War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

REDLINE VS Altima 3.5 5MT (Carlson_mn)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REDLINE VS Altima 3.5 5MT (Carlson_mn)

so after Carlson_mn posted about walking a stock sc (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/war-stories-54/altima-3-5-5mt-vs-cobalt-ss-sc-05-srt-4-a-196138/) i wanted to see wuts up, and after tonight i totally believe he can murder a stock sc.

so meet up its raining so we drive about hour where is wasnt raining. we did about 8 total runs. I have 2.9 42's pacesetter header and downpipe, and stock cooling, i think he has intake and no mufflers sounds amazing. the first 2 runs we did a 60 punch and he had me til about 80 and started to past him. we did dig he got me til about 80 again then i started to pull him. we did a 40 and i pulled about 2-3 cars. by now i have to be heat soaked and could smell my clutch not sure if it was slipping or just hot. then we did a few more 40 punchs and he has tape of one of these. then we did 10-120 sh spun til 60 he has a vid of this also. had a great time

cliff notes
race Carlson_mn Altima 3.5 5MT
40 punch had a bout 2-3
from a dig he had me real good til about 80

totally surprise me, he will chime in and put in his view of the races tonight, he is a stand up guy.

Last edited by airshark360; 11-21-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:03 AM

Shark posted it up pretty straight up. I had only raced the one Cobalt SS/SC before so I didn't know what to expect, but I knew I should get beat by a stage 2+ Redline. I did, but it was pretty competitive and they were fun races. No doubt his Ion is a beast from a roll. He pulls pretty good from a 40 roll with me. From a dig I shift from 1st to 2nd around 45 and my car picks up a lot better from that point. His car is faster, especially up on the top end. In addition to our lined up, roll races, we did a few 3rd gear runs on the highway and he pulls those couple cars on me between 80-100 and then I was able to kind of hang behind him. One highway roll we went up to about 135 and I was probably about 3 cars back. My 1st gear seems to get up on him and pulls on him. Redline shift into 2nd I'm able to hold him off, but his nose goes from my rear bumper to my door by end of 2nd, and during 3rd his midrange boost pulls him a good 2-3 cars on me by about 95, at which point my top end seems to start to hang with him again.

Here's the vids. They're nothing special, and the races aren't 100% lined up, so take them for what they are. I was steering, and shifting at WOT while trying to film!

This is the 40 roll in 2nd gear. His car is a beast from this roll. I think we both let off after he pulled 2 cars as it wasn't the best place to be racing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeL_ikTRk50

This is the race from about a 10 roll. The vid makes it look like I seriously jump the gun on him but I don't think it was really that bad. It wasn't that easy to do everything perfect while honking, filming, and what not with traffic behind us on the merge lanes... I had about a 1/2 car lead on this one at the start but I think we floored it at the same time. I always waited till after the 3rd honk to hit it to keep it fair. He is spinning either his tires or the clutch for a while in his 2nd gear. I'm able to keep about a car on him until about 100 when I have to shift into 4th, and it's at the bottom of my gear there where he zooms past and put those car lengths on me. At 115-120 you can see that lead is about 1.5 cars ahead of me or so... sorry i quit filming but i had some other priorities than holding the camera that that point, lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJp84ylbaWM

It is what it is and it was a lot of fun. AirShark is an awesome guy and was super cool meeting up and sticking with it to find some dry grounds to open 'em up. His car is fast, faster than mine, and much, much faster than the stock cobalt SS/SC I put a beating on. The supercharger sounds awesome winding up next to me. Sounds like an electric jet engine spooling up!

Last edited by carlson_mn; 11-21-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on the second link: The URL contained a malformed video ID.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:07 AM

Thanks - I am re uploading it now, although I was able to view it fine.
Should be fixed now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJp84ylbaWM
Old 11-21-2009, 02:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice lil video

and those races sounded exciting
Old 11-21-2009, 02:12 AM

ya idk how the op with the red line was driving but thats how i pull on my buddys max from the first vid ....nice car i hope your altima is a ser i almost was gonna buy a ser but deal fell threw
Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by blue05ss/sc
ya idk how the op with the red line was driving but thats how i pull on my buddys max from the first vid ....nice car i hope your altima is a ser i almost was gonna buy a ser but deal fell threw
SE-R's have 6 speed or 5 sp auto. My SE model has 5sp manual. The SE-R is mostly a handling package and has different bumpers, and the close ration 6 speed. Same engines. From a 40 roll he easily pulls 2-3 cars one me. My midrange(3.5k-5k) is good, but has nothing on his. I think my low-end may be stronger as my car jumps on him in 1st gear. My top end may not be as powerful as his, but his car didn't pull much once we both got up to speed. Our cars have almost identical gearing (3rd gear on my car goes 70-106) and he pulls good both at 70-80 and also from 100-115. His car keeps going when we shift, mine takes a bit to catch back up.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by carlson_mn
SE-R's have 6 speed or 5 sp auto. My SE model has 5sp manual. The SE-R is mostly a handling package and has different bumpers, and the close ration 6 speed. Same engines. From a 40 roll he easily pulls 2-3 cars one me. My midrange(3.5k-5k) is good, but has nothing on his. I think my low-end may be stronger as my car jumps on him in 1st gear. My top end may not be as powerful as his, but his car didn't pull much once we both got up to speed. Our cars have almost identical gearing (3rd gear on my car goes 70-106) and he pulls good both at 70-80 and also from 100-115. His car keeps going when we shift, mine takes a bit to catch back up.
nice runs... there was an other member interested with 60's a 2.8 and cooling mods... big difference from a 2.9 with 42's and no cooling mods...

the next time you meet up i would like to see shark race a 2.8 60 etc... to see the advantage of 60s and cooling mods over an over worked 42 and 2.9...

did you find any with i/h/e to race?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ajjaro
nice runs... there was an other member interested with 60's a 2.8 and cooling mods... big difference from a 2.9 with 42's and no cooling mods...

the next time you meet up i would like to see shark race a 2.8 60 etc... to see the advantage of 60s and cooling mods over an over worked 42 and 2.9...

