Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL - Page 2 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > General > 08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion
Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL >

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 PM
  #26  
Premium Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
drewbroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-21-08
Location: TUCSON AZ
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
Welcome to May 2009:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...&postcount=175

Nonetheless, let's keep the grievances flowing.
Yup, just putting it out there
drewbroo is offline  
Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-05-09
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,028
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Before I submit mine, what are you guys putting down in the explaination boxes? Just want to make sure we're keeping a united front
Gimpster is offline  
Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM
  #28  
Premium Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
drewbroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-21-08
Location: TUCSON AZ
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gimpster View Post
Before I submit mine, what are you guys putting down in the explaination boxes? Just want to make sure we're keeping a united front
I put scoring on the rotors, and squealing. Increased wear for the inside rear pads.
drewbroo is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 AM
  #29  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Great Bend, KS
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Brake Complaint

I filed a complaint a few weeks ago, ODI #10278491. I had to pay to have the rotors turned. Now, at 6300 miles, the grooving is evident, especially on the drivers side inside surface, but also on the passenger side.

Also, complain to the CAC!

Billdayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS
Billdayton is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-03-08
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 3,482
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i will add my car asap
sub'd
09turbo is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 AM
  #31  
Premium Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
drewbroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-21-08
Location: TUCSON AZ
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billdayton View Post
I filed a complaint a few weeks ago, ODI #10278491. I had to pay to have the rotors turned. Now, at 6300 miles, the grooving is evident, especially on the drivers side inside surface, but also on the passenger side.

Also, complain to the CAC!

Billdayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS
How much did the stealership charge for turning the rotors?
drewbroo is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
redninja6r's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-09-08
Location: Conneautville. Pa
Posts: 569
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 2 of the 3 first complaints filed. Been 8ooo miles since the last time they looked at it, just checked I have 10/32 so this time it seems to be really fixed.
redninja6r is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 11,256
Thanked 68 Times in 59 Posts
Oh I got the scoring, and the brakes are definately wearing alittle too quickly for back brakes I just hit 10,000 miles.
CudaJoe is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
  #34  
Member
 
Join Date: 11-02-08
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went to the dealer today to get my car checked out because it was grinding real bad. After sitting in the waiting room for 2 hours, the service writer comes out and shows me the rear pads have nothing left to them. He tells me they are not under warranty because I have 13,000 miles and they are only warrantied for 12 months or 12k miles. So I told him to put the pads back in and get screwed.
09SS is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 PM
  #35  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-28-09
Location: Great Bend, KS
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewbroo View Post
How much did the stealership charge for turning the rotors?
$90 plus tax, about $96. That's why I got a letter from CAC worth $100 on my next service.

Billdayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS

Last edited by Billdayton; 09-08-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: correction
Billdayton is offline  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 PM
  #36  
New Member
 
Join Date: 05-29-09
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just filed mine.

I took my car to the dealer a couple of weeks ago with terrible grinding coming from the driver side rear wheel, both on and off the brakes. I had 17,500 miles on the car at the time and told the service rep (Larry), who I've been dealing with the past 7 times I've taken it in, about the issue with our brakes. He got me into a rental and told me to print out some of what I was talking about on this site and bring it to him. So instead of that I printed out the complaints from the NHTSA website and gave those to him. I guess the manager was giving him some **** about why they're paying for a rental when my warranty should be up, but Larry took care of everything for me and took the copies to the manager. So hopefully they actually do something with this information.

I know I must have been lucky to get a service department this helpful! lol
08LVSS is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 AM
  #37  
Premium Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
drewbroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-21-08
Location: TUCSON AZ
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good deal, i am glad this made a sticky. I will be getting my new hawk pads in this week. I will be taking my car into the dealer and seeing if they will resurface the rotors, and put my pads on for me.
drewbroo is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 02:25 AM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-05-09
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,028
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got mine filed: 10283358. Car is at 5400 miles and the innner pads (particularly drivers side) are about 3/4 done.

Mostly highway miles too mind you.
Gimpster is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 11:40 AM
  #39  
New Member
 
Join Date: 08-26-09
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
done
EvilKyle09SS is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-26-08
Location: Virginia
Posts: 864
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
done! post 19 under 2008 cobalt ss
madlion is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
hiltu's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 913
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
11:17AM:
for 2008 Cobalt SS, 18 Total complaints (1 parking brake and 17 service brakes, hydraulic)
for 2009 Cobalt SS, 24 Total complaints (3 parking brake, 1 service brake, electric and 20 service brake, hydraulic)

NOTE: i did not see this thread on l n f p e r f o r m a n c e . c o m so i posted a thread there too to help out.

Last edited by hiltu; 09-09-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
hiltu is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:24 PM
  #42  
Member
 
Join Date: 05-29-07
Location: Oxon Hill, MD
Posts: 362
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did this months ago but bump for my participation.
dthomp2366 is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-22-07
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 1,271
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine still hasn't done it so I'm not going to file a complaint yet..or should I?
I'm at 1,650 miles...
cobalt9123 is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:29 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
hiltu's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 913
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
Mine still hasn't done it so I'm not going to file a complaint yet..or should I?
I'm at 1,650 miles...
Just go on a cross state road trip, you'll wanna file a complaint than
hiltu is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
  #45  
New Member
 
Join Date: 06-17-08
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 164
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had my rear discs machined and the rear pads replaced under warranty at 15,000 KM
BLK08SS/TC is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 PM
  #46  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
Posts: 189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BLK08SS/TC View Post
Just had my rear discs machined and the rear pads replaced under warranty at 15,000 KM
I was told to go F myself by my dealer. I'm at 20,000 and the inside brakes were to the metal. The outside pads still had a quarter inch left. The dealer told be that they don't cover any brake issues. I extended my warranty, when I purchased the car, to 75,000 miles. I now regret even dealing with GM. My warranty is not helping me at all. I don't mind purchasing the brake pads (at a steep $95), but I want the callipers fixed. Something is really wrong here.

Also, when the inside rear pads started rubbing the metal, I lost about 50% of my braking power. This is a safety risk. Our vehicles are primarily being stopped by the rear brakes, not the front. It's really pointless to have the Brembos on the front when they are not taking much of the work load.

If I slam on my brakes, my REAR tires lock up! WHAT A JOKE GM!

I never thought I would see myself on the losing end of GM, but I now realize that the customer (at some dealers) is just a joke to them. I am very dissapointed in GM's engineering and build quality. I really hate to say this (because I love GM), but this is my fourth, and likely my last, GM vehicle.
sbdblyss is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 PM
  #47  
Premium Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
drewbroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-21-08
Location: TUCSON AZ
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbdblyss View Post
I was told to go F myself by my dealer. I'm at 20,000 and the inside brakes were to the metal. The outside pads still had a quarter inch left. The dealer told be that they don't cover any brake issues. I extended my warranty, when I purchased the car, to 75,000 miles. I now regret even dealing with GM. My warranty is not helping me at all. I don't mind purchasing the brake pads (at a steep $95), but I want the callipers fixed. Something is really wrong here.

Also, when the inside rear pads started rubbing the metal, I lost about 50% of my braking power. This is a safety risk. Our vehicles are primarily being stopped by the rear brakes, not the front. It's really pointless to have the Brembos on the front when they are not taking much of the work load.

If I slam on my brakes, my REAR tires lock up! WHAT A JOKE GM!

I never thought I would see myself on the losing end of GM, but I now realize that the customer (at some dealers) is just a joke to them. I am very dissapointed in GM's engineering and build quality. I really hate to say this (because I love GM), but this is my fourth, and likely my last, GM vehicle.

Actually the build quality is okay, their customer service and work ethic just is aweful. My wifes GLI is at 40K miles, I have had over 8K dollars in warranty work performed in the last 2 months. The thing is though, its been no questions asked, and they fix it quickly, and give me a loaner if its going to be more than one day.

So VWs break, but atleast their dealers don't bitch about fixing them. I am much more satisfied with the VW breaking down all the time than my cobalt breaking once, atleast they treat the consumer like a person and not a criminal. They even replaced her key fob free of charge. (283.00 new)
drewbroo is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
  #48  
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
Posts: 189
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewbroo View Post
Actually the build quality is okay, their customer service and work ethic just is aweful. My wifes GLI is at 40K miles, I have had over 8K dollars in warranty work performed in the last 2 months. The thing is though, its been no questions asked, and they fix it quickly, and give me a loaner if its going to be more than one day.

So VWs break, but atleast their dealers don't bitch about fixing them. I am much more satisfied with the VW breaking down all the time than my cobalt breaking once, atleast they treat the consumer like a person and not a criminal. They even replaced her key fob free of charge. (283.00 new)
That's awesome! I guess I should not complain about their build quality. I have only owned GM vehicles, except for an Acura. Hopefully GM pulls it together. I just posted a complaint about the brakes. We will see....
sbdblyss is offline  
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: vero beach fl
Posts: 2,846
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ill be doing this as soon as i get out of school and can see my vin
dunit121 is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 12:19 AM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-01-09
Location: Rio Rancho NM
Posts: 1,304
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Done.
raynrishad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.