2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

the best two performance upgrades????

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best two performance upgrades????

hey all, i have been told that if you could only get 2 performance upgrades for the cobalt ss/tc, those 2 would be the gm stage kit and aftermarket charge piping. others have said the gm stage kit and a downpipe with a high flow cat? what do you think? i heard the stock cat back flows good and the stock intake is sufficient.

and another question that is related to the previous, if you did the stage kit with charge piping OR stage kit with downpipe, would you do downpipe and charge piping first then have gm install stage kit or would it matter what went on first??? thanx again.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
downpipe first.

stage kit isnt out yet.

2.5 in DP is restricting.

do the DP first then stage kit
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Personally I would do GM stage kit first so GM doesn't try to void the warranty you work so hard to keep
Old 03-17-2009, 04:46 PM

downpipe and exhaust ...i got my d/p thru cia... waiting on it tho
Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM

same here. i just ordered it today.

they said a couple weeks?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM

I thought the downpipe was 2 3/4. Thats what my muffler guy said when he measured it.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a picture of the stock downpipe around here somewhere. If you see that pic, you'll understand why everybody thinks something different. There are so many bends, dips, twists, and pits in it that it's hard to figure out a good place to measure.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 PM

reason i said DP is because when gm gives u a tune, the DP will already be installed. inless they dont tune the car to each specific one. just pretty much a canned tune?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by reign1
reason i said DP is because when gm gives u a tune, the DP will already be installed. inless they dont tune the car to each specific one. just pretty much a canned tune?
Yes it's a can tune.

Also the cat-back is good till low 300whp.

It doesn't need to be changed on a stock vehicle.

The D/P is the limiting factor in the exhaust.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:44 PM

i thought it was a canned tune.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 PM

i know. once u pretty much get the upgrade, you need at least a muffler delete or a good flowing 3 in exhuast.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 PM

boost tubing kit and 3" catless down pipe from cia. why? they are the two most restrictive oem parts. Then as those of us who wish to keep our warranty we are still *&*^%^&*^&%% waiting for lnf turbo upgrade to be released! If your warranty is not a concern then get a tune as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:50 PM

wait what? Charge piping and 3 in catless DP fromCIA are restrictive?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 PM

wait what? Charge piping and 3 in catless DP fromCIA are restrictive?
That's what I thought he said too. Makes no sense.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 PM

yea, that's what i was concerned about. there seems to be pros and cons with either scenario. for example, if you do the charge piping and/or the downpipe first , THEN the gm stage kit....... true, maybe gm might void your warranty. if that would be the case, your warranty advantage of doing the gm kit would be lost. i mean, i'm sure they would still do the install but after that???? that would be the CONS, the PROS would be that install would be compatible with the 'already put on' mods. (or would it even matter, since it is not a custom tune????

does that gm kit have the flexibility and excess 'ceiling' built into it so as to allow more power with each additional mod after it? if not, then the dp and charge piping are useless. or maybe one can experience additional power gains with mods put on after the kit installation but that additional power increase would cause a breeching of the kits parameters thus voiding your warranty and possibly causing engine damage.

i know this is alot to digest , but i've seen this happen with other cars that went throught this scenario, they threw a CEL, screwed up their air/fuel ratios, ran super lean then boost creep and so on!!!! arghhh, this is too much for my brain to handle!!!! someone set me straight

Last edited by cresintern; 03-17-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:59 PM

ok dude

its a canned reserved tune

no matter if u do CP or a DP. it wont lean u out that much if at all

I ported my blower with my SC. plus a CAi and exhaust. and still wasnt lean. youll be fine.

it wont void the warranty bc the only thing to void the powertrain warranty would be work to the actualy motor (custom tune, bigger turbo, etc)

but bolt ons are fine.

dont listen to the guy bout the DP

seriously. the DP is the most restrive part of the airflow. second is the Charge piping. but you will get more for ur money out of the DP.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 PM

ok, understood about the warranty part, thank you, but what about the safe power gains issue? if you do the dp and cp AFTER the gm kit install will more SAFE power be added? not to hark on my former car (STI) but there were guys with that car that installed the cobb accessport (subie's version of gm kit) FIRST before any other mods THEN they went and installed a bunch of bolt on stuff. they were all surprised to see that despite putting on all those bolt on's that there was not much power to be gained because the previously installed cobb accessport wiith all it's strict parameters blocked any further power gains from the bolt on's. and the guys that did experience power gains AFTER putting on the accessport then doing bolt on's all ended up throwing CELS.

bottom line: the cobb accessport had no flexibility or additional ceiling built into it. the only way out of that ceiling would be the custom tune on top of it. hope that makes it more understandable. and yes I know that every tuning system is different as well as each cars ecu's learning ability..... please don't start yelling at me bout this, i'm still a new balt ss/tc owner!! thanx
Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
That's what I thought he said too. Makes no sense.
little boys slow down and read the post " it say "they are the most restrictive OEM parts that is why I suggested those as my prefered upgrades. read,comprehend then post
Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 PM

um anyways.

its not the same way with the TC. 2 different makers. 2 entirely different beasts.

There are upgrades.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 PM

same here. i just ordered it today.

they said a couple weeks?
i doubt a couple of weeks
Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 PM

its what beth said. but i know thats prolly wrong.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
downpipe first.

stage kit isnt out yet.

2.5 in DP is restricting.

do the DP first then stage kit
Stock DP is restrictive but it is actually 3". The Catback is 2.5" but it actually flows much better than the DP (stock cats). If I could have just two mods it would be a tune and chargepiping, but why pick just two?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM

Could Someone Please Lend Their Expertise With This Quote?

Originally Posted by cresintern
yea, that's what i was concerned about. there seems to be pros and cons with either scenario. for example, if you do the charge piping and/or the downpipe first , THEN the gm stage kit....... true, maybe gm might void your warranty. if that would be the case, your warranty advantage of doing the gm kit would be lost. i mean, i'm sure they would still do the install but after that???? that would be the CONS, the PROS would be that install would be compatible with the 'already put on' mods. (or would it even matter, since it is not a custom tune????

does that gm kit have the flexibility and excess 'ceiling' built into it so as to allow more power with each additional mod after it? if not, then the dp and charge piping are useless. or maybe one can experience additional power gains with mods put on after the kit installation but that additional power increase would cause a breeching of the kits parameters thus voiding your warranty and possibly causing engine damage.

i know this is alot to digest , but i've seen this happen with other cars that went throught this scenario, they threw a CEL, screwed up their air/fuel ratios, ran super lean then boost creep and so on!!!! arghhh, this is too much for my brain to handle!!!! someone set me straight
PLEASE READ THE ABOVE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK
Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 PM

if your going with a hi flow cat your going to void your warranty anyways. I asked a dealer last time about one and gm frowns upon changing the cat. So since your already voiding it you may as well get an aftermarket tune. plus why wait for GM anyhow there in a financial crisis lol. I personaly did the Hahn intake and cat-back first, and iv got CIA's charge piping coming in this week. When i get some more money im getting there DP w/hi-flow cat and electric cutoff. then by june at the latest ill have an HP tuner tune on it.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Ok, Sounds Like Some People Are Doing All The Bolt Ons First Then A Non Gm Custom Tune And Taking Chances With Warranty? Heck I Did That With My Sti And Never Had A Problem I Guess You Really Can't Squeeze Extra Power Out Of That Gm Stage Kit Without Voiding Warranty. But Damn, Can't They Atleast Allow You To Change The Plastic Charge Piping Without Voiding?

Quick Reply: the best two performance upgrades????