08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svt
I brought my car into the shop and they said the rear rotors and brakes are bad (duh). They wanted $528.88 to replace the pads/rotors, and they didnt even mention the slider pin.

Unfortunately they'll steal 70 bucks from me for "looking" at the car, but it'll be the last time I buy a GM product.

EBC here I come.
You could have gone in and told them there's no need to look at it, it's a known issue and they need to clean/grease the slide pins when they replace everything else.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Brought car in at 31,500km to have rears checked since theyve been more and more grindy and the rotors have grooves in them that seem to be getting deeper since 20k .. Rotors scored and pads almost worn out completely. They said pads are covered under warranty until 39k at no cost. But they told me i had to pay for labour associated with pad replacement and turning of the rotors. I called a different dealership and am awaiting a response. Doesnt make sense that my pads are covered under warranty for premature wear but it does not cover the labour associated with the replacement of the defective parts. I'll post an update later.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hm, well, I had my rotors and pads replaced at about 12,500 Miles and it cost me $363. Ever since the work done at the dealer the brakes are still as noisy as ever, used to be they would make a howling noise in reverse when I would press them a little hard. But I got mad and went kinda fast in reverse in a cleared parking lot and now they're alright. Still grinding at slow stops though. I was told by the head mechanic that the brakes should have been replaced even though I could clearly see chunks of metal in the pads and the mechanic even happened to be my Uncle by marriage's brother. He told me that he could have replaced them for free but the head GM guy for the area would have came back to inspect the brakes and would have said that they were worn and GM doesn't cover wear items. I still had nearly an 1/8th inch of pad left on the inside, 1/4th inch on the outside pad. Was also told that the Electronic Stability Control uses the rear brakes very aggresively and if the vehicle was put in a lot of these situations where the car slides and etc. then that could also cause the brake pads to wear. Was also told that "Aftermarket Rotors don't wear as good as the original rotors" so he said because I told him I should have told them to put my car back together and bought Aftermarket slotted ones. IMO GM wants our money, they will never make a recall until a crisis like the Toyota crisis happens in which lives are threatened. GM sees it as "You still have front brakes, who says you can't stop with them." And will therefore leech every last penny from us SS/TC owners for "fixing" our brakes.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
UPDATE : The other dealership i contacted called me back and is replacing my rear pads and turning the rotors free of charge. This is not only due to the unusual wearing but the fact that this wearing was never brought to anyones attention during routine maintenance checks to warrant a brake service. Finally someone recognizes this as a problem. This dealership also said they will be sure to remind me of brake service intervals to prevent this from happening again and be sure to inspect it routinely for wear.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
GM wants our money, they will never make a recall until a crisis like the Toyota crisis happens in which lives are threatened. GM sees it as "You still have front brakes, who says you can't stop with them." And will therefore leech every last penny from us SS/TC owners for "fixing" our brakes.
Why would they recall them? Its not a safety issue. Your brakes still function just fine. If you lube the slide pins the problem even goes away.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by emiller
Why would they recall them? Its not a safety issue. Your brakes still function just fine. If you lube the slide pins the problem even goes away.
Exactly. Only an idiot would drive around with the brakes grinding and then try and blame someone else for an accident. If your brakes are worn out, replace them, regardless of mileage or whos paying for it.

And for the record, even if you removed the rear brakes entirely, a Brembo equipped SS would still stop faster and more safely than any piece of **** Toyota has ever made.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 AM

done
Old 08-14-2010, 03:58 PM

has anyone done the brakes them selfs? what is the allen wrench size?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RAIDERNATION 433
has anyone done the brakes them selfs? what is the allen wrench size?
If you don't know how to properly service brakes, do not try. Its the only thing that allows your car to stop and prevent you from killing yourself, any passengers, and other people on the road.

Take the car to someone who is ASE certified and can properly service your vehicle.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
allen wrench size? what? Just unbolt the caliper, bleed the rear left one, compress them and remove old pads, put new ones in.

Take it a further step and swap the free floating rotors held in place by little crappy washer bolts. They come right off with a good twist using a pair of pliers.

^Thats for the rears.

The fronts, you need to pull out the locking pin. just tap it with a hammer and then pull it out using grip pliers. unbolt the caliper and change the pads, optional change the free floating rotors. retighten the brake bleeder on the rear left caliper and pump the brakes ALOT. Then give a slow test drive.

After that, seat the brakes.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Can we stop complaining about it already. Its a GM product. This should be expected.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by MikeUFCSS
Can we stop complaining about it already. Its a GM product. This should be expected.
Is your trolling to be expected too?

Unless you are retarded simply lubing the slide pins fixes the problem.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Bottom line is, we shouldn't have to make any damn altercations to the rear brakes to stop them from squeking or scoring up the rotors. I entered my vin # & filed my complaint 1500 miles into owning the car, also took it to dealership & complained which they acted like theres nothing they can do lol just another gm neglection in my book.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Banned

You are an idiot and need to stop trolling.

Originally Posted by KnightSS/TC
Bottom line is, we shouldn't have to make any damn altercations to the rear brakes to stop them from squeking or scoring up the rotors. I entered my vin # & filed my complaint 1500 miles into owning the car, also took it to dealership & complained which they acted like theres nothing they can do lol just another gm neglection in my book.
Since when is lubricating a part that requires lubrication an alteration (its alteration BTW, not altercation).

Its not. Its like complaining that a ball joint failed when it had a grease fitting that requires service and you never greased it. Same idea. Its not a defective part. People on this site are so simple minded.

Last edited by 08SSTCRD; 08-17-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
You are an idiot and need to stop trolling.

Since when is lubricating a part that requires lubrication an alteration (its alteration BTW, not altercation).

Its not. Its like complaining that a ball joint failed when it had a grease fitting that requires service and you never greased it. Same idea. Its not a defective part. People on this site are so simple minded.
When the car is under 1500 miles you shouldnt have to do **** to it! But thanks for the input as I said, mine was squeaky before I reached 1500k. Thanks for the spell check as well, hope you understand where I am coming from now.?

Since when is complaining that I am not happy w/my brand new cars brakes squeaking & scoring up the rotors in the break in period make me simple minded(please explain that one)?

Been reading some of your posts & you seem to be a dick/smartass in every aspect so............................................. I dont expect any maturity out of your reply so dont be scared to suprise me lol.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
You are an idiot and need to stop trolling..

shut up stop telling everyone its a simple problem to fix and just suck it up. It never should have been a problem in the first place. Numb nuts.

the only troll here is you. stop arguing with everyone on the boards and go back to your 25k a year job fixing chevrolets.

When the car is under 1500 miles you shouldnt have to do **** to it! But thanks for the input as I said, mine was squeaky before I reached 1500k. Thanks for the spell check as well, hope you understand where I am coming from now.?

Since when is complaining that I am not happy w/my brand new cars brakes squeaking & scoring up the rotors in the break in period make me simple minded(please explain that one)?

Been reading some of your posts & you seem to be a dick/smartass in every aspect so............................................. I dont expect any maturity out of your reply so dont be scared to suprise me lol.

he is known as the village idiot around here. dont mind him...

Last edited by MikeUFCSS; 08-17-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

shut up stop telling everyone its a simple problem to fix and just suck it up. It never should have been a problem in the first place. Numb nuts.

Numb nuts?? LOL, go back to middle school you clown.

the only troll here is you. stop arguing with everyone on the boards and go back to your 25k a year job fixing chevrolets.
Get a job and stop trolling this forum. Hows that sound you bitter piece of trash??

he is known as the village idiot around here. dont mind him...
No, you are the village retard. You come on here constantly bashing GM products for no reason, just because you are a pathetic loser who lives in your mother's basement.

You need to get a life, or just end the pathetic one you are living. Maybe get a job and stop living on wellfare checks, that would be a good start.

Last edited by 08SSTCRD; 08-18-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM

Even if i had a fulltime job at mcdonalds, that pays as much as the average grunt mechanic like yourself. Im bashing the brakes on the cobalt you moron. just like everybody else in this thread. Thats the thread topic hahaha

you are the only idiot who honestly thinks people should suck it up and fix a brand new car as soon as they buy it with their own cash. If you told people that before they bought the car guess how many ss tc's would be on the road? A big fat 0.

lol "no your the village idiot"...haha kids...

If you dont like it, leave the thread. Throw another temper tantrum somewhere else.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM

Even if i had a fulltime job at mcdonalds, that pays as much as the average grunt mechanic like yourself. Im bashing the brakes on the cobalt you moron. just like everybody else in this thread. Thats the thread topic hahaha

you are the only idiot who honestly thinks people should suck it up and fix a brand new car as soon as they buy it with their own cash. If you told people that before they bought the car guess how many ss tc's would be on the road? A big fat 0.

lol "no your the village idiot"...haha kids...

If you dont like it, leave the thread. Throw another temper tantrum somewhere else.
Lubing the slide pin is hardly a major effort. You really think every single person who has an SS/TC would have refused to buy the car for such a simple easy to fix reason?

People still bought Acuras and Hondas despite years of defective automatic transmissions.

People still buy Toyota even after years of engine sludge problems and the truck frames rusting through. Only time will tell but I doubt the sticky pedals will stop them either.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Lubing the slide pin is hardly a major effort. You really think every single person who has an SS/TC would have refused to buy the car for such a simple easy to fix reason?

People still bought Acuras and Hondas despite years of defective automatic transmissions.

People still buy Toyota even after years of engine sludge problems and the truck frames rusting through. Only time will tell but I doubt the sticky pedals will stop them either.
I do not agree w/you sir, they dont mention a thing about it anyways. No car is perfect from factory, they all have their imperfections. The rear brakes on the lnf is my only complaint about the car other then that I am happy w/the car.

Everyone has & can have their own opinion & thats mine sorry.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM

I do not agree w/you sir, they dont mention a thing about it anyways. No car is perfect from factory, they all have their imperfections. The rear brakes on the lnf is my only complaint about the car other then that I am happy w/the car.

Everyone has & can have their own opinion & thats mine sorry.
I'm happy with mine too. Like you the only problem I've had is rear brakes. They were fixed under warranty and 14k miles later they are still fine.

What don't you agree with? The Honda and Toyota problems are well known, serious, and occurred for years without being fixed.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Yes actually i do think so...IF YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. Which you do according to most dealerships. Yea you could do it yourself...but why should you have to? its a brand new car. An owner of a brand new car shouldnt have to fix a problem the second it leaves the lot.

im not biased against cars by the way, so you dont have to use imports as some sort of "counter argument". ive owned cars from almost every major automaker.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

I'm happy with mine too. Like you the only problem I've had is rear brakes. They were fixed under warranty and 14k miles later they are still fine.

What don't you agree with? The Honda and Toyota problems are well known, serious, and occurred for years without being fixed.
No, sayin I dont agree w/you about having to do anything to a brand new car, thats all. I could care less about whatever else you said.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Its your car I could care less what you do with it.

I'd rather fix a very simple cheap problem in a few minutes instead of letting it go and spending a few hundred fixing and hours of work it later. But I'm sure you will be back bitching about having to replace pads and rotors when they crap out.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 PM

*gets a cold drink and popcorn

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL