08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Im new here and need some info please,

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im new here and need some info please,

Ive been lurking a while and have decided ive narrowed my car interest down to 3 cars. 1) 2010 Camaro SS 2) Cobalt SS and 3) Pontiac G8 GT but im deff. gonna wait till Feb. so i can use my tax money for down payment.

Ive allways been a fan of the Camaro and have owned several, but never a Cobalt/cav or G8 and out of the 3 i love the Camaro the most but beleave i would have more fun in the Cobalt SS. Ive also read on here the other day were some one else is looking at the same cars of nterest as me. (if hes still on here go to www.camaro5.com for great info and help on the new Camaro). That being said i would love yalls feedback to how the Cobalt stacks up into comparisson to cars youve owned. I love how the Cobalt can do 0-60 in 5.7 and handle like a vette. I use to own a 91 Mazda Mx6 GT turbo and i beleave that was the most fun ive had in a small car package. Plus i think in the long run there will be more Camaros than Cobalt SS's and i love having a vehicle that you dont see everyday and your neighbor doesnt have.

Please money is not the issue unless the Camaro ends up being 6,000 more than projected, and ive herd it before get the Camaro. But knowing more about the cobalt will help me.

Also does anyone live on a dirt road that has a Colbat that can give me insight on how well the car travels on it and long dirt road test, because i live on a mile long dirt road that isnt state maintaned and cost kills me on gravel so its not the best rd if you catch my drift, Thanks for everyones help.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 65bus
Ive been lurking a while and have decided ive narrowed my car interest down to 3 cars. 1) 2010 Camaro SS 2) Cobalt SS and 3) Pontiac G8 GT but im deff. gonna wait till Feb. so i can use my tax money for down payment.

Ive allways been a fan of the Camaro and have owned several, but never a Cobalt/cav or G8 and out of the 3 i love the Camaro the most but beleave i would have more fun in the Cobalt SS. Ive also read on here the other day were some one else is looking at the same cars of nterest as me. (if hes still on here go to www.camaro5.com for great info and help on the new Camaro). That being said i would love yalls feedback to how the Cobalt stacks up into comparisson to cars youve owned. I love how the Cobalt can do 0-60 in 5.7 and handle like a vette. I use to own a 91 Mazda Mx6 GT turbo and i beleave that was the most fun ive had in a small car package. Plus i think in the long run there will be more Camaros than Cobalt SS's and i love having a vehicle that you dont see everyday and your neighbor doesnt have.

Please money is not the issue unless the Camaro ends up being 6,000 more than projected, and ive herd it before get the Camaro. But knowing more about the cobalt will help me.

Also does anyone live on a dirt road that has a Colbat that can give me insight on how well the car travels on it and long dirt road test, because i live on a mile long dirt road that isnt state maintaned and cost kills me on gravel so its not the best rd if you catch my drift, Thanks for everyones help.

good luck, im sure you'll love either. just know that there's no tuning available for the new cobalt and im gonna throw out a guess and say that it will be easier to mod a camero or new v8 pontiac in the beginning.

on your dirt road thing... the car is great, but I'd highly recommend getting some mud flaps that are removable for the front and rear tires otherwise you'll get rock chips!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:02 PM

this is my take on it. the after market for the cobalt is going to be bigger by the time the camaro comes out but dont doubt it for a second that it wont reverse.
camaro rwd> cobalt fwd
camaro handling < cobalt handling
camaro long term modability> cobalt long term modability

id say if your looking for a sporty DD that has some ***** and can do well in the twisties then the cobalt is for you

if your looking for a highly modified street machine without the hassle of 75% custom parts then the camaro is the way to go.

IMO the camaro looks cooler too, however ive gotten lots of stares in my cobalt ss/sc
Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

They are really 2 different machine... Camaro and Cobalt. It isn't accurate to just compare them on a few set of factors/variables. Like moddability ( yes moddability)

The Camaro, on top of being RWD, is going to weigh close to prolly 2 Cobalts. Its going to be a heavy machine. And make sure you really take a look at the new Camaro. I think it is uglier then ****. If you are not particular to Chevrolet. In my High Opinion, I think that new Dodge Challenger is one of the most badass looking cars I have ever seen. Ford did a GREAT job ( I hate ford) with the newest generation of Mustangs and the whole "retro-future" styling. I think the new Challengers blow the stangs outta the water in looks and performance.

GOT A HEMI?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:37 PM

That being said i would love yalls feedback to how the Cobalt stacks up into comparisson to cars youve owned. I love how the Cobalt can do 0-60 in 5.7 and handle like a vette. I use to own a 91 Mazda Mx6 GT turbo and i beleave that was the most fun ive had in a small car package.
I really wasnt trying to get a comparrison of the two, more of a comparrison of the cars youve previously owned vrs the Cobalt SS

Originally Posted by FiscalFizz
They are really 2 different machine... Camaro and Cobalt. It isn't accurate to just compare them on a few set of factors/variables. Like moddability ( yes moddability)

The Camaro, on top of being RWD, is going to weigh close to prolly 2 Cobalts. Its going to be a heavy machine. And make sure you really take a look at the new Camaro. I think it is uglier then ****. If you are not particular to Chevrolet. In my High Opinion, I think that new Dodge Challenger is one of the most badass looking cars I have ever seen. Ford did a GREAT job ( I hate ford) with the newest generation of Mustangs and the whole "retro-future" styling. I think the new Challengers blow the stangs outta the water in looks and performance.

GOT A HEMI?
I love the new Challenger but $$vrsHP just isnt in my count of good deal. And ive allways owned Camaros. And i also dont like Ford but agree with you on the Mustang, (Challenger being the better) but the new Camaro is more modern with vintage styling cues and i think theyve done a great job. I just feel like i might regret getting the Camaro without learing more about the Cobalt short and long term ownership reliability,

Last edited by 65bus; 08-03-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: reliability not values Sorry,
Old 08-03-2008, 08:19 PM

GOT A HEMI?
For realz?? And you say that like RWD is a bad thing..... must not have owned a RWD car yet. RWD>FWD any day of the week. Also, the camaro SS with the LS3 6 speed manual weighs in at a little over 3800 lbs. That's only 1000lbs more than the SS/TC and has 160 more hp. 2800x2=....hmm, 5600. 5600 does not equal 3800 lol.

Also, the new challenger srt8 is nice, except for the fact that it weighs 4100lbs, only comes in an auto so far, and runs high 13's. Wow, seriously? It looks nice, but that's a waste of a ****** car. The mustang GT runs low 13's (these are all stock also) and doesn't cost $40k (unless you want a special edition like a Shelby GT, Saleen, GT500, or any other aftermarket/speciality stangs). Those "hemi's" are powerful, although when you stick them in a 2 ton+ sled, it becomes an invalid point.

Anyway, on to the actual question. The cobalt ss/tc is a great car, fun if you want a "peppy" car that handles quite well. It's right around $20k and gets great gas mileage. The Camaro SS is amazing, can't wait for them to come out. Sadly if I wasn't in school I would be upping the ante and shelling out the extra cash for one when they come out but since I don't have the money, SS/TC is the obvious choice for me. Then comes the G8......also a great car! Although, if I were to buy a G8 and these options were also on the table....I'd hold out till next year for the G8 GXP. Getting the LS3 treatment, comes in the 6 speed manual (as the G8 GT only gets an auto, wtf??), and has nice looks on top of all that.

Edit - oh yeah, and 65bus, if you're worried about short and long term ownership values on a cobalt? I'd say you have nothing to worry about......because they're not going to act like a 69 camaro and keep rising lol. It is still a cobalt so it won't be worth a whole lot after awhile. Great cars but people can't get the past the point that it's still a cobalt and market value will respond in the same manner.

Last edited by titaniumss; 08-03-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by titaniumss
I'd hold out till next year for the G8 GXP. Getting the LS3 treatment, comes in the 6 speed manual (as the G8 GT only gets an auto, wtf??), and has nice looks on top of all that.

Edit - oh yeah, and 65bus, if you're worried about short and long term ownership values on a cobalt? I'd say you have nothing to worry about......because they're not going to act like a 69 camaro and keep rising lol. It is still a cobalt so it won't be worth a whole lot after awhile. Great cars but people can't get the past the point that it's still a cobalt and market value will respond in the same manner.
The problem with the GXP is it will have a 35,000-36,0000 starting price thats about 3,000 more than im looking to pay (monthly payments), love the car though but the GT would be allright with me even though you cant get a std.

And again im sorry for the confusion but i meant short and long term reliability

again sorry for the confusion and thanks for everyones help,
Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 PM

If it's only $3k difference then I'm sure someone could give you their code to use a GM employee pricing and knock off that amount. I may be able to help. My grandfather retired from GM so that's how I get mine.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 PM

If it's only $3k difference then I'm sure someone could give you their code to use a GM employee pricing and knock off that amount. I may be able to help. My grandfather retired from GM so that's how I get mine.
Man that would be sweet, my brother use to work at a local Chevy dealer and could use it but he has sence went to other jobs. But could you use someone elses code and get away with it?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:36 PM

It's for family. I heard they are extending it to friends till mid August or something right now. They might do the same sometime around when you're wanting to buy. Plus it's not like they have to know you're not related lol they're still selling a car.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Banned

Man that would be sweet, my brother use to work at a local Chevy dealer and could use it but he has sence went to other jobs. But could you use someone elses code and get away with it?
ughhh.. I am not 100% sure, but I believe they asked for the last 4 digits of my Father's Social Security Number when he filled out the paper work or spot on the paperwork for the GMS pricing ( Hes GM worker). So... I don't think its as easy as trading the employees number to someone else.

By the way.. what your suggesting, would also be a form of fraud, which would be a felony if ever charged.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 AM

First the 08-09 balt SS is under rated, it does 0-60 more like 5.4-5.5 sec the new Z28 SS just ran Nurburgring in 8:20 so it's no quicker than the balt, the Z28 SS will be very heavy (4000+ lbs) and is slower than my 2006 Stock GTO 6-spd. Same for the new Challenger, not as fast as stated and 4300 lbs, all this weight = bad gas mileage. These big cars will not sell well 1 year after they come out due to poor mpgs. The G8 GT is just a holden version of what is really the new pontiac grand prix. The cobalt SS will beat those V8 G8 Gt's in every catagory except comfort. My 2006 GTO ( Holden had tons of issues). The new camaro is based on australian cars too.

Give the New Balt SS some lowering springs, better\stickier tires and 50 more hp and you'll see high 7:55's on the nurburgring, I just talked to a friend that lives in Germany, he purchased the new SS and did just that. Record posting soon.

Every car will have its share of problems!! that's a fact. If you think that you can buy the perfect car with no problems you're dreaming.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 AM

ughhh.. I am not 100% sure, but I believe they asked for the last 4 digits of my Father's Social Security Number when he filled out the paper work or spot on the paperwork for the GMS pricing ( Hes GM worker). So... I don't think its as easy as trading the employees number to someone else.

By the way.. what your suggesting, would also be a form of fraud, which would be a felony if ever charged.
Reading isn't a strong point, is it lol they, meaning GM, has extended GM employee pricing to friends right now. They could do that again at the time of his purchase so it would be fine. Chill out man.

Originally Posted by SportredSS
First the 08-09 balt SS is under rated, it does 0-60 more like 5.4-5.5 sec the new Z28 SS just ran Nurburgring in 8:20 so it's no quicker than the balt, the Z28 SS will be very heavy (4000+ lbs) and is slower than my 2006 Stock GTO 6-spd. Same for the new Challenger, not as fast as stated and 4300 lbs, all this weight = bad gas mileage. These big cars will not sell well 1 year after they come out due to poor mpgs. The G8 GT is just a holden version of what is really the new pontiac grand prix. The cobalt SS will beat those V8 G8 Gt's in every catagory except comfort. My 2006 GTO ( Holden had tons of issues). The new camaro is based on australian cars too.

Give the New Balt SS some lowering springs, better\stickier tires and 50 more hp and you'll see high 7:55's on the nurburgring, I just talked to a friend that lives in Germany, he purchased the new SS and did just that. Record posting soon.

Every car will have its share of problems!! that's a fact. If you think that you can buy the perfect car with no problems you're dreaming.
Good God. This thread is full of crap!

First of all, get your facts straight before you go saying BS figures. The Camaro SS (not Z28 SS) weighs in at 3860 lbs with the LS3 6 speed manual option (which is I believe the Tremec T6060 transmission), then the L99 6 speed automatic option weighs in at a little over 3900 lbs. That IS NOT OVER 4000 LBS.

