War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Turbo Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pkskull77
Although the profit loss numbers aren't readily available, the fact that Pontiac doesn't have a replacement for the GTO, or another car that is selling, speaks volumes about how far in the red GTO was. With the state of Pontiac and GM in general, if the car was making any money, or was mildly popular they would have made the adjustments necessary to bring it to spec. In other words, if people where buying it, they would have kept it around, because it would bring people into the show room.

The fact that GM took one of its trump cards and went half-a** on it is a shame. The cars history, and loyal following was going to bring it instant attention, and they knew this. Dealers were gouging the heck out of the car when it was released, and after people got ripped off, they were disappointed by the performance.

I strongly disagree with you on the demographics not being shared between these cars. The GTO, STI and EVO are 30,000 dollar sports cars. Although their styling is different they are both targeted at the same crowd.

Are some people die hard American, and others Die Hard Japanese, absolutely. It's the crowd in the middle everyone is shooting for, because you've already got your “die hards” on board. When people were torn, they went with the EVO and STI. Why? They are better sports cars, 50 or 100 hp aside.

I was one of a middle of the roaders, I really wanted to go American so I could help the economy, but I was not willing to sacrifice performance and reliability for patriotism. I have driven all three cars, and trust me when I say you can feel a difference. The balance of the EVO and STI is far better. The GTO, pushed you back in your seat, but the car felt heavy, and that’s because it was. Nice interiors are cool for about a week, after that its all about the performace, and despite the HP advantage both the STI and EVO are much better performers.

If you would step outside your bias and look at the facts you would agree with me. Go on the web and try to find an unbiased opinion that will state that the GTO is a better car. Good luck, your not going to find one.
I honestly don't see how GM could have done anything different with the GTO to make it a better car, besides designing a brand new platform. They worked with what they had, and considering that, the result was a damn good car. The GTO's only flaws were its slightly heavy weight and subtle styling, which turned a lot of buyers off. Besides that though, you couldn't have asked for a better GTO.

I honestly don't think the STi, Evo, and GTO are targeted at the same demographic of buyers. Both the Evo and STi are marketed towards the boy racer crowd, with their aggressive front fascias, 4-cylinder turbo engines, massive wings, and racing inspired interiors. The GTO is more of a GT/Muscle car, with its handsome, subtle styling, large size, luxurious interior, and a powerful V8 coupled to a wide ratio 6-speed. They are almost complete opposites.

As for the Evo and STi being "better sports cars", thats entirely your opinion, not a fact by any means. Personally I prefer muscle cars over 4-door turbo sedans, regardless of what country they come from. The GTO is just a much more mature vehicle than the STi or Evo is percieved as, its car you could drive to a prefessional job without question. Next to at-the-limit handling, neither the STi nor the Evo offer anything over the GTO in terms of performance. I'd rather have a 2-door, 6-speed, V8 Muscle car over any 4-banger turbo-lagging rally sedan any day. If you feel different, thats cool, but I'm not the only one who has that opinion.

I don't have a bias, I just think that the GTO is the better car, and if it were my money, that would no doubt be my choice.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
I don't have a bias, I just think that the GTO is the better car, and if it were my money, that would no doubt be my choice.
The problem is that you argue from your opinion, and generally don't state it as such. On paper the STI is a better all around sports car. There is no debate, none. You will not find an unbiased opinion that states differently. Search all of the web, if they pick a GTO it's becuase they are on the GM payroll, or are waxing poetic about American Muscle. If your planning on buying new GTO, I would hurry up, even the leftovers are getting scarse.

Pontiac/GM should have started fresh with the GTO. If the car had been a better product I gaurantee it would have been a real winner. The nastalgic look is in right now, and what GM Muscle car had more of a following than the GTO. Unfotunately they approached the situation with yesterdays thinking, and they've soilded the name. Next time a GTO is released they hype will be gone.

The answer now-a-days in the 30+ market is not to drop a bigger motor in a tired platform (eg 350-400 when things aren't going well). You build it light, and you build it well balanced, or else you won't be building it for long. Today's consomers are not satisfied with lots of leather and a bigger motor. They want a well balanced, corner hugging machine. YES, people are willing to sacrifice looks and comfort for these things.

With hundreds of car magazines, and even more websites, people are reading more before they buy. Consumers are more educated, and influnced by proffesionals. Proffesionals who generally prefer the complete driving experience rather than just MUSCLE and TRAP TIMES.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Banned

The problem is that you argue from your opinion, and generally don't state it as such. On paper the STI is a better all around sports car. There is no debate, none. You will not find an unbiased opinion that states differently. Search all of the web, if they pick a GTO it's becuase they are on the GM payroll, or are waxing poetic about American Muscle. If your planning on buying new GTO, I would hurry up, even the leftovers are getting scarse.

