08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F_Imports_09tc
This thread has been beat to death, resurrected and killed beat sone more.....
Fact: the rear pads are more aggressive than a normal street pad and have a fairly high amount of metallic content. This along with insuficiantly lubricated slide pins results in noise and grooving.

The fix: Clean and lube your slide pins every 3k miles or so. It's easy, doesn't take too long, and prevents these issues. Very simple. Or change your pads. Stock rotors are excellent quality, going aftermarket rotors won't help anything. The key is keeping everything clean and lubricated.

I've got 19k miles on my car and have none of these problems. It is just part or the basic maintenance of this car, like changing the oil. When it gets colder out the rears are going to make noise no matter what until you get some heat in them. If this bothers you change pads.

Driving the car and beating on the brakes also helps. These pads love to be abused. Do your brakes a favor and auto-x the crap out of it. They really like to get heat in them.
If you can't accept any of this info then maybe the car isn't for you. Think of it as basic maintenance because that's what it is. Stock pads and rotors really can't be beat by aftermarket stuff. Can't deal with the cost/ maintenance get rid of the car.

/thread
Agreed! I had the rotors turned at 3500 miles, & new GM pads & rotors replaced under warranty at about 12K, and no problem since (22K). I autocross about 2 weekends a month, and the pads & rotors still look great.

Did you or the dealer check the inside of the rear rotors for grooving?

09 SS, stock, R tires.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Billdayton
Agreed! I had the rotors turned at 3500 miles, & new GM pads & rotors replaced under warranty at about 12K, and no problem since (22K). I autocross about 2 weekends a month, and the pads & rotors still look great.

Did you or the dealer check the inside of the rear rotors for grooving?

09 SS, stock, R tires.
I check when I clean and lube everything. I have a little bit, nothing to be concerned about.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:38 PM

I check when I clean and lube everything. I have a little bit, nothing to be concerned about.
Sorry, I meant that question for the previous poster. He was talking about the noise, but never mentioned rotor damage.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 PM

just filed my complaint, my rotos have some piting damage (really pissed about it). my father in law says i might need to purchase some new rotors. what lube should i purchase and where do i apply thanks
PISSED OFF COBALT OWNER!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by toeknee(ss)
just filed my complaint, my rotos have some piting damage (really pissed about it). my father in law says i might need to purchase some new rotors. what lube should i purchase and where do i apply thanks
go to the begginning of this thread and there should b a link to take u and file.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toeknee(ss)
Purchase Permatex Ceramic Brake Lubricant. You can get it at most auto parts stores. Its purple goop in a purple/white package. Apply it to the rear caliper bolt pins that secure the caliper to the bracket. The caliper slides on these pins, and they often get dried out or contaminated. Pack as much lubricant into the slide pin bores as possible, and wipe off any excess that oozes out.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 PM

26000 miles, my brakes are "scored" I believe, they make this tearing/grinding sound (not a screeching whining sound) when I brake now. The rear brakes that is.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Nal

mine too, I just got the rotor and waiting for pads...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 PM

Warrenty replaced, filed report... COUNT NEEDS TO BE UPDATED!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM

add me to this list. i'm on my second set of pads and going to have to change my rotors in the rear. this is ridiculous. '08 SS , 40K miles
Old 11-20-2010, 09:17 AM

My husband called in for his car. They want us to pay $135 to get new brakes. He's had problems since 7000 miles. The dealership says that's normal for the brakes to make that much noise!!

I just put mine in for the third time for the e-brake. I hope it's fixed this time or GM will be getting a car back! Mine will be next for the rear brakes. They are starting to make noise too @ 11000 miles.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 PM

Im in... throw in the fronts for recall too.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lynx
Are you kidding? What is wrong with the fronts?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lynx
LMFAO Try bedding your brakes properly before complaining about them. Absolutely nothing wrong with the fronts, ask people who actually use them like wangspeed, venom09, the multiple people who auto-x their SS/TC's, etc..
Old 11-25-2010, 03:09 PM

LMFAO Try bedding your brakes properly before complaining about them. Absolutely nothing wrong with the fronts, ask people who actually use them like wangspeed, venom09, the multiple people who auto-x their SS/TC's, etc..
Yea I'm with you there. I don't think anyone would ever need better brakes up front. He is probably mad because they squeak a little... Some people just need to get over it.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 PM

