Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Nexus 7 installed in dash! Pics enclosed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Bump. I'm interested to know the parts list involved, looking to do this exact thing.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bump I want more................................
Old 10-16-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I like what you're doing. Good job!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys just wanted to apologize for posting this up here and not following up. I am kind of stuck because the person irl that was helping me has not had time to help me further the project. My problem is that I am not very good with electricty and how it flows and to get everything working correctly. We had everything hooked up and testing and I couldn't get the tablet to work at full charging capacity. It was charging very slowly. I believe the last thing we did was order another type of cable to test, but we haven't tested it yet and my friend did all the drawings while we were working so I don't really understand them. I would be willing to post pictures of the work that is completed so far and the diagram he drew if someone really wants this to come to life. I am selling my cobalt in 1 month unfortunately so I won't have much more time to work with it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Post everything you have maybe someone would understand and get it figured out
Old 02-04-2016, 12:46 PM

I'll need ~4-5 hours before I can post anything. I am at work right now.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
There's an awesome setup for this online. for media, you can pick up a USB hub that can connect multiple USB items. From that you connect to your speakers with a USB DAC, you connect a flash drive with music that can route to your glove compartment or something, and a USB adapter that butts into your radio antenna. SDR touch is an offline FM radio app that works with the device. you can even route a backup camera this way.

As for your charging, looking up TIMUR's kernel online if you're familiar with rooting android, made specifically for Nexus 7. it forces deep sleep with no noticfications upon power off from car, and gives you all the base modificastions you need for it to effectively run as your head unit. you would jsut need your choice of apps from there. I've been doing the homework, have the software and tablet, just waiting to buy the rest of the parts.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Olybaltss you should post everything your getting like Web pages and all that good stuff for anyone trying to get it done
Old 02-04-2016, 01:48 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comm...dunit_install/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.ph?t=2113259
Nexus 7 Car Install - ROM and Software Information ? cuddleburrito (this has the Kernel/Rom information that will make the tablet best emulate the way that a standard ehad unit does, ie power on with car, power off, force deep sleep w/no notifications w/out power)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ls/ref=...CE&ty=wishlist

These are the pages i'm using to get my information and parts lists from. the Amazon parts list page is still under construction and may not have everything or an extra piece or two, but if it does, it's related to wiring audio from the tablet to speakers, the rest is accurate so far.

My plan includes getting a split end USB OTG cable, that lets it plug into the micro usb port on the tablet and have one end supply power while the 3rd endwill branch out to the 4-5 port USB Hub that allows multiple USB devices to connect to the tablet.
Attached Thumbnails fhftbjdiegxs97r.large.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Snail_SS (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 PM

This is the basic setup, except where it says amplifier is the GMOS-LAN harness.

I'm using the ElementalX kernal to get the USB-OTG cable to work as it should with charging and the hub available at the same time. And Nova launcher for the actual interface.

My main issue is figuring out if we need a tiny amp between the DAC and GMOS-LAN harness since normally a head unit kicks out ~50Wx4ch and that might be what the harness is expecting, DACs don't kick out that sort of power.

Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your mounting solution as well.

Last edited by YelloEye; 02-04-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by YelloEye
This is the basic setup, except where it says amplifier is the GMOS-LAN harness.

I'm using the ElementalX kernal to get the USB-OTG cable to work as it should with charging and the hub available at the same time. And Nova launcher for the actual interface.

My main issue is figuring out if we need a tiny amp between the DAC and GMOS-LAN harness since normally a head unit kicks out ~50Wx4ch and that might be what the harness is expecting, DACs don't kick out that sort of power.

Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your mounting solution as well.
As soon as it's figured out i will. bought the DIN but haven't had much time to do anything yet.I've got a buddy that does some 3d printing, as well as fiberglass work though, so i'm kinda crossing my fingers.

I'm curious about the amp question too. I believe that more expensive DACs would provide more power output, but i don't have any idea what range.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Olybaltss
As soon as it's figured out i will. bought the DIN but haven't had much time to do anything yet.I've got a buddy that does some 3d printing, as well as fiberglass work though, so i'm kinda crossing my fingers.

I'm curious about the amp question too. I believe that more expensive DACs would provide more power output, but i don't have any idea what range.
I really need to buy the frame, think that would motivate me to get on it.

I highly doubt anything USB powered is going to output 50w at all. The Turtle Beach Audio Advantage II outputs in the mW range. http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/10/...-micro-ii.html

Last edited by YelloEye; 02-04-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice. I was going to do this with my corvette. had everything lined up but went a different direction. there's a thread on corvette forum that listed some apps and widgets to make it a smoother in car experience. You're making me want to consider this again.
The following users liked this post:
Olybaltss (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:27 PM

There's an awesome setup for this online. for media, you can pick up a USB hub that can connect multiple USB items. From that you connect to your speakers with a USB DAC, you connect a flash drive with music that can route to your glove compartment or something, and a USB adapter that butts into your radio antenna. SDR touch is an offline FM radio app that works with the device. you can even route a backup camera this way.

As for your charging, looking up TIMUR's kernel online if you're familiar with rooting android, made specifically for Nexus 7. it forces deep sleep with no noticfications upon power off from car, and gives you all the base modificastions you need for it to effectively run as your head unit. you would jsut need your choice of apps from there. I've been doing the homework, have the software and tablet, just waiting to buy the rest of the parts.
This sounds like a lot of my build. I'm sorry I got into a fight with my gf last night and I was not able to get around to it. We have rescheduled our dinner tonight so I may not be able to get it done tonight either. I'm truly sorry I was not able to get this done for you guys last night. I will try to get it done this weekend. I have the weekend off work.

I have timurs kernel and my nexus 7 is rooted. I have all of this stuff working except that my tablet will not charge at the full power the kernel allows. Maybe I can just do it real quick when I get off work.

Again really sorry. I hope someone does this, as it looks super nice and clean when installed and can be taken out relatively easy if needed... I'm sure someone can do a better job than my craftsmanship so please don't be too hard on my soldering and engineering lol.

By the way I think someone asked what I used to hold the tablet? Get the Metra Double Din holder for the cobalt and you can cut a piece of the plastic off to slide the tablet right into it. I just needed some type of strap or something to hold the tablet up against the double din holder so that the tablet wouldn't fall backwards inside the dash. This was going to be my last obstacle other than actually installing everything.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:28 PM

I think you can get a lot of the information that I used when researching from this corvette thread.

Another Android Vette build thread - Corvette Forum
Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM

Here's the one I referenced when considering my build:

Android 7" tablet install in a C6 - Corvette Forum
Old 02-05-2016, 03:04 PM

thanks for the info man! I'm stoked on getting mine in place, the fitment was my biggest concern and it doesn't sound too bad. good luck getting stuffs straightened out.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:41 PM

The Nexus 7 seems to fit almost perfectly with the Metra double din harness. Just a matter of supporting it. If you notice in the thread I posted the user experimented with magnets to actually remove the tablet on demand.

Why must these ideas come back up during tax time.....you guys are going to sink my tax refund!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You guys crazy! But I like it!
Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 AM

for the record, scosche DIN kit fits the Nexus like ass. won't work.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:22 PM

for the record, scosche DIN kit fits the Nexus like ass. won't work.
Is it that bad? I know someone mentioned modifying it to fit.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:57 PM

really? i may be able to, but it doesn't look too promising as of yet
Old 02-15-2016, 11:33 AM

I was doing some reading and it looks like the best way to push power and not worry about a cheap nexus internal dac, is to route audio through usb dac, as once it is rooted it can detect data input and output through the micro usb. So usb otg y splitter off nexus, charging through one port, usb hub to the other and a usb dac taking unprocessed audio data from one of ports to the amp, by way of rca. Output is determined by dac.