War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

05 Cobalt SS vs Blue Mazdaspeed Protege

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Cobalt SS vs Blue Mazdaspeed Protege

From a 25 mile an hour roll I walked him, I remember racing him before I had exhaust and he was running stock boost and stock exhaust and I slaughtered him everytime. Not this time, I had to work to pull on him pretty hard. I won by 1 1/2 car lengths after 80. He was running more boost an had an exhaust system installed recently. All I could hear was this crazy BOV from his turbo everytime.

He was a good run. I walked him every race though.

I win
Old 07-21-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
From a 25 mile an hour roll I walked him, I remember racing him before I had exhaust and he was running stock boost and stock exhaust and I slaughtered him everytime. Not this time, I had to work to pull on him pretty hard. I won by 1 1/2 car lengths after 80. He was running more boost an had an exhaust system installed recently. All I could hear was this crazy BOV from his turbo everytime.

He was a good run. I walked him every race though.

I win
The Mazda's are quick but nothing close to the SS/SC (unless it's heavily modded). Imagine what you would have done if you had more boost and an exhaust
Old 07-21-2005, 10:26 AM
p7x

Originally Posted by dj4all
The Mazda's are quick but nothing close to the SS/SC (unless it's heavily modded). Imagine what you would have done if you had more boost and an exhaust
I just disagree with the mazdas are quick part. I think mazdas are slow, cept RX-7's which are insanely fast but thats the only one, especially the protege speed. I've driven one and raced one, they are really slow. My comments are based on my feelings toward a comment made by a friend of mine saying " The Mazda3speed will kill your car" I persoanlly dont think it will.

05 Arrival Blue SS S/C
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by p7x
I just disagree with the mazdas are quick part. I think mazdas are slow, cept RX-7's which are insanely fast but thats the only one, especially the protege speed. I've driven one and raced one, they are really slow. My comments are based on my feelings toward a comment made by a friend of mine saying " The Mazda3speed will kill your car" I persoanlly dont think it will.

05 Arrival Blue SS S/C
I guess what I was trying to say is that the Mazdaspeeds are quick in comparison to other compacts like the stock Mazda 3, stock Civic Si, SE-R's - you get the idea. I'm pretty sure a Cobalt LS wouldn't be able to keep up - IMO.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:24 PM

In stock form... the msp is not very quick, but in the twisties, you would be hard pressed to keep up. A modified (not really heavy modified), like mine with only exhaust, fmic, 10psi boost, intake would easily beat a SS.

Heavily modified msp's which includes forged internals, bigger turbo, manifold, afc, etc... are hitting mid to high 12's.

In stock form, it was only boosting at 5-6psi, the exhaust (downpipe is only 1.8 inches ID)is wicked restrictive, and the smic is about the size of a milk carton. I gained about 70-75 fwhp with my mods.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Originally Posted by p7x

05 Arrival Blue SS S/C
Old 07-21-2005, 04:34 PM

^^^When you say easlily beat an SS running 10psi, do you have proof? I've raced a fairly heavily modded Speed 5 and toasted him each and every time. I saw this same car at the local track in the carshow. He said he was boosting around 10psi. Don't talk unless you have proof! I agree most Mazda's are slow, I bet the SS gives the RX-8 one hell of a run. As far as the RX-7, they need to bring that car back!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

the mazda speed protege can hit 12 seconds on 10 psi but those cars are built worse than a matchbox car! the internals in you car are dieing as you know it! are you haveing detonation????? cus my friend had his remapped my mazda and was hitting 12 psi then BOOM bye bye pistons! if you re did the internals head and block then a mazda speed protege is a great car for the track.

i like the look of the car just the enigne is half garbage turbo is good to go thoe

But no was a MSP will walk a SS or RL with bolt ons you have to jack that boost juice
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Not sure if you know or not, but the rx8 is pretty slow out of the box. Personally, no I have not raced a SS, would love to, just to see how it stacks up. I have run stock evo's, sti's and srt4's, and can pull on them... The sti and evo from a roll of course. Don't get me wrong, I like the SS, hopefully chevy can give you guys some upgrades to dethrone the srt4. Also, a big part of it is the driver, and how well he/she can handle their cars.

Originally Posted by SS4ME
^^^When you say easlily beat an SS running 10psi, do you have proof? I've raced a fairly heavily modded Speed 5 and toasted him each and every time. I saw this same car at the local track in the carshow. He said he was boosting around 10psi. Don't talk unless you have proof! I agree most Mazda's are slow, I bet the SS gives the RX-8 one hell of a run. As far as the RX-7, they need to bring that car back!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:53 PM

I agree with you, not alot of thought was put into the internals. Especially if you are gonna slap a turbo on it. As far as the matchbox part, I assume you are referring to the internals. I've been at 10psi-13psi for 30k miles now. Alot of what you read about blown engines, bent rods, etc... where people that don't really know how to drive a turbo (heavy loads in low rpm's, stuff like that) and there are going to be bad apples in a basket, that happens with any make.

Again, just giving info, not trying to be an asshat or anything.

Originally Posted by cvenom2122
the mazda speed protege can hit 12 seconds on 10 psi but those cars are built worse than a matchbox car! the internals in you car are dieing as you know it! are you haveing detonation????? cus my friend had his remapped my mazda and was hitting 12 psi then BOOM bye bye pistons! if you re did the internals head and block then a mazda speed protege is a great car for the track.

i like the look of the car just the enigne is half garbage turbo is good to go thoe

But no was a MSP will walk a SS or RL with bolt ons you have to jack that boost juice
Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 PM

i like the mazdaspeeds, i thought they were quicker than that...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:15 PM

Thumbs up

yea bro i meant internals! I love the mazda speed protege the looks are hot and is nice i just wish they beefed up the internals! i would have bought one because they are cheap and easy to modify and yours looks great i would have got a blue or red one thoe to many peeps got the orange one
Old 07-21-2005, 07:46 PM

Damnit! An STi drove past me on the freeway last night, but couldn't run him cuz I was driving my wife's Ford Escape at the time
Old 07-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

click on the link to see a mazdapeed protege rape an srt-4 from a roll. and yes, mazda's can be very quick. never underestimate them.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....6-CEB2E7D7592B
Old 07-21-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
My comments are based on my feelings toward a comment made by a friend of mine saying " The Mazda3speed will kill your car" I persoanlly dont think it will.

05 Arrival Blue SS S/C

Rumour has it the MazdaSpeed 3 will have a 271hp 2.3 turbo. It will walk all over the SS/SC. and i like the SS/SC, but it won't be that fast.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:04 PM

it will have the same engine/turbo, but will be "detuned" from the 'speed6. Supposed to sell for about $25k. This info is from newest C&D. So, it will be less than 271hp, but don't know how much less.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned

I wish I could find the link, there was a kid who spent all this money to make his car fast but didn't touch his motor, just tuning and upping the boost and running juice.

That car went down quicker then a high school cheerleader on prom night.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DC52NV
click on the link to see a mazdapeed protege rape an srt-4 from a roll. and yes, mazda's can be very quick. never underestimate them.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....6-CEB2E7D7592B
That didn't seem very quick , he didn't get good pull until like 4th gear it sounded. Don't get me wrong that was cool and all but I thought rape would have been like a 5 - 6 length, not like a 1-3 car length win.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
That car went down quicker then a high school cheerleader on prom night.
HAHA....more like went down quicker than her prom dress..but yah that SRT4 got cooked
Old 07-22-2005, 12:34 AM

Being a former Mazda3 owner I can tell ya, the MZ3 is a quick, nice handling car. I like Chevy (Mazda=ford) so I traded for my LS coupe. The base MZ3 can hold it's own with most non-sc cars of the same class. The new Mazdaspeed3 will have a the same motor as the Mazdaspeed6, but de-tuned to about 240hp, but can easly be modded back up to the 270+ range.

Love my Cobalt and my Avalanche