War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Altima 3.5 5MT vs. Cobalt SS/SC and '05 SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altima 3.5 5MT vs. Cobalt SS/SC and '05 SRT-4

Sup guys, I am a new member here and know member Ajjaro on here from nissanclub.com. He owns a SS/SC and a Maxima. He commented on this following story, and I'm looking to find another SS/SC cobalt around town to race and record the outcome, whichever way it may fall. I prefer to find a relatively stock SS but a stage 1 or 2 is fine too!!

Copy from NissanClub: (check out our forum we have a good 'war stories' section too

I found an area of town where lots of kids roll around in the evening with their cars. Not a smart area to race around with traffic and probably cops listening and looking.

I saw a kid in a silver SRT-4 eyeing my car as I was turning and caught up to me and made lots of noises with his blow off valve behind me. I threw out the peace sign and slowed down and asked if he wanted to do a highway run since there's lots of deserted highways nearby. He said no way and that he had been arrested for that (not surprised, here he is trying to race me near a busy strip). But we did a couple 40-70mph pulls where the road was clear ahead of us and it was pretty even with the altima pulling just a few feet on him from 40-60 and then he would start to pull up on me past that, but we didn't go any farther than 70 before we would shut it down to keep it safe. Racing the SRT4 next to me was cool because I could hear his tires breaking loose more as the turbo spooled. I remember lighting up the tires in 2nd gear when i test drove one also.

After that guy, two cobalts were racing ahead of me. I seemed to easily keep up with them from behind. One turned left, and I went straight onto a country road with the other kid and his gf. I asked if he wanted to run and I gotta say I totally murdered this guy 3 times. 2 runs from 40 to about 85 I probably put 4-5 cars on him it was ridiculous. Then we stopped and talked for a bit and he said he was in shock and wanted to know my mods. Quote from his mouth "Is that just an altima? is it stock?". Me "Yup, just an altima with intake and y-pipe" I forgot to ask him but I know he had an exhaust as seen from the rear. I asked him if he was sc or tc that's it, although obviously i knew it was sc. The run from a dig the altima murdered this thing again.

In a recent thread I was hypothesizing that the SC cobalt would hang with us decently, but it wasn't even a competition. It definitely had some midrange and it tried to keep up from 40-55 I could still see it over my shoulder drifting back and hear the s/c working. After 55 my 2nd gear put a lot of ground on him up through 70ish and after throwing it into 3rd it pretty much wasn't even worth it I could see him in my rear view mirror. That thing would need a lot of work done to hang with our cars.

It was 59 degrees out and I had 1/4 tank, and my car was rippin hard. Thanks for reading and I wish I had a passenger to film.

Update to this, met up with modded Redline from forum and we had some fun. https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/war-stories-54/redline-vs-altima-3-5-5mt-carlson_mn-196277/

Last edited by carlson_mn; 11-21-2009 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Mid 14's and you "murdered" him?

Not to play the typical, "no way you could ever beat a Cobalt SS/SC" but something isn't adding up there.

Either way, nice.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Yup, I had mediocre tire spinning times at the track in 99 degree weather running in August in Oklahoma mid-day heat. I posted my times to let y'all know what my car is actually doing, because I don't claim to have a fast car or even a very fast Altima 3.5. However, with a 2.45 60' foot and a hot ass engine, my time wasn't too bad.

that's why I am looking to back it up with a local SS, or put the SS on top if it ends up that way. Fun **** if you ask me either way!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:14 PM

def don't add up, a stock ss/sc should still tear up a altima, especially from a roll
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by austinss
def don't add up, a stock ss/sc should still tear up a altima, especially from a roll
You, sir, are in for a surprise. Find me a hommie to race and if he tears up my altima, I will own up to it.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 PM

Now you need to race a real SS
Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM

I respect you coming on the forum to share , not going to ****-talk.

For christ's sake we drive Cobalts!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Like I posted, I talked to the guy after the roll race, and asked if he was SC or TC, and he told me SC ( I heard the SC though... was just making convo and lettin' him know I am familiar with SS's). He said he was shocked he lost and wanted to know my mods. I said I'd give him a dig race too so we lined up for that too and I put quite a few car lengths between us by the end of 2nd. Even if he can't drive I say he shoulda been able to do a simple roll race. I respect Cobalt SS's a lot, and that's why I'm looking to give them another chance. I'd love to see how close I can hang to a TC, and I'm confident I'll walk a SC given it isn't heavily modded.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by carlson_mn
Like I posted, I talked to the guy after the roll race, and asked if he was SC or TC, and he told me SC ( I heard the SC though... was just making convo and lettin' him know I am familiar with SS's). He said he was shocked he lost and wanted to know my mods. I said I'd give him a dig race too so we lined up for that too and I put quite a few car lengths between us by the end of 2nd. Even if he can't drive I say he shoulda been able to do a simple roll race. I respect Cobalt SS's a lot, and that's why I'm looking to give them another chance. I'd love to see how close I can hang to a TC, and I'm confident I'll walk a SC given it isn't heavily modded.
doesn't make sense... WATCH
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by schamsy
doesn't make sense... WATCH
thanks for posting... that's just the kind of thoughts I'd figured a lot of SS drivers would have so that will make this even better.

As far as that vid goes... that's a stage 2 cobalt, and other than the lauch, it looks like the Altima hangs right next to it the rest of the race....
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 PM

You lose me when you imply you'd walk me as I'm not heavily modded, and I pull mid 13 car's from a roll. Once again, not fast, but faster?

Round up the regional forum.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 PM

No man, I'm not dissing your car, I've got friends with ss/sc's and one friend with an altima 3.5. I like the altima, but in a roll race, a ss/sc should win. Not saying you didn't win but maybe he wasn't the greatest driver( the ultimate excuse, I know).
Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schulte
You lose me when you imply you'd walk me as I'm not heavily modded, and I pull mid 13 car's from a roll. Once again, not fast, but faster?

Round up the regional forum.
Seems like you have a fast car. I pulled a half car on an '08 Stang GT with exhaust from 40-90, I read your race against an 09.

No man, I'm not dissing your car, I've got friends with ss/sc's and one friend with an altima 3.5. I like the altima, but in a roll race, a ss/sc should win. Not saying you didn't win but maybe he wasn't the greatest driver( the ultimate excuse, I know).
I also assume he wasn't the greatest. So yea see if you can find me an opponent! I'll bring the camera, it will be great! As long as they're outright with their mods... I'd have no idea by looking if they're running 10psi or 25psi.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good drivers of stock ss/sc's will run low 14's.... decent drivers mid 14's... **** driver high 14's or worse. The cobalt is a bitch to launch, especially with the instant power of the supercharger. So what you're going to get is a bunch of young people, who don't have much driving experience let alone racing experience **** up the race lol. I think you'll be in the middle with the decent drivers, maybe bordering the good stock drivers. Good driver in a modded cobalt? Not a chance. That's all from a dig. From a roll, I'm going to give even a stock cobalt the advantage if the guy doesn't totally **** up the shifts. Any modded cobalt shoudl pull pretty hard. Our cars start to show their power once you get out of first, which if you have any kinda power you can't go more than half throttle on street tires.

That being said, I would say your best chance is from a dig. Welcome to the site, and don't mind the haters. Some people think the cobalt is invincible, and will talk **** just because you have a different car. They're little kids e-thuggin the intarwebz....ignore them.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 PM

^ Thanks. I appreciate all responses and am used to the haters, they're not too bad on the Altima forum as most of us are a bit older, but they're around. From the magazines, seems like a stock SS/SC will trap anywhere from 95-100mph. I think it should be a good race. One of my neighbors drives a SS/SC, but she's a pregnant chick so I've never even bothered to talk to her about a race, lol.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Banned

^ Thanks. I appreciate all responses and am used to the haters, they're not too bad on the Altima forum as most of us are a bit older, but they're around. From the magazines, seems like a stock SS/SC will trap anywhere from 95-100mph. I think it should be a good race. One of my neighbors drives a SS/SC, but she's a pregnant chick so I've never even bothered to talk to her about a race, lol.
99% trap between 98-100 stock.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Seems like you have a fast car. I pulled a half car on an '08 Stang GT with exhaust from 40-90, I read your race against an 09.

I also assume he wasn't the greatest. So yea see if you can find me an opponent! I'll bring the camera, it will be great! As long as they're outright with their mods... I'd have no idea by looking if they're running 10psi or 25psi.
Im sorry that doesnt add up, here in this video, it doesnt even pulls 2 cars on a V6 mustang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dAyG97Kx88&feature=fvw
Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Good deal man, wichita falls huh? I was there for a month and a half at Sheppard AFB.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
Im sorry that doesnt add up, here in this video, it doesnt even pulls 2 cars on a V6 mustang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dAyG97Kx88&feature=fvw
No offense but what's up with all the links to random races with none of us involved in them?

Hell, here's an actual race of me against the said mustang I raced! The mustang driver and I talked a bit at the track just chillen, and after we left the track we did a couple runs on the highway which is what I referenced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4pEDyHci24
Old 11-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

can you guys stop ricer racing by posting videos that have nothing to do with anything... I beat a ******* big turbo supra in my AUTOMATIC 2.2 when I had one... does that mean I can beat 10 second cars??
Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 PM

Good deal man, wichita falls huh? I was there for a month and a half at Sheppard AFB.
Yeah man, cool. I am here for 11 F-in months cross training. It's by choice though, I'm in the DoD BioMed. Equipment school which is the best in the country. I'm in the guard back home in MN and look forward to making a new career with this education back home.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 PM

I was there for aircraft refueling (POL) and I now obtain a technician job here at the guard base for financial management, I go to school at Keesler (Beluxe,Mississippi) in June for 3 months.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 PM

Ive raced my buddys dads 2009 3.5 altima auto. From a dig I would pull about 3 cars or so by the end of 3rd. From a 40-130 I would rape him.. the higher the speed the faster he would fall back.. Im stage 2
Very nice car thoe
Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 PM

not true, this model year can trap up to 100 mph, average being 99 mph in the sedan.... it should be a dead heat on paper
Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 AM

I had an 02 Maxima with a 6 speed that ran a 14.36 at 98.5 with a k+n. It's possible that it could beat a stock ss/sc but in no way would it kill one.

The Altima could win and im not doubting that...i'm wondering what was wrong with the cobalt to get beat so bad.

Last edited by slowstang; 11-20-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Altima 3.5 5MT vs. Cobalt SS/SC and '05 SRT-4