War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS S/C vs. GTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amxguy1970
FNFAST has it down pat! Everything combined makes a total. Torque gets you moving or gets you there, horespower keeps you there or keeps you moving. Cars like ours and vettes, f-bods, vipers, and so on are all geared and designed to accelerate steadily at/to high speeds. Thats why our cars are stable at 160+ and pulls steadily up until then. Its funny seeing races with cars that are equal in hp-weight but are geared economy cars. They hang for maybe two gears then switch and bammm, here comes the gas saver gear and you are down a couple thousand rpms on your tach. Or you start getting the car uneasy over 120 or the aerodynamics are holding you back more then your cars power will push it through.

Go check out they reason why 410hp camaros and t/a's are staying side by side or pulling from 450+hp cobras. Or my favorite, why 350 rear wheel hp GTO's are staying side by side with 360 AWHP evo's and sti's (with less weight, gears and aerodynamics)! Its all about the combination of everything. One more example, two buddies with equal mazda 6's one with a five speed auto and the other with a 6 speed auto. Almost identical hp (the 6 speed has a slightly larger driver) and the 6 speed always pulls it even with intakes on both. The 6 speed is geared to keep it in its power more so then the 5 speed and it shows on acceleration tests everywhere.

Torque does play a factor in slow roll races and also when shifting staying in your power band. When I shift it goes to my peak torque then proceeds to hit my peak HP and then click, next gear. I would rather have a high torque and equally high hp V8 that revs a little lower (6-7k) then a high hp low torque but high revving (9k) four. It can move alot easier granted the weight is too much for it.

On a side not FNFAST, I have seen dyno numbers of stage 2's with supporting mods. What would a stage three be putting out with out the shot on there? Just curious so I can know what to watch out for in the future. Tyler

Cliff notes, a car has to be designed to make efficient use of what it is given.
Videos? Do you have drag coefficients to back up the Evo/STi aerodynamic claims?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
This will confuse alot of people, but I'll say it anyway.

Torque doesn't mean ****. Gearing will overcome any sort of lack in torque. If you spin a motor fast enough, 10 ft/lbs of tq would be enough to beat anyone on this site.

Bring on the flames

you better have one HELL of a redline
crotchrockets are a great example of torqueless engines tearing **** up.

it doesnt mean "torque doesnt mean ****" though.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by an0malous
you better have one HELL of a redline
crotchrockets are a great example of torqueless engines tearing **** up.

it doesnt mean "torque doesnt mean ****" though.
Torque is highly over rated.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:29 PM

HP is too
at least torque is a measurable force applied to the pavement.

HP is a number derived from a mathmatical formula.

me personally? I like thrust/weight ratios

contact with the ground is overrated
Old 05-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned

HP is too
at least torque is a measurable force applied to the pavement.

HP is a number derived from a mathmatical formula.

me personally? I like thrust/weight ratios

contact with the ground is overrated
Whats the mathmatical amount of horsepower for a car that makes 10lb/ft at 50,000rpms?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by TheMaker
I agree!

All that matters is the horsepower in the powerband you are racing in.

um.. you do know what horsepower is derived from...what the true unit of measure is..
Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 PM

hp = tq X RPM / 5252

hp = 10X50000/5252

LOL
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
um.. you do know what horsepower is derived from...what the true unit of measure is..
Obviously we know what I'm getting at. How many stories have you read where it said something like "I smoked that Honda outta the hole because they have no torque!" When I see that I just laugh.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

hp = tq X RPM / 5252

hp = 10X50000/5252

LOL
Ok so 10ft/lbs @ 500,000 rpms. Stick in a 35:1 gear and you have yourself a 9 or 10 second car.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:41 PM

Ok so 10ft/lbs @ 500,000 rpms. Stick in a 35:1 gear and you have yourself a 9 or 10 second weedeater.

fixed for ya
Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

Obviously we know what I'm getting at. How many stories have you read where it said something like "I smoked that Honda outta the hole because they have no torque!" When I see that I just laugh.

But obviously the flip side is when someone in a Honda Civic SI brags about the fact that their Cobalt SS trumping 210 HP is naturally aspirated yet their max torque is only 147 and their max HP is near the 9K rev limit. There are many factors. I absolutely loathe people comparing cars solely on HP numbers.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 PM

197hp actually.
at the crank.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 PM

First off the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZwHXBOplUs
Funny thing is, this might be slow sho's car. Is it? He says stock in the video versus a 350ish awhp STI. The gto is geared to accelerate solidly up until its tops out, where as a sti isn't. It is designed differently. It has more drag from the scoops, and wings, and overall shape of the nose and body. hence the reason of the GTO pulling back around a 100. It is more able to overcome its aerodynamics that is fighting more heavily against the STI, which also has to overcome the 4 wheel drive.

Second, it takes a balance of both to win. Go ride in a car (many of you have) that is torque less. It takes until the top of the rpm to be going at its full acceleration. Anywhere under redline it is significantly slower. Run in a torque filled car the it keeps its acceleration steady all the way. No lag, or wait. This is similar to what turbo cars and those vtec cars feel like. My old cutlass had 220 hp DOHC, it was semi quick. But below 3500 rpms was gutless. Torque plays a big factor in even acceleration. Less lag time. As someone else stated, hp comes from torque, not vice versa. Say what you will about the HP only at 500,000 rpm, yes I can see that as being true. But with an equal amount of torque, then that some object can be heavier and still accelerate the same. Its physics. Punch a GTO at half its redline and it starts pulling pretty damn heavily, do the same in an S2000 and it takes some time to get at its full head of steam.

