2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Codes!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Codes!!

Hey everyone so i just went to turn on my car today and hadnt ran it for 3 days.
Its throwin codes P2176 Minimum throttle not learned and 2101 and 1516 Tac Performance. I dont know whats goingf on. Can someone help?

Bump need help!

help

Last edited by Fonzi1289; 01-26-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 AM

man bro id def help with that, but im too much of a noobie at supercharging stuff lol. dont you already have the tune?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Low voltage or a mechanical issue with the TB are the most likely issue for these. it could also be related to the ECM obviously
Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Yeah man thats why i am confused.. my tb is working

What should i do maven?
I got it running smmoth then went to clip on the bumper and it stoped workin.. twice

Last edited by Fonzi1289; 01-27-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 AM

pull your intake tube off, make sure the TB is slightly open with the key off. make it doesnt move freely, you should have to push against spring pressure to make the TB move at all. Clear the codes and see what happens.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:59 AM

i did that.. wait without the car running?

Ok so i tried that and the butterfly has some good pressure. its slightly open all the time and when i start the car and give it gas it doent move at all

Last edited by Fonzi1289; 01-27-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-27-2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fonzi1289
i did that.. wait without the car running?

Ok so i tried that and the butterfly has some good pressure. its slightly open all the time and when i start the car and give it gas it doent move at all
it doesnt move when you press the gas with the car running? well thats an issue, LOL. turn key on, engine off, step on gas and listen to hear TB, does it make noise? if it does its shot for sure. If it doesnt it could be shot, but it could be a computer or wire issue.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 AM

No well if i turn the car completely off then just turn the ignition on u can see and hear the tb butterfly adjusting.. but then after that nothing. and yeah with the car running
Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 AM

ut oh!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:16 AM

Yeah man tell me about it.. i have no car.. and it was fine until this.. sat for 3 days then yay(sarcasm) doesnt work
Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 AM

welcome to the life of a cobalt owner haha mines hasent gotten that bad..yet (knocks on wood)
Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 AM

HAHA its a G5.. and none of this happened until after the blower but hey i guess i knew it was coming but not all at once
Old 01-27-2010, 01:28 AM

haha, oh thats right, my bad but same chassis/running gear at least! lol
Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 AM

True true.. well i guess i gotta start lookin for another cheap lsj tb

Well i found something.. hope this can help me!

Document ID# 1615205
2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - 4WD
Subject: Information on Normal APP and TP Signal Circuit 2 Voltage Fluctuation - keyword DTC low MIL P0122 P0123 P0220 P0222 P01120 P1220 P1221 P1271 P1275 P1280 P1512 P1514 P1515 P1523 P2101 P2120 P2122 P2123 #PIP3461 - (06/08/2005)

Models: 2004-2006 Buick Rainier

2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

2004-2006 Chevrolet Colorado

2002-2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

2004-2006 GMC Canyon

2002-2006 GMC Envoy

2006 Hummer H3

2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

2005-2006 Saturn Ion

2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu

with 2.2L Engine (VIN F - RPO L61)

2002-2006 Saturn Vue

with 2.2L Engine (VIN D - RPO L61)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
If the APP sensor 2 or TP sensor 2 signal circuit is monitored with an oscilloscope or Fluke 87 DVOM on the 1 ms min/max setting, it may be noted that the signal voltage decreases every 156 ms for 6.25 - 7.8 ms each time.

Recommendation/Instructions:
It is normal for these voltages to drop as described above. This is the result of the PCM testing the APP and TP sensors for internal shorts. During the PCM test for a DTC P2135 (P1221 on 02-03 Vue), the PCM shorts the TP sensor 2 signal to ground every 156 ms for 6.25 - 7.8 ms each time. During the PCM test for a DTC P2138 (P1271 on 02-03 Vue), the PCM shorts the APP sensor 2 signal to ground every 156 ms for 6.25 - 7.8 ms each time. At this time, the PCM monitors the APP sensor 1 and TP sensor 1 signal circuit voltages to ensure that they do not decrease with the sensor 2 signal circuits. If they do, an internal sensor short is present or the signal circuits are shorted together.

