Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Trifecta noob

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trifecta noob

Hey looking into buying a trifecta tune need some answers though

Is buying the cable worth it.. onlything holding me back from being fully bolted is an intercooler

Want to make sure I can retune once I buy the IC.

Want to run trifecta tune always and have GMS1 on through the traction button being on.

What would be a safe tune PSI, I have stock clutch at 18000 miles. not a lot of racing but WANT TO HAVE THE POWER!!! any advice will be helpful.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 PM

im in the same boat brother! as long as you dont go over 24psi i think you(we) should be good
Old 03-31-2011, 03:55 PM

Not really answering your question just saying that i ride a gixxer 1000 and drive a 09ss/tc lol saw your username and thought id share lol

I am getting trifecta tuned in kansas on the 9th of this month, just like you i am only missing and intercooler, but that will wait till next year and i will just make the 3 hour drive again to retune. and everyone is running about 21-24 psi on stock clutch, mine will be roughly 23-24psi tune....good luck
Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
corn gas ftw....

id run 14-16psi low boost and 23psi on high boost, that seems to be the best combo so far...

i bought the cable and love my decision! i get updates all the time, check any issues with check engine lights, and tune other all the time! if you tune others you will have paid for the price of the cable in not too long
Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the cable saves alot of headaches if you need to go back to the dealer for warranty work. safe boost most people run is 23 psi. just let vince now how you want the dual tune setup whether the cruise button or the traction button
Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM

Buy it. Tuned 2 nights ago today and will do sat also
Old 03-31-2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys. This is what I want.

22-24 psi ... possibly stay at 22psi for saftey reasons. I want that tune to be on all the time.. Will the dealership see the tune if I switch back to gms1 (putting the traction control off)? I thought the cable was only for retunes.. What else can you use it for?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Your kind of confusing. You want the tune on all the time... but when you turn traction control OFF you want it to be GMS1?

What your requesting is select-a-tune. You want 22psi when traction is off, not when its on.

Raise your rev limit to 7k, vince doesn't do this for you to begin with so its good to remember to ask.

The tune is supposed to be able to hide from dealers but I always remove it before going it. Whether its removed or not if the dealer really wants to know if your tuned they can see how many times the car has been flashed.

The cable can be used to tune other cars at a discounted price, you can also make money from this. Not something I recommend until your comfortable talking to vince and understand the tuning procedure.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by A8r9b
Your kind of confusing. You want the tune on all the time... but when you turn traction control OFF you want it to be GMS1?

What your requesting is select-a-tune. You want 22psi when traction is off, not when its on.

Raise your rev limit to 7k, vince doesn't do this for you to begin with so its good to remember to ask.

The tune is supposed to be able to hide from dealers but I always remove it before going it. Whether its removed or not if the dealer really wants to know if your tuned they can see how many times the car has been flashed.

The cable can be used to tune other cars at a discounted price, you can also make money from this. Not something I recommend until your comfortable talking to vince and understand the tuning procedure.
Yeah read it again and confused myself... lol Thanks for the information.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM

im trifecta GMS1 and 22-23 psi selectable tuned. redline at 6800. cat warmup delete. best thing ive ever done to my balt.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by A8r9b

FYI, from what Vince said, There is nothing that shows how many times your ECU was flashed in the Cobalt SS/TC...
Old 04-01-2011, 06:02 PM

So as a fellow trifecta noob, what all should we ask Vince for when getting the tune? Cat warm up delete, etc.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
So as a fellow trifecta noob, what all should we ask Vince for when getting the tune? Cat warm up delete, etc.
Selecatable Tune GMS1/24PSI trigger by cruise control or traction control

Redline at 6800 RPM
Remove cat over temp mode
Remove cat warmup mode

but thats if your cattless

i have my tune triggered by traction control, but ull find it hard to lean forward to push the button
but they say if u do the cruise control u might hit it in a race. idk
Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ctn3mb
FYI, from what Vince said, There is nothing that shows how many times your ECU was flashed in the Cobalt SS/TC...
I feel like I read a thread recently, but oh well, I can't find it. I remember he said it was undetectable over a year ago, I'll have to check with him again.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Now I'm sure there is a way for them to look deep to find if there was a tune on it. But as far as how many times it was flashed...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Turbalt2010
Selecatable Tune GMS1/24PSI trigger by cruise control or traction control