Pontiac/GM should have started fresh with the GTO. If the car had been a better product I gaurantee it would have been a real winner. The nastalgic look is in right now, and what GM Muscle car had more of a following than the GTO. Unfotunately they approached the situation with yesterdays thinking, and they've soilded the name. Next time a GTO is released they hype will be gone.

The answer now-a-days in the 30+ market is not to drop a bigger motor in a tired platform (eg 350-400 when things aren't going well). You build it light, and you build it well balanced, or else you won't be building it for long. Today's consomers are not satisfied with lots of leather and a bigger motor. They want a well balanced, corner hugging machine. YES, people are willing to sacrifice looks and comfort for these things.

With hundreds of car magazines, and even more websites, people are reading more before they buy. Consumers are more educated, and influnced by proffesionals. Proffesionals who generally prefer the complete driving experience rather than just MUSCLE and TRAP TIMES.
Sorry to inform you, but there is in fact a "debate" about which is the better sports car. Its your opinion that the STi is better, not a fact. I personally think the GTO is better, and would never even consider buying a 4-banger sedan with a huge ricer wing as a sports car. To me thats just plain ridiculous. But to each his own.

The GTO was nothing more than an interim car anyway, hence the reason GM didn't spend big bucks on developing a new platform or significantly modifying the Monaro's styling. However, thats not to say it isn't a good vehicle, its got nice styling, IRS, a 400HP LS2 V8, a high quality/attractive interior, and a 6-speed manual trans. You can't ask for much more than that for $30K, seriously.

Obviously the GTO doesn't have the handling of the STi or Evo, being that its more of a GT car than anything else. It was designed for straight line power and cruising, and they added IRS to give it respectable handling. Wait until the 2009 Camaro comes out, that should not only match the Evo/STi in handling, but it should be even faster than the GTO, being that it will have the same powertrain with 400lbs less weight to carry around. Then GM will have themselves an undebatably better sports car than the Evo/STi.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
Sorry to inform you, but there is in fact a "debate" about which is the better sports car. Its your opinion that the STi is better, not a fact. I personally think the GTO is better, and would never even consider buying a 4-banger sedan with a huge ricer wing as a sports car. To me thats just plain ridiculous. But to each his own.
Debates should be grounded in fact or professional opinion, and not in personal opinion. Any debated based solely on the "I thinks" is irrelevant. If we are debating different sides of an argument I already know what “you think.”

As for 2009, well that’s a heck of a long ways away. From what I've seen of the car, it should be fantastic. However, the other cars on the market will be better too, so it may be a bit premature to make statements like "undebatebly better sports car."

Furthermore this car is all concepts, and a heck of a lot ususally gets culled out between concept and production. I have seen quite a few cars that looked fantastic in concept, and ended up being bombs in production.

Finally, with the way GM is headed, 2009 might be a stretch. By that time someone else might own the company, and they may not be to keen on the Camaro. Bottom line? Don't hold your breath on this car.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Banned

Debates should be grounded in fact or professional opinion, and not in personal opinion. Any debated based solely on the "I thinks" is irrelevant. If we are debating different sides of an argument I already know what “you think.”

As for 2009, well that’s a heck of a long ways away. From what I've seen of the car, it should be fantastic. However, the other cars on the market will be better too, so it may be a bit premature to make statements like "undebatebly better sports car."

Furthermore this car is all concepts, and a heck of a lot ususally gets culled out between concept and production. I have seen quite a few cars that looked fantastic in concept, and ended up being bombs in production.

Finally, with the way GM is headed, 2009 might be a stretch. By that time someone else might own the company, and they may not be to keen on the Camaro. Bottom line? Don't hold your breath on this car.
The concept to production alteration is all to often true, but I think GM is genuinely serious about the new Camaro. Their reputation as well as a significant profit margin is riding on the new Camaro, so I doubt that they will sacrifice that for a few pennies here and there to jeopardize that. Its also going to have some serious competition from the Mustang and Challenger, so they will need to stay ahead of the competition in order to gain market share. Its not like the concept is a radical design that will need to be significantly modified in order to make production, it looks relatively production ready. The 2007 Tahoe is a perfect example of what GM can do when they put the effort into a product instead of just going the cheap route, and I think the 2009 Camaro will follow suite.