08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.
View Poll Results: When did you first notice rotor scoring/grinding? If no issue, how many mi on SS/TC?
Problem @ 1-5000 mi
25.61%
Problem @ 5001-10000 mi
15.63%
Problem @ 10001-15000 mi
7.53%
Problem @ 15001+ mi
7.34%
No Problem @ 1-5000 mi
8.10%
No Problem @ 5001-10000 mi
4.52%
No Problem @ 10001-15000 mi
3.39%
No Problem @ 15001+ mi
5.65%
Voted just to see results
22.22%
Voters: 531. You may not vote on this poll

Wearing rear brakes? Come in

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time brakes were replaced was 12K, now at 20K same exact problem. Dealership says after 18K it is no longer their problem. So I questioned it stating how can you guys sell me a product with an obvious defect and not take the responsibility to fix it, its not normal wear and tear. The service managers response; "it's environmental damage, sand getting stuck on the pads." Funny how this is the only car i've owned thats done it. None the less i called the chevy satisfaction hotline and they'll be getting a case put together to see what they can do.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Offroad vehicles that operate in the desert don't even have this problem. Blame it on improper pad formulation, or ditch the stock pads ASAP for aftermarket.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 PM

So now CAC is saying that it doesn't matter what the other dealerships and forms say and that I have to get a Chevrolet dealership to agree that the inner rear rotors are failing from manufacturing defect. So rear rotors are in the mail and I give up with this issue.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by dthomp2366
So now CAC is saying that it doesn't matter what the other dealerships and forms say and that I have to get a Chevrolet dealership to agree that the inner rear rotors are failing from manufacturing defect. So rear rotors are in the mail and I give up with this issue.
I think we've all went through this. Its all BS and the sad part is, you have to talk to about 4 different people that don't even know what ROTORS ARE AND BARLEY SPEAK ENGLISH!!! Then it gets transferred to some other; at least English speaking nitwit that isn't mechanically inclined or even car savy... Only to tell you that there is nothing they can do!!! They ended up telling me that my rear brake warranty was voided because I bought new pads and resurfaced my rotors myself. I told them: GOOD! Because obviously the warranty wasn't worth anything ANYWAY!!! ::HANGUP:: Oh, and by the way the pins were bone dry also... So they weren't traveling back and forth they way they should of.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM

I bought my used 09 SS/TC in Nashville on July 15, with about 3300 miles, and drove it home 900 miles. It now has 4400 miles, and the serious grooves are there, especially on both inboard rotors. They were probably there when I bought it, but weren't obvious because of the normal flash rust on the rotors. It had been on the lot since January. It was put into service on Sept 02,2008 as a GM fleet car. The local dealer offered to resurface the rotors AT MY EXPENSE! I have reported the problem to NHSTA, emailed the dealership I bought from, and will contact CAC next.

This reminds me of an issue we had with my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. After paying for 2 brake jobs, and running out of warranty, Chrysler had a recall for cars under warranty only. After the second brake job with improved Chrysler rotors, I haven't had any further problems. I still have a little burr under my saddle when I think Chrysler.

Bill Dayton
95 Corvette, 09 Cobalt SS
Old 07-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Billdayton
I bought my used 09 SS/TC in Nashville on July 15, with about 3300 miles, and drove it home 900 miles. It now has 4400 miles, and the serious grooves are there, especially on both inboard rotors. They were probably there when I bought it, but weren't obvious because of the normal flash rust on the rotors. It had been on the lot since January. It was put into service on Sept 02,2008 as a GM fleet car. The local dealer offered to resurface the rotors AT MY EXPENSE! I have reported the problem to NHSTA, emailed the dealership I bought from, and will contact CAC next.

This reminds me of an issue we had with my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. After paying for 2 brake jobs, and running out of warranty, Chrysler had a recall for cars under warranty only. After the second brake job with improved Chrysler rotors, I haven't had any further problems. I still have a little burr under my saddle when I think Chrysler.

Bill Dayton
Sorry you're having the same problems we are. Hopefully they will fix it for you under warranty. I was lucky enough to get mine fixed. Just had mine done last week and I'm installing some better brake pads (Hawk HPS) as soon as they arrive (prly tomorrow) because I don't trust the stock pads.

Hope you enjoy your balt. Other than a few little things its really a great car. I love it.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:21 PM

After a morning on the phone with CAC, I got a case #, and still need to have the work done at MY OWN EXPENSE! Of course, I didn't really expect more, but I had a chance to vent!

With all the complaints of this problem you would think more than 5 complaints would be filed with the NHSTA.at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. Here is a link to the complaint summaryies on 2009 Cobalt SS brake failure:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm

Last edited by Billdayton; 07-29-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 PM

I thought I was in the clear on this problem since I had gone 20k+ and not had any major issues. My rotors were very scored but I had no scraping noise so I was figured I was good. At 21,000 I got the scraping noise so brought it to the dealer just for the hell of it; inside pads were completely gone. I think mostly because of the help of a member on these boards that works in the service department my rotors and pads were replaced under warranty at over 21K miles, within 2 days. So thank you to him and for those of you with this problem... press your dealers, they definitely can make it happen if they really want to.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Alright I'm gonna post some pictures and I need your advice.

I have an appointment in the morning to have it looked at. This is inner and outer pics of driverside rear.

Is it worth my time? CLICK ON PICS

Old 07-29-2009, 01:49 AM

My dad's a GM tech and he said he read a bulletin on our cars saying the up to 1.5mm grooves are acceptable wear on rotors. Just wait till they are that deep or close to it and mention that to the Service guy. Next time I see my parents I'll get on GM's private site and get the proper info.

I have a groove in about that same spot. I wonder if its casting flash on our junk calipers.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Alright I'm gonna post some pictures and I need your advice.

I have an appointment in the morning to have it looked at. This is inner and outer pics of driverside rear.

Is it worth my time? CLICK ON PICS

I would say it's not worth the time, but maybe you just want to get something on record like I did. They're not going to fix it, though. I'm already sourcing rotors. Maybe I'll look into some Brembo rears.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 AM

I have over 17k on mine and noticed the problem the other day, along with some weather issues, but the dealership asked if I e-brake slid alot and I laughed at the thought of that, tires are expensive enough and I dont want to ruin them is what i told them, they are taking care of the problem but is this going to be an issue I run into again, I guess there is no telling when this first started because I always have the radio on and dont normal notice noises

anyone having any issue with the ac leaking into the glove box by any chance
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Saab rotors are due in the mail anyday now. Chevy will not fix the rears on our cars and CAC will side with the dealerships. Cut your losses and go purchase some rotors if you can. I tried the internet and all the local parts stores only find that no one has them.

I'll post pics and let you know how the Saab rotors and Hawk pads go. I no longer have any braking in the rear, grinding, and thumping.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:22 PM

After a morning on the phone with CAC, I got a case #, and still need to have the work done at MY OWN EXPENSE! Of course, I didn't really expect more, but I had a chance to vent!

With all the complaints of this problem you would think more than 5 complaints would be filed with the NHSTA.at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. Here is a link to the complaint summaryies on 2009 Cobalt SS brake failure:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm
5?????? I filed a complaint AND a SECOND follow up complaint the second time it happened. I got a second case number that time, so are you saying that I alone have filed 2 out of 5 complaints? No way thats accurate.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:03 PM

NHSTA Complaints

Originally Posted by redninja6r
5?????? I filed a complaint AND a SECOND follow up complaint the second time it happened. I got a second case number that time, so are you saying that I alone have filed 2 out of 5 complaints? No way thats accurate.
My complaint is at the top of the list, and I am guessing this quote is from your second complaint (the fourth on the list): "MY ORIGINAL COMPLAINT IS 10263782. I NOW HAVE TO HAVE THE REAR BRAKE PADS REPLACED AGAIN. WENT FROM NEW TO 3/32 IN LESS THAN 4000 MILES. IN LESS THAN 12,000 MILES THE REAR INNER PADS HAVE BEEN REPLACED TWICE AND THE ROTORS RESURFACED ONCE. *TR"

Your first complaint, 10263782, is the fifth on the list. So, yes, you and I have three of the five complaints listed. There are only 3 listed on 08 Cobalt SSs.

I had the rotors turned at my expense. They said the pads looked virtually new! We'll see how long it lasts.

Billdayton
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM

I'm having them changed under warranty tomorrow. It's been an issue for a few months now but this week it has become ridiculous.
Something is even sticking to the disks when I'm driving...
I will definitely not appreciate going to the dealer twice a year for four frekkin hours to get those swapped. They better find a solution.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM

the dealership here fixed mine :-) but the guy at the dealership asked me to send him this link via email so he can forward it to his gm rep, ill file a complant to if someone pm's me on how to do so
Old 07-29-2009, 06:10 PM

My complaint is at the top of the list, and I am guessing this quote is from your second complaint (the fourth on the list): "MY ORIGINAL COMPLAINT IS 10263782. I NOW HAVE TO HAVE THE REAR BRAKE PADS REPLACED AGAIN. WENT FROM NEW TO 3/32 IN LESS THAN 4000 MILES. IN LESS THAN 12,000 MILES THE REAR INNER PADS HAVE BEEN REPLACED TWICE AND THE ROTORS RESURFACED ONCE. *TR"

Your first complaint, 10263782, is the fifth on the list. So, yes, you and I have three of the five complaints listed. There are only 3 listed on 08 Cobalt SSs.

I had the rotors turned at my expense. They said the pads looked virtually new! We'll see how long it lasts.

Billdayton
Ya know, that pisses me off I'm not even sure why. But you and I have 60% of the official complaints filed NATIONWIDE and the NHSTA link was even posted earlier in this thread. So OF COURSE GM isn't going to address the issue because every single person in this thread did not file a COMPLAINT. A big "tough ****" from me to you because none of ya took any steps to solve the problem other than complain about it. If you just went aftermarket and fixed it yourself, yay for you but you could at least have filed a complaint for the many many people who expect GM to honor their warranty and correct a defect in good faith. WTF people.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 PM

NHTSA Complaint database

Billdayton
I downloaded the entire NHTSA ODI Complaint database. There are a total of 9 Cobalt SS complaints. One is a tire complaint, and 8 are rear brake complaints - 3 on 2008s & 5 on 2009s. States represented are CA, PA (two complaints on one car), MI (two towns), OH, IA, & KS.

There is a lot of talk on this forum, but only 7 people bothered to file a complaint with the NHTSA. It is easy to do online. B****ing on this forum won't get anything done, but filing complaints with NTHSA could. Congratulations to the people with good dealerships this time, but the rest of us could use some help.

billdayton
95 Corvette (for sale), 09 Balt SS

Originally Posted by redninja6r
Ya know, that pisses me off I'm not even sure why. But you and I have 60% of the official complaints filed NATIONWIDE and the NHSTA link was even posted earlier in this thread. So OF COURSE GM isn't going to address the issue because every single person in this thread did not file a COMPLAINT. A big "tough ****" from me to you because none of ya took any steps to solve the problem other than complain about it. If you just went aftermarket and fixed it yourself, yay for you but you could at least have filed a complaint for the many many people who expect GM to honor their warranty and correct a defect in good faith. WTF people.
Well said, but I guess everybody had their first repair done and forgot this thread! How many will be back when it happens again, and they have even less chance of a warranty repair?

Originally Posted by Frank B
I'm having them changed under warranty tomorrow. It's been an issue for a few months now but this week it has become ridiculous.
Something is even sticking to the disks when I'm driving...
I will definitely not appreciate going to the dealer twice a year for four frekkin hours to get those swapped. They better find a solution.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

billdayton
95 Corvette (for sale), 09 Balt SS

Last edited by Billdayton; 07-29-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM

Posted mine to nhtsa... Maybe this will get something done. It is completely unacceptable (wear item my ass) for GM to say its our fault for the rear brakes...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM

What difference does the nhtsa complaint make? We all have cases with Chevy and its gone nowhere. I mean I don't mind filing but what is the overall goal of filing with them?

Just a little confused...
Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dthomp2366
What difference does the nhtsa complaint make? We all have cases with Chevy and its gone nowhere. I mean I don't mind filing but what is the overall goal of filing with them?

Just a little confused...
We know Chevy isn't going to do anything on their own. However, if enough complaints are made to the NHSTA, they can investigate and force a recall. That's how most safety recalls happen.

Billdayton
95 Corvette (for sale), 09 Cobalt SS
Old 07-30-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I will post the work order when it's done.

Reliable Chevy
Springfield, MO

They are replacing pads and resurfacing rotors. Also doing alignment under warranty.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 PM

We know Chevy isn't going to do anything on their own. However, if enough complaints are made to the NHSTA, they can investigate and force a recall. That's how most safety recalls happen.

Billdayton
95 Corvette (for sale), 09 Cobalt SS
oh ok understood well I'll do it when I get home.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Um..... I am getting a pair of rear rotors and pads in a few days.. They are free, because I kept my warranty.

I told the GM head tech that the problem started at around 7k miles ( i have 15k now and rear pads are gone, rotors groved to hell) somehow, that is my fault

When I explain "Well sir, the problem actually started at 7 k miles, I am just a newb and didn't notice) He says OK.

**** the system, whatever it may be. Government, cars dealership.

Quick Reply: Wearing rear brakes? Come in