Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

All-Season Tire Comparable to SS/TC stock Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All-Season Tire Comparable to SS/TC stock Tires?

I'm new to the Nebraska winter with the Cobalt, is there a All-Season tire comparable to the stock tires on the SS/TC? I like the stickyness of the tires I have now, but I don't want to loose it with a All-Season tire.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best bet is to get dedicated winter tires. yea, it may be more of a pain in the ass if you have to swap them twice a year, but you'll never have the summer or winter traction of dedicated tires.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 PM

Get winter tires you will never regret it.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 PM

I got winter tires for my 08 TC. One of the best decisons I made honestly! Pay the extra its so worth it!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:17 AM

I have an LS and I have a set of winter wheels/tires for my car...best investment ever.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 AM

Simple answer is no. You're trying to compare an all-season tire that you can run in snow and ice to a dedicated summer-only performance tire that works best above 50°F. The all-season tires have improved a lot over the years but so have summer tires. While the ContiSportContact2 isn't the most premiere maximum performance summer tire, it does provide a very good blend of dry and wet performance. You're going to give up some of that traction and handling moving to an all-season.

Best bet as suggested is to get a set of dedicated snow tires if your part of the state sees extended snow or ice conditions. While many of the all-season tires are "good enough", they're still a compromise, and just like they can't perform as well as a summer tire, they also can't beat a dedicated stud-less snow tire. An added benefit to getting an extra set of wheels and snow tires is that when you have them on the car part of the year it increase the service life of the good summer tires because you're not racking up as much miles on them (even if you could use them). Switch to an all-season and you're stuck all year long with average performance in both seasons.

It all comes down to preference and what you expect out of the car. If you're willing to give up a little handling and braking capability in good weather for an average tire year-round there are some very good all-season tires on the market that are M+S and rated for light snow. They'll also last longer than the stock tires if treated well. Just don't expect a miracle in performance.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:27 AM

I used BFG G-force Super Sport A/S. I'm sure there are far better tires (summer only) that grip more in the summer. As far as I'm concerned though when compared to the OEM Conti's.... The BFG's grip just as much if not more and are "usable" in the snow. I live in Iowa and I made it last winter with no issues. Just have to take it easy.

I agree with the other answers but I just CAN NOT... as in DO NOT have the ability right now to dish out the up front cost to go dedicated.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:04 PM

If you don't have the space to store two sets of tires and/or wheel combo, or can't afford extra wheels or don't want the hassle of swapping out tires and mounting and balancing at the change of every season then an all-season might be the best choice. There are some that are pretty good, especially when compared to older tires. Those BF-Gs are a nice choice and I'm running the new Dunlop SP SPort Signature on one of my Focus and have been very happy driving it through snow and ice and then using it in the mountain twisties in summer. Would the ContiSporContact2 be a better tire on that car? Absolutely, but for light spirited driving the all-season Dunlops are fine.

The main thing to remember is that you are going to be giving something up. There's nothing wrong with that and doesn't mean the car won't still be fun, just don't push it too far thinking you'll have the same max level of grip.