War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

GTO vs Stage 2 + Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c0ld29
man I'm considering getting a GTO now after all these threads... haha good race
Why? If you want speed just get an LS1 f-body. Fast if not faster then the GTO. GTO weighs too much for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
Why? If you want speed just get an LS1 f-body. Fast if not faster then the GTO. GTO weighs too much for me.
actually my friend loves GTO's so I've been looking around at them with him, and I like em too besides them being so big, but in all actuality as soon as I pay the balt off I would like to get a c5 corvette. I was just saying that it seems every thread I read about a s2 cobalt vrs GTO ends up in a loss for us cobalts.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:46 AM

I have personally pulled on a couple 6.0's on the highway. Choose to believe that or not, I'm not here to bullshit or brag but thats the fact. At the track... well that's a completely different story, FWD blows

It drives me nuts seeing all these GTO owners coming on the Cobalt forums braggin about taking down a 4cyl 2 liter car... Why not go try to find a Z06, 427R, Shelby, or hell even a Supra and get some real bragging rights... It really doesn't impress me to hear your 6.0 took down a Stage 2 Cobalt the other night... End Rant...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 607Motorsports
I have personally pulled on a couple 6.0's on the highway. Choose to believe that or not, I'm not here to bullshit or brag but thats the fact. At the track... well that's a completely different story, FWD blows

It drives me nuts seeing all these GTO owners coming on the Cobalt forums braggin about taking down a 4cyl 2 liter car... Why not go try to find a Z06, 427R, Shelby, or hell even a Supra and get some real bragging rights... It really doesn't impress me to hear your 6.0 took down a Stage 2 Cobalt the other night... End Rant...

So that is different how, then the Z06, 427R driver should be held in the same regard as the GTO driver that raced a Cobalt.

Look at it this way we race what coes our way, if it happens to be a Cobalt oh well. I had a SS/SC and know how they run thats why I am here. The other GTO guys came here because alot of the easily BS stories reached beyond CSS.net.

Also think about this a modded SS/SC or SRT-4 kills stock Mustang GT's left and right so racing a GT in a GTO is barely rewarding. The argument of displacement or number of cylinders is a weak mans excuse. When the said 4 cylinder is competition for alot of todays and yesterdays V8's who cares if we race them?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
So that is different how, then the Z06, 427R driver should be held in the same regard as the GTO driver that raced a Cobalt.

Look at it this way we race what coes our way, if it happens to be a Cobalt oh well. I had a SS/SC and know how they run thats why I am here. The other GTO guys came here because alot of the easily BS stories reached beyond CSS.net.

Also think about this a modded SS/SC or SRT-4 kills stock Mustang GT's left and right so racing a GT in a GTO is barely rewarding. The argument of displacement or number of cylinders is a weak mans excuse. When the said 4 cylinder is competition for alot of todays and yesterdays V8's who cares if we race them?
i agree, plus when theres a lot of sh*t talking on a civic forum about cobalt ss/sc's and you would go defend them, they could use the whole "well my car is older and yours has 205 HP and its FI its in a different league" blah blah blah... it happens. I'm not saying I don't get irritated when people come over and start talking trash on our cars and how they are slow, but the OP was just saying what happened in a nice way. Just because he had a GTO doesnt mean anything. If a guy with a geo metro posted up this same thing would you be as upset?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
Oh yea I forgot, s2 cars aren't allowed to run smaller pulleys

And they go 150 in 4th
yes they do. any cobalt with a 7K redline does. you dont know what you're talking about.

i've never maxed 4th. but i did 2nd and 3rd yesterday. i video'd it too. proof can be produced. 2nd ends at 70mph. 3rd ends at 117mph. i think its safe to say 4th goes to at least 145

i think in the real world you would lose to a 2.9 car with a 75 shot. maybe not rape.. but a difinitive loss.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM

I race whatever comes my way as well guys. I rarely ever back down from a race on the street. You win some you lose some and you can't get too excited or upset either way, it's all in good fun.

I'm simply saying I don't get why so many GTO guys come on these forums bragging about taking down a Cobalt... It would be like me coming in here bragging about taking down a Civic SI... what's the point? You are obviously faster and should be so why brag about it, to me it's just not impressive. I honestly don't see anyone else with any other type of car doing this on these forums except the GTO owners and I just don't understand it. For an SS/SC to really hang with a 6.0 on the highway you need a ton of mods, at the track you can simply forget about it lol.

Do not get me wrong at all... I love the GTO's and seriously considered buying one when I bought the Cobalt, but being in New York the RWD in the winter wouldn't have served me well. For my daily driver the Cobalt is more than adequate and keeps my appetite for power at bay for now.

FYI - I'm not sure about the Cobalt guy running the nitrous or if you know him personally but he should really do some more research on spraying into the blower with a wet kit. The fuel does very bad things to the rotors of the blower, not to mention spraying pre-blower isn't very efficient whatsoever. He needs an s/c spacer if he wants to spray wet and get its full potential.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:25 PM

Good races man sounds about right. And i don't doubt a cat back 6.0 Gto pulling those traps if the weathers nice. The guy loloosh on here with the speed 3 went from a 100-101 trap to a 103-104 trap just from the weather going from hot and humid one day at the track to a cool night the next time he went.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614
yes they do. any cobalt with a 7K redline does. you dont know what you're talking about.

i've never maxed 4th. but i did 2nd and 3rd yesterday. i video'd it too. proof can be produced. 2nd ends at 70mph. 3rd ends at 117mph. i think its safe to say 4th goes to at least 145

i think in the real world you would lose to a 2.9 car with a 75 shot. maybe not rape.. but a difinitive loss.
ive tached the cluster so i know 160 is definate.. but dont know b/c calibration could be slightly off at that high a speed.. but the ws6 i was racing multiple times confirmed we were in 16x range...

not sure what the deal is.. i run just fine with ls1s with just the 2.9 + stage and cai *shrugs*
Old 09-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
who wants a 6 year old car with a way shittier interior , and higher milage , and no warranty

NOT I
Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
I don't get it SLoW SHO. You have more than a cat-back and drag radials........
Not installed yet

Already beat a 427r but why would I post that here? This is a Cobalt forum and I raced a Cobalt.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
who wants a 6 year old car with a way shittier interior , and higher milage , and no warranty

NOT I
Actually, the interior isn't all too bad. The seats are pretty damn comfortable, and you can get ahold of a decent LS1 carrying Camaro or T/A for half what you got your GTO for and drive away from ya with much less money dropped in there, 04 wise. The 05/06's with the same mods would be a pretty good race, but I would still put money on the Camaro or T/A with a competant driver.

Not trying to start yet another argument, but just throwing out my opinions. Don't get it twisted, the GTO's are damn nice, very comfortable, and have alot of potential, but don't talk **** about an LS1 powered Camaro or T/A that was stopped being built how long ago, and still hangs with the LS2 powered GTO's. Stock LS1 Camaro/T/A can run a low low 13 all day long.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:29 PM

i love how some people who probably have never even used nitrous like to talk crap about it and the effects of it preblower. im here to say right now that i've gone through about 30 pounds at the track on my ss/sc and have no signs of wear on the rotors. honestly i think u got a better chance of seizing the supercharger from overspinning it with a 2.5" pully. slow sho where bouts in ct are you?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skymynx
i love how some people who probably have never even used nitrous like to talk crap about it and the effects of it preblower. im here to say right now that i've gone through about 30 pounds at the track on my ss/sc and have no signs of wear on the rotors. honestly i think u got a better chance of seizing the supercharger from overspinning it with a 2.5" pully. slow sho where bouts in ct are you?
Central CT, in close proximity to the Berlin Turnpike.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Honestly man I've ran nitrous for years now. I ran it on my Mustang, Camaro, and S/C ed Cav. I'm not blowing smoke out anyones ass here. Fuel will eventually have an effect on the coating of the s/c rotors. Also it's been dyno proven that nitrous sprayed pre-blower on any roots type blower does not yield the same amount of gains as being sprayed post blower.

Anyways SLo SHO you took down a 427R? Lets hear the details on that race because that's definately pretty impressive and worth hearing about.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 PM

really ive never seen anyone else spraying down at the pike besides myself. (cobalt wise) what color is this car im curious if ive met him. 75 shot is too big for my taste but i have a 2.7 pully on there now not a 3". as for 607 comments yes i totally agree that for peak performance it should be sprayed post blower. after all the 8-71 blower setup me and a friend are building does have the 8-71 nitrous setup post-blower. but i think for joe smo preblower is fine. im converting to a postblower setup this winter but thats for a different reason.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

Anyways SLo SHO you took down a 427R? Lets hear the details on that race because that's definately pretty impressive and worth hearing about.
I'll give you cliff notes.

Trophy wife calls my car slow becuase I downshifted for a light right in her ear. Race from a stop wasnt even worth mentioning b/c the yuppie driving spun too much. The race from a roll was him getting the hit with momentum and it took me a couple gears to reel him in and pass him. After I let off at like 130 he kept going up to probably 160mph. He probably thinks he won

really ive never seen anyone else spraying down at the pike besides myself. (cobalt wise) what color is this car im curious if ive met him. 75 shot is too big for my taste but i have a 2.7 pully on there now not a 3". as for 607 comments yes i totally agree that for peak performance it should be sprayed post blower. after all the 8-71 blower setup me and a friend are building does have the 8-71 nitrous setup post-blower. but i think for joe smo preblower is fine. im converting to a postblower setup this winter but thats for a different reason.
It was red (what else would it be theyre always red) and he said he was from Wallingford.

Last edited by SLoW SHO; 09-19-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the details, thats a nice kill There is a woman who has a 427R in my area who thinks it's the baddest thing on the planet. I really wanna get a race with her but she always seems to be going to opposite direction

I did race one 427R not too long ago and the guy absolutely crushed me... come to find out the car had some sort of a "stage 3" package on it and dynoed in the 600's... oops... like I said before you win some you lose some. On that night I definately had my feelings hurt, but I was very impressed with that car
Old 09-19-2007, 03:23 PM

like it matters... ct. is a tiny state, i'm sure if you both lived at the corners.. you could meet in the middle in about a half hour.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 PM

Sounds like you beat the driver, shifting into 5th at 125 is gay, and his car most likely wasn't tuned for the nitrous considering he was short shifting it the whole time. Not trying to sound like a a$$, but you beat a car that wasn't running right nor had a good driver. With all that said I believe you did beat him, and good kill!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quickspec
Sounds like you beat the driver, shifting into 5th at 125 is gay, and his car most likely wasn't tuned for the nitrous considering he was short shifting it the whole time. Not trying to sound like a a$$, but you beat a car that wasn't running right nor had a good driver. With all that said I believe you did beat him, and good kill!
lol, everyone here is a know-it-all. Driver musta sucked so bad, I mean he got the hit and had to shift twice! lololol
Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614

Back in the day I was one of the first people to dis-prove the beleif that a SS/SC wouldn't do 150mph bone stock, and I even posted pictures.

Fourth gear bone stock ended in the upper 130's and with Stage 2 it was over around 145mph.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
lol, everyone here is a know-it-all. Driver musta sucked so bad, I mean he got the hit and had to shift twice! lololol
Never said I was a know-it-all, you said he shifted early and was in 5th at 125mph, so because he was shifting early he must have been afraid a blowing something cause he didn't have it tuned. And yall gto owners are always the ones saying driver musta sucked when a cobalt beats a gto, and you say shift twice, i wounder why he had to do that.

In the words of a gto owner," I call bs without a video.''
Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
Actually, the interior isn't all too bad. The seats are pretty damn comfortable, and you can get ahold of a decent LS1 carrying Camaro or T/A for half what you got your GTO for and drive away from ya with much less money dropped in there, 04 wise. The 05/06's with the same mods would be a pretty good race, but I would still put money on the Camaro or T/A with a competant driver.
i got my 05 w 6k for 25

i dont think you can find a camaro /trans am with anywhere NEAR those miles especially at a dealership, im not saying camaros arent sweet, just have a good time finding a really low miles , stock, with a manual transmision, and the interior of the GTO is far better than any camaro , but everone has their opinion
Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
I agree with you. If I could find a LS2 GTO for around 23-24k I would get one I think. I like the cars alot. You just can't beat that kind of displacelent with a cobalt (inless you have tons of work done) I think I can keep up with you from a dig with my DRs on and from a roll I honestly think it would be close. Then again I won't be running mid 12s I'll only be in high 12s. Should be like 12.7-12.9 next time I go. It's only a guessing game at this point. Awesome kill. I won't race past 115 cuz I only trap in the 1/4th @ 107-109. ^ and when I say keep up I mean within a car length.

Mods If I had a GTO:
stronger axles (seen people snap them at the track)
Lingenfelter 366 CID LS2 Supercharged Package (http://www.lingenfelter.com/ls2gtoscic.htm)
Intake
Exhaust
Headers
Tune

That would put me aprrox: 560 whp & 520 wtorq Lingenfelter GTO FTW!
^ Just updating incase the GTO guys did not see what I posted earlier...

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
i got my 05 w 6k for 25

i dont think you can find a camaro /trans am with anywhere NEAR those miles especially at a dealership, im not saying camaros arent sweet, just have a good time finding a really low miles , stock, with a manual transmision, and the interior of the GTO is far better than any camaro , but everone has their opinion
I found a 02 Firehawk with about 55k miles for 19k. Its almost tempting....

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 09-19-2007 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: GTO vs Stage 2 + Nitrous