Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Few questions thinking about buying the Potenza RE-11's

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Few questions thinking about buying the Potenza RE-11's

Hey guys i have a 08 SS/TC and i'm wanting to put some new tires on her. I'm really leaning towards the RE-11's they just came out and they seem amazing from what i have read on the bimmer forums and whatnot. So my question is this, for anybody running the RE01's or even the Dunlop Star Spec tires, how long did they last? Most of my driving will be street with some track events.

Another question that might have been discussed already is my stock size is 225/40/18, i'm wondering if i could use a 235/40/18 and have no issues such as rubbing and overall just correct fitment on my stock rims.

Thanks in advance guys/gals.

Oh and for anybody wondering what the tire is here is a link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=24WR8RE11XL
Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 PM

If they have a low tread wear rating, they won't last long. 235/40/18's will be fine. That's what is on the wheels in my sig.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scott2008SS
Hey guys i have a 08 SS/TC and i'm wanting to put some new tires on her. I'm really leaning towards the RE-11's they just came out and they seem amazing from what i have read on the bimmer forums and whatnot. So my question is this, for anybody running the RE01's or even the Dunlop Star Spec tires, how long did they last? Most of my driving will be street with some track events.

Another question that might have been discussed already is my stock size is 225/40/18, i'm wondering if i could use a 235/40/18 and have no issues such as rubbing and overall just correct fitment on my stock rims.

Thanks in advance guys/gals.

Oh and for anybody wondering what the tire is here is a link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=24WR8RE11XL
If you combine "some track events" and street use, they will go pretty fast. That also depends on what do you actually mean by "some".

How long do you want/need them to last? IMO, the stock tires are perfect for street. If you plan on doing track days, get a cheap set of wheels for the street, use the stock rim with some good tires for the track is more fun and better.

The RE11 is both directional and asymmetrical, which means they cannot be rotated for even wear. If you want a good set and would like to squeeze more life out of the tire, IMO, go with Direzza Star Spec; since they have symmetrical pattern so they can be cross mounted for more even wear.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:16 AM

I think i can get 20K out of them. I just ordered them and will give you guys a full recap once i get them. You can in fact do proper rotation, it seems odd but the way it's suppose to be setup if you look at the outer grooves (L) shaped almost, they will be going one direction on one side and another on the other. So unless i am misunderstanding what they were talking about on the bimmer forums you can rotate for proper tread wear. From what i have read about this tire it is truly amazing, a much better tire than the replacement (RE-01) Better dry performance, beating the RE-01 by about .7 seconds around a track, and the water performance is even better. Some of the guys over on the bimmer forums have shaved them down to 4/32 and have about 6+ events on them and they say wear is minimal. I for one am not going to shave or heat cycle these. Thanks for all the input guys! I will give a full report once i get them on, hopefully Friday!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scott2008SS
I think i can get 20K out of them. I just ordered them and will give you guys a full recap once i get them. You can in fact do proper rotation, it seems odd but the way it's suppose to be setup if you look at the outer grooves (L) shaped almost, they will be going one direction on one side and another on the other. So unless i am misunderstanding what they were talking about on the bimmer forums you can rotate for proper tread wear. From what i have read about this tire it is truly amazing, a much better tire than the replacement (RE-01) Better dry performance, beating the RE-01 by about .7 seconds around a track, and the water performance is even better. Some of the guys over on the bimmer forums have shaved them down to 4/32 and have about 6+ events on them and they say wear is minimal. I for one am not going to shave or heat cycle these. Thanks for all the input guys! I will give a full report once i get them on, hopefully Friday!
IMO, no point shaving and heat cycle non R-compund tires. Good to know they are uni-directional.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:37 PM

I know a guy who used them for 2 summer seasons and 15 track days each summer. He loves them and bought the RE-11's again. He said they have awesome wet traction and just a really good track/DD tire