Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   2008 SS/TC Loud Clicking? (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/2008-ss-tc-loud-clicking-124678/)

cobaltsstc/roadvirus 05-28-2010 05:06 PM

Does anyone with a cobalt ss tc still have there stock intake and intercooler pipe?

metroplex 05-28-2010 05:11 PM

Mine is still stock.

The SS/TC is one loud car while stock. It buzzes, ticks, and clicks at low speed. I noticed that when the trunk kicking sound occurs, the AFR gets bumped up to 14.7:1 like it is being purged or something.

SS-Performance-RS 06-03-2010 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex (Post 4973181)
Mine is still stock.

The SS/TC is one loud car while stock. It buzzes, ticks, and clicks at low speed. I noticed that when the trunk kicking sound occurs, the AFR gets bumped up to 14.7:1 like it is being purged or something.

Just gonna bump this and say thank GOD! haha I just bought this Victory Red SS/TC 08 used 19000 miles and heard that sound and was like OMFG its broken already! Haha thanks a lot fellas

Audacity 06-03-2010 12:00 PM

What about this one? When I park the car and shut off the engine about 30-40 seconds later I hear a loud click coming from the front of the car near the intercooler. It is maybe a little deeper of a sound than a click. I'll have to record it.

I have never heard the kicking in the trunk sound though.

metroplex 06-04-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Audacity (Post 4988313)
What about this one? When I park the car and shut off the engine about 30-40 seconds later I hear a loud click coming from the front of the car near the intercooler. It is maybe a little deeper of a sound than a click. I'll have to record it.

If I shut off the car after a normal drive, I will hear a repeated TICK TICK TICK TICK sound. It sounds as if a liquid is dripping in the rear of the car, hitting a metallic object - however the powertrain is all in the forward part of the vehicle so there's nothing in the back. I think this is just the exhaust flexing/contracting.

If you look at the Ecotec w/ DI used in the Equinox, it has a metric buttload of insulation on the engine. Imagine an average soccer mom driving a SS/TC - 100% of them will take the car in for weird noises coming from the engine.

suprare'09 06-04-2010 09:19 AM

if you really did do searches & research before buying the car u should know what it is (the clicking i mean)...sticky right?!?!?!?;)

umrdyldo 06-04-2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Audacity (Post 4988313)

What you are likely hearing is the throttle opening and closing. It's recalibrating itself. If you notice, the speedo and tach will flicker when it is doing this.

Very normal and necessary.

metroplex 06-04-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo (Post 4991340)
What you are likely hearing is the throttle opening and closing. It's recalibrating itself. If you notice, the speedo and tach will flicker when it is doing this.

Very normal and necessary.

Oh yeah, this is a one time thing when you shut off the ignition. I hear it too. Just flick the key to the RUN position and flick it off, you should hear the sound.

BK05SS 06-04-2010 11:17 AM

I believe there is a way to eliminate the clicking noise if it bugs you that much, I don't mind it on my 09 SS. I just say to my friends "Cobalts make all sorts of funky noises, they scream, click and woosh depending on the model". Good times

Audacity 06-04-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by BK05SS (Post 4991556)
I believe there is a way to eliminate the clicking noise if it bugs you that much, I don't mind it on my 09 SS. I just say to my friends "Cobalts make all sorts of funky noises, they scream, click and woosh depending on the model". Good times

You for got to mention the squeal, screech and grind as well. (From the rear disc brakes!)

Malaclypsemus 06-04-2010 08:06 PM

Oh... to add one.. That kicking noise you guys are talking about coming from the rear?

I think its the heat shield above the muffler expanding while its getting hot. It'll sound like someone is tapping on the back glass 3 times.

The first time I heard that noise was a WTF moment. I turned around quickly expecting to see someone behind me.

aterminatorz 07-13-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Orozco (Post 4067298)
GM has a TSB out for this concern, its a cover that goes over the direct injection pump to isolate the noise.

