08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Permafried-
I KNEW I was forgetting to do something when I got in the car..."what's this stupid handle for, it's always in my way of shifting some ******* should have installed this in a down position."...what a bunch of asshats. It IS due to the sliders being bone dry, perhaps Mr Service Manager needs to read up on how callipers work before opening his mouth.

When mine went in the shop foreman and service manager went out in the car and knew right away they were seized; they're been very responsive but there's still something fishy about the stock pads.
I am going with the R1 and hawk stuff just sucks I need new tires and brakes too

18k on the clock

so far I have 650 for HPtuners 600+ for intercooler . 1200 for charge pipes intake and DP 250 for tint 50 bucks for new AC pressure switch another 225 for tuning

So about 3,000 dollars in stuff for this car not to count 450 for new brakes
850 for new tires

Damn you gotta pay to play in a cobalt lol
Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Koz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to throw a wrench into things....

My friend took in her SS/TC to the dealer a few weeks ago for routine maintenance. She has around 16,000 miles on it. The DEALER told HER about issues with the brakes/uneven pad wear, and replaced them for free! They told her there's a newer compound that doesn't wear down as quickly (dunno what to believe, that's like 3rd hand info). But anyway, they replaced her rear pads for free.

I have an appointment with my dealership this morning. My rear inner pads are almost gone, though the outer pads look almost new. The rotors are deeply grooved (the grooves don't bother me, but the uneven pad wear does). I'll update later when I find out what the dealership thinks! (this is a different dealer than the one my friend went to...if my dealer doesn't do anything I'll try taking it to her dealer)
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 AM

First thing I did when I get my SS/TC was order up some Hawk HPS Pads for the rear. I switched them out for the stockers and used synthetic brake lube generously on the slides and on the back of the pads.

I beleive it has helped but not cured the problem as now with about 6K miles on the car I get a sort of grindinding sound from the rear whenever it's cold for the first few stops then the sound seems to go away. The rotors do not feel gouged at all but I will be taking a closer look with the wheel off in the near future. I may have to switch back to the stock pads and take it in to the dealership and try my luck hopefully atleast get the rotors turned and ask them to adjust the E-Brake cables.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM

The grinding noise is normal; you're hearing the pads cleaning all the **** build-up off the rotors. Ride in most cars with new brake compounds (ie. those without esbestos) and they make far more noise than the pads of yesterday used to. If your pads are wearing evenly and there's little to no grooving, you're good .
Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 AM

10,000 miles rear rotors worn, inside has large lip around outside edge of rotors. Rear brake pads thickness ok just soft rotors. Will need replaced soon.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
The grinding noise is normal; you're hearing the pads cleaning all the **** build-up off the rotors. Ride in most cars with new brake compounds (ie. those without esbestos) and they make far more noise than the pads of yesterday used to. If your pads are wearing evenly and there's little to no grooving, you're good .

That grinding noise is NOT normal.

The pads are not supposed to be CONSTANTLY touching the rotors, hence the noise, and the problem with the uneven pad wear.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Koz

Update!

My dealer wanted $50 to even LOOK at the brakes (as in, take of the wheels and just visually inspect the brakes), so I just said "forget it". I'll take it to another dealer.

BUT. My friend had her brakes replaced UNDER WARRANTY. This is the info she gave me:

The Part Order Form says Part #15271565 and they called it "RR Pad Kit"

The receipt of service says:

"Brake light came on - refer to history - sop in
Brake pads prematurely worn refer to RO 265646
Replace rear brake pads"

I remember now that I mentioned something about the brake light coming on when I brought the car in. It happened a couple times but then went right away. The RO# is what you need. That should be the document released by GM that says the dealerships need to replace the brakes. I don't know how to look that up. Ask around MPG - lots of those people are close to things like ROs.
So the million dollar question, is a repair order something that's internal to a dealership? Or is it a GM document that we can look up?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM

Added my car to the list. 22,000 miles and rear brakes are gone. The dealer blamed us for it said we drove around with e brake on.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:20 PM

im going to file my complaint and just go ******* aftermarket. this is outragous. i hate dealerships.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
That grinding noise is NOT normal.

The pads are not supposed to be CONSTANTLY touching the rotors, hence the noise, and the problem with the uneven pad wear.
That's why I mentioned when the car is first driven not constantly when you're just driving down the street. One cause of the uneven pad wear is the sliders binding and therefore the outbound pad never comes in contact with the rotor. Since having my brakes serviced the grinding is now minimal and my pad wear is still dead even inside and out .
Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Has anyone actually tried to drive with the e-brake on? The car dings at you (like when you don't have your seatbelt on) and tells you on the display that you have your e-brake on. So I don't know how they can tell you that you drive with your e-brake on.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 AM

fml.

mine went bad about a week ago. got the dealer to replace them though. but filed the complaint. >

08 black SS/TC. mods sitting at the house lol waiting for winter to break
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

done
Old 02-18-2010, 09:29 PM

Was there any thing on the front disc I thought there was some thing. All I know is rears are noisey but I had to get my rotors turned because the steering wheel would shake when I would slow down. anyway I filed
Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM

My car is at the dealer, and they refuse to replace my brakes and rotors which are destroyed. They admit that ONLY the inner pad is worn, and will not replace under warranty. They Also told me even though i purchased the extra 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty they will not fix and they will NOT even fix my doors alignment for rubbing the fender. I will NEVER buy a GM car again, not to say GM is making poor cars, but they have NO customer service. I reported the brake issues to GM directly in detroit and they told me to inform the SS cobalt owners club that it is now on file and being reviewed by regional directors
Old 02-26-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jalake
My car is at the dealer, and they refuse to replace my brakes and rotors which are destroyed. They admit that ONLY the inner pad is worn, and will not replace under warranty. They Also told me even though i purchased the extra 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty they will not fix and they will NOT even fix my doors alignment for rubbing the fender. I will NEVER buy a GM car again, not to say GM is making poor cars, but they have NO customer service. I reported the brake issues to GM directly in detroit and they told me to inform the SS cobalt owners club that it is now on file and being reviewed by regional directors
You are mad at GM because the dealership fucked you over? Go to another dealer. GM doesn't run dealerships anyways.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM

No, I am mad at GM because they do nothing to help their customers, even after I call GM directly telling them everything that had happened. If the dealer cant keep customers happy then someone higher in GM needs to do something about it, instead of letting customers getting screwed. And I went to another dealer already. Service manager for the one i bought the car at talked to us for a little and then said 'Im done with this' and walked away from us.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

23,000 miles. Rear rotors are fine but the rear pads are completely shot. Just returned from the dealer who declined to cover it under warranty. ******* bullshit.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 PM

Asking for advice?

Hi I have a 2010 Cobalt SS TC, and it has about 4,400 miles on it. And I have just begone to hear noises from my rear brakes? I wanna take my car in but should I have them replace the pads? or ask for a better and more upgraded rear brake just asking for advice please respond? Thank you!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 PM

man my **** sounds like a damn thunderstorm when i break and if i had my have my windows down pull in the garage and pull the ebrake just enough for it to engauge its hella worse
Old 03-05-2010, 05:46 PM

Well I have 8,555 miles on my 2009 Cobalt SS I hit the brakes when i was backing up and i heard grinding : ( I checked the rotors with my hand and felt a big grove on the top part of the inside of the rotor. I am going to take my car in to the dealership on monday.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two Updates:

R1 rotors + Hawk HPS pads: Been working fine with no scoring.

Friend... Stock Rotors + Hawk HPS pads: Says they feel and work great, no scoring.

So far it's looking like it's the stock pads causing some of this.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina
Two Updates:

R1 rotors + Hawk HPS pads: Been working fine with no scoring.

Friend... Stock Rotors + Hawk HPS pads: Says they feel and work great, no scoring.

So far it's looking like it's the stock pads causing some of this.
I've got over 7k miles on my new stock pads and rotors with no problems.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by emiller
I've got over 7k miles on my new stock pads and rotors with no problems.
umm...as you can see it happens at various mileages.
It was about 8,000 miles for me, 23,000 for a poster above.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 AM

CAR AT THE DEALERS NOW. they just called, first dealer to even hear me out!!! shes giving me brand new rotors as a 'good will' thing, but i have to pay for the pads and labor. gona fight that when i get there but im happy about the rotors.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL