08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Coupe or sedan...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Maven
Just get the coupe if you prefer the looks of that bodystyle and the colored interiors.

Coupe has better forward and side visibility
Coupe is easier for driver to get in and out of.

The sedan isnt more practical, its just got more doors. Ive got a 6yr old, and have had a Cobalt coupe since before he could walk, unless you need pick up your drunk friends and carry them into the house from the back seat on a regular basis then theres no real "reason" to get a sedan unless you prefer the looks. Which you dont.
lol. the car is essentially the same only the coupe has blind spots on the rear quarters and rear window with that huge spoiler if you have a highrise. ya the side windows are a bit longer on the coupe but i don't find the pillar blocks my view that much. and putting a child into his babyseat while crawling over the front seats is a PITA. you have to bend funny to carry an infant out and practically throw your back out with the odd entry angle. More leg room means they're not kicking the seats as much. When you're trying to keep the car clean, having small children step on everything getting in and out sucks. stop stating opinion and not actual facts..sedan is alot more practical.. since the cars are pretty much the same. how is getting in and out of the coupe easier for the driver? you have to swing a big heavy door and you have to reach further to close it from the inside..

OP you do have to chop the rear lip to put it on the back.. but you get used to the back end.. i like it... sleeper effect!

Last edited by Cobalt_Daddy; 06-17-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
haha hell no.. to be honest i think the coupe looks like a car for a young kid (no offence to owners)
the sedan looks more mature IMO. i love having 4 doors. makes life easy, love the sleeper effect i get and i love seeing the look on peoples faces when you tell them it's turbo from the factory or after they lose to a 4 door cobalt
None taken, im 19 and have a coupe :P most people i see in coupe are younger.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
lol. the car is essentially the same only the coupe has blind spots on the rear quarters and rear window with that huge spoiler if you have a highrise.
Yup, slightly harder to see out the back on a coupe...no denying that.

ya the side windows are a bit longer on the coupe but i don't find the pillar blocks my view that much.
They are more than a "bit" longer....and if the pillar doesnt block your view then your short.

and putting a child into his babyseat while crawling over the front seats is a PITA. you have to bend funny to carry an infant out and practically throw your back out with the odd entry angle.
I dont know exactly how you put your child in the back, but I sure as **** dont crawl over the seat....I just push it all the way forward and lean in behind. Worst case scenario I have to put a knee down on the rear floor buckle him in. And since youre short enough for the pillar not block your side vision I find it hard to believe you have a worse time getting in the back than I do. (PS: I'm 6'3" 259lbs....)

When you're trying to keep the car clean, having small children step on everything getting in and out sucks.
stop stating opinion and not actual facts..sedan is alot more practical..
WTF are you talking about? Dont let your kids walk on the seats and they wont get dirty

since the cars are pretty much the same. how is getting in and out of the coupe easier for the driver? you have to swing a big heavy door and you have to reach further to close it from the inside..
Sure they are pretty much the same......except the Coupe has a significantly bigger door opening so how is it NOT easier to get in and out? Door is on hinges, its not like its "heavy" to open or close I reach the door from my seat when its open full width.

These are my opinions and fact.

Lets not forget that this is for the OP who is 17 and didnt state he had kids, and admitted he liked coupes better. Why on earth would you even consider the sedan then?

I like Cobalts better but I think Ill buy a Focus SVT because they are rare. Just stupid.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:08 AM

Yup, slightly harder to see out the back on a coupe...no denying that.

They are more than a "bit" longer....and if the pillar doesnt block your view then your short.

I dont know exactly how you put your child in the back, but I sure as **** dont crawl over the seat....I just push it all the way forward and lean in behind. Worst case scenario I have to put a knee down on the rear floor buckle him in. And since youre short enough for the pillar not block your side vision I find it hard to believe you have a worse time getting in the back than I do. (PS: I'm 6'3" 259lbs....)

WTF are you talking about? Dont let your kids walk on the seats and they wont get dirty

Sure they are pretty much the same......except the Coupe has a significantly bigger door opening so how is it NOT easier to get in and out? Door is on hinges, its not like its "heavy" to open or close I reach the door from my seat when its open full width.

These are my opinions and fact.

Lets not forget that this is for the OP who is 17 and didnt state he had kids, and admitted he liked coupes better. Why on earth would you even consider the sedan then?

