ZZ Performance ZZ Performance is a proud Supporting Vendor

The one and only ZZP...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
The one and only ZZP...

There was a nice write up in the latest (August 2014) issue of GM High Tech Performance where a guy has a real world build (unless I missed something) where he's pumping out roughly 470hp...

Oh that would be so nice...

So I might have once again found my way to your site ~ and while there, this intrigued me;
Fastest LNF 10.99@133.6mph (27psi) 710whp (44psi)
Fastest stock turbo LNF 11.62@119mph 383whp
I seem to recall the 710hp LNF as being a 5th injector car running cams, a pre-production turbo upgrade of sorts, and alot of ethonal...
Although I don't recall anything of the stock turbo 383hp car, I am guessng it too used corn...

I was wondering, since all the threads I can recall reading that Matt made were on cars pulling out all the tricks available at the time (in addition to running ethanol and or a race gas mix, that simply is unattainable where I live);
What about guys who are interested in real world daily driver cars - car's that have to run on pump gas, and be reliable year round in order to ensure that a paycheque comes in...

Guys like me.

I haven't bought much from you guys, then again my car is decidedly quite stock at the moment;
I currently run a catless downpipe, GMS2 MAP's a 21psi tune, and Powell mounts.

For me, I am guessing that a fifth injector, or even the newer upgraded injectors are going to totally screw my mileage estimator (on the DIC) - and since I do a daily commute which is about 70 miles (plus or minus), this is a feature I do not want to screw with...
(if advances in tuning have allowed for the DIC to accurately reflect mileage estimations with different injectos, please correct me)

Ideally I would like to install:
  1. an upgraded set of cams
  2. intercooler (and corresponding charge pipes; Yes I might be the only original owner still rocking stock charge pipes!)
  3. possibly a TRE intake (in part because it matches your charge pipes)
  4. ZFR

I believe that to make good reliable power you have to dig into the engine, and the answer is NOT to simply bump up the boost pressure;
I have stayed at 21psi because of the stock intercooler that I still retain;
I would think that 24/25 PSI would be my max, and if the stock pistons/rings/rods might need to be explored, I'm not totally against it (Having a spare motor does have it's perks afterall).

I don't know how often you read/respond to emails or threads like this, but was wondering if you could help to inform the masses here of what might be attainable while still keeping the car as a good reliable daily driver (a part of which is retaining semi-accurate info on the DIC) and doing the modifications I have listed above, while still running pump gas...

I think I might be getting the itch ~ in part because I am told that my car is often running a little rich on the tune that I have (which is probably limited due to the parts, or lack thereof that I have installed).

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idk about the DIC, but if you're looking to be a reliable daily driver on pump gas, then I would suggest ZZP's intercooler and the ZFR. You don't need to swap cams or any fuel mods unless you're going to e85. Stock clutch might be ok depending on the current condition.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by taintedred07
Idk about the DIC, but if you're looking to be a reliable daily driver on pump gas, then I would suggest ZZP's intercooler and the ZFR. You don't need to swap cams or any fuel mods unless you're going to e85. Stock clutch might be ok depending on the current condition.
Thank you for you opinion, I do not wish to seem dismissive, unfortunately I probably will...

As I've understood it, by going with a longer duration camshaft, you are theoretically allowing more chance for air to be introduced to the combustion mixture;
If you have more air, you can introduce more fuel.

To further my personal understanding;
Methonal injection is a means of introducing more air to the combustion mixture, but IMHO, isn't an ideal way to do it;
An additional way of cramming more air, is turning up the boost, but this puts additional stresses on the piston, namely the ring lands...

I have time and again butted heads with the modern version of 'hot-rodder' who insists that you don't need to change cams or shortblock, but frankly, I'm just not buying it.
The modern version of a hot rodder just turns up the boost, or goes to methonal or nitrous - which I am no interested in doing.

The article in GMHTP seemed to have a car that ran on pump gas, wasn't running more than 24/25psi, used several ZZP parts, and it made a whopping 470hp!

I am really looking for someone from ZZP to chime in, under the auspices of them sharing information for other people like me, who are interested in doing substancial upgrades while not running ethonal;
Or for them to chime in of lets say the upgraded injectors can be compensated for in the tune so that the DIC can still display accurate mileage readings.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
good luck with that. you add methanol to increase octane to run more timing.

youll make 470 with a different turbo. more flow, same pressure.

we cant change the dic output. its worthless anyways. at least the fuel mileage calculations. its generalized and not exact anyways.

you can butt heads with everyone all you want and disagree until your face turns blue, but these blocks, and internals can make upwards of 400 hp stock. i was just reading about a guy is running a stock engine lsj with a turbo kit to over 500 hp. methanol and ethanol are just the best ways to make the most power with the limitations of the stock fuel system.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
We can adjust for the injectors in the ecm, but I don't believe that the DIC takes the injector scaling into consideration. I guess that is something that should be tested. The problem with the fuel consumption calculations is that there is no combustion chamber pressure readings to use when calculating injector flow. It is just based off the pre-set tables. Mods like larger cams or a more efficient turbo will quickly throw off the cylinder pressure calculations.

Our 710whp setup ran a 62mm Bullseye Turbo with a mix of E85 and 110 octane.
383whp on the stock turbo was on E85 with larger pump lobe and a 5th injector setup. Some of the power gains came from weight reduction. Aluminum flywheel and LSJ brake rotors as well as light weight race wheels and the slicks that I raced on were used on the dyno.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
We can adjust for the injectors in the ecm, but I don't believe that the DIC takes the injector scaling into consideration. I guess that is something that should be tested. The problem with the fuel consumption calculations is that there is no combustion chamber pressure readings to use when calculating injector flow. It is just based off the pre-set tables. Mods like larger cams or a more efficient turbo will quickly throw off the cylinder pressure calculations.

Our 710whp setup ran a 62mm Bullseye Turbo with a mix of E85 and 110 octane.
383whp on the stock turbo was on E85 with larger pump lobe and a 5th injector setup. Some of the power gains came from weight reduction. Aluminum flywheel and LSJ brake rotors as well as light weight race wheels and the slicks that I raced on were used on the dyno.
Thank you for chiming in
Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soundjunky
To further my personal understanding;
Methonal injection is a means of introducing more air to the combustion mixture, but IMHO, isn't an ideal way to do it;
An additional way of cramming more air, is turning up the boost, but this puts additional stresses on the piston, namely the ring lands...
Methanol Injection does not introduce more air, It add more fuel to your mixture, and it raises your octane level which allows you to push more timing hence increasing the power, if anything, Methanol injection cools down the combustion chambers and burns more efficiently than regular gasoline