War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS/SC vs. Evo

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS/SC vs. Evo

Two good runs in one night.

This one happened lastnight as well and was one of the funnest runs yet. While coming home from my buddies house (where I made the post about the Accord) stuck in the muck of 10:00 pm, a black Evo (dunno the year or model) rolls by me in the HOV lane. I don't think he even noticed me at first cause he didn't stop and give me the usual eye along with the blow of valve salute that I usually receive from just about every turboed car that passes by. So he just rolls on by and I figured I may not get a shot at him because of traffic anyway, but I made my way behind him and followed him at our leisurely rate just in case. Well, low and behold, after we travel a couple miles up the highway, there's a break in traffic.

I changed out of the HOV lane a soon as I saw our opening and sped up, putting about 4 cars of distance between us, then waited for his answer. My invitation worked like magic as he pulled right along side me and paced me for a 100 yards or so. I slipped her in 4th and held my course at around 75 mph and then waited for his next move. Next thing I know, he's downshifts and hits the go pedal. He caught me off gaurd a bit so I just nailed the throttle without a downshift to 3rd. This delay gave him a bumper on me, but this was quickly remedeed with a powershift down to 3rd gear. This gave me a nice kick in the ass and I steadily pulled on him throughout 3rd gear up to 105 mph untill I was a good 1 1/2 lengths ahead. as I looked back I saw that he was still on it so I powershifted back to 4th and kept it pinned up to about 125, just before I had enough and shut it down, I looked back and was surprised with a nice 3 car lead on the Mitsu.

After we had slowed back down to less than ludicrous speed I pulled back to the HOV lane to his drivers side and looked over at him for a bit, to get his attention. He knew I was there but didn't act like if for a bit untill he finally glanced over, when he did I gave him a thumbs up for his effort and a nod. He just glared back at me for a bit and nothing else, then looked strait ahead, shaking his head then he fell back and got behind me, following me through the traffic for a few miles before I took my exit.

Had a lot of fun with this one lastnight and I'm glad I finally got to run an Evo. I see a bunch of them around here but always when they're going the other way (this is when they give me the blow-off salute) or when I'm turning and they're going somewhere else. I also liked the guys custom plate that read "hionpsi". As for any mods he may have had, I couldn't tell, but he looked stock as far as I could see.

On a side note, I also saw a turbo late model MR2 with a gaudy but expensive looking peach paint job at a stoplight yesterday. He made a left turn while I was at the light and as he passed me going the opposite direction he gave me a loud rev followed by the hiss of a BOV, then he sped down the street leaving a wake of dark brown smoke from his dual pipes every time he shifted.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:12 PM

Nice run man If that EVO was stock then it's very believable.

I've always wanted to run an EVO (or even buy one). But the stupid Canadian gov't won't allow them to be sold here. The ONLY EVO I have EVER seen in real life was one with Michigan plates going the other way. Around here all you'll find are Lancers and Ralliarts.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ballerSS
Nice run man If that EVO was stock then it's very believable.

I've always wanted to run an EVO (or even buy one). But the stupid Canadian gov't won't allow them to be sold here. The ONLY EVO I have EVER seen in real life was one with Michigan plates going the other way. Around here all you'll find are Lancers and Ralliarts.
What, no Evo's? Why the hell not?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by BullDog71ss
A friend looked into this. Apparently, the way the EVO has it's FMIC setup, in a slow speed crash (8km/h or 5mph) the value of the damage is too great. All cars sold in Canada must withstand a slow speed crash with minimal or no damage. I think the US has similar rules, just not as strict.

The other, even more painful (for me) thing about living in Canada is - NO GTOs. I'm a huge GM guy and would have bought a GTO if I could, but GM doesn't sell them in Canada. Oh well, the American's can't get our Pontiac Pursuits ha ha ha. Would you guys be willing to trade?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:09 PM

They don't pass our 8km/h front crash test standards because of the FMIC

EDIT: Wow... I had this window open without hitting the reply button for longer than I thought!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
360 L337 User

I raced an evo last night. It's a buddy from the tristatetuners website. he has some minor modifications. we raced from a good 60 mph roll. he got the launch and was about a half car ahead before I hit it. Being in a crappy rpm gear range I didn't start to real him in until he had about a car and a half and we shut down it was fun. he would own my stock ss but he had our buddy steve and LJ with him and I only had my brother.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:53 PM

UH OH, this might start a war. The evo guys are definately going to be all over this.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:55 PM

i thought that evos would beat an ss/sc easliy or is that only from a dig?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:00 PM

From a dig, it's no contest. They rape us. Think about it. SS/SC's run mid to high 14's. Evo's run mid to low 13's. I need to find a stock evo (if there is one lol) and race him from a roll. I'll just wait outside the mitsu dealership for a new one to come out. lol. All the evo's i have raced have beaten me from rolls but they were both modded.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
360 L337 User

oh yeah. He had mods, and without the extra passangers I bet he woulda 0\/\/|\|3D me even from the roll.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:26 PM

Low 13's? The best I've seen is 13.8 or so. Most of them I see run 14.1-14.5 or so in stock form.

Drivers obviously have a lot to do with it, but I've never heard a stocker doing low 13's.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:39 PM

from a dig the cobalt would be pwned in the quarter, as well the srt would too....its the higher speeds that the evo suffers as its built for rally racing, low to mid range speeds mainly....when you hit the higher speeds cobalts/srt's shine because the higer the speed gets, the more vulnerable the Evo is.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by SRTurbo
from a dig the cobalt would be pwned in the quarter, as well the srt would too....its the higher speeds that the evo suffers as its built for rally racing, low to mid range speeds mainly....when you hit the higher speeds cobalts/srt's shine because the higer the speed gets, the more vulnerable the Evo is.
You got it. Only way I could beat an Evo let alone follow it is by merging on the high way together at 100kmh (Sorry not good with miles) and dropping it in third. That GM torque is the only thing that would save you.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SRTurbo
Exactly. The huge advantage that the AWD gives the Evo off the line is nothing but a disadvantage from a roll. Check out the numbers of the Evo IX from Car and Driver compared to the SS S/C, and notice how close the trap speeds are even with the Evo's AWD launch:

Cobalt SS S/C

Zero to 60 mph: 5.9 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.2 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.4 sec @ 100 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 145 mph

Mitsu Evo VIII:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.0 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.7 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 13.6 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 145 mph

Of course there will be Evo fanboys that will come in here and claim that "an SS S/C would never beat an Evo", but I suppose I would be upset too if I payed $32K for an Evo and I couldn't beat cars costing over 10K less
Old 12-01-2005, 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=BullDog71ss]This gave me a nice kick in the ass and I steadily pulled on him throughout 3rd gear up to 105 mph untill I was a good 1 1/2 lengths ahead.
QUOTE]

how the heck did you manage to get up to 105 in 3rd gear? you must have been bouncing off the rev limiter...???
Old 12-01-2005, 05:20 PM

Naw, it'll do around 105 at the top of 3rd gear. I may be 1 mph off or so but 105 is pretty close.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:21 PM

If both cars are stock and both have equal drives then the Cobalt SS/SC should lose in ever race, dig/roll/twist/etc. period. Just a nother case of bad drive in the EVO.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:39 PM

How is it that every person I ever race on the highway is the absolute WORST driver of his type of vehicle, ever? OR, maybe I'm just the best??? <---- I like that one a little better

Seriously, how hard is it to downshift, hit the gas, then upshift again when redline comes around? Why is it that everyone uses the "bad driver" excuse for highway races. A highway race will usually show the car's medal, not the drivers, damn.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Naw, it'll do around 105 at the top of 3rd gear. I may be 1 mph off or so but 105 is pretty close.
sorry...i'm used to my talon that topped out 3rd gear around 90-93mph. My trap in the talon (when it was stock) was like 97-98 mph and i definately had to shift it into 4th at the end before the motor blew up from redlining too long. good to know though.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 PM

Heh, so-k man. When you run the SS in the 1/4 don't bother with an upshift to 4th as it will result in wasted time and crap ET's. We can save 4th gear for when we've got another 40 ponies or so under our belts
Old 12-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Believable story. I beat one from a 40mph roll...and actually rode his ass from a 5mph roll!!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by phxSS
Believable story. I beat one from a 40mph roll...and actually rode his ass from a 5mph roll!!

Seriously, why in the hell would I come here and lie about it? Who the hell is here that I would be trying to impress anyway? We all have the same friggin cars...more or less.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:05 PM

Seriously, why in the hell would I come here and lie about it? Who the hell is here that I would be trying to impress anyway? We all have the same friggin cars...more or less.
buahahahaha good point ... but hey im gonna say YOUR A LIAR lol hahahaha lie lie lie I would like to use my lifeline and I choose the bs lifeline hehehehehe j/k jk jk ...

seriously guys what are you all thinking I mean when you race against a real live person there are a **** load of variables and saying it's just the driver is crap because the driver who raced him WAS the driver there is no magical hocus pocus faf that can take that drivers place at the spur of the moment ... it's like other people modifying their computers saying this is better because of this this this and then if they lose their like well its the driver it isn't the best driver for this test

so nice run man
Old 12-01-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
buahahahaha good point ... but hey im gonna say YOUR A LIAR lol hahahaha lie lie lie I would like to use my lifeline and I choose the bs lifeline hehehehehe j/k jk jk ...

seriously guys what are you all thinking I mean when you race against a real live person there are a **** load of variables and saying it's just the driver is crap because the driver who raced him WAS the driver there is no magical hocus pocus faf that can take that drivers place at the spur of the moment ... it's like other people modifying their computers saying this is better because of this this this and then if they lose their like well its the driver it isn't the best driver for this test

so nice run man

Thank you Eric.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:49 PM

LOL what are you talking about? I do believe you.

Quick Reply: SS/SC vs. Evo