08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL

Old 09-12-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$280 is what i paid... Bastards! i gotta take my Cobalt in this week to get the shift linkage and ish looked at if they try to make me pay instead of warranty it im gonna freak out on them!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

VW called me, and the Hawk ceramics I ordered for the 08-09 SS were wrong? WTF... They tried to order some other ones, none for 08-09 SS/TC.... So I had them just get some 05-08 Saab 9-3 Pads. They looked like they would work.... keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by drewbroo
VW called me, and the Hawk ceramics I ordered for the 08-09 SS were wrong? WTF... They tried to order some other ones, none for 08-09 SS/TC.... So I had them just get some 05-08 Saab 9-3 Pads. They looked like they would work.... keeping my fingers crossed.
What was the Hawk part number and where did you buy them from?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats fine, but the two local dealers to me frosted me when I brought in my oil leaking Cobalt (which I eventually fixed myself). Frankly, I see a pattern of poor dealer service with these cars by all the information I see posted on the site. Seems to me the root of all the issues must be in the way GM compensates dealers for warranty work, but who knows.

Meanwhile.... if my wifes Toyota Yaris (which was like a $12,900 car mind you) they kiss my ass everytime I bring it in for routine service. I'd let you know about how they do on warranty work, but its never needed any Even on a $29.99 oil change the thing comes back washed, vacuumed and windows clean.

Too bad Toyota got out the sports car business.

Originally Posted by emiller
Blame the dealership. GM doesn't own or run the dealerships.

Every brand has good and bad dealerships.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gimpster
Thats fine, but the two local dealers to me frosted me when I brought in my oil leaking Cobalt (which I eventually fixed myself). Frankly, I see a pattern of poor dealer service with these cars by all the information I see posted on the site. Seems to me the root of all the issues must be in the way GM compensates dealers for warranty work, but who knows.

Meanwhile.... if my wifes Toyota Yaris (which was like a $12,900 car mind you) they kiss my ass everytime I bring it in for routine service. I'd let you know about how they do on warranty work, but its never needed any Even on a $29.99 oil change the thing comes back washed, vacuumed and windows clean.

Too bad Toyota got out the sports car business.
I had a Scion tC Supercharged. It was by far the worst car I've ever owned. It had over $10k in warranty work when I finally sold it. It also took took trips to 3 dealers for them to fix it even though the problems were very common. Even the "good" one only had 1 somewhat useful or friendly person. My point is that every brand has good and bad dealers. If 1 doesn't measure up another one will if you are willing to look.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ArrogantZ
What was the Hawk part number and where did you buy them from?
I can't remember where I ordered them from. The part number was the same for all the pads on this site. (The pad thread.) But these are for an SS/SC I suspect. The 9-3 brake pads work perfectly though.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 AM

i dont know why the tards at GM didnt put brembo single pot rear calipers on these cars... absolutely retarded...

i wonder how hard it would be to swap in the EVO rear brembo calipers, it might be as easy as making a new bracket.

Last edited by Mnatvyc1223; 09-13-2009 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-13-2009, 02:45 AM

Biggest challenge would be retaining ebrake. Otherwise like you said, most likely a custom bracket and you're done.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gimpster
Biggest challenge would be retaining ebrake. Otherwise like you said, most likely a custom bracket and you're done.
could be, i would be more than willing to get some rear calipers for someone that would be wanting to try.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:56 AM

Smile

Your Complaint Information is successfully submitted. I hope this works.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:44 AM

As of 9:43AM the complaints filed are as follows with a total of 57 filed:
parking brake: 1
service brakes, hydraulic: 24

parking brake: 4
sevice brakes, air: 1
service brakes, electric: 1
service brakes, hydraulic: 26
Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by hiltu
As of 9:43AM the complaints filed are as follows with a total of 57 filed:
parking brake: 1
service brakes, hydraulic: 24

parking brake: 4
sevice brakes, air: 1
service brakes, electric: 1
service brakes, hydraulic: 26
The VW place said yesterday they have a bulletin in the system for rear brakes..... But they could not do the recall work there, it had to be at the chevrolet dealer.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by drewbroo
The VW place said yesterday they have a bulletin in the system for rear brakes..... But they could not do the recall work there, it had to be at the chevrolet dealer.
can anyone else confirm this?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

I need to verify myself.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure that bulletin is for the dealers to tell us that this wear is normal and that it's our fault.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by JoeBMX
I'm pretty sure that bulletin is for the dealers to tell us that this wear is normal and that it's our fault.
The VW tech told me that the inside rear brake calipers seem to be sticking. He said I have to get new rotors if they score as bad again. Price at VDUB place (Not GM)
Includes:

Saab 9-3 Pads
Both rotors resurfaced
Installation

So GM can go eat a ****, I should not be getting better service for my GM car at a friggin VW dealership
Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 PM

When I took mine in to be fixed the second time (the first was at 8000 miles, inner pads metal on metal, the second time at 11,500) they replaced the calipers. I just had them checked at 20,000 and they were still 10/32, so it seems like problem solved.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by JoeBMX
You are correct. It's the TSB that tells them to tell us to go play on the freeway.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 PM

Haha nice, and thats about how I felt the couple times I went to the dealer

Last new GM I buy, can guarantee you that.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just heard from an import guy over the weekend that our warranty issues are childsplay compared to what he and his car club members have to deal with.

