08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Help with a couple issues please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with a couple issues please.

ssnetpic.jpgFirst off I broke this piece off today because it was so cold. I have no idea what it is called and i cant seem to find any upper charge pipe kit that includes this piece in the attached photo. Also its been lower then 20 degrees Farenheight the past couples of days. I was driving my cobalt to work and i was cruising in 5th gear down the highway. I gave it some throttle and it pulled hard. I noticed this was off considering im on the stock tune and my boost is set to 15. I turned my rpd over to boost. I pulled again and it spiked to 25lbs with no problem. I almost couldnt believe it so i did it again just to see if it was just a fluke but then i lost all boost as if my charge pipes disconnected and i couldnt gain more than like 1 lb of boost. I went home jacked it up and checked all the connections. Everything was fine so i took it for a spin and it built boost normally. Then today i tried it again on my way to work and it spiked to 25lbs again and blew off my upper charge pipe. I reconnected my charge pipe but this piece broke and now i need to get another so my pipe doesnt dent my hood up. My question is are there any suggestions as to what has been happening? Thanks guys. Oh and i searched the thread regarding these issues but its hard to search for something that you do not know what it is.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
It's fine without that piece, it will just wobble and move around. It's your clamps, get some new ones and tighten it till nobody can tighten them anymore!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sl0wbaltSS
It's fine without that piece, it will just wobble and move around. It's your clamps, get some new ones and tighten it till nobody can tighten them anymore!
I have t clamps but its so cold im afraid to tighten them lol. i already broke a jack. Ive broken some of my hand tools. I think i need longer couplings. I dont think the injen ones get enough of a bite.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put hairspray on the pipes before you slide the couplers on. Then just clamp it down nice and tight. It will hold.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
Put hairspray on the pipes before you slide the couplers on. Then just clamp it down nice and tight. It will hold.
Thank you for the input. I will do that once it warms up.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
A few thing here, first aluminum doesn't break because it's cold, it broke cause it weld was probably bad. 2, I think it's time we make a sticky on how to check for boost leaks, gotta get it in people's heads that looking at the connections or even feeling checking if they are tight, WILL NOT tell u if u have a boost leak or not. I have personally tightened the absolute crap out of a tbolt and still had it leak because the tbolt was not straight. Op get urself a boost leak tester if u want to test for leaks properly. And if u really want a pipe that bolted down, I'd be scared of it hitting the hood as well , get a zzp upper pipe, it goes around the engine instead of over and also bolts down. Also looks better.