War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

06 cobalt ss vs. 03 mustang svt @ philly street races

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mi6_
LOL. I'd like to see his '67 Mustang race an'03 SVT Cobra!

I wonder who would win???? Please..... They stopped making mustangs in '73.....

Yup, the 03 svt is every bit of a Mustang as the 60's cars. Good looks on the outside, Rwd, V8, boring interior, fun to drive. It's just much faster than all but a select few of the 60's cars.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:05 PM

ok so you beat a really really bad driver who burned out at the light and then missed a gear with your STG 3 Cobalt ..I think its good to keep some things inside
Old 01-31-2006, 03:14 PM
360 L337 User

there is no way it was really a 03 cobra. you'd still be sitting at the light.
like said above, in the 12's stock. the guy could granny shift and still smoke an 06 ss/sc.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Blainestang
I'd like to add that your friend is a moron. That statement is so stupid and biased it's not even funny. The Mustang's purpose always has been and always will be a RWD 2-door that provides great Fun/Bang-for-the-buck. The only Mustangs that you could argue didn't meet these goals was the 74-78's. If anything, the current Mustang is doing a better job of beating the competition for less money than the originals did.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 64.5 - 70 Mustangs, but to pretend like they don't make "real" Mustangs is ignorant at best.

Back on topic, I believe that this could happen with the mods that you have. I've seen '03 Cobra's run into the high 13's before, maybe even low 14's on a terrible run. But an important note is that I watched the same exact car go 12.9@113 bone stock, so put a decent driver behind the wheel and the Cobra will walk you like your standing on the brakes. Still, congrats on the wins.
Agreed, the '03-04 Cobras are THE most powerful mustang ever to roll out of Dearborn...PERIOD. That includes the BOSS 429 and the cars like it.

Jon
Old 01-31-2006, 08:57 PM

Aggreed with jon, my friend has a orange 03+ cobra, basic bolt-ons pushing 500+whp, The cobra is a sick car, until i see a video i say bs.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by BLKSS
BS too. 60ft 2.2 on a bad day? Thats impressive.
i guess it just goesto show that people really don't know whats possilbe and whats fact. and let me tell you no bs here on my 60 foot time id say my adverage on launching this car is 2.2 2.3 somewhere around there and I have definatly cut a 2.0 and 2.1 consistantly. As for the mustang I never mentioned there was anything done to it so its a 12.9 sec car at best which is quite easy for a car to catch thats got 270 hp or so and wieghs less than 3000. The fact is I was there and so were all my buddies and our eyes don't lie. We all saw a guy in a mustang that couldn't launch, roll off the light and then once got it rolling in first and granny shift into sec was no where close to me. as soon as I can i'll get the video posted on streetfire sothe none believers can see.

And yes real mustang production stopped in 73 and theres no way an svt even compares to a gt 500 or a boss 429
Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by urnext
And yes real mustang production stopped in 73 and theres no way an svt even compares to a gt 500 or a boss 429
Please stop with what your buddy told you. I said more powerful, now whether or not that makes it "real" or not I guess is a matter of opinion.

Jon
Old 01-31-2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by MacG321
i was thinking the same thing.... im actually sick of him sidebusting every thread about streetracing.

As a mod, he/she/it really shouldnt be doing that, but for some reason it still continues...
Old 01-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BullDog71ss
As a mod, he/she/it really shouldnt be doing that, but for some reason it still continues...
you sir are correct. sorry about that guys.

i'll clean it up.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by DC52NV
please show me every single thread in war stories that i "sidebust". there are hundreds of threads in the war stories section alone. i know i haven't commented in every single one of them. and that sidebusting rule was for the "for sale" section not "war stories". kthx
You do however continue to give your pointless oppinion against streetracing in a section MADE for it. You can bitch and whine about streetracing untill you're blue in the face, but no one in this forum will give a rats' ass about your oppinion. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that well over half the members of this site currently, or have streetraced before. You're preaching to the wrong crowd here ya know?

I'm not trying to be an ass, and I don't dislike you or anything, but it just seems pointless don't it?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

You do however continue to give your pointless oppinion against streetracing in a section MADE for it. You can bitch and whine about streetracing untill you're blue in the face, but no one in this forum will give a rats' ass about your oppinion. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that well over half the members of this site currently, or have streetraced before. You're preaching to the wrong crowd here ya know?

I'm not trying to be an ass, and I don't dislike you or anything, but it just seems pointless don't it?
war stories does not just say "street racing". other forum i post in has war stories sections as well and all threads started in that section are all at the track. not even one thread about street racing. i know every forum is different but it's getting rediculous in this section. guess it's the kind of car it is and the people that drive them. just don't want people to get hurt out there doing stupid things that doesn't prove anything. go to the track and get your time slip like tofu and prove your ability to drive and power. /
Old 01-31-2006, 10:36 PM

..............i know every forum is different but it's getting rediculous in this section. guess it's the kind of car it is and the people that drive them. just don't want people to get hurt out there doing stupid things that doesn't prove anything. go to the track and get your time slip like tofu and prove your ability to drive and power. /
well when the tracks free, open everynight of the weekend and give you the adrenaline rush of street racing, street racing will be obsolete until then asphalt is asphalt and I know a lot of people that are gunna lay some rubber outside the track
BRAD
Old 01-31-2006, 11:41 PM

war stories does not just say "street racing". other forum i post in has war stories sections as well and all threads started in that section are all at the track. not even one thread about street racing. i know every forum is different but it's getting rediculous in this section. guess it's the kind of car it is and the people that drive them. just don't want people to get hurt out there doing stupid things that doesn't prove anything. go to the track and get your time slip like tofu and prove your ability to drive and power. /
I agree that the track is a much better and MUCH safer environment to be racing at, but that won't stop me and a bunch of others from having the occasional street run in the wee hours of the night from time to time. Not everyone that does race on the street is a complete moron about it. I have to say that some of the things in videos I've seen irritate the hell out of me. Racing in and weaving through traffic is so god aweful stupid. I won't have anything to do with that noise.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

I agree that the track is a much better and MUCH safer environment to be racing at, but that won't stop me and a bunch of others from having the occasional street run in the wee hours of the night from time to time. Not everyone that does race on the street is a complete moron about it. I have to say that some of the things in videos I've seen irritate the hell out of me. Racing in and weaving through traffic is so god aweful stupid. I won't have anything to do with that noise.
oh i know what you mean by some of these vids. i bite my tongue a good 85% of the time. sucks being a moderator in cases like that. can't really say what's on my mind. i try to stay away from war stories but someone else will link me to one and just too tempting to leave alone. i've improved alot though in controlling myself.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:58 PM

Exactly, if your going to street race do it responsibly, i know that sounds stupid, the nearest track is about 45mins from my house since 75/80 dragway closed down for good so going to the track is such a pain the drive the money to race all that, i dont street race alot, it is much more safer for me to go to the track, i do that as much as i can instead of racing on the street, but racing on the street does happen.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:05 AM

Yup, the 03 svt is every bit of a Mustang as the 60's cars. Good looks on the outside, Rwd, V8, boring interior, fun to drive. It's just much faster than all but a select few of the 60's cars.
I'm not sure if ANY of the 60's muscle cars could run a 13.0 flat in stock form. Wasn't the Challenger one of the fastest? It ran like mid-high 13's?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by phxSS
I'm not sure if ANY of the 60's muscle cars could run a 13.0 flat in stock form. Wasn't the Challenger one of the fastest? It ran like mid-high 13's?
I believe the 1970 454 ss chevelles were around the 12 second range and I think the 427 Shelby mustangs were there as well. Although the Shelby wasnt really a production car. There were some pretty damn fast cars from back in the day, but nothing like what is coming off the production lines today. However, there is something special about the products of the 50's, 60's and early 70's that car companys seem to have lost and are trying in vein to recapture.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:15 AM

I believe the 1970 454 ss chevelles were around the 12 second range and I think the 427 Shelby mustangs were there as well. Although the Shelby wasnt really a production car. There were some pretty damn fast cars from back in the day, but nothing like what is coming off the production lines today. However, there is something special about the products of the 50's, 60's and early 70's that car companys seem to have lost and are trying in vein to recapture.
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...s-50fast.shtml
Old 02-01-2006, 10:55 AM

Hey, I was pretty close then wasn't I.