I just want this basic question answered by those you wish to reply. In regards to the acceleration of a torque filled car versus one that is not. Which feels a steady and more powerful acceleration? Does a honda s2000 accelerate as steady as say oh, i dunno, a gto? Powerband FTW, Tyler
Old 05-31-2007, 09:16 PM

torque is what you feel in your ass when you punch it.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

That is my car.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 PM

I didnt read it all but idk why people come here to argue for the gtos...ur in a cobalt forum of course your going to get biased remarks

and im probably totally wrong and i really dont know that much and im not trying to start another arguement but an0malous you said crotch rockets are an example of a torqueless engine but if you peg a throttle on one your going to flip over or at least have the front end lift up...wouldnt this mean it has alot of torque especially for the size of the engine and weight of the bike? Cause as some one here said torque is the pressure of the tire to the pavement..i could be wrong but yea
Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kwin
I didnt read it all but idk why people come here to argue for the gtos...ur in a cobalt forum of course your going to get biased remarks

and im probably totally wrong and i really dont know that much and im not trying to start another arguement but an0malous you said crotch rockets are an example of a torqueless engine but if you peg a throttle on one your going to flip over or at least have the front end lift up...wouldnt this mean it has alot of torque especially for the size of the engine and weight of the bike? Cause as some one here said torque is the pressure of the tire to the pavement..i could be wrong but yea
prepare for pwnage. anomalous consider this your intro...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 PM

crotch rockets have the power to do that because they weigh about 350lbs, and rev comfortably to 12-14k RPM.

hows that for monster torque.
45ft/lbs of torque for a vehicle that runs 11s.

this still doesnt change the fact that Torque is the rotation force applied by your tires to the pavement
Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 PM

whats even funnier, is that there are a number of bikes out now that make more TQ than a handfull of hondas
Old 06-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kwin

Some of us have owned one of these vehicles at one time or another. I know what the LSJ is all about (My LSJ was built in April of 04). When I owned one I'd always put up a good fight against G35s, 350Zs, the last generation Mustangs. With my old LSJ setup I had a 2.9" pulley, a Cold Air kit, and a few other goodies.

The video that I commented about regarding the Stage II pulling on the GTO is because I hear the Supercharger whine above the GTO's exhaust while the camera is inside the GTO. Having owned the two (and with the 2.9" pulley/CAI I can say that the supercharger whine was about as loud as it was going to get without going to a machined snout and a smaller pulley) I couldn't imagine the supercharger whine being so loud as to drown out the GTO's exhaust if the GTO was at WOT. If the camera was inside the Cobalt, then I would expect the Supercharger whine to be louder than the GTO's exhaust. In this video you couldn't even hear the GTO's exhaust. That's why I questioned the video.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:46 AM

from the passenger side of the cabin in the GTO, with the window down, with the microphone right next to the drivers side of the cobalt.....

we both know where the blower scream comes from....
Im not surprised in the slightest that the blower drowned it out.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:13 AM

dont worry anomalous, im not even going to argue with the guy. it was taken with a freaking picture camera with a shitty microphone

Originally Posted by TXRLU
Some of us have owned one of these vehicles at one time or another. I know what the LSJ is all about (My LSJ was built in April of 04). When I owned one I'd always put up a good fight against G35s, 350Zs, the last generation Mustangs. With my old LSJ setup I had a 2.9" pulley, a Cold Air kit, and a few other goodies.

The video that I commented about regarding the Stage II pulling on the GTO is because I hear the Supercharger whine above the GTO's exhaust while the camera is inside the GTO. Having owned the two (and with the 2.9" pulley/CAI I can say that the supercharger whine was about as loud as it was going to get without going to a machined snout and a smaller pulley) I couldn't imagine the supercharger whine being so loud as to drown out the GTO's exhaust if the GTO was at WOT. If the camera was inside the Cobalt, then I would expect the Supercharger whine to be louder than the GTO's exhaust. In this video you couldn't even hear the GTO's exhaust. That's why I questioned the video.
if you dont believe it then would you like the guy driving the GTO to admit to the video being 100% real because he had done so on the GTO forums. oh yeah and then the thread got completed deleted, wonder why

Last edited by hatrickstu; 06-01-2007 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-01-2007, 01:15 AM

good camera or not, these blowers are ****** LOUD.
you could have a $10k movie camera...a blower screaming 6 feet from the cam will still drown out a GTO exhaust from inside the cabin.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 AM

On a side not FNFAST, I have seen dyno numbers of stage 2's with supporting mods. What would a stage three be putting out with out the shot on there? Just curious so I can know what to watch out for in the future. Tyler
Sorry tyler...I don't have the stage 3 without nitrous dyno'd. I DO know that my brother has the same car with stage 2 and a 2.79 pulley and my car is a little faster than his in any gear when I am not on the spray or high octane mode. I have it in another thread what I dyno'd with nitrous...it was low 300's at the wheels. I recently have it dyno'd with HO mode and stock exhaust and it was a little better than without it

Not gonna post numbers with H.O mode until I get the full exhaust on and get it re-dyno'd because the stock exhaust is killing me right now.

I will take a safe guess and say 320WHP with full exhaust, HO Mode and the Spray.

Last edited by FNFAST; 06-01-2007 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by TheMaker
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/torque_hp.htm

If torque was as important as most people thought it was then horsepower wouldn not be needed.
you guys crack me up.. your still not getting it man

hp and tq.. how do they correlate.... what is the true unit of measure... one of those two units is real.. the other is a derivate of the other..

Quick Reply: SS S/C vs. GTO