Just because it's bad doesn't mean that the grass is greener on the other side.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, it's a dealership's call anyway. My dealer not only was okay with me installing aftermarket parts, but actually offered to do it for me. It's actual income for them and I don't expect them to cover parts or issues that aren't theirs anyway.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM

This was the first new vehicle I've bought in a long time. Like think 1998. Not saying I'll go with another vendor, just saying that if I have to work on my own car all the time why not just buy used? The reason for taking it so hard in the can on a new car is for the warranty, right?

The last vehicle I personally bought as new was a 1999 Volvo S70 T5, and it was problematic at times. However Volvo always took care of it and even always made sure I had a loaner of equal or higher value.

Looking back I would've bought the Volvo C30 T5 I was going to get instead of this car, but all things said I'm happy with this car.

Yes... I realize big difference between a Volvo and a Chevrolet, but the SS/TC and C30 T5 are in the same price bracket.

Technically my wifes 07 and 09 Yaris (traded in the 07 this year) are in my name, but I never drive them. The 07 never had an issue, and so far so good on the 09 too... but anything is possible.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Wow, I don't mean to be insulting but some of the people who posted seem to be quite dumb. I mean if your car is making a grating/squealing noise that sounds like something is broken you should get it looked at imedatly. When your brakes wear there are signs to look for or feel, like longer brake pedal travel, lower brake fluid level. When you get to a light squealing noise that is the built in wear indicator, thats when you should think- hey this sounds wrong/bad maybe i should look into this or get it looked at.
As for the uneven brake wear from inner to outter brake pads that is normal, except in extreme amounts, I can see why its higher on cobalts because of the incorperated e-brake inside of the caliper stacked on top of low drag calipers, cause some more brake wear due to the smaller mount of piston return. For rotor scoring its normal, every rotor scores, its only a problem when it causes noise, or you out new pads on scored rotors, this is caused by the resins in the brake pad melting onto the rotor, which is a good thing. For the so called agressive brake pad material it is cermaics, which like to be hot, but when the get hot they can cause increased rotor wear. If you want you can cheap out and get semi-metallic pads, but no dealership will install them because they know that you will come back pissed off because they make more noise than the cermaic pads.
For that TSB that some one mentioned it does not related to the TC, unless you want your dealership to put undersized dust shields on your car at your expense.
If your wondering where I feel that I get the right to rant like this, I have to put up with people like those in this thread who do not understand how vehicle subsystems work, or do not understand the need for regular maintance or inpections. By the way my 08 TC has 22500km and have no abnormal brake noises, and if I did I would have fixed it myself, because I would get paid to because I am a GM tech who has had enough of people bitching about every little thing because they think its broken and dont realize it just might be the way its works, because the GM engineers dont just throw together vehicles, it takes years and millions of dollars to fully develop a car from design to production.
And here is that TSB
xTooltipElement
Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Brakes | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2170217
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-05-23-003B: Front Brake Noise, Brake Pulsation, Front Brake Inner Pad Wear (Replace Front Brake Pads and Add Splash Shields) - (Jul 21, 2008)

Subject: Front Brake Noise, Brake Pulsation, Front Brake Inner Pad Wear (Replace Front Brake Pads and Add Splash Shields)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt (Excludes SS Models)

2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR (Excludes SS Models)

2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the vehicles involved in the model and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-05-23-003A (Section 05 -- Brakes).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a brake noise and/or pulsation on brake apply. This condition can be more frequent if the customer resides or travels on dirt/gravel roads and usually occurs within 11,300 km (7,000 mi) to 16,000 km (10,000 mi) intervals.

Upon investigation, the technician may find that there is considerable difference between the front brake outer and inner pad thickness.

Cause
This condition may be due dust, dirt, and debris intruding between the inner brake pad and rotor.

Correction
Road test the vehicle and confirm that the brake noise and/or pulsation is coming from the front brakes. If it is determined that the noise is coming from the front brakes and there is a measurable difference between the outer and inner pad thickness, remove the front wheel bearing/hub assembly following published SI procedures, remove the bearing/hub-to-steering knuckle spacer and replace the spacer with a splash shield on each side.

Replace the front brake pads and follow the procedures outlined in Service Bulletin 00-05-22-002J for servicing the disc brake rotors.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Model
Usage

Shield, Front Brake (RH)
HHR

(EXC SS)
All

(EXC JL9)

Cobalt/G5/Pursuit

(EXC Cobalt SS)
w/ JL9 (level 3) (296 mm rotor)

(EXC JL4)

Shield, Front Brake (LH)
HHR

(EXC SS)
All

(EXC JL9)

Cobalt/G5/Pursuit

(EXC Cobalt SS)
w/ JL9 (level 3) (296 mm rotor)

(EXC JL4)

Shield, Front Brake (RH)
Cobalt/G5/Pursuit

(EXC Cobalt SS)
w/ J41 or

JM4 & PFD/PG1 or

JM4 & NZ0/NZ6

(level 0, 1 & 2) 256 and 280 mm rotors)

Shield, Front Brake (LH)

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

H9730*
Replace Front Brake Pads and Add Splash Shields (Inc Refinish Rotors)
2.2 hrs

*This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
This is taken directly from the GM service website.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 PM

Did you read anything from this thread? People are saying at the first sign of noise they are taking them in. Then find out that there inside rear brake pad is metal on metal, and there outside rear brake pads are still 80%+. They are getting told this is "normal wear" after 20 000km or less. My car didn't even make any noise and I took mine it because of this thread. I found out that my inside rear pads were 10% and my ouside rear pads were 90%. This was after only 15,000km. My pads were replaced and my rotors were turned under warranty.

I can't go check because it's dark out here, and I'm not about to go crawl under my car to check right now, but I'm guessing that the squeeler is on the outside pad. That would be why no one hears it.

I don't know why it's happining, could be the calipers, could be the pads, could be because of no grease on the pins, could be the rotors. I don't know. But a lot of people are having this problem.

Just because you have to deal with people bitching about there car all day, doesn't mean you can come in this thread saying that because your a GM certified tech, and your car doesn't have this problem, that we shouldn't.

I'm sick of people coming in here and saying "I don't have this problem, so stop bitching. You must be doing something wrong". Congrats! You don't have this problem with your rear brakes! We do! And it's not 1 or 2 of us. There are lots of us, nevermind the people who are not on this forum.

/rant.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by sparhawk
Wow, I don't mean to be insulting but some of the people who posted seem to be quite dumb. I mean if your car is making a grating/squealing noise that sounds like something is broken you should get it looked at imedatly. When your brakes wear there are signs to look for or feel, like longer brake pedal travel, lower brake fluid level. When you get to a light squealing noise that is the built in wear indicator, thats when you should think- hey this sounds wrong/bad maybe i should look into this or get it looked at.
As for the uneven brake wear from inner to outter brake pads that is normal, except in extreme amounts, I can see why its higher on cobalts because of the incorperated e-brake inside of the caliper stacked on top of low drag calipers, cause some more brake wear due to the smaller mount of piston return. For rotor scoring its normal, every rotor scores, its only a problem when it causes noise, or you out new pads on scored rotors, this is caused by the resins in the brake pad melting onto the rotor, which is a good thing. For the so called agressive brake pad material it is cermaics, which like to be hot, but when the get hot they can cause increased rotor wear. If you want you can cheap out and get semi-metallic pads, but no dealership will install them because they know that you will come back pissed off because they make more noise than the cermaic pads.
For that TSB that some one mentioned it does not related to the TC, unless you want your dealership to put undersized dust shields on your car at your expense.
If your wondering where I feel that I get the right to rant like this, I have to put up with people like those in this thread who do not understand how vehicle subsystems work, or do not understand the need for regular maintance or inpections. By the way my 08 TC has 22500km and have no abnormal brake noises, and if I did I would have fixed it myself, because I would get paid to because I am a GM tech who has had enough of people bitching about every little thing because they think its broken and dont realize it just might be the way its works, because the GM engineers dont just throw together vehicles, it takes years and millions of dollars to fully develop a car from design to production.
And here is that TSB
xTooltipElement
Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Brakes | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2170217

#08-05-23-003B: Front Brake Noise, Brake Pulsation, Front Brake Inner Pad Wear (Replace Front Brake Pads and Add Splash Shields) - (Jul 21, 2008)

Subject: Front Brake Noise, Brake Pulsation, Front Brake Inner Pad Wear (Replace Front Brake Pads and Add Splash Shields)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt (Excludes SS Models)

2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR (Excludes SS Models)

2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2007-2008 Pontiac G5

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the vehicles involved in the model and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-05-23-003A (Section 05 -- Brakes).

(Clip)
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
This is taken directly from the GM service website.
In my case, I had severe scoring, especially on the inside at 4000 miles, but no noise yet. The local dealer made me pay to have the rotors turned at 4600 miles. The pads "looked new". CAC subsequently sent me a letter for $100 credit on my next service which will probably happen soon. At 6000 miles, the grooves are there again. I don't believe I am "bitching about every little thing" - This is a real problem. There are over 50 complaints on the NHSTA website.

Now, with your superior experience, how long do you think I should wait before I take my car in to have the brakes "fixed" again?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 AM

GOOD THREAD I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. i got an oil change and my tires rotated and the dealer goes look at this i cant warrant that its abuse. really? cause its my daily driver and i only have 6400 miles on it. your telling me even if i was abusing the **** out of this car it could not look that bad after 6000 miles. ive seen people destroy their cars and it took at least 10000 miles before we even heard a noies. im squeaking like crazy. they want to like file them down or some **** to take out the squeak. idk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Brakes FILE COMPLAINT HERE SO WE CAN GET A RECALL