I have an important update for everyone regarding the ticking noise coming from the fuel injector pump.

This noise can be reduced by 50%, GM actually makes a part that will quiet this noise.
Injector Pump Noise Reduction Cover GM Part # 12628069

The stock cover is a thin piece of black cardboard, while the new mod piece is much thicker; it looks like it is made of rubber or foam. This part costs less than $10.

Thanks to Crate Engine Depot for this information.

metroplex 07-13-2010 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by aterminatorz (Post 5095840)
I have an important update for everyone regarding the ticking noise coming from the fuel injector pump.

This noise can be reduced by 50%, GM actually makes a part that will quiet this noise.

The stock cover is a thin piece of black cardboard, while the new mod piece is much thicker; it looks like it is made of rubber or foam. This part costs less than $10.

This part has been OEM since 2009.5 SS/TC's. My SS/TC came with it from the factory.

Knightwolf 07-15-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank (Post 2658733)
2 FIXES AVAILABLE:
A) Turn Up The Radio
B) Buy An SC And Listen To the Sweet Sounds Of A Supercharger!

;)

3rd Fix: Cut off your muffler and install a catless downpipe! Let the tunes begin! lol

1RS1SS 09-01-2010 06:51 PM

I brought this up to my buddy over on the other cobalt site and he produced a TSB for me to take to the dealer. Got it installed under warranty.

DBlock 09-01-2010 07:11 PM

is there a need to buy that i mean it dont bother me at all but guess everyone is different

soundjunky 12-17-2010 05:37 PM

:wtf:

Originally Posted by suprare'09 (Post 4991317)
if you really did do searches & research before buying the car u should know what it is (the clicking i mean)...sticky right?!?!?!?;)

I take it you neglected to do your own research to see that this thread was started when the TC was brand freaking new ~ so there would have been none of this info available at the time.

(and yes, I know the post I replied to is several months old)
:cssNET:

sick_tight 01-13-2011 09:31 PM

My buddy makes the "man you have a bad valve knock going on!" and every time i have to remind him "dude its the direct injection" hahahaha
:lol:

Originally Posted by Audacity (Post 4992983)
You for got to mention the squeal, screech and grind as well. (From the rear disc brakes!)

TELL ME ABOUT IT, my rears are loud as hell. as well as GOUGED. :thumbsdow

bobbyhill31286 01-13-2011 09:39 PM

^^ my brakes have done this since it had 400 miles on it (about a week old), now is a month and 3 days old and has 1,500 miles on it and is driving me nuts!!!

ronn 01-13-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by bobbyhill31286 (Post 5496359)
^^ my brakes have done this since it had 400 miles on it (about a week old), now is a month and 3 days old and has 1,500 miles on it and is driving me nuts!!!

I'm having some rear grinding now with 18K mi..rears rotors don't look too bad...grooves, but not gouged. I'm gonna replace the pads and rotors in a week or so, as well as lube the pins. I found Thermoquiet Pads (you can get either ceramic or OEM organic..I got OEM) and Centric Premium Rotors....PLAIN. They're the same one's C1 Concepts use to drill and or slot. I really think it's the PADS and unlubed pins that are the root of the problem, but I would't rule out the rotors either. I got the pads for $38 shipped and the rotors for $111 Shipped. Cheap fix I would say. I wouldn't even bother to go to the dealer under warranty:thumbsdow. Just DIY and be done with it.

AARON-SS-TC 07-30-2011 10:26 PM

Mine sounds like it has a marble or pinball in it rolling around after i turn it off...very weird

MastaShaKe_88 07-30-2011 10:34 PM

Yea mine does that 2

AARON-SS-TC 07-30-2011 10:45 PM

Well, does anyone know what the hell it is then?

xodus 07-31-2011 04:57 PM

it does sound funny

MastaShaKe_88 07-31-2011 06:34 PM

im thinking its jus the fan an all the other lil shit turnin off an comin to a stop