08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Perplexed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Perplexed

Alright so i have a 06 ss/sc and i like it alot, just not in the winter. Recently I went to the mitzu dealership and test drove the evo X which i fkn love no doubt about it. only problem is that payments would be about 500/month or even a little more if i were to buy it. Now over the weekend i test drove the 09' ss/tc, it's black which i love and has lsd, the cloth leather seats, the nice stero all that jazz. However my question is how are the tires and driving running in the snow at the moment? this is pritty much the deciding factor on me buying the evo and spending more or the cobalt ss/tc and paying less than i am right now? any thoughts or experiences? thanks ahead of time
P.S please do not bash.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 AM

ahhh $500 is alot ... + insurence.... i would go for the ss/tc.. even tho the evo x is sick
Old 11-17-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get the ss and run ss/na's with winter tires

and if it was me i wouldnt worry about the snow because i dont drive when its bad out...

Last edited by glen229; 11-17-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by snowboarder991
Alright so i have a 06 ss/sc and i like it alot, just not in the winter. Recently I went to the mitzu dealership and test drove the evo X which i fkn love no doubt about it. only problem is that payments would be about 500/month or even a little more if i were to buy it. Now over the weekend i test drove the 09' ss/tc, it's black which i love and has lsd, the cloth leather seats, the nice stero all that jazz. However my question is how are the tires and driving running in the snow at the moment? this is pritty much the deciding factor on me buying the evo and spending more or the cobalt ss/tc and paying less than i am right now? any thoughts or experiences? thanks ahead of time
P.S please do not bash.
Evo = Higher Monthly Payments + More In Insurance + More in Gas

The evo will be better in the snow, but the cobalt still has FWD, LSD & Traction Control

Just get a good set of winter tires, and you will have no problem, and it will still be alot cheaper than the evo.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:30 AM

true, i just may have to do that, you will more than likly be seeing pictures of one of the new beasts shortly, also the wife said if i get the ss/tc i can get another motorcycle, this is good news
Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 AM

You'll want to buy winter tires for either car. AWD will help in the snow, but my buddy still put his Evo into a curb when he hit some ice.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM

thanks for the thoughts guys, i also herd that the new conti's on the 09's are actually really nice in the winter as well. can anyone confirm that? i would be getting new rims in the summer; then putting winters on these
Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thanks for the thoughts guys, i also herd that the new conti's on the 09's are actually really nice in the winter as well. can anyone confirm that? i would be getting new rims in the summer; then putting winters on these
No, the Conti's are totally inadequate for any significant level of winter use. All-seasons are barely acceptable for winter use, and the Conti's are NOT all-seasons. Anyone who tells you these are a safe alternative are at best misinformed, and more likely foolish.

Get a set of snows, they're not that expensive and the price tag is certainly less than your life and the lives of other drivers.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Force
No, the Conti's are totally inadequate for any significant level of winter use. All-seasons are barely acceptable for winter use, and the Conti's are NOT all-seasons. Anyone who tells you these are a safe alternative are at best misinformed, and more likely foolish.

Get a set of snows, they're not that expensive and the price tag is certainly less than your life and the lives of other drivers.
All seasons are fine if you live in a major city.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
All seasons are fine if you live in a major city.
I have the 09 Cobalt SS Brochure infront of me and it says it comes with Summer Tires.. Not All Seasons.

This is for the Brochure though...
Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Force

QFT !!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by G Speed
I have the 09 Cobalt SS Brochure infront of me and it says it comes with Summer Tires.. Not All Seasons.

This is for the Brochure though...
Yes, I am well aware that the tires on the car from the factory are summer only.

Please go back and re-read my post...I stated that all-seasons are fine if you live in a major city with snow removal.

I don't feel like spending the money on winter tires seeing as 90% of the time I am driving on dry pavement...even in the winter.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM

P.S please do not bash.
i'm running 18inch low pro winter tires, cost me $1000 shipped because i waited forever to order them and nobody had stock, took me a week to find stock in an 18inch low pro winter tire. The only complaint i have is that these winters have ZERO rim protection on them, even the stock tires had a bit of extra rubber outside the lip of the rim. They are Kuhmo KW17's in the stock tire size, i know they have already saved my ass a few times, winter is here to stay where I live till March/April so I'm glad i managed to get my winter tires installed this past saturday, i'd be SOL otherwise.

As for driving them in snow........how many years have u been driving? How modded is your ss/sc and have u driven it in winter? IMO don't risk driving the stock ss/tc tires in winter, get some winter tires put on the stock rim and you'll be good to go for winter.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:27 PM

lol i've been driving long enough and this ss/sc is not modded (it's a lease) i live in grand rapids, i get lake effect snow here all the time. it looks likei'll have this car (the sc) for about another 6 months so i'm just going to waite a bit, thanks for the input guys
Old 11-18-2008, 04:14 AM

Yeah I'd get the SS/TC. $500 a month is going to wear on ya. Well... depending on how much you make I guess. lol
Old 11-18-2008, 05:07 AM

Compromise - 2009 WRX

Faster than the cobalt, looks better inside and out (imo), AWD. .it's a no brainer imo.

Sorry cobalt guys, I was a hardcore cobalt fan when I saw the new SS (still am), but when I trade in my SI, it'll be for the WRX. I'm sick of FWD.. snow or no snow.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by elohel
Compromise - 2009 WRX

Faster than the cobalt, looks better inside and out (imo), AWD. .it's a no brainer imo.

Sorry cobalt guys, I was a hardcore cobalt fan when I saw the new SS (still am), but when I trade in my SI, it'll be for the WRX. I'm sick of FWD.. snow or no snow.
09 WRX= 265hp/245trq (under ratedness=?), weighs 3175 lbs

09 SS = 260hp/260trq (under ratedness=confirmed), weighs 2975 lbs

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7103

Road and Track took out 4 cars, including the SS and WRX and did a comparison test. The WRX and SS were very close around their track, but saying the WRX is faster than the SS is quite far fetched. In a 1/4 mile drag, they managed 13.8@101mph in the WRX and 13.9@104mph with the SS. I don't know if how good or bad that time was in the WRX as far as what other people have managed, but I know what I have managed in the SS and I know there will be more like it from other members come this summer.

Conclusion: The WRX has AWD, thus it has a solid 1/4mile time, but take away that AWD advantage and I'm quite sure the SS will walk away from it every time.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM

AWD= bad MPG too, like REALLY BAD when compared to FWD from what i've been told
Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by c0baltic
ahhh $500 is alot ... + insurence.... i would go for the ss/tc.. even tho the evo x is sick
yeah, that's what you should be taking into consideration. If the insurance isn't going to make that big of a difference for you, then I would go with the Evo. you'll do great in the snow with the AWD and the modding potential in the end wiill serve to prove the Evo a better purchase I think.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM

AWD is fun as hell in the snow. Spinning all 4 tires yet still being in control is crazy.

I'd go with the EVO personally if I could afford it.

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC
AWD= bad MPG too, like REALLY BAD when compared to FWD from what i've been told
Not really. I can get on average around 25mpg with the WRX.

lol i've been driving long enough and this ss/sc is not modded (it's a lease) i live in grand rapids, i get lake effect snow here all the time. it looks likei'll have this car (the sc) for about another 6 months so i'm just going to waite a bit, thanks for the input guys
One of my friends goes to Grand Valley, she says it can be horrible in the winter.

AWD eats snow. FWD not so much. RWD no way.

Last edited by INDColtsFan18; 11-18-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost