War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

My first war story

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first war story

I was driving on a long stretch of pretty empty highway this morning, heading away for vacation.

As I was driving along I noticed a Impreza WRX STI about 1/4mi ahead moving pretty quick. Seeing the highway was empty ahead other than him, and we were in Mexico, I figured Id speed up to take a closer look.

He must have been doing about 80-85mph. As I was coming up on him I noticed a Cobb sticker, as well as some other aftermarket stickers, on his back window. I also noticed an exhaust, and some exterior mods...so it had some work done for sure.

I was doing about 90mph, so I was just kind of cruising by him on the left. I got about 2 car lengths ahead of him and continued at about 85-90.

Watching him in my side mirror, I see him clearly floor it, as his car jumps hard.

He starts to pull up to me, and just as his front bumper was getting about to my rear bumper I pin it.

I start pulling at the same speed as him right away, keeping him right at my rear bumper. We both keep going, and I start to pull away pretty hard. We let off around 120mph, because we were approaching some cars, and I had at least 3 lengths and was really pulling away.

He got behind me and we continued cruising for a bit.

He then moved back over to the right, blew by, and moved back over to the left. I floored it and caught right up, staying behind him.

After cruising behind him for a little bit the road opened back up and we were alone again.(no Mexican vehicles around)

We were going about 85-90mph again. I rev matched and dropped to 4th, got on it a little and pulled out to the right to pass him. When I made this move he floored it and cut in front of me. I floored it and stayed right on his bumper, actually having to let up a little so I didnt drive through him. He cut back to the left staying in it hard, and I pulled right up on him and right past him. I pulled him real hard this time. We went to about 135mph, and when we let of I must have been at least 3-4 ahead.

We dropped back down to cruising speed, and has he cruised by both he and his passenger gave me thumbs up.

I got off a couple exits later, and he followed me off.

We pulled into a gas station and talked for a few minutes.

First thing he said was " that things quick huh?". I said, " 'eh its not bad." He asked if it was the turbo one, and told me he used to have a SS/SC.

The very next thing he said was "I think my turbos going..."... I could be wrong, but it sounded like an excuse to me . At the point when we were cruising and he blew by me, I could see his car was pulling real hard... it didnt seem like a car with a bad turbo... lol

Turns out his car is a 2006, turbo back exhaust, intake, BOV, and I think some other minor things. According to him it puts "360 to the ground".......

In the end it was a lot of fun. He was real impressed by the car, and the conversation ended by him saying "your gonna suprise a lot of people with that car."

Im pretty happy with my GMS1!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Very cool doesn't sound like he is a tool
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Yeah, that was the best part. He was real cool about it.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:43 PM

nice race and good kill. i call bs on his 360 to the wheels lol a TBE plus tune is "stage 2" and for that year they put about 280-310whp and 290-330wtrq depending on if he had a custom tune or a shitty off the shelf tune from cobb. nonetheless good kill. i wish he woulda been a man and didnt make the excuse about his turbo going lol thats a joke.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Hey if he puts down 360whp and your at 277 I'd say thats a dam good kill

About the turbo excuse, all the sti and evo owners have some kind of excuse because there imbarassed

Nice kill man
Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by restonSS
nice race and good kill. i call bs on his 360 to the wheels lol a TBE plus tune is "stage 2" and for that year they put about 280-310whp and 290-330wtrq depending on if he had a custom tune or a shitty off the shelf tune from cobb. nonetheless good kill. i wish he woulda been a man and didnt make the excuse about his turbo going lol thats a joke.
Yeah, theres no way my GMS1 would have pulled on 360awhp. I know I thought the bad turbo was funny, cause like I said it was definitely pulling hard....just not hard enough. lol
Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 80vetteL82
Yeah, theres no way my GMS1 would have pulled on 360awhp. I know I thought the bad turbo was funny, cause like I said it was definitely pulling hard....just not hard enough. lol
haha yeah i got you. if i were you i might have laughed in his face if he said his turbo was going. bc if your turbo is going you dont go racing to 135 mph lol. if he had 280-290whp i could def see this outcome bc as everyone knows sti's are a bit heavier that a cobalt ss/tc. to be honest, you might have a bit better power curve overall than him as well if your on gm stg 1 tune. you might not peak as high, but i think you may hold it a tad longer. what a lot of wrx/sti guys dont get is that our stock turbos run out of breath at 6 grand ish so its best to shift at 6500 when pushing the stock turbo to above stock psi. But instead they shift at 7 grand (with any aftermarket tune your rev limit moves up to 7k). its only good to shift to 7k in first and second gear, but after that, its better to still shift around 6500. youd be suprised how much a difference that makes.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM

gotta love the people who respect cars and who arent toolbags. nice win
Old 07-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Good story and nice kill!