War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

05 SS/SC vs. 493awhp Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i have been researching evo's a lot, going to purchase one in the next couple weeks. Not sure if i want a modified one yet or stock. If i buy modified the seller took the hit on the parts....but it may also lead to problems. Stock evos could of also been put back to stock and could also lead to problems. So hard to find a nice clean one not beat on
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty25RS
you are correct, and just to save weight in general.

Originally Posted by venum_us_2002
yeah i have been researching evo's a lot, going to purchase one in the next couple weeks. Not sure if i want a modified one yet or stock. If i buy modified the seller took the hit on the parts....but it may also lead to problems. Stock evos could of also been put back to stock and could also lead to problems. So hard to find a nice clean one not beat on
What kind of price are you looking at? There's a <6k mile yellow evo 8 on evolutionm going for like 18k i think. You could probably get it for 16k or so. I'm looking at evo's also, so if you give me an idea of what you're looking for, I'll let you know if I find one that fits your criteria.

Last edited by cakeeater; 04-12-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 AM

^u guys should be lookin at subarus. especially if you intend on racing.

It comes down to cost.

Evos are very expensive cars to race. constantly breaking stuff. Expect the best clutches to go out every 15k miles. The aftermarket ones even less miles. Expect a tranny rebuild at the latest 50k miles.

I've had my STi since new in '04 and the only expenses it has incurred due to wear-out or breaking were a clutch (its about to go out, the original 04 clutch, but its still daily driveable), brake pads (upgraded to hawk), and a new battery (partly user error for letting the car sit all winter and then jumping it so many times.)

Evos are high maintenance.
STis are cars you can actually afford to race.

Put it this way, I went to the track Sunday. Which car did I take? The STi.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 AM

Very clean looking cars. Love the way the EVO and STI look. What do you have done with the STI?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 AM

^u guys should be lookin at subarus. especially if you intend on racing.

It comes down to cost.

Evos are very expensive cars to race. constantly breaking stuff. Expect the best clutches to go out every 15k miles. The aftermarket ones even less miles. Expect a tranny rebuild at the latest 50k miles.

I've had my STi since new in '04 and the only expenses it has incurred due to wear-out or breaking were a clutch (its about to go out, the original 04 clutch, but its still daily driveable), brake pads (upgraded to hawk), and a new battery (partly user error for letting the car sit all winter and then jumping it so many times.)

Evos are high maintenance.
STis are cars you can actually afford to race.

Put it this way, I went to the track Sunday. Which car did I take? The STi.

I will politely disagree with you here. I've had 2 Evos and while i wont disagree with the expense that comes with the car, the STI can be just as bad. Expensive to modify, a bitch to work on yourself and piston rings made from glass (the same glass the Evo transmissions are made from albeit) along with a factory tune that knocks horribly due to its whacked WOT AFR. Both cars are perfectly dependable and will only succumb to maintenance due to normal wear and tear when they are stock. Which I'm betting your STI is closer to than your Evo

Dont get me wrong, I'm not hating on the STI. I just think that each car poses its own dilemmas.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM

disagreement acknowledged.
I may have a little bias since I used to own a 2g talon tsi awd and channel all my mitsu hate from it toward evos.

STi basically has stage 2 mods (intake, turbo-back exhaust, bunch of minor stuff) with my own tune & tein flex coilovers with electronic damping force controls, hawk HP+ brake pads.....and a shift knob. I meet the requirements of BSP class for AutoX whereas the Evo 8 BARELY stays in SM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM

that is one nasty evo.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM

disagreement acknowledged.
I may have a little bias since I used to own a 2g talon tsi awd and channel all my mitsu hate from it toward evos.

STi basically has stage 2 mods (intake, turbo-back exhaust, bunch of minor stuff) with my own tune & tein flex coilovers with electronic damping force controls, hawk HP+ brake pads.....and a shift knob. I meet the requirements of BSP class for AutoX whereas the Evo 8 BARELY stays in SM.
Ever hit up mid-ohio? I pretty much grew up there and I'll be there probably every other weekend this summer with whatever I'm driving at that point, which will be AWD I have decided.

As for your mitsubishi experience, I'm not surprised. second gen dsm's are some of the least reliable cars I have ever had the...pleasure? of working on. Whatever I get will be far from stock almost instantly, so I'm not worried about the shortcomings of the stock components. If I go sti, I will have to take care of the stock turbo and the block's shortcomings, while if I go evo, I will be having a long talk with the guys at shep It all depends which one I can get a better deal on and what modifications the previous owner has made.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:35 AM

The evo is more mid-ohio oriented. it still needs a bagillion dollars dropped in it before its ready for road-race use.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

The evo is more mid-ohio oriented. it still needs a bagillion dollars dropped in it before its ready for road-race use.
Your mom needs a bagillion dollars to be ready for road-race use.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM

^Its gettin a new battery today.

This car could be 'daily driveable' in the next 24 hrs.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

^Its gettin a new battery today.

This car could be 'daily driveable' in the next 24 hrs.
First Sunday in May. Spaghetti Warehouse. Beech.