I'm with you there. My fronts did develop a deposit or something on a trip, resulting in the shakes, but that went away with some hard stops. I autocross regularly, and the stock brakes are great, once the rear brake issues were resolved.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 PM

done
Old 12-11-2010, 01:42 AM

I had my rear breaks replaced at 9000 miles rotors had grooves in them but noticed it was when I used the e-brake when I parked I stopped and just throw it in first and have had no problems it's the parking brake I think at least in my case
Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 AM

I keep complaining to the dealership about my brakes squeaking and grindning and they keep telling me that they are supposed to do that. I had my rotors turned at under 5000 miles i'm around 20,000 nad they are still squeaking and the dealership says they wont do anything about it
Old 12-13-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Cptnsweet
I keep complaining to the dealership about my brakes squeaking and grindning and they keep telling me that they are supposed to do that. I had my rotors turned at under 5000 miles i'm around 20,000 nad they are still squeaking and the dealership says they wont do anything about it
Well unless they are grooved badly or actually grind very loudly, then there is nothing they can do.

As cold as it is now, he brakes will squeak like crazy.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cptnsweet
Clearly you have not taken the time to skim through this or the 100000000000000000 other threads about the rear brakes. If you did you would know the cause of the noises and how to fix it....

FYI, the stock brakes are great. Better than probably 95% of the stuff on the road right now. Learn how to maintain them/keep them clear of debris etc and you won't have any problems. And yes, the brakes are a maintenance item on this car, just like the oil and filter. They need to be checked, cleaned periodically to work properly. Don't like it, get a different car
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Clearly you have not taken the time to skim through this or the 100000000000000000 other threads about the rear brakes. If you did you would know the cause of the noises and how to fix it....

FYI, the stock brakes are great. Better than probably 95% of the stuff on the road right now. Learn how to maintain them/keep them clear of debris etc and you won't have any problems. And yes, the brakes are a maintenance item on this car, just like the oil and filter. They need to be checked, cleaned periodically to work properly. Don't like it, get a different car

What he said! I had the rotors turned with quite low mileage, and complained to the CAC. They issued me a credit for $100 dollars. Then the brakes scored right away, and I got new pads & rotors under dealer warranty. Since they lubed the pins at that time, I have had no further problems & the brakes work great, not even any squesl. It's my daily driver and autocrosser.

Bill Dayton
09, Red, stock with R-tires for autocross.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 AM

hey bro you do trifecta tunes in texas?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump, I have a question. My car (2010 balt lnf ) has less than 10,000 KM on it, now that its winter my front breaks squeal and sqeeks like a bitch before they are "warmed up". This warming up doesn't usually happen on the drive to work, so im stuck with driving a car around thats almost embarrassing because people look at you like YOU CHEAP FK REPLACE YOUR BREAKS...

anyhow, only in the first 5 minutes of driving does my rear breaks make a metal on metal tone.. like a whale? or something.. it goes away quickly but the sound is there under 0 breaking. Is this the issue people are talking about?

i basically am having problems with my front and rear breaks, can anyone tell me if I should try to get them replaced? pads replaced? While im still warranted and stuff?

Dealing with warranty so far has been a nightmare, Il probably never buy GM ever again for the rest of my life. So I would like to get this stuff fixed SOONER than later. So I can maybe deal with having the car for 5 years.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by cranemaster
Bump, I have a question. My car (2010 balt lnf ) has less than 10,000 KM on it, now that its winter my front breaks squeal and sqeeks like a bitch before they are "warmed up". This warming up doesn't usually happen on the drive to work, so im stuck with driving a car around thats almost embarrassing because people look at you like YOU CHEAP FK REPLACE YOUR BREAKS...

anyhow, only in the first 5 minutes of driving does my rear breaks make a metal on metal tone.. like a whale? or something.. it goes away quickly but the sound is there under 0 breaking. Is this the issue people are talking about?

i basically am having problems with my front and rear breaks, can anyone tell me if I should try to get them replaced? pads replaced? While im still warranted and stuff?

Dealing with warranty so far has been a nightmare, Il probably never buy GM ever again for the rest of my life. So I would like to get this stuff fixed SOONER than later. So I can maybe deal with having the car for 5 years.
I've had no problems here in So Calif. I'm about to change the rears on my TC and will use the newer Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. Part #PD1095. Since it's the rear, I'm too concerened about MAXIMUM performance. Just less dust and noise. Try them!
Link:

TQ EDGE : The Most Technologically Advanced Brake Pad for Today's Vehicles

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL