War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

ss/sc vs modded wrx

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ss/sc vs modded wrx

so i race a boy i know with a wrx. it has blow off valve more boost 16 i think full exuast and intake so we race from 40 mph roll and i pull a little in 2nd gear then we got into third and i pulled a little more on him then he hit his breaks becase he dident know the road well but if we kept going i would have really started to pull becase at thrid was was starting to pull on him quicker.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 AM

You mean you had the lead or you were catching up?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
You mean you had the lead or you were catching up?
i had the lead on him and was pulling away more.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:52 AM

Sweet. Nice run, but expect the flaming.

From a roll the AWD acts as hp stealer.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
Sweet. Nice run, but expect the flaming.

From a roll the AWD acts as hp stealer.
what is the flaming mean lol i dont know.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:08 AM

People saying your full of it. For some reason anyone that posts against another car, there seems to be the jerk that shows up and has to argue and insult the person that posted it. Just don't take it personal and blow it off. Look at my sig. there is the "Firebird Video Thread". It should give you an idea of what to expect. The video is down, but long story short, I ran a faster time than a WRX.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice kill. do you speak english well?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ralliartist
nice kill. do you speak english well?
yah
yah i speak english well i am american just cant write for **** lol it suxs i dont take my time lol
Old 12-11-2005, 02:04 AM

WRX with out engine management is slow

period

<-WRX owner
Old 12-11-2005, 08:47 AM

But w/ uppipe, downpipe, cat-back and tuning they are right on par w/ stock Evo's and STi's.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by snapb1
But w/ uppipe, downpipe, cat-back and tuning they are right on par w/ stock Evo's and STi's.
They are closer, but still 20 ponies short of the STI.

ANY WRX/STI with a blow off valve is going to be slow! Subaru's turbo system does not work well with an environmental blow off valve. If he had a blow off valve I would question some of the mod claims he was making, as it just doesn't make any sense to put that on your car.

Did you run him from a dig?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by pkskull77
They are closer, but still 20 ponies short of the STI.

ANY WRX/STI with a blow off valve is going to be slow! Subaru's turbo system does not work well with an environmental blow off valve. If he had a blow off valve I would question some of the mod claims he was making, as it just doesn't make any sense to put that on your car.

Did you run him from a dig?
my car has a blow off valve

and i can say with total confidence that the bov did not make my car slower.

unless you have a wrx, and you put on a bov and it made the car slower, dont make that claim

and yes a stage 2 wrx is right there with stock STI's and Evo's, it might even be faster than some. but again, part of stage 2 is tuning. tuning makes a world of difference
Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Antyoo
my car has a blow off valve

and i can say with total confidence that the bov did not make my car slower.

unless you have a wrx, and you put on a bov and it made the car slower, dont make that claim

and yes a stage 2 wrx is right there with stock STI's and Evo's, it might even be faster than some. but again, part of stage 2 is tuning. tuning makes a world of difference
I have an STI, and a couple of my good friends have gone the route of BOV, and all have seen performance drops. All the air in the system is metered, and when it doesn't recirculate the car still thinks its there, in turn killing power due to the engine running rich. Unless you pro tune, thats not going to work itself out. The BOV is not really worth it, becuase even if its set up correctly, all your really gaining is sound (aka rice boy). If you gut the fender wall resonator, or use a K&N typhoon, your going to get the sound while actually gaining a little performance.

See links for additional information:

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

I would suggest you remove that BOV and get a typhoon, or perform the resonator delete.

A stage 2 Cobb WRX is only putting 280 to the crank (and trust me thats a very generous number, most WRX are putting down far less at stage 2) If you got a pro tune, than perhaps you could get closer to an STI, but your not going to get there completely unless you get a larger turbo. After all those mods it will have been cheaper to get an STI.

Cobb's Numbers
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 PM

silencer delete? typhoon intake? i am way beyond that

current mod list:
utec
txs fmic
hks ssqv
injen cai converted to short ram(cai caused idle problems and wouldnt fit with fmic anyway)
hks up
stromung DP and MP
apexi n1 catback
cooling mist water injection
2005 sti 6spd
walbro 255 pump

and sitting in the garage:
850cc injectors
fluidyne sti radiator
samco radiator hoses
2 perrin catch cans(one for oil, one for coolant)
another walbro 255 pump
3 inch mandrel bent exhaust piping for a custom DP
materials for custom up pipe

comming soon
gt30r turbo(unsure of what trim yet)
tial external wastegate
perrin fuel rails
v7 jdm sti motor
clutch and flywheel

i have a WBO2 setup in my car 24/7. when i let off the gas and the BOV releases the air(and believe me, its a lot of air), the car runs rich in relation to my tune, which is 12:1 AFR all the way to redline. i can only notice this if i just let off the gas, it happens so quickly when i am shifting that i cant even see the change in AFR

unless the bov is leaking, the only time it will release metered air is when you back off the throttle. how much power do people want their cars to make when they are letting off the gas?

sure with traditional, spring type BOV's there is a point in throttle modulation that will cause the valve to vent and make the car run rich and lose power, but my HKS does not do that. the BPV that came with the turbo xs fmic did that, and despite being recirculated, the car ran like complete **** when that would happen

but yea, in those posts, i dont see any proof that a bov makes the car slower, just people re posting what other people have re posted

seriously, when you want to go fast, you simple lay on the throttle and keep on it till you are at the desired speed. and like i said before, its only when you let off the gas that the bov(a quality one) will vent. in a wrx, letting off the gas happens only once to get to 60mph, and twice to get to 90mph, and if the driver knows the car, he will be able to shift quickly and smoothly and the car will not be slower.