Right now I have 2 prospects in my local town. One is a local guy who has a TC with intake and downpipe. Not exactly a SC, but I have always wanted to race a TC too.

A guy said he would be in my town first weekend of December and said he'd like to meet up, so I think we could make that happen easy. He said he's got a mostly stock SC.

AirShark thinks I will be able to run damn near nose to nose or pull on a stock TC, since he says he is also able to beat stock TCs. I think it would all just depend, the VQ and the SC/TC have their own different strengths. For example I got owned on a 40 roll by AirShark, but from a dig he doesn't pull on me till about 80ish. Remember, I raced the stock SC and was able to easily pull away pretty good from two different 40-45 rolls. From the dig the stock SC fell back car lengths whereas AirShark hung right next to me in my blindspot. I'm sure he's a better driver too.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 AM

If the TC has a tune I would forget about it, but without a tune even with bolt ons he might as well be stock because there is a factory learn down feature which keeps the power at stock levels.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:49 AM

i do have a i/h/ downpipe and getting a heat exhanger tomorrow. my car is quick i have a good tuner and geting retune next weekend since i now have header and heat exchanger.

Carlson's car is fast i did not see that coming, when i was stock i was able to be a SER from a 60 roll pretty good. i am not stock at all not sure why his car is pulls like that but it does. I thought it wasnt going to straight up destroy him but i was wrong. no doubt in my mind he is faster than a stock SER and stock 350z.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 AM

When the 3.5 Altima came out with a 6-speed manual, those were officially the quickest FWD production car on the market. Not surprised.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned

yeah not complaining but you got him in first cause yours is wayyyy longer like they should've made ours. 1st gear is useless on these cars only goes up to like 25 or 30 maybe. whole time you're spinning or breaking things for the most part lmao.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by daythecountrydied21
yeah not complaining but you got him in first cause yours is wayyyy longer like they should've made ours. 1st gear is useless on these cars only goes up to like 25 or 30 maybe. whole time you're spinning or breaking things for the most part lmao.
lol, I agree short first gears are difficult to work with on high power cars like his. Pretty sure his 1st gear goes past 25-30 tho. I think the cars are geared similarly. My tires light up easy in 1st I have to modulate the throttle big time.

And yea, here's some 1st gear spinnage by the Redline and my car, also you're able to hear my car somewhat in this one. This wasn't a serious pull just both of us hitting it in 1st gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEsVoAyctDk

Last edited by carlson_mn; 11-21-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:28 PM

from the vids it looks like u guys race in populated spots.........not to smart bra
Old 11-21-2009, 01:41 PM

^thanks dad. no traffic weaving or anything though, just on open stretches ahead of us.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Right now I have 2 prospects in my local town. One is a local guy who has a TC with intake and downpipe. Not exactly a SC, but I have always wanted to race a TC too.

A guy said he would be in my town first weekend of December and said he'd like to meet up, so I think we could make that happen easy. He said he's got a mostly stock SC.

AirShark thinks I will be able to run damn near nose to nose or pull on a stock TC, since he says he is also able to beat stock TCs. I think it would all just depend, the VQ and the SC/TC have their own different strengths. For example I got owned on a 40 roll by AirShark, but from a dig he doesn't pull on me till about 80ish. Remember, I raced the stock SC and was able to easily pull away pretty good from two different 40-45 rolls. From the dig the stock SC fell back car lengths whereas AirShark hung right next to me in my blindspot. I'm sure he's a better driver too.
it depends what speed you gop to with the tc... they have very good top end, ss/sc do not
Old 11-21-2009, 03:17 PM

good races, like to see friendly competition
Old 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM

^thanks dad. no traffic weaving or anything though, just on open stretches ahead of us.

so who are you paul walker or vin diesal?......shoulda used more nos ...sorry had to be a dick
Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned

so who are you paul walker or vin diesal?......shoulda used more nos ...sorry had to be a dick
fail
Old 11-21-2009, 07:26 PM

good race man cant wait till we run them some time
Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by daythecountrydied21
fail
x2
Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

x2
anyone who enjoys driving their car and bitches about street racing should be shot in the face. one knows when it is a proper time and place to do so..i.e. non busy highway . people doing it on cityish streets and **** are stupid but those are usually the wiggers with civics so go figure .
Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 PM

my 5.5 gen maxima whipped a couple S/Cs totally believable. obviously they had to be stock but i saw 99mph traps with the thing... stroooong midrange
Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by MaxVQ35DE
my 5.5 gen maxima whipped a couple S/Cs totally believable. obviously they had to be stock but i saw 99mph traps with the thing... stroooong midrange
That's impossible!

Quick Reply: REDLINE VS Altima 3.5 5MT (Carlson_mn)