08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

thats friggin wonderfull.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats friggin wonderfull.

found out today that when i wash my car the water runs down my headlight, through the fender gap we all have and on to my cai ...... im glad i just spotted this now (2nd wash sence instalation). and figure when it rains it does the same thing : l sooo as of now their is a piece of plastic i cut duck taped under the headlight harness to shield the water..... immm sooo glad im not hydro locked right now... hydro shield asap!!!! just thought i wld share my discovery with u guys. hope u guys with cai's got hydroshields..

discuss??

Last edited by O9cobaltSS; 07-14-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 PM

i need to order asap but from where. i have the hahn cai
Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funky headlight bumper gaps ftl
Old 07-12-2010, 09:17 PM

it takes more than that to hydro lock an engine.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by jaygo7007
i need to order asap but from where. i have the hahn cai
they sell diff sizes, u shld b fine. i think...

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
Funky headlight bumper gaps ftl
gotta love em

Originally Posted by PRND3L
it takes more than that to hydro lock an engine.
thats good to know, idk to much about it

Last edited by O9cobaltSS; 07-12-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 PM

ive had the hahn cai for a year now and had no problems with water and ive driven through some heavy rain
Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by occsdude
ive had the hahn cai for a year now and had no problems with water and ive driven through some heavy rain
hmmm.. idk man, im just gunna b safe n get the hydro shield.. water dripping on an intake just dosent sound good
Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 AM

whef you drive in the rain it gets wet anyway, to actually hydrolock you will have to submerge the filter under water.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just think of it as cooling the air charge.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
Just think of it as cooling the air charge.
hahah
Old 07-13-2010, 02:42 PM

The amount of water that would get sucked into your CAI during rain would evaporate quickly in the engine probably before it even gets into the cylinders when running. The small amount that would make it though is so minuscule that it is harmless. The only way to hydro-lock is to have enough water go in to fill a cylinder and you would have to submerge the intake while running or have a head gasket blow right between a water port in the block and head to a cylinder or a nice crack in the block does it too.

I think this is also why they use poly air filters on CAI's instead of paper so they don't deteriorate from water. Just think you clean the poly air filter at the same time and the water steaming through the engine will break down any crud and deposits in your engine.

We used to have to suck water into the late 80's and early 90's Toyota's 1.5 liter engines that were in the Tercel's as they used to carbon up really bad after 80,000 or so and the steam it created in the engine would loosen it all up and blow it out as we revved them up .
Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Audacity
The amount of water that would get sucked into your CAI during rain would evaporate quickly in the engine probably before it even gets into the cylinders when running. The small amount that would make it though is so minuscule that it is harmless. The only way to hydro-lock is to have enough water go in to fill a cylinder and you would have to submerge the intake while running or have a head gasket blow right between a water port in the block and head to a cylinder or a nice crack in the block does it too.

I think this is also why they use poly air filters on CAI's instead of paper so they don't deteriorate from water. Just think you clean the poly air filter at the same time and the water steaming through the engine will break down any crud and deposits in your engine.

We used to have to suck water into the late 80's and early 90's Toyota's 1.5 liter engines that were in the Tercel's as they used to carbon up really bad after 80,000 or so and the steam it created in the engine would loosen it all up and blow it out as we revved them up .

interesting, maaaby i wont bother with the hydroshield then...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in Florida and you haven't seen rain like we get here from time to time. I've got the CIA CAI and have had no problems. In truly heavy rain, quite often, I've felt some sluggishness in the car but I've chalked that up to my fat tires pushing water out of the way. WAY back when bombers had props they used a water injection system to make extra HP. Water contains oxygen, cools the incoming charge and combustion chamber temps. But, like what has been said here, if you completely submerge the intake? Water does NOT compress. BOOM!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
I'm in Florida and you haven't seen rain like we get here from time to time. I've got the CIA CAI and have had no problems. In truly heavy rain, quite often, I've felt some sluggishness in the car but I've chalked that up to my fat tires pushing water out of the way. WAY back when bombers had props they used a water injection system to make extra HP. Water contains oxygen, cools the incoming charge and combustion chamber temps. But, like what has been said here, if you completely submerge the intake? Water does NOT compress. BOOM!
yea id think im gunna bother getting one, maby in the future if got some money to waste..