I like Cobalts better but I think Ill buy a Focus SVT because they are rare. Just stupid.

haha i'm 6'3" as well. the pillar does not block my view.

don't let your kids walk on the seats? lol if you have kids you of all people should understand that when they are getting out they stand wherever it is easiest .. sometimes it's the rear cupholders... sometimes it's the seat etc. .. you can't just make a kid not pick the easiest way for him to step.. the door is heavier that's a fact... regardless of whether or not it's easier to move on the hinges it weights more. and i know for a fact you have to reach further to close it from the drivers seat because i've sat in both..
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Banned

Sedan, Then you can mess with all the Honda's

Last edited by BlueStang; 06-18-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Both look good. I love seeing sedans lowered on coils with a roof rack though. Looks tight.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if you're looking for some attention the sedan will get you none... lol not very often someone will try and race you. in the coupe you will probably get civics trying to race you alot :P
yes lol

haha hell no.. to be honest i think the coupe looks like a car for a young kid (no offence to owners)
the sedan looks more mature IMO. i love having 4 doors. makes life easy, love the sleeper effect i get and i love seeing the look on peoples faces when you tell them it's turbo from the factory or after they lose to a 4 door cobalt
I agree lol.

I have the coupe and I bought it for 2 reasons:

1. I could only find 1 sedan when I was looking and it was very overpriced
2. the coupe is very slightly lighter - less than 60 lbs - and I don't need 4 doors, just wanted it for the sleeper looks and rarity.

and I agree that the long door on the coupe can be an inconvenience. I like that it pushes the pillar further so you have better visibility on the side and it makes getting in/out of the back a lot easier than it would have been with a shorter door but most people don't know how much it swings out when you open it and they park too close to you so you have to basically slide in sideways. not a big deal but it bugs me when I'm in a hurry or carrying stuff

Last edited by theamericanautos; 06-18-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
well if you're looking for some attention the sedan will get you none... lol not very often someone will try and race you. in the coupe you will probably get civics trying to race you alot :P
Speak for your self! I get lifted trucks and soccer moms constantly trying to race me! Actually Im pretty sure they just trying to cut me off cause they know they can outrun a cobalt before the lane changes from 2 to 1. lol..

I've been given the middle finger many of times but not once have I slammed a middle finger back at them.

Pisses me off when people do that ****. But yeah I really do always get challenge by friggen F150s, F250s, Ram 1500s... always lifted with huge tires and 5 inch exhausts of some kind with smoke tunes.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by cmatthewb101
Not a whole lot to advise. They're the same car. Except 1 has 2 doors, and the other has 4. You have to decide what you want, and which fits your better. No one can answer that for you.
truth! idk what else there is to say, check out both in person and test drive each? then make decision and have fun

The sedan isnt more practical, its just got more doors. Ive got a 6yr old, and have had a Cobalt coupe since before he could walk, unless you need pick up your drunk friends and carry them into the house from the back seat on a regular basis then theres no real "reason" to get a sedan unless you prefer the looks. Which you dont.
well said
Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
haha i'm 6'3" as well. the pillar does not block my view.

don't let your kids walk on the seats? lol if you have kids you of all people should understand that when they are getting out they stand wherever it is easiest .. sometimes it's the rear cupholders... sometimes it's the seat etc. .. you can't just make a kid not pick the easiest way for him to step.. the door is heavier that's a fact... regardless of whether or not it's easier to move on the hinges it weights more. and i know for a fact you have to reach further to close it from the drivers seat because i've sat in both..
We have very different driving positions or leg/torso proportions then, pillar is like on my temple in a sedan

Yes he does like to put his feet in the rear cupholders, but sedan or coupe wouldnt change that. Hes just a little punk.

Yeah its heavier, but its not like its seriously more laborious to open/close to the point where it would ever affect my opinion of the car. How far the door handle is to reach isnt based on how long the door is overall, only how far the handle is from the front pivot....time to take some measurements And regardless, a bigger door opening still makes easier ingress/egress
Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM

We have very different driving positions or leg/torso proportions then, pillar is like on my temple in a sedan

Yes he does like to put his feet in the rear cupholders, but sedan or coupe wouldnt change that. Hes just a little punk.

Yeah its heavier, but its not like its seriously more laborious to open/close to the point where it would ever affect my opinion of the car. How far the door handle is to reach isnt based on how long the door is overall, only how far the handle is from the front pivot....time to take some measurements And regardless, a bigger door opening still makes easier ingress/egress
haha i agree!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Decided to get a sedan. Had it for 7 months already and I love it! Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
lol. Good for you. Its fun having the sedan
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
lol. Good for you. Its fun having the sedan
I love it. So nice not having to get out every second.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:49 PM

I bought a coupe not knowing about the TC sedans, i now regret it and wish i got a sedan almost everytime someone tries to get into the back of my car.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle09TC
I bought a coupe not knowing about the TC sedans, i now regret it and wish i got a sedan almost everytime someone tries to get into the back of my car.
The trick is make them get in the other side xD
Old 06-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Waka Flocka Fluff
This- it's an unwritten rule really that people getting in the back go through the passenger door.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Congrats on the purchase and goodluck with the build.

True story always through the passanger door to the back.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
An older fart pulled out and tried to cut in front of me in my lowly cobalt fully knowing the right lane ends approaching a long sweeping merging ramp the other day. I took the on ramp and have to wait for him to catch up and give him a good stared..
Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 AM
village idiot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Waka Flocka Fluff
This. My seat on my coupe does not go forward.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Hey guys, Im new here as of today however I am in OP's boat. 23yo, not married, no kids, and looking for a fast fun practical car I started looking at the cobalt SS/TC mainly because I got a decent job right after college and could afford them. I test drove both sedan and coupe. Coming from a honda prelude to my current camaro z28 I was originally attracted to the coupe.

I began looking on autotrader and found a sedan within reasonable driving distance and a coupe near it. Went and test drove both and can honestly say I liked the sedan way more.
I dont know why but when I took off in the coupe I felt tunnel vision kick in almost instantly. Felt like there were a bunch of blind spots. I also didnt like the slide in effect of the 2 door entry. With my camaro (im 6'1") i have to throw a leg in and fall into the seat and had to do the same with the coupe. The sedan i could actually get into with no problems which chased away my fear of lowering the car.

Just signed the papers this week and im going to pick up the sedan saturday
I joined the site today because of this.

Sorry if I did something wrong. (also first post)
Old 06-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by casionerd
This. My seat on my coupe does not go forward.
agreed and i to stand by this
Old 06-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by crashher0
Hey guys, Im new here as of today however I am in OP's boat. 23yo, not married, no kids, and looking for a fast fun practical car I started looking at the cobalt SS/TC mainly because I got a decent job right after college and could afford them. I test drove both sedan and coupe. Coming from a honda prelude to my current camaro z28 I was originally attracted to the coupe.

I began looking on autotrader and found a sedan within reasonable driving distance and a coupe near it. Went and test drove both and can honestly say I liked the sedan way more.
I dont know why but when I took off in the coupe I felt tunnel vision kick in almost instantly. Felt like there were a bunch of blind spots. I also didnt like the slide in effect of the 2 door entry. With my camaro (im 6'1") i have to throw a leg in and fall into the seat and had to do the same with the coupe. The sedan i could actually get into with no problems which chased away my fear of lowering the car.

Just signed the papers this week and im going to pick up the sedan saturday
I joined the site today because of this.

Sorry if I did something wrong. (also first post)
Welcome to the family! Glad to see you went with the sedan. I'm glad I did. Had to get mine shipped 600 miles. But you better believe I was excited when I received it. Couldn't be any happier!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:05 PM

I bought my Sedan for many of the same reasons all the other guys bought theirs. I love it! I always felt getting in and out of the coupes to be a pain especially when parked next to other cars. I noticed the Sedans have a better door opening angle for getting in an out of just because the door is shorter. At the time when I bought it I needed a car and I could never have afforded one of these cars Coupe or Sedan at 25k sticker. I got lucky when I found a dealer selling my Sedan for almost 10k cheaper and I had to have it! I don't have kids yet and was not married yet when I bought it but thought about future practicality and this car fit. I have noticed 4 door sports cars have been becoming very popular the past years. Regal GS I would love to have! I personally enjoy ripping the pants off all the ricers. Like Cuda Joe I think also mentioned, I get people challenging me all the time few days ago had an EVO and a Volvo wanting to go at it first thing in the morning! I have no regrets with this car. If I can get some money to throw at it I have somethings I would like to get done to it.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by FearOfSilence
was not married yet when I bought it but thought about future practicality and this car fit.
When I told my girlfriend I was looking at these cars she hounded me about why I wanted a 2 door and how it wouldn't be practical. I told her this was the last fun car I would probably ever own. She then said if so then you will have it when we get married... kind of got me thinking what if I do get married while I own this car... Im gonna want a dog, maybe a kid. I plan to drive this car till it dies so I will definitely have it then. The second doors started to into play. I hated the look of the sedans when I first started looking though now I like it!

So i went with the sedan, Thanks Waka, Im excited to get started on it. I have all kinds of ideas for it.

Quick Reply: Coupe or sedan...?