08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Coupe or sedan...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coupe or sedan...?

I know this question has been asked many times, and I've done plenty of research on both styles of the cobalt ss. I just don't know where to turn anymore though. If you guys have followed up on my recent posts you'll understand I currently do not own a cobalt but will be purchasing a 2008-2010 turbocharged model (price depending) after I get back from basic training and ait for the military. Look I know sedans are rare, yes I understand that. I know there are 474 registered produced (countless unregistered but I won't include them.). So please don't preach to me the rarity of the car. I'm young, only 17, so obviously I don't have kids. But I do have friends, and who knows I might end up with a kid and if I do its whatever. I can always tell the person to get in on the other side, and I could care less how much leg room is in the back simply because I don't plan on riding in the back anytime soon. I do like the styling of the coupe more as well, I do like the colored seats to match the exterior. And overall I like the looks of the coupe more. But is the styling really worth the convienence? I want you guys opinions and advice on this. Keep in mind... I'm young, but convienence is big to me. And please don't just say one is better, give me reasons or facts! Thanks guys!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
depends on who you are. alot of people wish they bought a sedan after purchasing the coupe. usually because their life situation changes and a coupe isn't as practical anymore.
some people love their coupe and would never drive the sedan.

personaly here are the reasons i chose the sedan over the coupe.

Rarity: you never see them often

Sleeper: most people don't even know they make turbo sedans and it suprises the crap out of them everytime when you beat them

Practicality: i have kids so the extra doors makes life easier

Insurance: although it's probably negligable, sedans are generally cheaper than coupes for insurance.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
depends on who you are. alot of people wish they bought a sedan after purchasing the coupe. usually because their life situation changes and a coupe isn't as practical anymore.
some people love their coupe and would never drive the sedan.

personaly here are the reasons i chose the sedan over the coupe.

Rarity: you never see them often

Sleeper: most people don't even know they make turbo sedans and it suprises the crap out of them everytime when you beat them

Practicality: i have kids so the extra doors makes life easier

Insurance: although it's probably negligable, sedans are generally cheaper than coupes for insurance.
I do love the sleeper factor of a 4-door, you really don't expect it. The rarity isn't a big deal to me, honestly I have never seen a turbocharged coupe or sedan yet. I don't have kids, but I do have friends so thats the other thing throwing me off. I think the 4-doors will be much easier, but that coupe is so damn sexy. Insurance I could care less, since I'm in the military full coverage for a coupe or sedan isn't much of a difference in pricing. Still like 2,400$ a year for full coverage on my own plan.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a whole lot to advise. They're the same car. Except 1 has 2 doors, and the other has 4. You have to decide what you want, and which fits your better. No one can answer that for you.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by cmatthewb101
Not a whole lot to advise. They're the same car. Except 1 has 2 doors, and the other has 4. You have to decide what you want, and which fits your better. No one can answer that for you.
I know they are the same car, and either one I'd be happy with... but I don't want to regret my decision after its been made.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:13 PM

well if you're looking for some attention the sedan will get you none... lol not very often someone will try and race you. in the coupe you will probably get civics trying to race you alot :P
Old 06-16-2012, 09:17 PM

well if you're looking for some attention the sedan will get you none... lol not very often someone will try and race you. in the coupe you will probably get civics trying to race you alot :P
Hehehe, I love ricers. Someone has to teach them a lesson!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Waka Flocka Fluff
Hehehe, I love ricers. Someone has to teach them a lesson!
then you'll probably want the coupe :P but i do see a fair number of people wishing they bought a sedan.. the high rise spoiler on the coupes attracts rice rockets
Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM

then you'll probably want the coupe :P but i do see a fair number of people wishing they bought a sedan.. the high rise spoiler on the coupes attracts rice rockets
I hate the high rise with all honesty, I think the low rise spoiler or no spoiler at all looks the cleanest. But thats what is getting me, I see alot of people regretting their decision on buying the coupe instead of the sedan... I don't want to be one of them.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 PM

it can be a hard decision sometimes... your next step would be to try and find a sedan for sale in your area!

goodluck!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 PM

it can be a hard decision sometimes... your next step would be to try and find a sedan for sale in your area!

goodluck!
be honest what do you think about your sedan? would you want the coupe more after having one tho?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 PM

i wish i had a sedan sometimes, the back seats in the coupe are pretty much useless.... then i see the rear of my moms 2.4l ss sedan and am glad i got the coupe, the rear of the sedans is ugly imo without the skirts on the rear
Old 06-16-2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by kzak104
i wish i had a sedan sometimes, the back seats in the coupe are pretty much useless.... then i see the rear of my moms 2.4l ss sedan and am glad i got the coupe, the rear of the sedans is ugly imo without the skirts on the rear
If i got the sedan id definitely put a body kit on it to change that, or maybe just a lip. But overall you can never beat a coupes styling. The convienence of the sedan though... is something all coupe owners envy.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 PM

If i got the sedan id definitely put a body kit on it to change that, or maybe just a lip. But overall you can never beat a coupes styling. The convienence of the sedan though... is something all coupe owners envy.
that is it

i dont even fit in my backseat without hitting my head on the back window. haha. i think you have to cut a portion of the rear lip out to fit on the sedan, im not 100% sure, thats just what i have heard.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 PM

that is it

i dont even fit in my backseat without hitting my head on the back window. haha. i think you have to cut a portion of the rear lip out to fit on the sedan, im not 100% sure, thats just what i have heard.
I don't envy that at all. I'm never in the back seat, why do I care?

And I never have more then 1 person in the car at a time anyways.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 PM

also the doors on the coupe are taaanks.

all in all im glad i got a coupe
Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
that is it

Ya. Have to cut both your bumper and the lip to make it fit on the sedan. It's a pain in the ass.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WAAAAAAAAAAAKA bow bow bow bow

im excited waka is getting into a cobalt instead of a ummm dodge charge ^_^

the sedan turbos are soo clean and a good sleeper

just gather all the info on here b4 modding, u want that thing to last when u do make your purchase

u will be happy with either
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by DSmastery
WAAAAAAAAAAAKA bow bow bow bow

im excited waka is getting into a cobalt instead of a ummm dodge charge ^_^

the sedan turbos are soo clean and a good sleeper

just gather all the info on here b4 modding, u want that thing to last when u do make your purchase

u will be happy with either
What spoiler is that on the back of your car? It's sexy (:
Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScreamingTurbo
What spoiler is that on the back of your car? It's sexy (:
the stock high rise, or the back window blocker
Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just get the coupe if you prefer the looks of that bodystyle and the colored interiors.

Coupe has better forward and side visibility
Coupe is easier for driver to get in and out of.

The sedan isnt more practical, its just got more doors. Ive got a 6yr old, and have had a Cobalt coupe since before he could walk, unless you need pick up your drunk friends and carry them into the house from the back seat on a regular basis then theres no real "reason" to get a sedan unless you prefer the looks. Which you dont.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 AM

Ive had a coupe, it was kind of a pita. When i was looking for my sedan, my intention was to look at a SS/TC coupe,and my sedan just got off the car hauler the day before. I yest drove the sedan and that was it, drove it home the next day. I dont have kids but it was the convenience factor.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:46 AM

I own the coupe, at first I also wanted a coupe because of the looks. I ended up with the sedan because of my son. I like the sleeper look and I get no attention from the cops and ricers. Sedans also look nice lowered, but if I was single with no kids I would go for the coupe
Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 AM

be honest what do you think about your sedan? would you want the coupe more after having one tho?
haha hell no.. to be honest i think the coupe looks like a car for a young kid (no offence to owners)
the sedan looks more mature IMO. i love having 4 doors. makes life easy, love the sleeper effect i get and i love seeing the look on peoples faces when you tell them it's turbo from the factory or after they lose to a 4 door cobalt
Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Get the sedan if you can, they're rarer, and have more doors lol there's this guy sellin his for like $14k in the classifieds, stock an in good shape

Quick Reply: Coupe or sedan...?