08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Blower motor blown

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower motor blown

So its about 90 out today, so I fired up my AC. A couple minutes later I realized it wasn't working. I'm assuming its just the blower motor, but I haven't checked it yet. I'm kind of annoyed though, right after my bumper to bumper expires little things start breaking lol. First the evap purge solenoid, now this. At least they're both relatively cheap. I'm just hoping this isn't going to be a trend.

Anyways I was just curious to see if this is a common problem people have been seeing with their balts. I know blower motors are pretty common, just wondering what the occurences are like with our cars.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably the fuse, but it means the motor is drawing to much current, anyway. Good luck with it.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM

make sure you check the blower resistor and wiring to the resistor, those are very common on GM cars and truck these days........i would know cuz i've been replacing alot of them lately.....lol
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What they said ^^^^^

But also, the evap purge solenoid is an emissions device and is covered under the emissions warranty of I think 120,000 miles or 10 years? Something like that.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by slvrred-
make sure you check the blower resistor and wiring to the resistor, those are very common on GM cars and truck these days........i would know cuz i've been replacing alot of them lately.....lol
Yeah, ill check it, but typically with resistors you'll lose a couple higher speeds and then eventually everything. I'm just gonna order a motor from my shop, and when I disconnect the old one ill check the wiring to make sure powers getting there.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gremlin85
What they said ^^^^^

But also, the evap purge solenoid is an emissions device and is covered under the emissions warranty of I think 120,000 miles or 10 years? Something like that.
I checked my warranty book and could of sworn it fell under like 2yrs or 24k... some select emissions parts like the cats have longer warranties though, they're specifically marked in the manual though. Its alright though, I got it through my shop for $20.20
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that damn purge soleniod is garbage. dealer replaced 4 of them on my car and checked other things to see what is causing them to go out and no dice. they just keep telling me its a faulty soleniod....
Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM

So, turns out this is going to be a little more complicated than I originally expected.

I brought the car to my shop today and printed out a wiring diagram. It turns out on these newer cars all 4 speeds for the blower run through the resistor, so therefore what I said above about losing only certain speeds doesnt apply.

So, I ordered a resistor just in case. I got the resistor, and swapped it in to see if that was it, but no luck. So back to square one. I put the original resistor back in and checked power to the motor. The motor was getting no power. I had already checked all the fuses on the interior panel, and they were fine. I pulled the blower motor relay and checked the ports for power... there was none. This is when I realized that there was a fuse on the engine compartment fuse panel labeled "BCM 3" that controlled the HVAC system, supplying power to the relay.

I checked this body contol module fuse and sure enough it was blown. I replaced the fuse and tried the fan, but no luck. Checked the fuse and found out it had blown again immediately. So know Im thinking maybe the blower motor is bad and is drawing too much. I unplugged the blower motor connector and replaced the BCM3 fuse again. Now if the fused didnt blow that would mean the motor was the issue.... unfortunately the fuse blew again as soon as I turned the ignition on. So, the motor is NOT the issue, nor is the resistor. There has to be a short somewhere.

I called my dealer and spoke with the service manager. Im about a month out of my bumper-bumper warranty but he agreed to diagnose and repair it under warranty. He told me that although the warranty had run up, GM gives dealers the descretion to do warranty work on GM's dime for up to 10yrs or 100,000 miles for any "good" customers. GM allows this to develop a good customer base, and repeat business.

Anyways, Ill be bringing it in Monday morning when I get out of work. Stay tuned to find out what the hell is going on....
Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Dropped my car off this morning, and I just got a call from the dealer that its all set. The service writer said the tech found a "wire problem" behing the HVAC head unit. I'll get more details when I get there, but its what I figured. They were great though, they got it done quick and even did it under warranty even though my bumper-bumper ran out in June.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM

gm is on a big 'goodwill' kick these days, they'll fix cars up to ~15k ~1year outside warranty. up to the service writer or manager though. if you bough the car at the dealership that's doing the repairs or you were a saturn customer helps a lot.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by apathy
gm is on a big 'goodwill' kick these days, they'll fix cars up to ~15k ~1year outside warranty. up to the service writer or manager though. if you bough the car at the dealership that's doing the repairs or you were a saturn customer helps a lot.
The service manager at my local dealer told me that GM gives him the discretion to do warranty work on "GM's dime" as "goodwill" for customers he considers "good customers". He said they give him up to "10 years or 100,000miles" and it didnt matter if I was "1 month out of my warranty or 7 years" he still had the option to do the work on GM. Pretty good deal if you ask me
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM

So.... in the end, the wiring harness to the HVAC head unit had been rubbing a "dash bracket" and wore through one of the wires. This caused the wire to ground out to the bracket and short, repeatedly blowing the fuse.

HVAC now works... the end.