another thing that all those dont get a BOV posts neglect to mention is that when you let off the gas, the throttle body is closed, and only a minimal amount of air can get into the engine. the ECU knows this via the tps. the MAS may meter more air, but the tps overrides this becuase the engine will go into deceleration mode. when i let off the gas in my car, it goes rich for a split second, then pegs the afr at 21:1 until a little above 2krpm if i remember correctly, at which point the injectors begin firing normally again. this feature is very nice on stand alones when it is fully tunable.

im not saying people should go out and buy BOV's. just saying that unless someone has first hand experience, and proof, they should not make claims and tell someone not to buy a part they want for their own car.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:14 PM

silencer delete? typhoon intake? i am way beyond that

current mod list:
utec
txs fmic
hks ssqv
injen cai converted to short ram(cai caused idle problems and wouldnt fit with fmic anyway)
hks up
stromung DP and MP
apexi n1 catback
cooling mist water injection
2005 sti 6spd
walbro 255 pump

and sitting in the garage:
850cc injectors
fluidyne sti radiator
samco radiator hoses
2 perrin catch cans(one for oil, one for coolant)
another walbro 255 pump
3 inch mandrel bent exhaust piping for a custom DP
materials for custom up pipe

comming soon
gt30r turbo(unsure of what trim yet)
tial external wastegate
perrin fuel rails
v7 jdm sti motor
clutch and flywheel

i have a WBO2 setup in my car 24/7. when i let off the gas and the BOV releases the air(and believe me, its a lot of air), the car runs rich in relation to my tune, which is 12:1 AFR all the way to redline. i can only notice this if i just let off the gas, it happens so quickly when i am shifting that i cant even see the change in AFR

unless the bov is leaking, the only time it will release metered air is when you back off the throttle. how much power do people want their cars to make when they are letting off the gas?

sure with traditional, spring type BOV's there is a point in throttle modulation that will cause the valve to vent and make the car run rich and lose power, but my HKS does not do that. the BPV that came with the turbo xs fmic did that, and despite being recirculated, the car ran like complete **** when that would happen

but yea, in those posts, i dont see any proof that a bov makes the car slower, just people re posting what other people have re posted

seriously, when you want to go fast, you simple lay on the throttle and keep on it till you are at the desired speed. and like i said before, its only when you let off the gas that the bov(a quality one) will vent. in a wrx, letting off the gas happens only once to get to 60mph, and twice to get to 90mph, and if the driver knows the car, he will be able to shift quickly and smoothly and the car will not be slower.

another thing that all those dont get a BOV posts neglect to mention is that when you let off the gas, the throttle body is closed, and only a minimal amount of air can get into the engine. the ECU knows this via the tps. the MAS may meter more air, but the tps overrides this becuase the engine will go into deceleration mode. when i let off the gas in my car, it goes rich for a split second, then pegs the afr at 21:1 until a little above 2krpm if i remember correctly, at which point the injectors begin firing normally again. this feature is very nice on stand alones when it is fully tunable.

im not saying people should go out and buy BOV's. just saying that unless someone has first hand experience, and proof, they should not make claims and tell someone not to buy a part they want for their own car.
Bottom line is that it makes the car run rich, and wether that be for only a second, it still robs a little performance. Unless your running a larger turbo, and a different IC, there is no need for a BOV. Your just throwing money away, for nothing more than a sound.

Now if they guy knew what he was doing, and was serious about making his WRX a beast, he would only have gone BOV, after adding a ton more power. Since the guy couldn't pull on an SS, I thinks it's fair to say he didn't add a lot of power, and in turn assume he didn't know what he was doing. The guy was a rice boy, and I'm not suprised he got walked.

A stage 2 WRX done correctly would be a very very good match from a roll. From a dig it would walk an SS.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:24 PM

again, like i said

WRX with out tuning is slow

up and tbe alone will still leave a WRX at or below the 200whp level. which is about what stock SS/SC and redline put down while weighing less

the bov did not decide the outcome
Old 12-11-2005, 02:29 PM

again, like i said

WRX with out tuning is slow

up and tbe alone will still leave a WRX at or below the 200whp level. which is about what stock SS/SC and redline put down while weighing less

the bov did not decide the outcome
No but it was a good indication of what tunning the guy did or didn't have. If he was well set up he wouldn't have had it.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:35 PM

then i guess i'm a ricer and my car isnt setup well
Old 12-11-2005, 03:11 PM

then i guess i'm a ricer and my car isnt setup well
You have a FMIC, so having a BOV makes sense.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by pkskull77
You have a FMIC, so having a BOV makes sense.
yea, just kidding around

although, i saw this WRX that had a CF hood and no hoodscoop. went in closer thinking, cool, another wrx with a fmic. i get there, no fmic. i look through the vent, and saw the bottom half of the stock tmic.

i talked to the owner telling her she needs a hoodscoop. her reply was "i have one, its just backwards"

i just didnt have a reply for that.

that my friend, is a ricer.