2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Cold Side Charge Pipe Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Side Charge Pipe Suggestions?

Is it even worth upgrading? Every place I go the price for that short piece of pipe is obnoxious... any suggestions guys because that's the only thing I got left before full bolt ons.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes i would say its worth it i have a hahn piece i will be selling a a couple weeks when i add in my zzp one i will charge fairly for it. its blk polished
Old 01-26-2013, 12:59 PM

i really wouldnt see much of a point in upgrading it for what the thing costs
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Absolutely not worth replacing, if you're not relocating the MAF.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM

do not relocate your MAF

according to someone, heat exchanged produce humidity and can **** up the MAF.

i may be wrong about it, if someone can correct me about this
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM

i agree, everyone seems to have a problem when relocating the maf. sensor goes bad and problems with boost. i would recommend the zzp cold side charge pipe if ur trying to get fully bolted
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 PM

I was going to keep the maf where it is... the issue is the fact that it's 200+ bucks for a foot of pipe :-\
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Aleksey
I was going to keep the maf where it is... the issue is the fact that it's 200+ bucks for a foot of pipe :-\

Because your paying for the time to r&d make fixtures and someones labor time to build it. If its so easy build it yourself otherwise buy one and quit complaining. Sorry if I'm coming across as an ass but I'm tired of people crying about how expensive things are when the cost of materials keep going up yet you can't charge someone more because they won't buy or because no ones wages really increase so they don't have extra cash.

Pwerks sells a cold side for 175

As far as Maf relocates go I ran one for 30k with no issues but I swapped back to an Efr over my 5557 and didn't need the Maf relocate anymore
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM

I had the Treadstone one. Nice piece but I didn't see any difference or improvement in anything. Waste of money to upgrade.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 PM

I like all of turbo XS stuff except the cold side pipe. Hate to knock it but it doesn't fit properly with the 3 bar map sensors. They mount the weird because it only being the one hole to mount it and it hits the fan shroud and cut the rubber on the harness. So I switched back to stock.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Frogstofall
I had the Treadstone one. Nice piece but I didn't see any difference or improvement in anything. Waste of money to upgrade.
For a stock turbo car its a waste i guess but I feel anytime you can eliminate the plastic its not a waste

Last edited by Omiotek; 01-27-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
Because your paying for the time to r&d make fixtures and someones labor time to build it. If its so easy build it yourself otherwise buy one and quit complaining. Sorry if I'm coming across as an ass but I'm tired of people crying about how expensive things are when the cost of materials keep going up yet you can't charge someone more because they won't buy or because no ones wages really increase so they don't have extra cash.

Pwerks sells a cold side for 175

As far as Maf relocates go I ran one for 30k with no issues but I swapped back to an Efr over my 5557 and didn't need the Maf relocate anymore
the issue wasn't the price, it's the price to worthiness ratio... like K&N SRI is a short piece of pipe with a metal box but it has value and worthiness with gains.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Aleksey
the issue wasn't the price, it's the price to worthiness ratio... like K&N SRI is a short piece of pipe with a metal box but it has value and worthiness with gains.
it depends how you look at it. any time you can free up air flow you will prove gains..... the plastic lower pipe has a little kink in it and im sure if you really did testing on it you would see a gain going to a perfectly round metal pipe. is it going to be minimal? yes it will be but sometimes guys try to squeeze every little bit that they can out of their car.

my road race regulations use to be 2 points for a charge pipe system and 2 points for an intake. now they are combined together for 2 points for a complete charge system. i upgraded the pipe because the cobalt and my bosses solstice are both under powdered when compared to some other cars. so we tried squeezing every little bit out of both cars. although the solsice cold pipe is a lot more restrictive then the cobalts cold side we still did it to get every last bit we could from each car.

the k&n is somewhat a piece of junk imho. out of everything available its the best/nicest but they use extremely thin wall aluminum that is very easy to crush....... ive had to take off a number of customer installed intakes and either its crushed where the filter clamps are or where the intake meets the turbo. i mean worm clamps shouldnt be able to crush an aluminum pipe with such ease but the k&n is the best one out.

and like i said you would be suprised how much r&d goes into a small pipe to make it fit and work as good as possible. the charge pipes we build are 2.75" neck down to 2.5" and we offer a metal pipe to replace the huge silicone couple that most use from the intercooler to hotside pipe. also we do a 2.75" lower pipe. making the sensor flange right so you can add 3 bars and not hit the fan and so forth. when we did the initial r&d on my car with the big turbo we could literally watch the piping expand and contract under accel and decel. it was pretty crazy

so i guess what it comes down to is personal preference. if you want it get it. if not dont get it.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
I want to revive this thread because it didn't give me the answer I was looking for. I had the Hahn installed but the fitment with the GMS1 sensor was messed up and tore through my A/C harness. So I put the stock pipe back on. Now I'm about to install the ZFR and I figure I need the strength of an aftermarket pipe. Which one do you guys recommend, that doesn't interfere with the relocated GMS1 MAP sensor?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by colodude18
I want to revive this thread because it didn't give me the answer I was looking for. I had the Hahn installed but the fitment with the GMS1 sensor was messed up and tore through my A/C harness. So I put the stock pipe back on. Now I'm about to install the ZFR and I figure I need the strength of an aftermarket pipe. Which one do you guys recommend, that doesn't interfere with the relocated GMS1 MAP sensor?
Wait are you running all that torque on a stock clutch? Hows that treating it? and the LCP is the last piece I will be spending my money on lol.. Stock seems fine.. A guy on here. Actually I think its FastGTI has stock charge pipes and hes running a ZFR. Someone is.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobe
Wait are you running all that torque on a stock clutch? Hows that treating it? and the LCP is the last piece I will be spending my money on lol.. Stock seems fine.. A guy on here. Actually I think its FastGTI has stock charge pipes and hes running a ZFR. Someone is.
Yep, stock clutch. Remember though that I'm a mile high in Colorado so adjust those numbers in my sig down by 25-30 percent. Part of my ZFR install will be a CM Stage 4 clutch though. Anyone else think I'll be OK with the stock lower CP? A buddy of mine blew his on stock turbo and he wasn't even on ethanol...