Redline at 6800 RPM
Remove cat over temp mode
Remove cat warmup mode

but thats if your cattless

i have my tune triggered by traction control, but ull find it hard to lean forward to push the button
but they say if u do the cruise control u might hit it in a race. idk

I don't have a catless downpipe, is it still ok to run it like that?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
I don't have a catless downpipe, is it still ok to run it like that?
not 100 percent sure, you would have to ask ur tuner i guess.

but if your going to spend the 300 to tune, you should get a catless dp and have your tuner shut off ur rear o2 sensor.

your main mods you want with your tune is a cattless DP or high flow catted DP and an intake
Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Turbalt2010
not 100 percent sure, you would have to ask ur tuner i guess.

but if your going to spend the 300 to tune, you should get a catless dp and have your tuner shut off ur rear o2 sensor.

your main mods you want with your tune is a cattless DP or high flow catted DP and an intake
Alright so how do I go about this. I want to be able to retune with out having to spend more money (when I mean more money I mean a lot more money 150+). Should I buy the cable? Will that allow me to just data log my car and send it with out going to a Trifecta dealer? I have a guy that lives buy me that is a trifecta dealer. Do I buy the cable and tune from him or do I just buy everything over the site? It will be 500 for tune and cable so I want to make myself retune able once i get my intercooler.

So I want a trigger for the GMS1 or the trifecta tune?
I was wondering can they fix Fuel trims of the GMS1 because my car is nasty the first minute of start up idle.
If they can fix Fuel trims of GMS1 then Ill have that on by default and the trifecta on the traction button. If they can't then damn. Any one try to pass emissions with the Trifecta tune?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM

you also have to remember its not all about the psi but about the mid range as well thats where the power comes in when you are talking to vince make sure you tell him that you are on stock clutch so you burn out it too quickly, but just remember it will go soon enough so start saving up
Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JacBlackSS/TC
you also have to remember its not all about the psi but about the mid range as well thats where the power comes in when you are talking to vince make sure you tell him that you are on stock clutch so you burn out it too quickly, but just remember it will go soon enough so start saving up
well im not going to race all the time or dog the car to much. Just want the power so if I am rolling down the street I can have that wonderful pull everyone claims they get so... I also heard that the LNF stock clutch can actually handle +/- 350hp at 3000-4000k and above pulls. that was read off the cobaltss.net site so I think it will handle the power nicely. Just want that extra bit.. and the 17th im going to Great lakes speedway and want to see what the car can do there. Probably be the only time I drag before a new clutch.

So to recap 22-23psi should be the best/safest right?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 PM

its not the horsepower its the tq rating the stock clutch is go until around 350wtq i think you may have got that mixed up, but you have to remember that our torque kicks in fairly early, i am not saying that you have to replace the clutch tomorrow but just be thinking about saving for it down the line, but yes 23 is the sweet spot but since you already have gms1 you can run gms1 as you stock tune still and trifecta as your other tune

but i was just speaking from personal experience i got trifecta back in november and then switched to hp/tf last month and my clutch started to go about 2 weeks ago and now its totally shot
Old 04-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
btw how much is the cable?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM

you can grab one off the forum for about 125-150 i think they are well over 200 from vince directly
Old 04-06-2011, 06:36 PM

paid 150 shipped for mine
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by JacBlackSS/TC
its not the horsepower its the tq rating the stock clutch is go until around 350wtq i think you may have got that mixed up, but you have to remember that our torque kicks in fairly early, i am not saying that you have to replace the clutch tomorrow but just be thinking about saving for it down the line, but yes 23 is the sweet spot but since you already have gms1 you can run gms1 as you stock tune still and trifecta as your other tune

but i was just speaking from personal experience i got trifecta back in november and then switched to hp/tf last month and my clutch started to go about 2 weeks ago and now its totally shot
Hey you know well more than I do about having that tune with our car. So im listening to everything you say. I am not a "i know it all" kind of guy. But thanks for the info, I am going to look around for that cable if anyone has one.

Quick Reply: Trifecta noob