If there are no DTCs resetting but toggling voltages are encountered during inspection with an oscilloscope or Fluke 87 DVOM on the 1 ms min/max setting, no repairs should be attempted to prevent the voltages from toggling as it is a normal condition. If DTCs are resetting, follow the related SI diagnostic charts to diagnose the ETC system.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P2101
Circuit Description
The commanded throttle position is compared to the actual throttle position based on accelerator pedal position (APP) and possibly other limiting factors. Both values should be within a calibrated range of each other. The engine control module (ECM) continuously monitors the commanded and actual throttle positions. This DTC sets if the values are greater than the calibrated range.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P2101 Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

Conditions for Running the DTC
• The ignition is ON.

• The ignition voltage is more than 6.5 volts.

• The system is not in the battery save mode.

• The engine is running.

• DTCs P0068, P2119, P2176 are not set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The difference between the predicted and the actual throttle position is more than a calibrated amount.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.
The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.
A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.
Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids
The throttle valve are spring loaded to a slightly open position. The throttle valve should be open approximately 20-25 percent. This is referred to as the rest position. The throttle valve should not be completely closed nor should they be open any more than the specified amount. The throttle valve should move open and to the closed position without binding under the normal spring pressure. The throttle should NOT be free to move open or closed WITHOUT spring pressure. Replace the throttle body if any of these conditions are found.

Important: Operating the throttle blade with the Throttle Blade Control function of the scan tool may cause additional DTCs to set. Do not attempt to diagnose DTCs set during this function.

The scan tool has the ability to operate the throttle control system using special functions. Actuate the throttle valve using the throttle blade control function located in the throttle actuator control (TAC) system menu. This function will operate the throttle valve through the entire range in order to determine if the throttle body and system operate correctly.

Check for the following conditions:

• Use the J 35616 Connector Test Adapter Kit for any test that requires probing the ECM harness connector or a component harness connector.

• Poor connections at the ECM or at the component--Inspect the harness connectors for a poor terminal to wire connection. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections for the proper procedure.

• For intermittents, refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections .

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

The throttle valve is spring loaded in a slightly open position and should move in either direction without binding. The throttle valve should always be under spring pressure.

When the ignition is turned ON, the ECM operates the throttle control motor to verify the integrity of the system prior to start-up. This can be seen by the momentary flash of the test lamp as the ignition is turned ON.

Step
Action
Values
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Engine Control Module (ECM) Connector End Views or Engine Controls Connector End Views

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

Are DTCs P0120, P0220, P2120, P2125, P2135, P2138 also set?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
Go to Step 3

Important: The throttle angle and pedal angle may not correspond during this procedure.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the throttle position (TP) sensor 1 and 2 angle parameters.
Apply and release the accelerator pedal several times.
Does the TP sensor 1 and 2 angle parameters increase as the pedal is applied and decrease as the pedal is released?
--
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 5

Observe the Freeze Frame/Failure Records for this DTC.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?
--
Go to Step 5
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Probe both sides of the ECM 2 fuse with a test lamp connected to ground.
Does the test lamp illuminate on both sides of the fuse?
--
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 16

Turn OFF the ignition.
Probe both sides of the ECM 2 fuse with a test lamp connected to ground.
Does the test lamp illuminate on both sides of the fuse?
--
Go to Step 22
Go to Step 7

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the engine control module (ECM) connector containing the ignition 1 voltage circuit from the powertrain relay.
Measure the resistance of the ignition 1 voltage circuit from the ECM electrical connector to the ECM 2 fuse with a DMM. Refer to Troubleshooting with a Digital Multimeter .
Does the resistance measure less than the specified value?
3 ohms
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 23

Turn OFF the ignition.
Inspect the throttle body for the following conditions. Refer to Diagnostic Aids:
- A throttle valve that is NOT in the rest position.

- A throttle valve that is binding open or closed.

- A throttle valve that is free to move open or closed WITHOUT spring pressure.

Did you find any of these conditions with the throttle body?
--
Go to Step 24
Go to Step 9

Important: The test lamp may momentarily flash when testing these circuits. This is considered normal.

Disconnect the throttle body harness connector.
Probe the throttle actuator control (TAC) motor control 1 and 2 circuits with the test lamp connected to ground.
Did the test lamp illuminate and remain illuminated on either circuit?
--
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 10

Important: The test lamp may momentarily flash when testing these circuits. This is considered normal.

Probe the TAC motor control 1 and 2 circuits with the test lamp connected to battery positive.

Did the test lamp illuminate and remain illuminated on either circuit?
--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 11

Turn OFF the ignition.
Connect the test lamp between the TAC motor control 1 and battery ground.
Important: Ensure that the ECM completely powers down. This can be verified by loss of communication with the scan tool.

Observe the test lamp as you turn ON the ignition.
Does the test lamp flash ON and then turn OFF?
--
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 15

Turn OFF the ignition.
Connect a test lamp between the TAC motor control 2 circuit and battery ground.
Important: Ensure that the ECM completely powers down. This can be verified by loss of communication with the scan tool.

Observe the test lamp as you turn ON the ignition.
Does the test lamp flash ON and then OFF?
--
Go to Step 18
Go to Step 15

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the ECM connector that contains the TAC motor control circuits.
Probe the TAC motor control 1 and 2 circuits with the test lamp connected to ground.
Does the test lamp illuminate?
--
Go to Step 20
Go to Step 19

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the ECM connector that contains the TAC motor control circuits.
Probe the TAC motor control 1 and 2 circuits with the test lamp connected to battery positive.
Does the test lamp illuminate?
--
Go to Step 21
Go to Step 19

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the ECM connector that contains the TAC motor controls circuits.
Test the TAC motor control 1 and 2 circuits for an open or high resistance.
Repair the circuit as necessary. Refer to Wiring Repairs .
Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 26
Go to Step 19

Test the ignition 1 voltage circuit from the powertrain relay for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs .

--
Go to Step 26
Go to Step 17

Test the motor control 1 circuit for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs .

--
Go to Step 26
Go to Step 24

Test for a poor connection or terminal tension at the throttle body connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs .

--
Go to Step 26
Go to Step 24

Test for a poor connection or terminal tension at the ECM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs .

--
Go to Step 26
Go to Step 25

Repair the short to voltage on the circuit where the test lamp remained illuminated. Refer to Wiring Repairs .

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 26
--

Repair the short to ground on the circuit where the test lamp remained illuminated. Refer to Wiring Repairs .

--
Go to Step 26
--

Repair the short to voltage on the ignition 1 voltage circuit from the powertrain relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs .

--
Go to Step 26
--

Repair the open or high resistance in the ignition 1 voltage circuit from the powertrain relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs .

--
Go to Step 26
--

Replace the throttle body assembly. Refer to Throttle Body Assembly Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 26
--

Replace the ECM. Refer to Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming.

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 26
--

Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Step 27

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
System OK

Last edited by Fonzi1289; 01-27-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-27-2010, 01:17 PM

ok guys so i figured it out.. it was my he pump.. when i unpluf it the car runs fine. but when i out it back in it starts messin up???
WHy would this be.. i have it wired into the inj with the add a fuse thing..
Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fonzi1289
ok guys so i figured it out.. it was my he pump.. when i unpluf it the car runs fine. but when i out it back in it starts messin up???
WHy would this be.. i have it wired into the inj with the add a fuse thing..
don't suggest ******* with the inj at all run that fuse off your int. lights or something. might i suggest a fuse that turns on with the acc. that way you get coolant flowing before the cars running and it would allow cool down with the engine off. just my 2 cent.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM

Gotya thanks