08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Here's An Idea To Cool Your Engine Bay.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Here's An Idea To Cool Your Engine Bay.

The result is good imo. My intake is cool to the touch in 50s f. However if you let it heat soaked/parked for an extended time, it will get warm not hot though.
With the leaf blower test, there is draft exiting the back of the hood with the weather strip removed and the front strip removed as well. I have a back up brackets to keep the water out in heavy rain if needed.
One can make the deflector smaller to give it that discrete look but I wanted the max amount of flow I can get thus sacrifice the look a little.

Last edited by blrt; 10-14-2019 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DeanSsspsh (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
In my Audi A4 1.8T there were vent gills in the passenger wheel liner which was behind the side mounted intercooler. Supposedly, the low pressure in the well gives air crammed in the front a place to go. I cooled my BMW a good 5 degrees on the track with a small hood vent directly over the opening behind the radiator. There's more to get with a bigger vent still. The point is that a lot of cooling can be accomplished by just letting air vent from under the hood. I bet taking the rear seal off the hood helps you more.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
Did you know your front bow tie is backwards?
The following users liked this post:
Tristen Woodley (03-29-2020)
Old 10-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Is the idea to direct air to bypass the h/e, radiator, and AC condenser and instead flow straight into the engine bay? If so, what is your ultimate goal with cooling the engine bay air temp?

I ask because if your deflector actually works it is going to reduce airflow through your h/e, radiator, and AC condenser. Removing the rear weather strip may also have the opposite effect of what you'd think. On most cars the air flowing into the windshield actually causes a high pressure area at the cowl. Appears you like experimenting so it would be interesting for you to rig up some streamers to verify what actually is happening like this guy.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Is the idea to direct air to bypass the h/e, radiator, and AC condenser and instead flow straight into the engine bay? If so, what is your ultimate goal with cooling the engine bay air temp?

I ask because if your deflector actually works it is going to reduce airflow through your h/e, radiator, and AC condenser. Removing the rear weather strip may also have the opposite effect of what you'd think. On most cars the air flowing into the windshield actually causes a high pressure area at the cowl. Appears you like experimenting so it would be interesting for you to rig up some streamers to verify what actually is happening like this guy.

https://youtu.be/ir

VDERE7CtU
This.
Removing the weather stripping has been proven to disrupt under hood air flow and hurt coolant temps. Taking away air from cooling the radiator further hurts coolant temps. I have two carefully placed vents in my hood and it makes a huge difference. They allow more air to flow through the radiator and out the vents. Reducing under hood temps doesn't make much sense if your coolant temp rises as a result...
Did you do any actual measurements?

Old 10-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Something like this could be used to 3D map temperature in different areas of the engine bay before and after the air flow modifications.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
One thing is for sure is the intake manifold is cooler. Ideal option is to have some hood vents but for a stock hood this maybe the only option? Flow is for sure disrupted with the rear rubber strip removed as shown in that video and what some of you had pointed out and previously commented from John Powell. However he had said the two edges of the back of the hood will create the reverse effect. Perhaps those are the two areas where I will remove the rear strip.
Anyone know the cost of a new rubber strip? Expensive?
Btw the reflectors are not. blocking/restricting flow to the condenser/radiator. I make sure of that. Cooling temp is not an issue and I do have a custom air deflector to the condenser at the bottom of the front lip which work much better then the stock plastic piece.
The reverse bowtie is perfect if you look from the rear view mirror lol. Just being different. I will make a permanent one in the near future.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by blrt
One thing is for sure is the intake manifold is cooler. Ideal option is to have some hood vents but for a stock hood this maybe the only option? Flow is for sure disrupted with the rear rubber strip removed as shown in that video and what some of you had pointed out and previously commented from John Powell. However he had said the two edges of the back of the hood will create the reverse effect. Perhaps those are the two areas where I will remove the rear strip.
Anyone know the cost of a new rubber strip? Expensive?
Btw the reflectors are not. blocking/restricting flow to the condenser/radiator. I make sure of that. Cooling temp is not an issue and I do have a custom air deflector to the condenser at the bottom of the front lip which work much better then the stock plastic piece.
The reverse bowtie is perfect if you look from the rear view mirror lol. Just being different. I will make a permanent one in the near future.
I put these same vents in my stock hood before I got this carbon one so it can be done. Just dremeled out the openings and I used the vents off a Pontiac Grand Prix - full thread here: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/auto...9/#post7679431

As for that rubber strip, just pick one up at your local junk yard. I'm sure they're expensive if you buy a new OEM one...