08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Should I Buy an 08 Cobalt SS Turbocharged?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wangspeed
If it doesn't say G85 on the sticker, it doesn't have LSD. You cannot use a VIN search for this. That's why people tell you to look for G85. That's the correct way to identify it.

I don't know why they even bothered to make this car with non-LSD.
They wanted to charge more for the "option". LSD's are considered a performance option.

That being said, there shouldn't be any car without LSD... it makes winter driving a fuckton easier. I've gotten stuck numerous times in bad driveways because once one of the wheels on an open diff car decides it doesn't have traction, the ****** just spins while the one with traction just sits there.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wangspeed
If it doesn't say G85 on the sticker, it doesn't have LSD. You cannot use a VIN search for this. That's why people tell you to look for G85. That's the correct way to identify it.

I don't know why they even bothered to make this car with non-LSD.
I heard that if your VIN states you should have a particular part/option and it doesn't, they have to replace that part/option to match the VIN.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by apicia
I heard that if your VIN states you should have a particular part/option and it doesn't, they have to replace that part/option to match the VIN.
GMVIS has a disclaimer in it to always check the RPO sticker on the car ..... If there is a discrepancy always go with the sticker .

The Vin it's self doesn't have much info in it when decoded ......it tells you stuff like engine , body style, build plant , model year and a few others .

You get all the RPO codes from a program that looks up the cars build sheet by the Vin . So in other words...... there isn't a number or letter in your VIN that would say you have G85 or not ..... make sense? Now if you bought the car new and it was on the window sticker and put into the price of the car .......but not on the RPO sticker...... then you would have something .
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
GMVIS has a disclaimer in it to always check the RPO sticker on the car ..... If there is a discrepancy always go with the sticker .

The Vin it's self doesn't have much info in it when decoded ......it tells you stuff like engine , body style, build plant , model year and a few others .

You get all the RPO codes from a program that looks up the cars build sheet by the Vin . So in other words...... there isn't a number or letter in your VIN that would say you have G85 or not ..... make sense? Now if you bought the car new and it was on the window sticker and put into the price of the car .......but not on the RPO sticker...... then you would have something .
My buddy's dad just bought an F550? Beautiful big truck. It would lose traction when pushing snow this winter and they hated it compared to their old diesel. They had the VIN checked by the dealer and it was supposed to have a different differential. The dealership is now installing that differential. Not saying dealers are all so helpful, but I think they have to if the car is still under warranty.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boogie_69
E85 tune and bolt-ons, u cnt go wrong
Agreed, e85 makes these cars into a corn devil. If you do e85 though start saving for a clutch... the tourqe is nuts...
you will be happy on gas tuned as well. great versatile car. fun to drag race, very competitive to autox and just fun to drive.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:51 AM

I just bought a 08 SS TC two days ago from someone on this board. I drove it from OH to MN (Home) and I love it! It had 19,400 miles and he was asking $13,500. Good Luck
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MNVIKINGS
I just bought a 08 SS TC two days ago from someone on this board. I drove it from OH to MN (Home) and I love it! It had 19,400 miles and he was asking $13,500. Good Luck
That was a great deal. Autotrader search of my area showed next to none. Sweet when a forum member lives close and is selling.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 AM

Not a bad price I picked up a stock cpo 09 from a dealer I do work for with 19k for $17500 out the door. Had to add a center console though for the long drive to and from the dealer I paint at. No where near as fast as my 98 Trans Am but great on gas and allot of fun. CAI and Exhaust are in the works. I really wanted a WRX SRI bit they don't get nearly as good not. I wanted aa fun dd with good mpg and this is it.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:55 PM

My VIN said I had the G85 LSD option, but my sticker did not. It has been verified that the car indeed does have LSD.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by apicia
My VIN said I had the G85 LSD option, but my sticker did not. It has been verified that the car indeed does have LSD.
How did you verify it had LSD ? Just curious ?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 AM

How did you verify it had LSD ? Just curious ?
When the VIN said I did and the sticker did not list it, I went and laid down a few burnouts and both wheels spun.

I told my buddy that owns a shop and when we had it on the lift for DP install, we spun one front tire and the other spun in the same direction. Without pulling the axles, that is about the extent of my investigation...
Old 05-08-2011, 10:49 AM

do it!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ericgt79
do it!
It was done!