08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Severe Accident W/ Pics... Ss/tc

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wantedSS/TC
I am going to get the car repaired after all at Cavallo Auto Body. I had received the same messages from many different repair shops saying that the damage (while it looks bad) is mainly cosmetic (minus the radiator and an A/C line). They work on high end cars such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, BMW, etc. They are replacing the car with all OEM parts as I asked them to not give me any aftermarket Keystone junk.

I'm also filing for Diminished Value. I had a quote of around $4,500 from a gentleman that I emailed. I have yet to contact State Farm about this, but as a third party claim, I believe I can do this in PA. Anyone have any experience with this?

Diminished value is basically what a car is worth in the same exact condition post-accident vs pre-accident. If the car was worth 20k before the accident and it's now worth 15k BECAUSE of the accident then I will get payment of 5k for the losses I incurred.
So, how much was the total price of the estimate?

P.S. Told ya it's not totalled.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:50 PM

Exclamation YET another UPDATE

Originally Posted by gr3y_f0x_n1nja
So, how much was the total price of the estimate?

P.S. Told ya it's not totalled.
State Farm quoted $10,300 form their adjuster.

Well, I have more of an update. It actually may be totaled since they started tearing it down and found out more things wrong with it. The driver's side door is sitting low, the passenger's side is sitting high, the trunk is bent, the right rear quarter panel has gaps between the rear window and sheet metal, the ECU may be damaged in which they need to replace the whole lines (by law) in stead of just the unit itself, they didn't get into the transmission, etc. yet ....
Old 03-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Well, I have more of an update. It actually may be totaled since they started tearing it down and found out more things wrong with it. The driver's side door is sitting low, the passenger's side is sitting high, the trunk is bent, the right rear quarter panel has gaps between the rear window and sheet metal, the ECU may be damaged in which they need to replace the whole lines (by law) in stead of just the unit itself, they didn't get into the transmission, etc. yet ....
Interesting. If all that is out of wack, then it should be totaled. I would not want it back. lol

Do you have GAP ins?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 PM

poor car
Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by gr3y_f0x_n1nja
Interesting. If all that is out of wack, then it should be totaled. I would not want it back. lol

Do you have GAP ins?
No because I financed an amount significantly less than what the car is worth. I'm hoping to get more than that..... we'll see

Last edited by wantedSS/TC; 03-31-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM

That is usually what happens to the cars when they are hit pretty bad. The force just keeps on going and un aligns everthing. The gaps can be fixed but now the doors are just harder.

Of course it can be fixed

but

Hopefully you get a totalled so you get a new car

Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
Do fish get thirsty???
Now I see how your post total is so high with meaningful posts like that...

As for the car, sorry to hear of that. What a bummer. It's good to see that you've found a repair shop that will work with you.

Also, please keep us posted on the issue of the loss of value. That's interesting.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Buzz65
Now I see how your post total is so high with meaningful posts like that...

As for the car, sorry to hear of that. What a bummer. It's good to see that you've found a repair shop that will work with you.

Also, please keep us posted on the issue of the loss of value. That's interesting.
I know, right? I saw that when I first started the thread ...

As for an update, there has been an estimated $20,000 worth of damage according to the auto body shop.

The body shop sent me more pics of the car, I'll post them tomorrow. The removed the inside trunk liner and found the trunk frame bent in 3 different areas. Parts of it are folded and parts of it are "crumpled". There are also gaps not just between the rear window and the quarter panel, but there are gaps between both "sail" windows as well, the right side having a "suction" dent. Adjusters have been called back out for tomorrow or Friday.

What's the best way to combat a low ball offer on the car with the adjusters, print out other ads of used cobalts with the price?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 AM

funk that print out ads of new cobalts.. you arent going to find many used 2009.. go to the dealership and get a qoute on the same exact car.

also see how much the buy back is..

Last edited by madlion; 04-02-2009 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-02-2009, 04:35 AM

The removed the inside trunk liner and found the trunk frame bent in 3 different areas. Parts of it are folded and parts of it are "crumpled". There are also gaps not just between the rear window and the quarter panel, but there are gaps between both "sail" windows as well, the right side having a "suction" dent.

I'm not a safety engineer but cars have 'crumple zones' that are part of the safety aspect of the car. Having them BEND the things you mentioned back tol their original positions would seem to compromise your safety. I would say with that in mind you have an argument to possibly get a new one. I don't want to sour your situation, because I am hopeing for the best for you...but that might be something to bring up or question.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know, right? I saw that when I first started the thread ...

As for an update, there has been an estimated $20,000 worth of damage according to the auto body shop.

The body shop sent me more pics of the car, I'll post them tomorrow. The removed the inside trunk liner and found the trunk frame bent in 3 different areas. Parts of it are folded and parts of it are "crumpled". There are also gaps not just between the rear window and the quarter panel, but there are gaps between both "sail" windows as well, the right side having a "suction" dent. Adjusters have been called back out for tomorrow or Friday.

What's the best way to combat a low ball offer on the car with the adjusters, print out other ads of used cobalts with the price?
Wow man... talk about a waste of a perfectly amazing car... it's a shame ...
If it's estimated up to 20K now I would think that they would total it... Hopefully they do man. Good luck with it all, hope things work out for the best.