08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Suggestion and Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestion and Question

Ok i havne't posted inawhile, also my inspection is up next month, and of course my rear brakes are SHOT AGAIN!

Now my rear brakes have completly seaized 2 times and have been replaced 3 times by the dealership and even cut the rotors, every 8k miles my rear rotors LOCK and Seize, the dealership dosnt want anything to do with the car anymore at 36,000 miles.

So my point is, I need to buy new rear rotors and pads but I am barely making my car payments now with the times I am going through right now, ROUGH TIMES!
I read the sticky by isitfast and I need to do this cheaper, is there anyway I can get my rear brakes done for cheaper

btw my front brakes are prestine! rears have a total of 4 sets of pads, and 2 rotors, with 1 cut from the dealer on both, currently they are seizing on me once a week now, and rumble the car if I drive the car and brake slightly or hard, moslty my right rear is shot the worst, the dealer even replaced my entire brake line and cable system in the car! Now I have to spend my own money, and in another 8k miles they will be shot again! Regardless as soon as I get them fixed and pass inspection I am going to have to sell my ride, I love the car but hate the problems lol

Please let me know if there is another way or anything I can do, if not, don't flame and sya OMG if you read the sticky and still asked then bann, but I am in serious need of another option, I can't afford the prices in the sticky! I can borrow it from a releative if needed but rather not.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry you are on hard times, been there many times in the past.

I would recommend cutting the rotors, lubing the slide pins & putting on Hawk HPS pads. I did this myself at 9k miles and am at 48k now and the rears are still fine with better than half pad life left.

Actually, I replaced the rotors and if yours are too far gone to cut, I'd give you my stockers for the shipping price but you would have to get them cut. Shipping won't be cheap as heavy as they are though. I also backed off my parking brake to about 6-7 clicks to hold to be sure they never drag.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:02 PM

first off your name is relevant to this thread lol, I am way beyond saving these rear brakes, and they have already been cut, I guess my only option is to buy the oem rotors and pads from crate engine, or gmparts direct, I believe the total comes around 200 or maybe even slightly less for the whole rear setup, which is a great price in my opinion, but some unfortunate things have happened in my family recently and well 200 might as well be a million lol

Thanks though I will just have a buddy spot me for a little bit

thanks for the offer on the rotors, ill keep them in mind
Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Get the Hawk HPS pads for a Solstice/Sky if you can't find the SS/TC listed and be done with it. The stock pads are too aggressive for most of our driving and that is what eats up the rotors. I'll look up the part number in a bit if no one posts it first.

OEM rotors are fine.

Edit: Pads are...

Hawk Performance - HPS High Performance Street Brake Pads
Hawk Part # HB478F.605
Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM

hey wow, I will order those pads for sure then, and I guess the stock rear rotors! Thanks a bunch man!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Koz

If the brakes a seizing, wouldn't that be a caliper issue more than a rotor/pad issue? Sounds like he's been through several sets of rotors and pads.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM

You can get rotors from NAPA for $32 each. I did my WHOLE rear brake set up with rotors and saab 9-3 pads for $130 including tax. Me and my buddy did them in an hour.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Koz
If the brakes a seizing, wouldn't that be a caliper issue more than a rotor/pad issue? Sounds like he's been through several sets of rotors and pads.
Stock pads are too agressive for the rotors on a DD. Also the slide pins not lubed enough will drag a pad.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 PM

I have yet to purchase anything but looks like I am going to order rear everything and install myself hopefully this weekend, Ill look into NAPA but I searched on their site and I am not sure which ones to get

Thanks a bunch, Ill probably order on Thursday..... hopefully I don't run through these in 8,000 miles again! If I do then I'm going to kill someone lol (joking)
Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Nal

Originally Posted by wantedSS/TC
You can get rotors from NAPA for $32 each. I did my WHOLE rear brake set up with rotors and saab 9-3 pads for $130 including tax. Me and my buddy did them in an hour.
part numbers for your set up?, I'm going through this also, I looked on the napa site and the rotors start at $42 each any discounst I should be aware of? , Store Locator | NAPA Online
Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 AM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you might be able to get rear rotors for less than a hundred bucks from r1, also look on ebay
Old 11-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Nal

thanks!, I looked on their site but no option for the tc only for sc
Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
Sorry you are on hard times, been there many times in the past.

I would recommend cutting the rotors, lubing the slide pins & putting on Hawk HPS pads. I did this myself at 9k miles and am at 48k now and the rears are still fine with better than half pad life left.

Actually, I replaced the rotors and if yours are too far gone to cut, I'd give you my stockers for the shipping price but you would have to get them cut. Shipping won't be cheap as heavy as they are though. I also backed off my parking brake to about 6-7 clicks to hold to be sure they never drag.
my hps pads have 8k on them with barely any wear also .. r1 concept rotors
Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nal
thanks!, I looked on their site but no option for the tc only for sc
do a search here for r1 concepts , they don't have them in the system . either call or find the vendor r1 here ..
Old 11-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nal
part numbers for your set up?, I'm going through this also, I looked on the napa site and the rotors start at $42 each any discounst I should be aware of? , Store Locator | NAPA Online
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...-ss-tc-191044/

There ya go bud!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Nal

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
do a search here for r1 concepts , they don't have them in the system . either call or find the vendor r1 here ..
thanks I would but my wife has me by the *****, lol, she told me I have a $600 cap for playing with the car, so I'm gonna get the brakes done and then I'm gonna get tuned

Originally Posted by wantedSS/TC
thanks, they are the same part as the ones I was looking, they came up in price to $43 now, that is bullshit, I need to go in to the store and see what discounts I can get, other than mildisc
Old 11-03-2010, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by WaRRioR-StaTuS
Ok i havne't posted inawhile, also my inspection is up next month, and of course my rear brakes are SHOT AGAIN!

Now my rear brakes have completly seaized 2 times and have been replaced 3 times by the dealership and even cut the rotors, every 8k miles my rear rotors LOCK and Seize, the dealership dosnt want anything to do with the car anymore at 36,000 miles.

So my point is, I need to buy new rear rotors and pads but I am barely making my car payments now with the times I am going through right now, ROUGH TIMES!
I read the sticky by isitfast and I need to do this cheaper, is there anyway I can get my rear brakes done for cheaper

btw my front brakes are prestine! rears have a total of 4 sets of pads, and 2 rotors, with 1 cut from the dealer on both, currently they are seizing on me once a week now, and rumble the car if I drive the car and brake slightly or hard, moslty my right rear is shot the worst, the dealer even replaced my entire brake line and cable system in the car! Now I have to spend my own money, and in another 8k miles they will be shot again! Regardless as soon as I get them fixed and pass inspection I am going to have to sell my ride, I love the car but hate the problems lol

Please let me know if there is another way or anything I can do, if not, don't flame and sya OMG if you read the sticky and still asked then bann, but I am in serious need of another option, I can't afford the prices in the sticky! I can borrow it from a releative if needed but rather not.

Thanks in advance
Other than Lubing the pins, I would recommend using your hand brake REGULARLY. I actually use it when I know I'm gonna sit at a stop! This has been a weird habit of mine for some time..to preserve the brake light bulbs. Using the hand brake a lot will help keep the rear brakes *free* from sticking. Also, I get on the brakes very hard at least one a day..usually comming off the fwy. I got my car used with 8600 and the rears rotors looked like ****. I have never had a rear brake problem now with another 7K miles. The rotors are fairly smooth and they are ORIGINAL rotors and pads.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nal

thanks, they are the same part as the ones I was looking, they came up in price to $43 now, that is bullshit, I need to go in to the store and see what discounts I can get, other than mildisc
Hmm. That sucks. The set up in the rear is a little loud in cold weather (e.g. when reversing you hear a huge noise that sounds like a "whale or elephant" making noise when pressing the brakes lightly while moving). It does bother me a little bit, but with you living in N.M it shouldn't be too bad for temps
Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Nal

it gets decently cold here, lol, usually in the 30's to low 50's for the winter, and the occasional teens, lol, I'm going for the oem rotors and hawk hps is that the setup you talking about?, or you talking about the saab ones?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 PM

yeah, the saab pads. They work well in warm weather though!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Nal

hopefully them hps's are not noisy, I hate noisy brakes, lol, does anyone know if I get the quantity of 1 each for the hawk hps pads, does that come with a left and right caliper pads like a kit, or just a single side only?, reason I ask is cause I've only used stock replacements pads in the past and I always get them local and they come as a kit for the left and the right, this will be my first time getting aftermarket stuff online, don't want any surprises, I asked one of the vendors but have not gotten an answer
Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Nal

ha ha nevermind I submitted that and got a reply at the same time, don't I feel like a jackass now, by the way the answer to that is "it comes as a set for both left and right", so a normal kit