I love how they have the LT1 Camaro fast than the LS1 What a joke. I think that sites stats may be off a bit. We all know the LS1 can touch 12 in stock form.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 AM

i believe that u beat him only on the simple fact that the 03 cobra is a hard car to race with. ive been driving a stick since i was 8 (im from nebraska, ie farm truck), and my buddy let me try and race with it at the track, he was drunk and he wanted to see what it ran. my best time was in the mid to upper 13s and that was after alot of runs. the biggest problem people have racing them is going from 1st to 4th the shiftin is very very close. thats what i did the first couple times.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:52 PM

Not many people have problems shifting 1st to 2nd. Most people have problems going from 2nd to 3rd, many times it will go into 5th gear instead of third.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Not many people have problems shifting 1st to 2nd. Most people have problems going from 2nd to 3rd, many times it will go into 5th gear instead of third.
Or, more often than not the thing won't go into a gear at all. The 2nd-3rd shift requires a passenger standing by with a prybar to help you shift. The clutch also requires that your strap a brick to your foot for extra help while depressing the clutch. The car really is a miserable vehicle to drive, but damn is it fast.

Even with all the issues I could still tear my SS a new one in my buddies 03 cobra and I've only driven the Cobra once.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 PM

i guess it just goesto show that people really don't know whats possilbe and whats fact. and let me tell you no bs here on my 60 foot time id say my adverage on launching this car is 2.2 2.3 somewhere around there and I have definatly cut a 2.0 and 2.1 consistantly. As for the mustang I never mentioned there was anything done to it so its a 12.9 sec car at best which is quite easy for a car to catch thats got 270 hp or so and wieghs less than 3000. The fact is I was there and so were all my buddies and our eyes don't lie. We all saw a guy in a mustang that couldn't launch, roll off the light and then once got it rolling in first and granny shift into sec was no where close to me. as soon as I can i'll get the video posted on streetfire sothe none believers can see.

Like I said before, I believe that this COULD have happened, and I am likely the most hard-core Mustang enthusiast on here. The Cobra's IRS makes it a difficult car to launch, and the Cobra, like ANY Mustang, needs an aftermarket shifter to help clean up the 2-3 shift. Again, the car is capable of mid-12's stock, but it doesn't take much to make that mid-high 13's which is probably what your Cobalt is capable of.

Now, I'm going to have to disagree again about the "real" Mustangs. I dare you to give me one good reason why any Mustang from 79-05 is not a "real" Mustang. The only car on that Muscle car list that is faster than a stock '03 Cobra is the 427 Shelby Cobra... hardly a normal car. Bang-for-the-buck is what the Mustang and the pony-car segment it pioneered has always been about, and it's doing the same thing today that it did 42 years ago.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by phxSS
man your way off with this statement, the 1969 zl1 camaro was one of the fastest production cars ever made there weren't a whole lot made but enough to be considered a mass prodution car. And for the record they ran in the 11's. For everyone that doesn't know they had a full aluminum engine that was a 427. Pretty much everycar that came with a hemi was also fast as **** sorry though i duno anytimes off the top of my head but i know the smaller cars could easyily touch 12s.

The reason why a mustang from 79-present is not a real mustang is because you can't replace a car and then bring it back a few years later becuase the one you put in its placewas a piece of ****. When the real mustang production ended there were no more mustangs just mustang II's everything after that is a Mustang II or I guess since they stopped porduction of the mustang II its a mustang III just unbadged.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:27 PM

The reason why a mustang from 79-present is not a real mustang is because you can't replace a car and then bring it back a few years later becuase the one you put in its placewas a piece of ****. When the real mustang production ended there were no more mustangs just mustang II's everything after that is a Mustang II or I guess since they stopped porduction of the mustang II its a mustang III just unbadged.

You are making absolutely no sense, man. You're saying that because the Mustang line hit a lull during the gas crunch that every Mustang, regaurdless of performance is a fake Mustang, or a rebadged Mustang II??? What a joke. Ever since the 5.0's were started up the mustangs have been the real deal, end of story.

I also want to add that there were one or two Mustang II models that were very cool cars and still had a good amount of muscle.

Quick Reply: 06 cobalt ss vs. 03 mustang svt @ philly street races