08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Help ! 2009 cobalt ss issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help ! 2009 cobalt ss issues

Ok so I have a 09 cobalt ss Bought the car knowing the turbo was going out . So the turbo went out on the car and I paid a guy to install a new stock turbo so the turbo install got finished and started the car up and now I have a missfire in cylinder 4 codes for cam sensors , car runs like crap , changed the spark plugs it didn’t fix the issues made sure the coil packs were all good . Even went as far as checking compression and it came back nearly perfect.
So I bought a new camsensor put in the car started it and codes cam back for cam sensors .
My question is when this guy installed the turbo he didn’t disconnect the battery is it possible he messed my alternator up and that’s what cause my fried sensors . Cause when I put the new cam sensor in it showed it was bad
Old 07-16-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you started 2 threads on the same site, not sure why. which should I answer?
Anyway, you have multiple circuit faults, to me that points to some failure mode that affected all those sensors at once, I find it unlikely 4 sensors fails at the same time.
i would start with checking the wiring harness, was it pinched or cut when youreplaced the turbo? Is a harness connector not seated properly? Disconnect connectors, check for corrosion, reconnect. Check the connector to the ECM, are all those 4 sensors near each other on the ECM pins?
Next id have to consider that either the ground wire was damaged somewhere or maybe the 5v supply inside the ECM was somehow damaged. Find yourself a good multimeter and make sure the sensors get 5v and ground when the ignition is in "run" but engine not running.
i think the problem is in the harness, cheap to fix, then i would question the integrity of the ECM, the alternator would be the last thing I'd consider , honestly I don't know how the alternator would cause this problem, not sure how you came to that conclusion .

Was the engine opened during this turbo install, did u change the timing chain and mess up the timing? Did u plug the cam sensors in backwards, I don't know if they are keyed.

Let me know if what I wrote doesn't make sense.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Closed due to multiple threads