The 'ring times are great except for the fact THE CAMARO IS A STRAIGHT LINE PERFORMER. The Cobalt SS/TC was designed to be an all around track performer, while the camaro has and always will be, mainly intended for a drag strip and not a road course or auto-x. The camaro will decimate the ss/tc in a straight line. If you think any differently then you're a moron. Stop flooding this thread with misinformation.

Last edited by titaniumss; 08-04-2008 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

Reading isn't a strong point, is it lol they, meaning GM, has extended GM employee pricing to friends right now. They could do that again at the time of his purchase so it would be fine. Chill out man.

I am chill.

Fact check your info before you respond to me in an arrogant manner please

Here is the fun part for me now, I get to tell you this: The Family and Friends GMS pricing event actually ended August 1st. I guess you didn't know that though? I did.

I am literate and can read just find.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:51 PM

lol was just sick of some of the misinfo construed about the cars in the thread. Thought I had read it was extended to mid august (I wanna say the 16th), and had not ended on the 1st. Still doesn't mean it won't happen again around the time of his purchase.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 PM

LMAO yall are just as crazy as everyone one on Camaro5.com i love being able to talk to everyone and get everyones oppinion's. He did say it might be ava again but wasnt sure. If we werent all like this life would be boring.

The Camaro was said to do a time of 0-60 in 4.6 secs, .92g and average 24mpg and the g8 gt does 0-60 in 5.3 and est. the GXP to do it in 4.7

Originally Posted by SportredSS
First the 08-09 balt SS is under rated, it does 0-60 more like 5.4-5.5 sec
and if you go to Caranddriver.com look at the spec sheet on the Cobalt SS it is under rated C&D shows 0-60 in 5.5 and .92g and top speed i beleave was 162 thats one reason why the Cobalt SS is on my list of cars,
Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 PM

What can I say, I troll my way around that board as a guest though lol I'm a muscle car guy at heart and love my V8's (specifically f bodies) but I'm thinking gas mileage right now since the bank account isn't deep enough to consider the new camaro ss.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 PM

What can I say, I troll my way around that board as a guest though lol I'm a muscle car guy at heart and love my V8's (specifically f bodies) but I'm thinking gas mileage right now since the bank account isn't deep enough to consider the new camaro ss.
You and me both man, cant stay away from muscle. I love my 72 Chevy
Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM

I always go to our local car shows so I can snap pics of the old muscle cars and trucks. Can't get enough of it! Someday for me, but not for a little while.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 AM

i had a 2000 camaro ss convertible and a 2004 gto...my ss/tc is almost as fast as both, handles better, and is just as fun to drive imo...
Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Razmus
i had a 2000 camaro ss convertible and a 2004 gto...my ss/tc is almost as fast as both, handles better, and is just as fun to drive imo...
That was your problem. Damn verts lol just kidding. Was the camaro modded at all? I know mine had the LS6 intake and z06 clutch (differences from the 98-00). Other than that, a lot more things lol.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 PM

I have my eyes set on a 2011 convertible Camaro SS. That car is absolutely the most beautiful thing chevy has come out with since the late 60's. The design work put into it and the time taken was well worth every second. The aftermarket parts you can buy straight thru GMPP are gonna be pretty cool actually. I want the LS3 with all teh factory installed goodies. I'm gonna wait a few years however cause I want the demand to go down before I buy mine, and I'll need to save up some more cash. The Cobalt DOES NOT hold its value very well. But tis still a fun little SS/NA car to drive. I lvoe that camaro though, the challenger is nice, too many people have mustangs of all generations, but the Camaro still tops all these other cars.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Don't buy into the Gm upgrades, please lol. Aftermarket companies products will have a better gain. With the camaro, I wouldn't even bother with a warranty lol
Old 08-06-2008, 03:27 PM

Don't buy into the Gm upgrades, please lol. Aftermarket companies products will have a better gain. With the camaro, I wouldn't even bother with a warranty lol
You paying cash then, a warranty is for people to have a peice of mind until its payed for so they dont get left having to pay on something they cant afford to fix. Wish i had that kind of money lol
Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM

You paying cash then, a warranty is for people to have a peice of mind until its payed for so they dont get left having to pay on something they cant afford to fix. Wish i had that kind of money lol
Exactly why I'm getting a cobalt instead of the new camaro lol.

Oh and fiscal fizz - the extended GM employee pricing for friends was extended till 8/19/08. It's posted in the General Cobalt forum.