08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Old 06-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TronCarter
It seems that this thread has strayed a bit off course, but I will ask anyway. Does anyone know if the 2010's are also experiencing this problem? I've owned one for about a day and want to know what to expect or look for.

Tron
this happens on the 2010's i can confirm already ... only have 2500 kms on the car (~1500 miles)
Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt08tc
so if the rotors and pads are replaced it will be fine? my back rotors on my 08 SS with 10k miles on it have some grooves
Depends on what you mean by "fine". Will the HPS w/ R1 rotors fix the grooving of the rears and the grinding noise..yes they will. You can go so far as saying replacing the rotors with stock and running Hawk HPS will solve that problem. The biggest issue with grooving is the overly agressive rear pads when mixed with the soft metal GM seemed to use for the rotors. The R1s are a far stronger rotor imo, you can feel the difference when holding one in one hand, and the stock pieces in the other.

Now, will it fix the issues people are having with binding rear calipers/pads/slides....most definitely not. I'm recommending they be serviced (pad holder cleaned/greased, slide pins cleaned/greased, etc) every 6 months particularly if you drive the vehicle in the winter. The pad holders on the rear have shitty casting, no two are alike, they have rough edges, grooves where there shouldn't be, the slide pins are insanely short, etc.

Wanted to make sure people saw what rotors/pads will and will not fix so you're not completely mislead.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Interesting Update

So I went in today to get my rear rotors checked could feel massive grooving...

I was outback when they were taking the wheels off the mech called the foreman over... my rear were toast...
of course the inside pad and inside of the rotor... we all know the cause..

So the service rep comes up to me, and we begin chatting.... he's the owners son... I began talking to him about the ss rear brakes, and how lots of owners are having problems... and on the forums we are trying to get a recall etc..

He turns around and tells me, yea that will never happen "about the recall" & I know why it's happening. Then as I was about to say the pins, he turns around and tells me from factory they don't lubricate the pins !!!!!!!

He goes you have two choices... I will get the pads & rotors and install them for free.. I will cover it under warranty for you.. I only have 18000km's on the car.. he told me the rear pads should last for 50,000kms under normal conditions..

He goes options two... so you don't have this problem again.. for $99.. we will do a full brake service on the car...

We will take of each calipers, clean all the corrosion, grind all the excess crap off, and lubricate the slide pins, for all wheels..

I said option two please He told me at least, if you get this done and if your rotors and pads go again in 20000km's, just come back and we can do the same thing. He goes at least we will have everything documented, and you did everything possible to stop it from happening
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The problem isn't that they don't lubricate the pins. The problem is that the slide pins don't have a protective boot to protect them from the environment and to keep the lubrication from flowing out. Every other caliper I've ever seen had an enclosed environment for the slide pins via an accordion boot. Crappy design is all. If you clean and grease your slide pins every couple thousand miles, you'll probably be fine.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
No, you are an idiot for crying about it like the little bitch you are. Get a life.

Driver error??

You are a complete idiot. Its been proven that the problem lies within the electronic throttle control, not with the driver. I'm sure that family that died in California when their Lexus crashed were holding the gas pedal to the floor while trying to stop. You are a complete moron for defending Toyota, they are 100% neglegent and you are a puppet for buying into their bullshit.

Newsflash - Any time the vehicle's brake system fails to stop the vehicle in a predictable and reasonable distance, that is a failure. The Prius's brake pedal drops, causing loss of braking power and resulting in a collision. There have been many reported accidents from this occurance.

No it didn't. You know nothing. The Fusions issue was based solely on pedal feel, not brake performance or pedals dropping.

Open your eyes and use the internet. Its everywhere, and Toyota already recalled hundreds of thousands of cars to address the problem.

GM has some of the safest vehicles on the road with the highest crash test ratings. Look at the new silverado and GMT900's for example, or the Traverse, Acadia, Equinox, Malibu, and Camaro.

If you want to die, you buy a piece of **** Honda Fit or Nissan Versa. Then, when you get hit by a Silverado 3500, you have absolutely no chance of survival.

NO I DIDN'T!!!

My brakes are stock GM parts, all original!! You obviously have a serious reading comprehension problem.

When idiot Americans keep buying foreign crap, domestic manufacturers in all sectors of the industry will suffer.

It is a big deal. Your statement was retarded and 100% wrong, and now you're acting like I was wrong??

No, its called stiff overseas competition, more availability of different brands of vehicles, competitive pricing, and the global market place. You are very simple minded and obviously do not understand how the world works.

GM has better quality products than Toyota.

Did the world end?? Nope, you're just an idiot.

Keep up with the propoganda, you seem to be a very creative individual. Too bad you're more stupid than you are creative.

No, you are just a troll who bashes GM and their products at every possible chance you get. Get a life, get out of this thread, and get the hell off of this forum. You are a complete waste.
And again, you have brought nothing factual to the table. All you said was, well you're an idiot and anyone that purchases a foreign car is an idiot. You say I'm spreading propaganda, but I actually posted links to legitimate sources. You've posted nothing but your idiotic ramblings.

Is this really all you've got? Could you at least make an attempt to post something relevant from a legitimate source?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM

You know what really sucks? I just got R1 Concepts rear rotors with Hawk HPS pads not 2 weeks ago. Already starting to groove on the outside driver rear rotor... And YES I did lube the slide pins... What the hell is up with these stupid brakes? (08 SS btw)
Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
really?!??!!? I've checking mine inside and out and I dont have the extreme groovage I had with the stockers. Yeas I have some lines in the rotor but they arent what I call grooves. I lubed everything I could on the brake though, lol.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:49 PM

haha so did I. Purple lube over EVERYTHING. Pads, Sliders, Caliper Piston, etc so I'm really confused as to why it's happening. They're fairly noticeable too. I'm gonna take them to the dealers to see if maybe it's my calipers that are shoddy. I can definitely tell the quality of the R1 rotors so they shouldn't be scoring, especially not this quickly...
Old 06-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

hey! i took my cobalt ss turbo into get the steering recall and i told them about the rear brakes! now they are going to replace them! they better not pull some **** about making me pay for the replacement or ill ******* loose it. Ill never buy another GM product again if they do. GM wonders why they are in such crappy shape, making junk products like this. I love my 08 cobalt to death by fit and finish, it ******* sucks compared to the Mazda Speed 3, Volswagen GTI and the Subaru WRX. GM should be goddamn ashamed that after years and years of making cars they still cant product quality!............and I love GM, but im a realist
Old 06-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by hydroturboss
hey! i took my cobalt ss turbo into get the steering recall and i told them about the rear brakes! now they are going to replace them! they better not pull some **** about making me pay for the replacement or ill ******* loose it. Ill never buy another GM product again if they do. GM wonders why they are in such crappy shape, making junk products like this. I love my 08 cobalt to death by fit and finish, it ******* sucks compared to the Mazda Speed 3, Volswagen GTI and the Subaru WRX. GM should be goddamn ashamed that after years and years of making cars they still cant product quality!............and I love GM, but im a realist

the best statement made in this thread. congrats your one of the few who dont have their heads up their ass.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hydroturboss
No, you are a not a realist. You just have no idea what you are talking about.

What is a junk product?? You obviously don't have a clue. The calipers are made by ATE, same as used on the Mazda 3, Saabs, and Volvos. There is nothing "defective" about them. The rotors are standard rotors. The pads are standard pads.

Subaru WRX's have engine problems (blown head gaskets, engines spinning rod bearings) as well as horrible transmissions and poor brakes. The Mazdaspeed 3 is gaining a repuation for blowing engines, even in stock form. I won't even discuss the GTI, they aren't known for anything major that I've heard but lets just leave it at the fact that its a Volkswagen. Meaning you will need a 2nd mortgage on your house to repair it by 100K miles.

Originally Posted by MikeUFCSS
the best statement made in this thread. congrats your one of the few who dont have their heads up their ass.
Didn't you get banned for trolling?? Sorry to see you're back at it again

Last edited by 08SSTCRD; 06-20-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 PM

No, you are a not a realist. You just have no idea what you are talking about.

What is a junk product?? You obviously don't have a clue. The calipers are made by ATE, same as used on the Mazda 3, Saabs, and Volvos. There is nothing "defective" about them. The rotors are standard rotors. The pads are standard pads.

Subaru WRX's have engine problems (blown head gaskets, engines spinning rod bearings) as well as horrible transmissions and poor brakes. The Mazdaspeed 3 is gaining a repuation for blowing engines, even in stock form. I won't even discuss the GTI, they aren't known for anything major that I've heard but lets just leave it at the fact that its a Volkswagen. Meaning you will need a 2nd mortgage on your house to repair it by 100K miles.

Didn't you get banned for trolling?? Sorry to see you're back at it again

no. shut up
Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 AM

I kept forgetting to toss this information in here. 3 of my co-workers drive a Mazda 3 all of which have the same rear calipers as ours (identical) which is a well-known fact. They all have varying milage on theirs (well beyond where ours are "binding"), have never had a brake service, driven through 2 or 3 winters, etc. I pulled one of the slide pins and sure enough it was lubricated whereas, as has been stated numerous times, ours are not from factory.

I have put some 5,000km on since servicing my brakes/installing the R1s and Hawk HPS. I removed the pads over the weekend (while diagnosing the rattle I posted in Problems) and the pads are wearing evenly and the slide pins are still heavily lubricated as they were when I installed them.

I'll keep an eye on mine but based on the experiences my co-workers have had with the Mazda 3 in tandem with how mine and others are holding up since being serviced/lubricated (ie. even pad wear, no binding, no brake service in years) I suspect everyone who has mentioned the slide pins from day 1 (as well as the pad holder) have found the smoking gun when it comes to our brake problems of inner wearing faster than outer.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Permafried-
I kept forgetting to toss this information in here. 3 of my co-workers drive a Mazda 3 all of which have the same rear calipers as ours (identical) which is a well-known fact. They all have varying milage on theirs (well beyond where ours are "binding"), have never had a brake service, driven through 2 or 3 winters, etc. I pulled one of the slide pins and sure enough it was lubricated whereas, as has been stated numerous times, ours are not from factory.

I have put some 5,000km on since servicing my brakes/installing the R1s and Hawk HPS. I removed the pads over the weekend (while diagnosing the rattle I posted in Problems) and the pads are wearing evenly and the slide pins are still heavily lubricated as they were when I installed them.

I'll keep an eye on mine but based on the experiences my co-workers have had with the Mazda 3 in tandem with how mine and others are holding up since being serviced/lubricated (ie. even pad wear, no binding, no brake service in years) I suspect everyone who has mentioned the slide pins from day 1 (as well as the pad holder) have found the smoking gun when it comes to our brake problems of inner wearing faster than outer.
Sounds like what both of us have been saying for almost the entire thread, good to hear.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

I've had my Cobalt for a little over a year now and it has less than 30,000 miles on it but it sounds like there's dirt in between the brake pads and the rotors has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Sounds like what both of us have been saying for almost the entire thread, good to hear.
Yep, now I'll just keep a watchful eye on them particularly come November/December when winter rolls around. I might just take the step of cleaning/lubricating them when I swap to my winter wheels since I'll have it jacked up anyways, but I'm considering letting it go to see how it holds up without it .

Originally Posted by CobaltSST/C
I've had my Cobalt for a little over a year now and it has less than 30,000 miles on it but it sounds like there's dirt in between the brake pads and the rotors has anyone else had this problem?
Is it a grinding noise you're hearing? Are your rear rotors scoring? Have you checked pad wear to see if inner/outer are wearing evenly and aren't binding up?

Last edited by Permafried-; 07-08-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Permafried-
Is it a grinding noise you're hearing? Are your rear rotors scoring? Have you checked pad wear to see if inner/outer are wearing evenly and aren't binding up?
I don't think so...I'll check my break pads when I get home how will I notice if the rotors are scoring?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSST/C
I don't think so...I'll check my break pads when I get home how will I notice if the rotors are scoring?
If they have markings similar to this, there may be multiple. Or, take a pic of your rear rotors and post 'em in here . This was after being resurfaced and a single hard stop since the stock pads are an agressive compound, these sort of marks result:

Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Ill take a look at them tomorrow when I get home. I don't think they are making marks that bad!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:17 PM

this is a good thread and it answered why my brakes are already squeeking thanks for submittin you comments ty to all
Old 07-20-2010, 04:46 PM

First Turbo in Calgary, alberta july 2008

Done

I had the first TC Cobalt in my city and surrounding area (early summer 2008). I have had my pad replaced and rotor resurfaced at 20,000km (im in canada) then at 40,000 had the dealership replace the rotors, pads and brake calipers. problema always begin showing 10,000km intravels. at 51,000km now and even pad and rotor wear, dealership stated this is the last time they will service the rear brakes without cost to. I say let it occur again and i will fight with gm to the death. Its faulty recall it already.

Last edited by victoryredturbalt; 07-20-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
svt

I brought my car into the shop and they said the rear rotors and brakes are bad (duh). They wanted $528.88 to replace the pads/rotors, and they didnt even mention the slider pin.

Unfortunately they'll steal 70 bucks from me for "looking" at the car, but it'll be the last time I buy a GM product.

EBC here I come.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Done

Mine always has this eerie noise after a car wash, or rain, or just a cold day....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by svt
I brought my car into the shop and they said the rear rotors and brakes are bad (duh). They wanted $528.88 to replace the pads/rotors, and they didnt even mention the slider pin.

Unfortunately they'll steal 70 bucks from me for "looking" at the car, but it'll be the last time I buy a GM product.

EBC here I come.
All you have to do is lube the slide pin and it will be fine. But of course no other car anywhere in the world has a problem even 1 that's solved so easily.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by svt

EBC here I come.
So you aren't going to buy another GM product because your brakes, which are considered a wear and tear item, wore out. God forbid.

You are clueless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL