08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emiller
Its your car I could care less what you do with it.

I'd rather fix a very simple cheap problem in a few minutes instead of letting it go and spending a few hundred fixing and hours of work it later. But I'm sure you will be back bitching about having to replace pads and rotors when they crap out.
Really!? I'd like to buy a brand new car that needs no attention specially to the rear brakes. I have 13,300 miles on my car now & the rear rotors are scored up just like they were at 1,500 miles other then that the car is fine. Just to let you know your startin to sound like an *******, so how bout you bitch about that have a nice day sir! I wouldn't be suprised if you work for GM because you sound like one of their grease monkeys.

Last edited by KnightSS/TC; 08-21-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KnightSS/TC
Really!? I'd like to buy a brand new car that needs no attention specially to the rear brakes. I have 13,300 miles on my car now & the rear rotors are scored up just like they were at 1,500 miles other then that the car is fine. Just to let you know your startin to sound like an *******, so how bout you bitch about that have a nice day sir! I wouldn't be suprised if you work for GM because you sound like one of their grease monkeys.
Like I said. Go ahead and ignore the easy cheap problem and pay a lot more for new rotors and pads. When you still don't fix the easy cheap problem it will happen again. Use a little common sense ass hole.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Like I said. Go ahead and ignore the easy cheap problem and pay a lot more for new rotors and pads. When you still don't fix the easy cheap problem it will happen again. Use a little common sense ass hole.
Why dont you use a little common sense and realize the average person doesnt know how to fix this "cheap and easy to fix problem" nor should they have to. Also realize the average person doesnt sign on to cobaltss.net to read about it either, because why would they until the problem is existant? By the time they do, they already need new rotors and pads. Chill out....your wrong and sound as stupid as 08sstc. The only two idiots i know who think its not a big deal that the car has a problem from day 1. The ignorance is amazing.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
just has my rear pads and rotors replaced brand new under warranty at 31,000km .. Both dealers said the rears are done both the pads and rotors and that is not normal wear considering the condition of the fronts.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MikeUFCSS
Why dont you use a little common sense and realize the average person doesnt know how to fix this "cheap and easy to fix problem" nor should they have to. Also realize the average person doesnt sign on to cobaltss.net to read about it either, because why would they until the problem is existant? By the time they do, they already need new rotors and pads. Chill out....your wrong and sound as stupid as 08sstc. The only two idiots i know who think its not a big deal that the car has a problem from day 1. The ignorance is amazing.
Ignorance is refusing to fix a cheap problem and letting it become a much more expensive one then bitching about how its expensive.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Ignorance is refusing to fix a cheap problem and letting it become a much more expensive one then bitching about how its expensive.

LOL how would one know what the problem is until the brakes are worn? Are you that dense...and yea id refuse to fix the problem even if it cost me a penny outta my own pocket on a brand new car. You have problems.

And if its just such an "easy fix", why cant GM say ok this is a ridiculous problem that is affecting almost every ss/tc, lets have them brought in for a little lubrication? Instead they tell the owners to shove it, and most people have had to pay full price and service for new brakes and rotors. Hence the purpose of this thread....
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

Even if i had a fulltime job at mcdonalds, that pays as much as the average grunt mechanic like yourself. Im bashing the brakes on the cobalt you moron. just like everybody else in this thread. Thats the thread topic hahaha

you are the only idiot who honestly thinks people should suck it up and fix a brand new car as soon as they buy it with their own cash. If you told people that before they bought the car guess how many ss tc's would be on the road? A big fat 0.

lol "no your the village idiot"...haha kids...

If you dont like it, leave the thread. Throw another temper tantrum somewhere else.
Seriously...you need to get a life and stop posting on here. Start getting off your computer and getting a job.

Grunt mechanic?? I own my own business. You got fired from McDonalds. You're angry at ther world, so you come on here bashing everyone and everything to try and make your pathetic ass feel better. You are a lowlife piece of trash, that much is obvious to everyone and being completely intolerable of everything.

You should consider suicide as a viable alternative to being as miserable as you are on this website. I can't imagine how much of an ******* you are in real life, you probably get your ass kicked all the time for mouthing off to people.

Your incredible ignorance, stupidity, and complete lack of understand of anything involving real life must set a new record for internet forum trolls.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
Seriously...you need to get a life and stop posting on here. Start getting off your computer and getting a job.

Grunt mechanic?? I own my own business. You got fired from McDonalds. You're angry at ther world, so you come on here bashing everyone and everything to try and make your pathetic ass feel better. You are a lowlife piece of trash, that much is obvious to everyone and being completely intolerable of everything.

You should consider suicide as a viable alternative to being as miserable as you are on this website. I can't imagine how much of an ******* you are in real life, you probably get your ass kicked all the time for mouthing off to people.

Your incredible ignorance, stupidity, and complete lack of understand of anything involving real life must set a new record for internet forum trolls.
lol you're the one who sounds disgruntled... having a concern for a new car needing rear brake servicing so soon isn't pathetic.. it's someone who like me... is mad that a brand new vehicle needs rear brakes and the dealerships won't take responsibility and just fix the **** under warranty on occasion because the factory fucked up such a simple thing. We paid through the nose for a warranty so god forbid someone should get to use it and get their money back... don't tell me this happens to all cars either because my gf's POS kia has rear disc brakes and her mileage is very close to mine and they look brand new... this is not normal wear as stated by the two dealerships i went to and again... if im paying to have my car serviced to maintain my warranty they damn well better fix it while they are under there since i paid to NOT have to do things like this myself. that way i can avoid having the dealership claim i fucked up the brakes by trying to do it myself and voided my warranty in typical GM fashion because i'm not a "certified mechanic". trust me i've played this game before... not playing it again... the only one trolling is you and a few others who come into a thread about rear brake problems and try to disagree with the **** tonne of people here who all have the same concern with their rear brakes needing servicing way too soon regardless of why... just because you think it's an easy fix and people should take it on themselves doesn't mean that everyone realized there was a problem before it was too late... it's the reason ppl buy a car with a warranty... to not have to worry about **** like this happening .. and when it does happen and dealers won't fix the problem under the warranty they paid to have ...which is "an easy fix" then people have a right to be upset. stop assuming everyone is car savy... some people just like to drive cars... not everyone is confident and/or interested in fixing them themselves.

Last edited by Cobalt_Daddy; 08-22-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM

you dont own your own business unless its selling lemonade on your moms front lawn.

The best part is your totally wrong...you troll on everybodies post, nobody agrees with you, and you have major ANGER ISSUES.

look at everything you wrote to me. calm down its the internet tough guy. I take it you were made fun of alot as a child.

keep turning the wrench for 11 dollars an hour ill let you know when you can go on break
Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

I had the rear brakes on my Cobalt wear down way before the fronts and chalked it up to what I thought was the reason being cheap ass brakes on the rear, and not a recall issue, It's to bad GM put a lot of low quaility parts on these cars. That's why I got rid of mine
Old 08-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned

you dont own your own business unless its selling lemonade on your moms front lawn.

The best part is your totally wrong...you troll on everybodies post, nobody agrees with you, and you have major ANGER ISSUES.

look at everything you wrote to me. calm down its the internet tough guy. I take it you were made fun of alot as a child.

keep turning the wrench for 11 dollars an hour ill let you know when you can go on break
That would be a good response if it had any validity or made any sense.

Both myself and emiller explained why you are an idiot and have no idea what you are talking about. But of course being that you are a complete *******, that doesn't register with you.

You are a miserable troll, go away and stop wasting space on this site.

Perhaps you should go beg for your job at McDonalds back, maybe they'll let you clean the bathroom.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by demento
I had the rear brakes on my Cobalt wear down way before the fronts and chalked it up to what I thought was the reason being cheap ass brakes on the rear, and not a recall issue, It's to bad GM put a lot of low quaility parts on these cars. That's why I got rid of mine
The rear brake system is made by ATE. Same as use on many high end European cars. They are not "cheap ass brakes" or "low quality parts".
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 AM

The rear brake system is made by ATE. Same as use on many high end European cars. They are not "cheap ass brakes" or "low quality parts".
that's funny the gm dealership replacing my brakes said they will put ac delco pads on since they will last longer... and i think it's not the quality... it's the design and lack of attention at the factory... either way.. there's a problem with an easy fix and GM isn't stepping up...
Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
that's funny the gm dealership replacing my brakes said they will put ac delco pads on since they will last longer... and i think it's not the quality... it's the design and lack of attention at the factory... either way.. there's a problem with an easy fix and GM isn't stepping up...
How did you get your dealership to fix the issue? I already tried w/mine, didnt go as planned though
Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by KnightSS/TC
How did you get your dealership to fix the issue? I already tried w/mine, didnt go as planned though
one dealership said the rear brake pads need replacing and was covered under warranty until 39k... but i had to pay for install... called another dealership. they said it didn't make sense that if it was covered under warranty that i'd have to pay for the labour. They checked and said i needed pads and rotors. both of which they said they'd replace under warranty. i follow my maintenance schedule to a T and dealer does all work so when i showed them all receipts and said noone ever noticed my brakes needed servicing or repair the last two times i had my car checked with the maintenance 2 package. she agreed that if it was wearing like that and it was that bad...they should have recommended a brake service or at least told me to have them cleaned up. since they didn't they are liable. if you pay for a service and they don't provide it, then they pay... that simple. i didn't argue with them i just explained to them that my dealership had failed me if i did all the maintenance and noone noticed my brakes were done til it was too late...

it probably is an attempt for them to get me as a regular customer by doing something that the other dealership wouldn't... either way i got new brakes on the back and i will return there in the future for work..
Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
The caliper is the same as a number of cars, not the pads. Go to a parking lot today and look for a Mazda 3 (don't think it matter what model, but go for sport), look at the rear brakes and you'll see your caliper staring back at you .
Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM

That would be a good response if it had any validity or made any sense.

Both myself and emiller explained why you are an idiot and have no idea what you are talking about. But of course being that you are a complete *******, that doesn't register with you.

You are a miserable troll, go away and stop wasting space on this site.

Perhaps you should go beg for your job at McDonalds back, maybe they'll let you clean the bathroom.

thats right you both explained why i should pay for new brakes and rotors and why i should fix the problem myself on my brand new car covered under warranty.

gotcha you guys are geniuses
Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 AM

New Cobalt SS, brought from the dealer Aug. 21st. Rear brakes squealing as of yesterday, to my dismay, but not so much anymore after reading some of the above comments. I will bring this to the dealer attention now (car has less tyan 400 miles) and pursue persistantly so that I later have a case for small claims court (Canada), if need be.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:57 AM

Done
Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by mouffe
New Cobalt SS, brought from the dealer Aug. 21st. Rear brakes squealing as of yesterday, to my dismay, but not so much anymore after reading some of the above comments. I will bring this to the dealer attention now (car has less tyan 400 miles) and pursue persistantly so that I later have a case for small claims court (Canada), if need be.
squeeling or squeeking? because squeeking is normal for these brakes since they are performance brakes...

just keep an eye on them... aparently there is a bulletin sent to dealerships saying to replace the rear brakes on these cars if the customer requests it but it is not a recall... not sure if it's true but i've heard more than one person say this..

just be honest with your dealership and tell them that you are not satisfied... those words scare dealerships since their jobs are rated by customers surveys... if you don't like what you hear... go to the next dealership...eventually you will get someone who realizes it's not normal and shouldn't be a problem. Then they will fix it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 AM

I'll add mine as soon as I get my VIN #. It's funny, I think I saw this topic a while ago when I had about 10K miles on my car thinking.."I don't have any issues w/brakes". Then earlier this week I heard a "GRINDING" noise that I've gotten accustomed to when the warning "tangs" start to hit the rotor. Typically these don't do any damage but are there to notify you that your brakes are getting worn and should be replaces ASAP. The wierd part is, I was hearing the noise just as much, if not MORE coming from the REAR as I was the front. So within several days I took it to the dealer because it's still under warranty and wanted to double check that nothing was wrong w/the rears.

So I get the call from the Chevy service guy (Who also has an 09 SS and we're on reletively "cool" terms) and he starts giviing me the lowdown on costs... It seems the REARS were more worn than the FRONTS!?!?! WHA???? On most cars I've owned it's been about 80/20 wear on Front to back ratio. I even talked to the service guy when I dropped it off and he said the same! "Yeah, it's typically 80/20" is what he said.

So now he's telling me he "Might" be able to save my rear rotor as it's scored. "It's going to be $97 more if we can't save it". The pads for rear are ~280ish I think and the fronts are over $330 if I remember correctly. I haven't checked out prices of aftermarket pads but JESUS-HIGHWAY-ROBBERY Chevy????

EDIT: Oh, and after we find out how worn the rears are I ask him if this is normal. His earlier 80/20 statement was no where NEAR being found as he said, "Yeah, these are performance oriented brakes so they're going wear out faster than normal brakes." BULL-HOCKEY I SAY!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 AM

ya um no.... lol my fronts are fine with 35k on them... my rears just got replaced.. they started grinding bad right after i made the appointment to have them replaced.. as for people that get accused of using their ebrake.. using the ebrake shoudl wear both pads evenly not just the inner... any service tech knows this... when the ebrake is engaged and the piston pushes the inner pad against the rotor it forces the caliper to pull the outer pad in to... so don't let a service advisor tell you your inners are worn more due to ebrake usage cuz that's B.S. goodluck!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
3500km brand new 2010 ss/tc.

Rear brakes just started squealing a week ago.

Took in to dealership, they said it was just the nature of the aggresive brakes.

"Service Brakes" warning came on car yesterday during normal driving.

This sucks.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM

6000mi on my 2010 and no problems yet... Wonder when it'll happen. Any sure way of telling?
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM

Wait for the grinding? Lol

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL