08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope, sure dont. Only is a problem on SS/TC's
Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BK05SS
its unacceptable. My 09 SSTC has 27300 miles on it and just had the dealer I bought the car from replace the rotors and pads, the rear brakes were scored up pretty bad and the inside pads prematurely wore out while the 'outside' ones wore normal. Completely unacceptable in a 20,000$+ vehicle. Too bad the Gov't hasn't issued a recall for them.
It's not a recall because its not a safety issue.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM

I have a different complaint related to the rear brakes. I took it to the dealer twice complaining about it and I finally diagnosed the problem myself.
-When I drive over bumps(without applying the brakes) the OEM brake pads bounces and hits the caliper brackets creating a rattle. Its very annoying. The dealer says putting on a new set of pads will correct it but the new pads will be the same length. They need to be 1/8" longer.

Last edited by bri2203; 05-04-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by bri2203
I have a different complaint related to the rear brakes. I took it to the dealer twice complaining about it and I finally diagnosed the problem myself.
-When I drive over bumper(without applying the brakes) the OEM brake pads bounces and hits the caliper brackets creating a rattle. Its very annoying. The dealer says putting on a new set of pads will correct it but the new pads will be the same length. They need to be 1/8" longer.
I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re having with your Cobalt. In the end, did the dealer replace anything or are you still experiencing the rattle?

Thanks,
Laura
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re having with your Cobalt. In the end, did the dealer replace anything or are you still experiencing the rattle?

Thanks,
Laura
Currently the vehicle is still at the dealership. I want the vehicle fixed and the only solution they have is installing a new set of brake pads. I told them I am fine with buying the pads but if it doesn't fix the problem I don't think I should pay for it when my current brake pads(OEM) have a lot of life left(I am pretty confident new pads will not fix the problem). I asked that they make a few phone calls to hopefully come up with a solution.
I will send you a PM
Old 05-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bri2203
Currently the vehicle is still at the dealership. I want the vehicle fixed and the only solution they have is installing a new set of brake pads. I told them I am fine with buying the pads but if it doesn't fix the problem I don't think I should pay for it when my current brake pads(OEM) have a lot of life left(I am pretty confident new pads will not fix the problem). I asked that they make a few phone calls to hopefully come up with a solution.
I will send you a PM
Replace the retainer spring, problem solved. If you rock it with the e-brake off does your caliper move up/down? This sounds like the same problem I had and the spring clip replacement solved the problem.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by emiller
It's not a recall because its not a safety issue.
hows it not a safety issue, what if these pad worn down like that let go while trying to stop on the high way to avoid an accedent. we are just smart enough that when we hear this grinding noise we do something about it
Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by BlackLsCoupe
hows it not a safety issue, what if these pad worn down like that let go while trying to stop on the high way to avoid an accedent. we are just smart enough that when we hear this grinding noise we do something about it
Because your brakes won't fail. They still work just with some grinding. With your theory every car has a safety issue because brakes wear out.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Just wanted to post up my experience.

These brakes are crap. I've been grinding for a little while. I just believed the "they're noisy because they're performance" garbage. Don't drink the kool-aid! And, don't trust the incompetent service tech's with their "inspections" that tell you that you've got plenty of pad left. They obviously don't check for uneven wear! My car has 35xxx mi. Here are the pics:

All four pads:

Left inboard:

Left Outboard:

Right Inboard:

Right Outboard:

Here's the left rotor, it's just a little groovy:

The right, OTOH, has about a third of the material on the inboard side gone:

I finally got some time today to replace all this crap. This was also after going to the dealer specifically to have this resolved a while back. All they said they'd do was turn the rotors because that's what the service bulletin said.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Angry

Chevy just pisses me off my rear brake pads wore out when my car had less than 13,000 miles on it and one dealer accused me of "off roading" my car just because I had some stickers on my windshield from an autocross and they wouldn't warranty them. they also accused me of E braking, I don't even know how to E brake. I'm just a gal out trying to have some fun in my car and I not even fast in the autoX I also try not to use my brake too much because I have heard about the brake problems.
I called Chevy and told them all I do with my car is some defensive driving in parking lots and they told me they still wouldn't warranty the faulty brake pads or rotors because they are a wear item, and Now after barely 10,000 more miles on stock brake pads and rotors they are wearing out again. but since my Vin has been reported as a "OFF ROADING'' car they won't warranty their faulty product because it's a WEAR PRODUCT.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by cjrasband
Chevy just pisses me off my rear brake pads wore out when my car had less than 13,000 miles on it and one dealer accused me of "off roading" my car just because I had some stickers on my windshield from an autocross and they wouldn't warranty them. they also accused me of E braking, I don't even know how to E brake. I'm just a gal out trying to have some fun in my car and I not even fast in the autoX I also try not to use my brake too much because I have heard about the brake problems.
I called Chevy and told them all I do with my car is some defensive driving in parking lots and they told me they still wouldn't warranty the faulty brake pads or rotors because they are a wear item, and Now after barely 10,000 more miles on stock brake pads and rotors they are wearing out again. but since my Vin has been reported as a "OFF ROADING'' car they won't warranty their faulty product because it's a WEAR PRODUCT.
It's the pads. Forget about the dealer. Replace the rotors and pads. Don't bother using the old rotors. I got plain rotors (centric premium) and ceramic pads for $150 total. Problem solved.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 PM

I had this issue..and an issue with my ebrake....after enough bitching and they saw the issues with my rotors and pads compared to the front ones...I got all new brakes in the rear and new ebrake.....
Old 05-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by cjrasband
I apologize for the frustration you’ve experienced with your break pads but unfortunately your dealer was correct. GM does recognize the break pads as a wear product so they are not covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I wish I had better news for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks,
Laura
Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM

For what its worth:

FYI I was told I was "racing my car" by a Customer Service rep from Chevrolet when I had grinding from the rear brakes at 6k miles. Roughly a month or two after I bought my car and I had 3 dealerships say the same thing. Only after my shifter linkage snapped when backing out of a parking lot did anyone from GM actually look at my car. Even then, they couldn't explain how there was no wear at all on the front brakes inside or out and the rear rotors and pads we're grinding.

I've given up on any service from any dealership as I am not dumb enough to let something like that slide and "chalk it up" as other who were having the same problem were getting theirs replaced under warranty. I've since purchased all necessary tools and do the maintenance myself. Its considered laughable when I take my car in for a "insufficient voltage at rear o2" error code and am told my factory charge piping is causing the problems and must be removed.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM

If it helps any I replaced my rotors and pads with r1 and hawk stuff. Now I have caliper issues that GM wont warranty because I have "aftermarket" parts. They have told me they will not warranty the caliper anymore. So I hope GM enjoyed selling me the only GM car I will ever buy I'm tired of dealerships treating me like I'm retarded or some street racer...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
wow, I'm surprised to see this thread active again!?

I am dealing with this right now;
I was just told by the dealer that there was a recent TSB regaurding these cars, and uneven wear on cars that were "not driven hard";
my dealer seems to think that this should be warranty *crosses fingers*;
Here I was ready to just go buy new parts, and everyone I talked to told me to talk to the dealer - btw, I'm the original owner, I'm roughly at the halfway point through the bumper-to-bumper, and have only owned the car for roughly fourteen months.

My car's booked for this coming tuesday - now I'm wondering if I should do the stage1 install before bringing it in, so that I can have that done while it's already in (I mean it's just a reflash if I do the install!)...
Oh the troubles I have
Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky

I was just told by the dealer that there was a recent TSB regaurding these cars, and uneven wear on cars that were "not driven hard";
Here I was ready to just go buy new parts, and everyone I talked to told me to talk to the dealer - btw, I'm the original owner, I'm roughly at the halfway point through the bumper-to-bumper, and have only owned the car for roughly fourteen months.

My car's booked for this coming tuesday - now I'm wondering if I should do the stage1 install before bringing it in, so that I can have that done while it's already in (I mean it's just a reflash if I do the install!)...
Oh the troubles I have
Read post # 613 above.
Also, the pad material needs to be of a different type (not a replacement of the original pads!) and the rotors need to be resurfaced at a minimum. If they don't do both of these things, then it will do nothing to fix your problem.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSlow
If it helps any I replaced my rotors and pads with r1 and hawk stuff. Now I have caliper issues that GM wont warranty because I have "aftermarket" parts. They have told me they will not warranty the caliper anymore. So I hope GM enjoyed selling me the only GM car I will ever buy I'm tired of dealerships treating me like I'm retarded or some street racer...
What caliper issues do you have? I haven't heard of anyone having a caliper problem...except the lubing of the pins (which, in my opinion, is NOT the problem with the rear brakes).
Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ronn
Read post # 613 above.
That would be relevant if this car was modified in any fashion or if there wasn't any TSB regarding the rear brakes to begin with (although I have not seen it, I am told it exists)

I remember reading this thread many months ago, and figured it was purely a non-lubed slider deal, which apparently it isn't (well not in it's entirety);
I went last night to the local auto parts shop, and not only did he not have the pads for my car, but after seeing how grossly uneven (outers are probably at roughly 80%) they were, as well as the cars' mileage, he strongly encouraged me to at least talk to the dealer...

which pretty much brings me back to my last post...

Originally Posted by ronn
What caliper issues do you have? I haven't heard of anyone having a caliper problem...except the lubing of the pins (which, in my opinion, is NOT the problem with the rear brakes).
he has a hole in the dust boot of one of his caliper's... proably a faulty part - but he's getting hassle/denied because he installed aftermarket rotors & pads...

Last edited by soundjunky; 05-12-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 PM

That would be relevant if this car was modified in any fashion or if there wasn't any TSB regarding the rear brakes to begin with (although I have not seen it, I am told it exists)

I didn't see anything in that reply (from GM) that talked about *mods*

Here is what she said:
GM does recognize the break pads as a wear product so they are not covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty

Not saying that your dealer won't help you though..some have redone the rears as a good will item. Just make sure the pads are NOT the same as the originals!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:35 PM

yeah my problem is just a torn dust boot ultimately not a huge problem but the have told me the whole caliper assembly is now out of warranty because of aftermarket rotors and pads...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Oh the troubles I have
I hope that you get a positive outcome at the dealership! As many customers have mentioned on here, the dealership’s hands are sometimes tied and they are not able to offer assistance, but I believe you are a good example of pointing to the fact that it can’t hurt to at least speak with the dealer about your concern. Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks,
Laura
Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
I hope that you get a positive outcome at the dealership! As many customers have mentioned on here, the dealership’s hands are sometimes tied and they are not able to offer assistance, but I believe you are a good example of pointing to the fact that it can’t hurt to at least speak with the dealer about your concern. Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks,
Laura
FYI: I am speaking with Deanna on an unrelated matter, and told her about this just today.

I knew this was something of an issue from day one, and had cleaned & lubed the sliders last year, thinking this was the culprit;
I only just noticed brake noise on Wednesday - and looked into it that night.

I have also kept the car mechanically 100% stock (with only aesthetic GM accessories being added).
I take very good care of the car, and always keep it clean;
I would think that somewhere along the line, the dealer realizes, not only do I take good care of my car, and want to retain the bumper to bumper warranty, but that I'm not out to get hand any hand outs - while at the same time, I strive to keep my expenditures to a minimum.
When I saw this I had fully expected to just buy replacement parts myself...
Then when I spoke with the (assistant?) service manager yesterday, I tried to asses worst case scenario for myself - I mean if I can avoid any bogus "brake inspection" fees, I'd be happiest...
Old 05-13-2011, 04:16 PM

FYI: I am speaking with Deanna on an unrelated matter, and told her about this just today.

I knew this was something of an issue from day one, and had cleaned & lubed the sliders last year, thinking this was the culprit;
I only just noticed brake noise on Wednesday - and looked into it that night.

I have also kept the car mechanically 100% stock (with only aesthetic GM accessories being added).
I take very good care of the car, and always keep it clean;
I would think that somewhere along the line, the dealer realizes, not only do I take good care of my car, and want to retain the bumper to bumper warranty, but that I'm not out to get hand any hand outs - while at the same time, I strive to keep my expenditures to a minimum.
When I saw this I had fully expected to just buy replacement parts myself...
Then when I spoke with the (assistant?) service manager yesterday, I tried to asses worst case scenario for myself - I mean if I can avoid any bogus "brake inspection" fees, I'd be happiest...
Totally understandable, thank you very much for the update. Please let me know what happens after you take it to the dealership.

Thanks,
Laura
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Bogus brake inspection fees are exactly the reason why I bought my own **** and installed them myself. Did a better job than any stupid GM mechanic could ever do anyways. Tired of their BS. 17k and my pads looked like the ones in that picture above, except 1 rotor was pretty much toast; the same one where the pad was worn down to the retaining clip, and half of that was worn off as well.
If you want something done, do it yourself cuz Gm doesn't give a flying **** about the ppl.
/end rant

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL