Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

BFGoodrich G-force Super sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG G-force Super sport PICS!

I have been trying to find a real nice all season tire that is doable in the snow but also great in the wet and dry. Well a friend of mine put these g-Force Super Sport tires on his civic and he let me drive it around and my god, they are a very very smooth riding tire, have excellent traction in the wet and dry and dont do too bad in the snow either.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....er+Sport+A%2FS

Got the tires on, awesome tire!! I got the 225/45/r17, i love the stance and the handling

PICS!

Last edited by _UnLiMiTeD_; 11-16-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM

just got my tires on, the super sports. Got 225/45/r17, awesome tire so far, handles much better.

The shop put the tire at 43psi, is that what these ones should be at? i cant find the tire pressure specs for these ones.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Holy **** 43psi?!

I would think they should be at 37 at most. I run mine at 35...
Unless I am way off, which if I am someone please correct me
Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 PM

i run mine at 42, i think max pressure is 44.

pirellis btw>>
Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 PM

yea i talked to BFG and they said it should be nowhere near 43, they only recommend 35-36 psi for the tire. So i put it down to 35 psi and i must say it handles better

Originally Posted by fballman1987
i run mine at 42, i think max pressure is 44.

pirellis btw>>
u never run the max, thats not meant to be run on our cars, thats for max loads and **** which the cobalt is nowhere near

Last edited by _UnLiMiTeD_; 11-13-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-16-2008, 04:40 PM

bump for some pics installed!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 AM

I'm thinking of picking a set of these up. Any advantages to going with the 225/45/17 over the 205/50/17? Does the tire look noticeably wider?

I've narrowed my decision down to these tires, just have to settle on a size. I know they say you should get a narrower tire in snow conditions, but the winters aren't that harsh around here. Usually Michigan gets hammered, then it misses us here in Windsor, then London, Toronto, and Ottawa get buried. Winter tires are too expensive a venture right now, and like I said, with the marginal snowfall we get, its not an investment I really want to make unless I have to.

So any input you could give on the difference the two sizes makes, if any, would be great.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM

That is stock ride height correct??

I want coilovers but I'm thinking twice about them...Canadian winters + Coilovers = FTL
Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Dude i just picked up a set of these and they are amazing. Handels so much better than stockers.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gturismo1
I'm thinking of picking a set of these up. Any advantages to going with the 225/45/17 over the 205/50/17? Does the tire look noticeably wider?

I've narrowed my decision down to these tires, just have to settle on a size. I know they say you should get a narrower tire in snow conditions, but the winters aren't that harsh around here. Usually Michigan gets hammered, then it misses us here in Windsor, then London, Toronto, and Ottawa get buried. Winter tires are too expensive a venture right now, and like I said, with the marginal snowfall we get, its not an investment I really want to make unless I have to.

So any input you could give on the difference the two sizes makes, if any, would be great.

the 225 look noticeably wider then 205 and the handling is much better, i definately recommend the 225/45/17. You wont be sorry you got these tires

Originally Posted by QuickShift
That is stock ride height correct??

I want coilovers but I'm thinking twice about them...Canadian winters + Coilovers = FTL
yes the pic is with stock ride height, absolutely no rubbing, not even close.

Last edited by _UnLiMiTeD_; 12-08-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM

My only complaint about those tires is that they are directional, and can't be normally rotated.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 AM

Well, I can say that these do work a lot better than the Pirelli's in the snow.

I only bought two, because the rear tires where to the point of baldness. The front tires, one is new (replaced under warranty - punctured), and the other has about fifty percent tread left. Well, that and not having another $400 right now for another two. So I'll definitely be picking up another two of them after the winter, or whenever I have enough funds.

I drove them yesterday in about an three-four inches of snow with the Pirelli's on the front, the BFG's on the rear. Why? Because when I took it in, the rear tires were bald, so he mounted them on the back. They would have wanted more money to rotate the tires, so I figured I do it at home with the jack and my air compressor. That was right up until the damn snow storm blew in.

So off I went to work with the good tires in the rear, and the garbage on the front. It was a bit odd, you could feel that the car had more grip in the rear. The front end would beg for traction, but the rear end resisted any sort of fishtailing. So having experienced what the Pirelli's did in the snow, I went about rotating them around this morning.

So initial impressions? These definitely provide more traction. Now don't take that as they're as good as winter tires, because, one, I've never driven with winter tires, and two, they'll spin the tires in the snow, just like the Pirelli's, but they don't give you that, "it's a lost cause" feeling.

But where I really noticed a difference was under braking. With with the P6's, they'd give you worry about whether the car would actually stop, or whether the ABS would just keep pulsing until the end of days. Which apparently is impossible because I've had my ABS system shut down after about 7 or 8 seconds of ABS application. Either way, the BFG's feel like their finding the little bit of traction that is available. It doesn't stop on a dime on packed snow and ice, but it sure as hell is an improvement on the Pirelli's. I found myself driving home from work tonight, approaching each stop sign a little faster, to test the limits of it. Where the Pirelli's would have had me sliding past the stop sign and well into the intersection, these bite in, and stop the car much more confidently.

I guess that is the word I would use to define how these tires feel under braking in snowy conditions, confident, well, at least compared to the P6's.

My only problem is a noticed a slight shake in the wheels at highway speed. It could have been ice built up in the wheel well, but I don't know. I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Hoping it isn't a defective tire. Maybe the person at the tire shop didn't balance them properly, or perhaps these new tires have brought out an alignment issue that the old tires hid. I'll keep you guys posted.

But I did go with the wider tire, 225/45/17, and yes, it looks awesome on the car. You can tell it is wider, but not obnoxiously wider. It sticks out just enough that the wheel has better protection from curb rash than with the Pirellis.

We've got a snowstorm heading out way on Friday, so I look forward to posting on how well, or how horribly these things are in those conditions
Old 12-19-2008, 10:10 AM

bump can we get some more views with the tires? like from the corner, want to see what they really look like on the car
Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 PM

i can go outside and get some pics right now for you. Update, we have gotten some snow here and these tires are doing awesome!

Edit:

Heres some more pics with the tires on the cobalt:

Old 12-20-2008, 01:29 AM

Yep, I definitely can vouch that these tires do infinitely better than the Pirelli's in the snow.

I took it out this morning with about 4-6 inches on the ground. Feathered it in 1st gear and the thing just gripped. I thought I was doomed when I watched my brother in the Trailblazer (4x2) getting stuck in the same snow, the thing would just sink in and get stuck. With the old tires, it would have done the same with the Cobalt. They would just loose traction no matter how lightly you worked the clutch/throttle, then it would just spin the tires in place. Then you'd have the reverse/forward rock the car just to get enough momentum to get it going, only to get it stuck again a foot later.

But these things just don't seem to have that problem. Those giant snow mountains that the snow plows leave at the entrance to the street, it even made it through those. Now, it wasn't like they had spikes on them, you had to be smart about the throttle, but they would find the little bit of available grip, and use it.

I've spent most of the day watching Foci, Neons, Cobalts, etc, getting stuck in the entrances to streets, parking lots, hell, even on the sides of roads. But I haven't gotten stuck once all day, and these are on unplowed roads.

I even avoided an accident when some idiot in a truck pulled out of a parking lot without looking. He just drove right out onto the road, then looked, then saw traffic coming his way, and slammed on his brakes. Now having a giant truck sitting like a wall in the road about thirty feet ahead of me, I eased off the throttle, turned the wheel to the left, and the Cobalt jumped into the other lane and around this idiot. With the old tires, I'm almost certain I'd be posting some nice pictures of the smashed front end of my car. So in my eyes, they paid for themselves right there.

We're supposed to be getting a bit more snow over the weekend, I'll keep you posted on my impressions, but so far, I'd definitely recommend these to somebody looking for winter grip, but not looking to invest in a separate set of Winter tires.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:46 AM

another good review, more happy people woot. We are going to be getting about a foot of snow in the next 3-4 days or so. So far i havent got stuck at all, even on hard compact snow and icey roads.

Like he said, as long as you ease into the throttle and drive like its winter out, you will have no problems. If you try to accelerate like its dry or just raining out, your car wont go very far lol
Old 12-20-2008, 02:11 PM

awesome im picking up this tire next week for my SS/TC.. i was going to get a 235/40/18. i cant wait to get. What do you guys think of the size? seems like everyone on here is going up one shoe size... should i do the same?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Not bad, I need to get some new shoes for the wife's WRX...these could end up going on hers.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:32 PM

I'm sold on the size. I was running 215/40/17's, but I love how fat those tires look, I'll need new rubber for summer so looks like I'll be switching to that size. Those look like a good tire, good review!