08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jbird34
YES SERIOUSLY,

How about they lube the damn slide pins at the factory and we wouldn't be having this discussion. I owned a Honda and a Hyundai and NEVER had brake problems. So while you are up there on your high horse don't act like you know me or my situation. Its people like you that are the reason GM won't fix this ****, I shouldn't have to lube the pins on a brand new car
Since its a known issue, if people like yourself would just do a simple check of their rear brakes and lubricate the pins which costs $0, then there wouldn't be an issue with uneven inboard/outboard pad wear to begin with.

Honda and Hyundai have crappy brake systems to begin with. They haven't changed in 20 years, still use cast iron calipers with tiny rotors. New Accords have a different brake pad in the rear and different proportioning, which causes them to wear out rear pads in 15K miles. And Honda considers that normal as well.

I'm sorry if I am blunt, its just that lubricating slide pins just seems like an extremely insignificant issue to me, especially when I see the problems that other new cars are having. Look at the GTR (blowing 20K trannies), Civic Si (sychros), Mazdaspeeds (blowing engine, oil smoke, ect), 370Z (brake failure, overheating oil, ect). Lubricating slide pins just seems rather insignificant. Don't take it personally.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:06 PM

YES SERIOUSLY,

How about they lube the damn slide pins at the factory and we wouldn't be having this discussion. I owned a Honda and a Hyundai and NEVER had brake problems. So while you are up there on your high horse don't act like you know me or my situation. Its people like you that are the reason GM won't fix this ****, I shouldn't have to lube the pins on a brand new car
Yeah Honda never had that problem with blown automatic transmissions for all those years.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I shouldn't have to lube the pins on a brand new car
You shouldn't have to but it'll help. I'm just as pissed as everyone else but seeing that GM would take 0 corrective action I decided to do something about it myself. People need to learn when to admit defeat, filing these complaints will yield slim to no results (though I hope I'm wrong), and people will keep paying for the stock parts which will continue to fail. I'm not agruing with you, like I said I'm pissed right off as well.

Originally Posted by motogp34
i was told as good as Hawk pads are, they eat rotors ???
I've been beating the hell out of my R1s and Hawk HPS for a few weeks now...not a single groove, car stops on a dime and no more grinding. My friend has R1 rotors with 100,000km on them and the Hawk HPS, no banding, scoring, grooving, etc. Beyond the rotors finally saying "ok I've had enough", they look immaculate.

Originally Posted by emiller
Yeah Honda never had that problem with blown automatic transmissions for all those years.
Or the SI 3rd gear problem that would shred your tranny that took them 3.5 years to admit was a problem. Imports are perfect.......pfffffft .....ask my friend how much **** he's had with his 07 SI in comparison to what most have put up with on their TCs. We haev a right to be pissed, and so does he...his SI has been nothing but a pain in the ass .

Last edited by Permafried-; 05-05-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 PM

I don't care who makes it. If you look even a little you will find problems on any car.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Exactly
Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried-
You shouldn't have to but it'll help. I'm just as pissed as everyone else but seeing that GM would take 0 corrective action I decided to do something about it myself. People need to learn when to admit defeat, filing these complaints will yield slim to no results (though I hope I'm wrong), and people will keep paying for the stock parts which will continue to fail. I'm not agruing with you, like I said I'm pissed right off as well.

I've been beating the hell out of my R1s and Hawk HPS for a few weeks now...not a single groove, car stops on a dime and no more grinding. My friend has R1 rotors with 100,000km on them and the Hawk HPS, no banding, scoring, grooving, etc. Beyond the rotors finally saying "ok I've had enough", they look immaculate.

Or the SI 3rd gear problem that would shred your tranny that took them 3.5 years to admit was a problem. Imports are perfect.......pfffffft .....ask my friend how much **** he's had with his 07 SI in comparison to what most have put up with on their TCs. We haev a right to be pissed, and so does he...his SI has been nothing but a pain in the ass .

THX
Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Figured I'd give an update. I'm just about done here at the dealer... got all four rotors machined, slider pins lubed and the rear pads replaced under warranty so I'm happy with that. Hopefully we'll get an official recall sometime though.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:42 AM

I don't care who makes it. If you look even a little you will find problems on any car.
This

Originally Posted by nelson
Figured I'd give an update. I'm just about done here at the dealer... got all four rotors machined, slider pins lubed and the rear pads replaced under warranty so I'm happy with that. Hopefully we'll get an official recall sometime though.
Congrats!!

P.S. I'm about to roll over the 20k mark and my rear brakes are still fine...
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 AM

Jbird34 go OVER your district rep's head

1-866-796-5600

can't remember the lady I talked with's name but her extension(which I wrote down) is 11394

I just got every rotor and brake pad replaced at 24,000 miles... no problems, no questions... bitching on a forum is not going to do anything, I can promise that...

and Jbird, go buy you an Si, you're in Bama, and i'll show you why you fucked up in buying one
Old 05-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
Jbird34 go OVER your district rep's head

1-866-796-5600

can't remember the lady I talked with's name but her extension(which I wrote down) is 11394

I just got every rotor and brake pad replaced at 24,000 miles... no problems, no questions... bitching on a forum is not going to do anything, I can promise that...

and Jbird, go buy you an Si, you're in Bama, and i'll show you why you fucked up in buying one
Thanks man I am about to get on the phone with them. And I did test drive an Si, I wasn't impressed. I really love my Cobalt its just a frustrating situation, and to 08SSTCRD if you are reading this please don't think I was directing any anger or frustration at you.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
Wow. Seriously??

You people are ridiculous. They are BRAKE PADS. You act like your engine blew up!!

Go buy a Honda, and when the rear brakes are gone at 15K miles (extremely common) why don't you ask them to replace them as well?? They will tell you the same damn thing, not covered.

Buy some new pads for $40, lubricated the slide pins with ceramic brake grease, and call it a day.
I've owned brand new Toyotas, Hondas, and VWs...I've never had this issue with those manufacturers...

This is my last GM product, but this really cost GM several more purchases. My immediate and extended family just bought 3 brand new non-GM products because of the tales of my experiences and problems...
Old 05-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
I've owned brand new Toyotas, Hondas, and VWs...I've never had this issue with those manufacturers...

This is my last GM product, but this really cost GM several more purchases. My immediate and extended family just bought 3 brand new non-GM products because of the tales of my experiences and problems...
Have fun with that.

VW's have some of the worst electrical problems known to man. My sister's VR6 has had so many issues that we are trying to get rid of it. Wheel bearings, water pump (both), coolant leaks, oil leaks, oil cooler o-ring failure, P/N safety switch failure, belt tensioner failure, the list goes on.

I don't know what kind of car you think you are going to buy that will have zero problems. Hondas, Toyotas, Mitsubishis, and other jap crap require a $600-$1000 timing belt change every 60K miles, which alone adds up to more than 8 sets of rear brake pads on your Cobalt.

Some people just have no common sense. Its one thing to be upset about an issue, its another thing to be so clueless that you stop buying an entire brand of automobile because you had one bad experience with rear brake pads wearing out premeturely. Do you also cry when you spill milk??
Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Have fun with that.

VW's have some of the worst electrical problems known to man. My sister's VR6 has had so many issues that we are trying to get rid of it. Wheel bearings, water pump (both), coolant leaks, oil leaks, oil cooler o-ring failure, P/N safety switch failure, belt tensioner failure, the list goes on.

I don't know what kind of car you think you are going to buy that will have zero problems. Hondas, Toyotas, Mitsubishis, and other jap crap require a $600-$1000 timing belt change every 60K miles, which alone adds up to more than 8 sets of rear brake pads on your Cobalt.

Some people just have no common sense. Its one thing to be upset about an issue, its another thing to be so clueless that you stop buying an entire brand of automobile because you had one bad experience with rear brake pads wearing out premeturely. Do you also cry when you spill milk??
This has more to do with the overall customer experience than the problem itself. It is how the dealers handle the relationship with the customer and NONE of them stepped up on this issue or other issues that I had. It was always my fault because it was an SS model...

Additionally, I don't know where you get your service intervals from, but all of the manufacturers you listed have the timing belts serviced at 100k miles. Now, seeing as you call it jap crap, you racist piece of ****, I'd like you to know that the "Jap crap" you dislike has lasted my family far longer than any UAW built POS. True Delta also appears to agree with me, but hey...that's just the facts, right? You have your, "ra-ra America **** ya" attitude, and those Japs make total ****...because you said so...

My last Honda Accord had ZERO issues for over 100k miles. Brake pads, and a wheel bearing was it...

I can't say the same for ANY American cars I've owned...GM trucks would be a different story, but their cars are no where near as good...

Glad you could bring your uneducated, racist conjecture into this thread.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 PM

it is jap crap, lol

will always be... the problem is a lot of people have this conception that the Japanese car manufacturers put out better products, they did so, so they can justify buying the foreign made product... because without it, well, they just look like a moron... "yeah, I love to send my money to another economy"... see that doesn't have the same ring as "American cars are crap"

but in reality, since the late 1980s the American car market has matched their import competition(especially Ford and GM) tick for tack in quality marks... in fact, GM set the standard with its Buick brand last year... and people want to put fingers at Toyota, but even BEFORE this massive recall, you can go back the last 10 years and compare Toyota recalls to others... they had MORE than any other company... and even if you break down the ratio of vehicles sold to vehicles recalled, they lead the way, so you can't say "well they sold more, of course they did" because they only sold more vehicles than GM one year(2009) and it appears GM will once again move more units this year... but even selling less, they still had more recalls

the Media FOR YEARS was biased in that regard as well, we all remember GM getting reamed by the media for tail light bulbs burning out in the late-90s/early '00s, Ford with Firestone, etc... yet how many times did a Toyota recall make national headlines BEFORE this one? and its nothing new, they've been having acceleration issues with cars since the late 1990s, after they realized it was a global problem that could no longer be ignored, well, then the media tried to play the "we told you so" game

what about the bed rot on the Toyota tundra from using cheap Chinese steel? is that one in the media? of course it isn't, that has been a problem for 5+ years... exhaust hangers breaking on just about every camry on the road? nope, ignored... before this mass recall, Toyota was untouchable in the minds of most
Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

This has more to do with the overall customer experience than the problem itself. It is how the dealers handle the relationship with the customer and NONE of them stepped up on this issue or other issues that I had. It was always my fault because it was an SS model...
No dealer is going to replace brake pads that are worn out under warranty. Its a wear and tear item, they are supposed to wear out. If you weren't so ignorant you would have bought a set of Wagner pads for $40 and had a shop or technician put them on for you instead of bitching up a storm over worn out brake pads.

We know there are issues with the rear brakes, but from the dealer's standpoint it looks like you caused the problem by abusing them. And thats why they aren't covered.

Additionally, I don't know where you get your service intervals from, but all of the manufacturers you listed have the timing belts serviced at 100k miles.
Wrong. Depending on year and manufacturer, the service interval is anywhere from 60K to 105K. And only an idiot would wait until 105K, because thats when its most likely to fail. And they have been known to fail before their service interval. Which is why timing belts are a shitty design to begin with, but the asians will never understand that.

Now, seeing as you call it jap crap, you racist piece of ****, I'd like you to know that the "Jap crap" you dislike has lasted my family far longer than any UAW built POS. True Delta also appears to agree with me, but hey...that's just the facts, right? You have your, "ra-ra America **** ya" attitude, and those Japs make total ****...because you said so...
Racist

You are a joke. I never made any comments about any japanese people specifically, just about the shitty cars they make. Get a grip, you cry like a bitch about everything.

I work on cars every day. You sit on your fat ass on your computer and pretend to have a clue what you are taking about.

My last Honda Accord had ZERO issues for over 100k miles. Brake pads, and a wheel bearing was it...
Nobody is impressed. And by the way, replacing parts = NOT zero problems you idiot. Changing a front wheel bearing on one of those pieces of **** is a pain in the ass, you have to remove the entire knuckle and press it out. So figure a few hundred for that job, plus $600-1000 for the timing belt, and you are no further ahead than anyone else.

I can't say the same for ANY American cars I've owned...GM trucks would be a different story, but their cars are no where near as good...
You are a typical anti-American idiot that thinks buying jap crap is the answer to everything. You don't have a clue.

I had 220K on my '90 Cavalier beater car when I sold it two years ago, and its still on the road. All it ever needed was a $35 power steering pump.

And of course it was on the original timing chain, unlike your precious jap crap that would have gone through 2-3 timing belts as a cost of $600-$1000 each. So thats $1200 to $3000 that I didn't have to spend on an inferior bullshit design.

Why don't you come back and argue when you know your ass from a hole in the ground you un-American piece of trash
Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Additionally, I don't know where you get your service intervals from, but all of the manufacturers you listed have the timing belts serviced at 100k miles. Now, seeing as you call it jap crap, you racist piece of ****, I'd like you to know that the "Jap crap" you dislike has lasted my family far longer than any UAW built POS. True Delta also appears to agree with me, but hey...that's just the facts, right? You have your, "ra-ra America **** ya" attitude, and those Japs make total ****...because you said so...

Then go to a different dealer. Not every GM dealer sucks and far from every import dealership is great.

I had a 05 Scion tC SC which I sold with 73k miles on it. In that time I had 2 radiators crack, 2 superchargers fail, and it would pop out of 5th gear at random times. But lucky for me it was still on the original brakes.

Glad you could inform me that everything Japanese is amazing and 100% reliable.

No dealer is going to replace brake pads that are worn out under warranty. Its a wear and tear item, they are supposed to wear out. If you weren't so ignorant you would have bought a set of Wagner pads for $40 and had a shop or technician put them on for you instead of bitching up a storm over worn out brake pads.

We know there are issues with the rear brakes, but from the dealer's standpoint it looks like you caused the problem by abusing them. And thats why they aren't covered.
Actually I got my rear brakes warrantied no questions asked with 22k miles on them. The inside of both rear rotors were completely trashed but the pads were still about 50% inside and outside. While they were doing it they lubed the slides up. Got 32k miles now and they still look like new.

Last edited by emiller; 05-11-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

I had a 05 Scion tC SC which I sold with 73k miles on it. In that time I had 2 radiators crack, 2 superchargers fail, and it would pop out of 5th gear at random times. But lucky for me it was still on the original brakes.

Glad you could inform me that everything Japanese is amazing and 100% reliable.
I hear you man.

Unfortunately some people are just beyond help because their heads are just too far up their asses.

I still can't get over the fact that someone would be stupid enough to get rid of their car because the rear brakes wore out
Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM

Yeah that is kinda dumb...I'm getting everything replaced on Saturday.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Actually I got my rear brakes warrantied no questions asked with 22k miles on them. The inside of both rear rotors were completely trashed but the pads were still about 50% inside and outside. While they were doing it they lubed the slides up. Got 32k miles now and they still look like new.
Sounds like you got a good dealer, glad to hear it. Many will not cover worn brakes, even in cases of premature wear.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:06 PM

Sounds like you got a good dealer, glad to hear it. Many will not cover worn brakes, even in cases of premature wear.
I realize most wont but there are good dealers out there. I believe a few others got theirs warrantied too.

Even if I had to pay for it I wouldn't sell the car because the rear brakes wore out fast. That's just crazy.

I hear you man.

Unfortunately some people are just beyond help because their heads are just too far up their asses.

I still can't get over the fact that someone would be stupid enough to get rid of their car because the rear brakes wore out
I had to fight like hell to get those superchargers replaced. I don't know anyone that didn't have them fail. When the 1st one failed I had moved to another state so they actually called the original dealer to blame them for installing it incorrectly and attempt to get them to cover it or something. Eventually they did replace it under warranty. About a year later the new one failed (same issue) brought it back in and once again they blamed the dealership for installing it wrong and said they couldn't replace it. Had to pull out the paperwork showing them that they had installed it. Magically after a few minutes of discussion it was warrantied again. I sold the car a week later.

Last edited by emiller; 05-11-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Why don't you come back and argue when you know your ass from a hole in the ground you un-American piece of trash

You white trash hillbilly.

These are the rear brakes we're talking about, which handle far less braking bias than the front brakes. Owner abuse does not hold water when the front brake pads still have a ton of life in them.

What you really mean to say is that, if I were ignorant, I would have bought a set of wrangler pads and paid out of pocket to fix this...that would have been the ignorant thing to do...to accept the dealers' BS explanation.

I buy a new car with a warranty...I expect to NOT deal with anything like this for a good long while...especially not in the first couple months of ownership...and to then NOT have this repaired under warranty in the first 4k miles...gimme a break!

Especially when the first 4k miles were MOSTLY long highway trips!

This wasn't the ONLY issue I had with this car...not by a LONG shot! This car is the biggest POS I've ever owned. I've had to take it into the stealership multiple times for the same f-ing issue...aside from the brakes!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Im okay with a rattle in the sunroof, a ticking noise in the A/C when the fan is set to low, and the weird settling noise you hear when the car is at a stand still at a light and the music is off. The rear brakes were the perfect excuse to upgrade my friend.

Think optimistically my friend and everything will seem better. I'd rather have these small issues than buy a bmw and have the same issues but with more cost, right? Human beings make these cars.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM

My rear brakes looked perfect with 16k on them until I took it to the track (road course). When I was changing the brake fluid afterward I noticed the right rear rotor had a significant groove in it. Upon further inspection it looked as though the brake pad material built up along the edges of the pad during the heavy braking. I cleaned the brakes up good and lubed everything up as suggested by other posts. Everything seems fine since. Another track day is coming up so I am going to monitor buildup between runs and then see how things look afterward.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
Im okay with a rattle in the sunroof, a ticking noise in the A/C when the fan is set to low, and the weird settling noise you hear when the car is at a stand still at a light and the music is off. The rear brakes were the perfect excuse to upgrade my friend.

Think optimistically my friend and everything will seem better. I'd rather have these small issues than buy a bmw and have the same issues but with more cost, right? Human beings make these cars.
x2, my new brakes work great
Old 05-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned

You white trash hillbilly.
Good one. Funny how you just sit there and call names when you have no idea what you are even talking about.

These are the rear brakes we're talking about, which handle far less braking bias than the front brakes. Owner abuse does not hold water when the front brake pads still have a ton of life in them.
Its called driving with the parking brake on. I can only imagine how many times you've done that.

What are you referring to in regards to brake bias?? Do you even know what brake bias is?? Of course you don't. Brake bias refers to the differential in pressure front to rear, which is determined by the engineers who designed the brake system.

What you really mean to say is that, if I were ignorant, I would have bought a set of wrangler pads and paid out of pocket to fix this...that would have been the ignorant thing to do...to accept the dealers' BS explanation.
Wranger pads

Seriously??

I buy a new car with a warranty...I expect to NOT deal with anything like this for a good long while...especially not in the first couple months of ownership...and to then NOT have this repaired under warranty in the first 4k miles...gimme a break!

Especially when the first 4k miles were MOSTLY long highway trips!
Don't drive around with your parking brake on. Thats a good start to not trashing your rear brakes.

This wasn't the ONLY issue I had with this car...not by a LONG shot! This car is the biggest POS I've ever owned. I've had to take it into the stealership multiple times for the same f-ing issue...aside from the brakes!
Sure it is. Now that you get called out, not only are you complaining about the brakes, but all of a sudden you have all these other mysterious problems as well. Grow up kid, the fact that you are just trying to make the car look bad is 100% obvious.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL