08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Permafried-
It's a complaint thread, but some of us are trying to point out what to look for/what to do to resolve it before the brakes absolutely go to hell and are in need of replacement, etc .

thanks.

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
exactly. IF you hate the car because of the brakes which will cost at the most 500$ to fix. Then your stupid. Seriously the car is an amazing little machine and the brakes are an easy fix, just fix them yourself. Its the only way anything gets done the right way right? do it yourself.

i did fix them myself(for less than 500, but should have been free!)...but thats not the point. brand new cars should not have the issue. If you think i should have to spend 500 dollars to fix something i shouldnt have to fix for 50k miles on my car, then you are stupid. It was a fun car, dont get me wrong, it just has alot of annoying issues that should not be present on a brand new car. Im not biased towards cars (ive owned one lol) but there are better options available as far as quality and CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Last edited by MikeUFCSS; 05-25-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
4k miles...that is NOTHING. You're an idiot for defending GM on this issue. Not much else I can say about that...
No, you are an idiot for crying about it like the little bitch you are. Get a life.

God, you are SO ignorant. That epidemic over SUA is a media craze and nothing more. The Lincoln Towncar had more reports of SUA than the Toyota Camry. Dr. Gilbert turned out to be a HACK, and Toyota is still going strong.

It will take years to confirm this, but at the end of the day it will turn out to be nothing more than driver error.
Driver error??

You are a complete idiot. Its been proven that the problem lies within the electronic throttle control, not with the driver. I'm sure that family that died in California when their Lexus crashed were holding the gas pedal to the floor while trying to stop. You are a complete moron for defending Toyota, they are 100% neglegent and you are a puppet for buying into their bullshit.

The Prius didn't have brake failures. That is just not the case at all.
Newsflash - Any time the vehicle's brake system fails to stop the vehicle in a predictable and reasonable distance, that is a failure. The Prius's brake pedal drops, causing loss of braking power and resulting in a collision. There have been many reported accidents from this occurance.

Oh, and the Ford Fusion Hybrid experienced the same issue...
No it didn't. You know nothing. The Fusions issue was based solely on pedal feel, not brake performance or pedals dropping.

Poor brake system performance...please cite your sources on this. That is a very vague comment...
Open your eyes and use the internet. Its everywhere, and Toyota already recalled hundreds of thousands of cars to address the problem.

As for safety...go check the NHTSA and IIHS websites for what auto manufacturer has safer vehicles...it surely won't be GM or Chrysler over Toyota, Nissan, Honda or VW.
GM has some of the safest vehicles on the road with the highest crash test ratings. Look at the new silverado and GMT900's for example, or the Traverse, Acadia, Equinox, Malibu, and Camaro.

If you want to die, you buy a piece of **** Honda Fit or Nissan Versa. Then, when you get hit by a Silverado 3500, you have absolutely no chance of survival.

Good for you, you paid out of pocket for AFTERMARKET PARTS! I refuse to deal with this on a car that had an issue within the first two months of ownership...
NO I DIDN'T!!!

My brakes are stock GM parts, all original!! You obviously have a serious reading comprehension problem.

You know, you're right. GM is now hovering around 18-19% of US market-share...so they have continued to decline since those graphs were put together...
When idiot Americans keep buying foreign crap, domestic manufacturers in all sectors of the industry will suffer.

You're the one that needs to use his head. I miss-typed then...not a big deal.
It is a big deal. Your statement was retarded and 100% wrong, and now you're acting like I was wrong??

At the end of the day...GM has gone from controlling 48% of the US automotive market to a current 19%...they have lost a great deal of market-share because of a lack of quality in their vehicles, bad customer satisfaction and an arrogance that is very similar to what you're displaying on here...blaming the consumer for the manufacturer's shortcomings is what got GM to the 19% they're currently at. The Big 3 have NO ONE to blame but themselves! You can't treat your customers like **** and expect them to stick around!
No, its called stiff overseas competition, more availability of different brands of vehicles, competitive pricing, and the global market place. You are very simple minded and obviously do not understand how the world works.

Originally Posted by MikeUFCSS
no point in talking to this guy. Hes the type of person the world laughs at. The day somebody says a chevy is better quality than toyota is the day the world ends.
GM has better quality products than Toyota.

Did the world end?? Nope, you're just an idiot.

Chrysler is the absolute worst steaming pile of garbage company in existance. Ford...yea fixed or repaired daily....i wonder how it got that nickname. Gm has declined and will continue to decline until they collapse(oh wait they already did, luckily the rest of our economy sucks to so the government HAD to bail them out) because they dont give a crap about producing a quality automobile. Goodbye saturn/goodbye pontiac. The proof is in the pudding, after years of producing crap, it has finally caught up with the US automotive industry.
Keep up with the propoganda, you seem to be a very creative individual. Too bad you're more stupid than you are creative.

regardless...the brakes ARE an issue. This is a complaint thread. If you dont like it, do not post in it. stop trolling a discussion between men.
No, you are just a troll who bashes GM and their products at every possible chance you get. Get a life, get out of this thread, and get the hell off of this forum. You are a complete waste.

Last edited by 08SSTCRD; 05-28-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Biased opinions. that's all you have. Your a dirt bag mechanic who make 24k a year. Please...do us a favor and keep your biased opinions to yourself because they cannot be taken seriously. Stop writing novels...you've proven your a troll, biased, and have no knowledge of quality.

its been proven time and time again gm, Chrysler and ford are the bottom of the heap as far as quality and reliability. Trolling? no its a fact...look it up....oh wait is every website and car magazine in the world wrong? but you a lonely grunt is right? get real. Dont even try to criticize any reviewers....look at yourself...your a nothing with no credibility.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Biased opinions. that's all you have. Your a dirt bag mechanic who make 24k a year. Please...do us a favor and keep your biased opinions to yourself because they cannot be taken seriously. Stop writing novels...you've proven your a troll, biased, and have no knowledge of quality.

its been proven time and time again gm, Chrysler and ford are the bottom of the heap as far as quality and reliability. Trolling? no its a fact...look it up....oh wait is every website and car magazine in the world wrong? but you a lonely grunt is right? get real. Dont even try to criticize any reviewers....look at yourself...your a nothing with no credibility.
You have obviously never actually bothered to look up Ford's quality ratings.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by emiller
You have obviously never actually bothered to look up Ford's quality ratings.
thanks for another useless contribution from you to this thread. the only decent car ford has produced over the years is the fusion. Yes I would buy one of those. Generally ford is a cheap alternative to a better vehicle.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:45 AM

thanks for another useless contribution from you to this thread. the only decent car ford has produced over the years is the fusion. Yes I would buy one of those. Generally ford is a cheap alternative to a better vehicle.
Good thing you have 69 useless posts to brag about.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by emiller
Good thing you have 69 useless posts to brag about.

i guess that is better than 697. what are we 5?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Koz

I just looked for myself. Looks like GM has some work to do with some of the brands, but they are not at the bottom of the heap.

And one thing that speaks to the complexity that is the automobile...note that the BEST score is 110 problems per 100 vehicles .
Old 05-30-2010, 01:07 AM

Well i think that proves the point pretty much though. If your below average it means your towards the bottom. how can anyone argue towards facts? if i was buying a car to drive on a daily basis and did not care about performance, id pick the one with above the average not below.

back on topic...
Old 05-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Banned

Mechanic??

Actually I'm an ASE certified technician and I've completed 4 years of college to earn a Bachelors degree. You never even graduated high school.

You probably work at Burger King too. Its readily apparent that you are too stupid, ignorant, and clueless to hold down a real job, any employer would fire you the first day for being incompetent.

You've proven time and time again that you are an assclown who has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. Here you are posting on a forum from your Mom's basement pretending to have a clue about whats going on in the world, when in actuality you probably never even owned a car, much less a Cobalt SS. Its people like you that drag the rest of the world down with your stupidity. I've seen children that know more about cars and life in general than you do.

Nobody cares that some yuppie journalist reviewer from Edmunds.com or some other bullshit publication doesn't like the texture on the dash or thinks that the car is inferior just because its American. What matters is real world experience, and in the real world driving many of the cars that journalists reccommend will net you nothing but expenses and headaches.

Well i think that proves the point pretty much though. If your below average it means your towards the bottom. how can anyone argue towards facts? if i was buying a car to drive on a daily basis and did not care about performance, id pick the one with above the average not below.
Cadillac and Buick both placed 3rd on those lists. Thats right at the top. Open your eyes, you are so blinded by your import bullshit that you can't even see the obvious.

Last edited by 08SSTCRD; 05-31-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
Mechanic??

Actually I'm an ASE certified technician and I've completed 4 years of college to earn a Bachelors degree. You never even graduated high school.

You probably work at Burger King too. Its readily apparent that you are too stupid, ignorant, and clueless to hold down a real job, any employer would fire you the first day for being incompetent.

You've proven time and time again that you are an assclown who has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. Here you are posting on a forum from your Mom's basement pretending to have a clue about whats going on in the world, when in actuality you probably never even owned a car, much less a Cobalt SS. Its people like you that drag the rest of the world down with your stupidity. I've seen children that know more about cars and life in general than you do.

Nobody cares that some yuppie journalist reviewer from Edmunds.com or some other bullshit publication doesn't like the texture on the dash or thinks that the car is inferior just because its American. What matters is real world experience, and in the real world driving many of the cars that journalists reccommend will net you nothing but expenses and headaches.

Cadillac and Buick both placed 3rd on those lists. Thats right at the top. Open your eyes, you are so blinded by your import bullshit that you can't even see the obvious.

hmm so first its "who cares about edmunds" and then its "cadillac and buick placed 3rd on the list". Your a joke

bachelors degree? whoa...sorry..IMPRESSIVE. Join the club. these days a bachelors degree is considered a waste of time in college.

No im not blinded by import bullshit. Ive owned american cars and foreign cars. To quote yourself, "What matters is real world experience". Yes well i have enough to know what gives me problems and what doesn't. As i said before im not biased...hey maybe if you read up a bit i said id even buy a ford fusion. I think the only one being biased and stupid is yourself. Yea ive never owned a cobaltss... but i came on here years ago just to argue with you right now knowing someone like you would sign up one day. The whole thing was a fabricated lie all leading up to this. you have problems.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:51 PM

OK get this one and boy am I surprised!

I recently took in my Cobalt for it's first service and at the same time I complained about the rear brakes so all the dealership did was turn the rotors for the squealing to start again on my way home just like I told the service manager it would.

I received a survey about the service in my email so I log on and complained about the brake issue and gave my suggestions. A week later I received a phone call from GM Canada with a really nice lady telling me that she read my complaint and this is what she said.

"I am going to send you a free complete service for the next time you go in and this will cover the complete drivetrain. Also when you go in to the dealer ask for the service manager and explain the situation and make sure that you call me first to let me know exactly when you are taking it in. Take my name, number, and extension and tell the service manager to call me so I can make sure that we rectify this situation as best as possible. If the situation occurs again then contact me again and with the dealership I will try to come up with another option."

I mentioned that if it does I will upgrade to the R1 Discs and new pads and she said, "If it comes down to this then we can see how we can reimburse you for some of the difference like installation and maybe free service in the future as GM will not pay for aftermarket items or replacement parts."

I could not believe this call and was very impressed!

Thanks GM Canada for restoring some of my faith in your company and products but I will not hold my breath just yet as I haven't been back to the dealer yet.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:11 PM

seeing as how in 2010 GM is back to being the number one automaker in sales, one would expect their "problems per 100 vehicles sold" would go up... if you aren't moving ****, you aren't going to be having problems

people were so ready to see GM fail that when the bailout came, it pissed them off... and with the restructure, not only has GM got their **** in order as far as restructuring, they seem to be making a very swift run back to the top of the automotive chain... even before Toyota's problems...

I mean the brake issue pissed me off as well, but I talked to a GM representative and got mine replaced, still don't think I should have had to went to that trouble, but at the same time if the major problem I have with this car would be a $300 fix anyway(replacing all the rotors and pads), well, that isn't exactly bad anyway...
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM

definitely major deep scoring on both outside faces of rotors
Old 06-09-2010, 02:39 PM

It seems that this thread has strayed a bit off course, but I will ask anyway. Does anyone know if the 2010's are also experiencing this problem? I've owned one for about a day and want to know what to expect or look for.

Tron
Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
in a few thousand miles maybe around 2 or 3 thousand, check the rear disc brakes. just put your hand behind the rotor and feel the "on-board" side of the disc. If you feel concentric rings grooved into the brake then your answer is yes. there are plenty of photos in this thread of what you need to look for. This brake problem was on my 2009 cobalt SS sedan. but I fixed that by switching to R1Concept rotors and hawk pads. I had greased the sliding pins during the change up and I havent had grooves in the last 9,000 miles. I've been meaning to check the pad life though... the inner pads wear faster than the outter pads.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on it. I just looked at R1's website and they only list 2005, 2006, and 2007 Cobalts. How did you get them for your '09? Are they the same as earlier models?

I have used PowerSlot rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my '02 Grand Prix GTP and was very happy with them.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:06 PM

PM R1 Concepts (Steven) on here under Supporting Vendors. They're not listed on the R1 site yet .
Old 06-09-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TronCarter
Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on it. I just looked at R1's website and they only list 2005, 2006, and 2007 Cobalts. How did you get them for your '09? Are they the same as earlier models?

I have used PowerSlot rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my '02 Grand Prix GTP and was very happy with them.
yeah, you have to PM him, I think he has a groupbuy thread under the R1Concepts Vendor thread. He has pricing listed there for the 08+ cobalt SS's. I think I paid about $550 for 4 slotted rotors and 4 sets of ceramic hawk pads? (I think they're ceramic?)

I'll find my pics of the brakes on my car.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM

^^^
I was gonna do the same but you're on the hunt so you can post yours since mine are only slotted as well .
Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...&postcount=101

yEAH! I win, oh it wasnt a race?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:24 PM

**** if it was I forgot to go when the light turned green. I call false start on you!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 PM

Had to have rotors done at 23000 km .Dealership ate the cost because I was under 30000 km.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSScrazy
my rear disc brakes 'rub and make eerie screeching noises' when I put the car in reverse and move around, 09 SS LNF. how do I phrase that 'appropriately'?
Had the exact same problem with my 07 SS I took it to the dealership multiple times. They claimed I was hearing things...gotta love scammers.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 PM

so if the rotors and pads are replaced it will be fine? my back rotors on my 08 SS with 10k miles on it have some grooves

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL