2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Build

Ok guys, I know some of you may hate me because over the past month I've opened a few threads regarding individual parts, but now I've decided to open a thread about all the parts I want to buy to explain what I want to do exactly to my engine once and forever, because I'm hoping to get the right advices from people that know much more than me about it, and I know that they are a lot out there. Most of you know that I own two 2009 T/Cs, and that I intend to keep one for daily driving by installing just bolts on and a tune (from BYT) and to build the other one to the extreme to start using it for fun.
- On the one to be kept as DD I have the BC coilovers, and I want to get all Hahn bolts on, such as catless downpipe and catback exhaust, Hahn CAI, Hahn FMIC and charge pipes, and a tune from BYT.
- On the one that I want to build for fun I already have:
AutoWerks turbo kit 55/57 with catless downpipe
Custom exhaust built by BYT
Hahn FMIC with charge pipes (the upper one is the one that came with the AutoWerks kit)
OTTP stage 2 transmission mounts
TTR upper motor mount
Clutchmaster Stage 4 clutch
Clutchmaster flywheel
H&R 15mm wheel spacer in the front
H&R 5mm wheel spacer in the rear
Pedders Xa Coilovers with camber plates
Eibach front and rear anti sway bars
TTR rack spacer
R1 Concept premium rotors drilled and slotted
Hawk HP+ pads
ZZP brake lines
Sparco grip pedals
TWM sts with weighted knob, base bushings and cable clamp
Momo Pitstop carbon fiber e-brake
SS floor mats from Modern Performance
Gauges from Black Cat Customs
ZZP triple A-Pillar pod with Autometer C2 gauges (not yet installed)
BuyHIDs dual cluster gauge pod with Autometer C2 gauges (not yet installed)
Sparco black seat belt covers front and rear

After the winter I intend to build the engine, and I'm asking advices because I have to start saving from now so I would like to know what I will need. What I'm thinking is:
- Wiseco pistons
- Carrillo H-Beam rods
- Darton sleeves (not yet sure about it)
- ZZP ported head/cam combo
- Supertech .5mm oversized inconel valves
- Meth kit
- Level 5 axles from DriveShaftShop
- ZZP Stage 2 transmission

I have a question and a doubt.

Question: TTR sells the 88mm wiseco for the LNF. I would love to bore my engine. Did anybody do it? How is the car running? I've spoke to Darton and they told me that I can send them the pistons and they will bore their sleeves for them. Would the block get too weak? Keep on mind that I don't floor often.

Doubt: Can I run the oversized valves with the ZZP camshafts? Did anybody do it? How is the car running?

My goal would be to reach 600whp. That would be great, but if I reach 550whp would still be fine.

I really thank you guys in advance for your help and advices. I hope I'm not getting too annoying, but before spending this kind of money, I want to be sure of what I'm getting
Christian
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM

For the dd get the treadstone stuff its less expensive and flows ALOT of air so its super efficient... I like my stuff it works very well... you can't go wrong with BYT doing an HP tune on it he does amazing stuf from what I have read.

On the racer, I would have waited for the ZZP EFR turbo upgrade. Use ZZP's gnarly cylinder heads with stage 2 cams and valves and a port job which run the HPFP faster for more fuel pressure. I like the TTR mounts, I use them for the tras as well... Get the ZZP stage 2 trans with the 4.45 final drive gear... not sure why you want to run spacers but that's your call... I run a 245/45r18 tire on an 18x8 wheel no problem so I would say get a wheel with proper backspacing and you will be fine... just recommendations though its your car but the build you have planned seems good
Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by RyRidesMotox
For the dd get the treadstone stuff its less expensive and flows ALOT of air so its super efficient... I like my stuff it works very well... you can't go wrong with BYT doing an HP tune on it he does amazing stuf from what I have read.

On the racer, I would have waited for the ZZP EFR turbo upgrade. Use ZZP's gnarly cylinder heads with stage 2 cams and valves and a port job which run the HPFP faster for more fuel pressure. I like the TTR mounts, I use them for the tras as well... Get the ZZP stage 2 trans with the 4.45 final drive gear... not sure why you want to run spacers but that's your call... I run a 245/45r18 tire on an 18x8 wheel no problem so I would say get a wheel with proper backspacing and you will be fine... just recommendations though its your car but the build you have planned seems good
Thanks for the advice about Treadstone. As far as the cams, I thought ZZP only makes stage 1 for the LNF.
But anyway by biggest doubt is concerning the bore. Don't know if I wanna stay 86mm or go 88mm.
I run spacers because the Cobalt lowered looks like a train, so I wanted the rims to be flush with the fenders
Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by AyrtonSenna
Thanks for the advice about Treadstone. As far as the cams, I thought ZZP only makes stage 1 for the LNF.
But anyway by biggest doubt is concerning the bore. Don't know if I wanna stay 86mm or go 88mm.
I run spacers because the Cobalt lowered looks like a train, so I wanted the rims to be flush with the fenders
My bad... finger slip... http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...une-Combo.aspx

Definitely drop for the 4.45 gears on the trans though, since its gong to be a track car.

I know running spacers are safe and all... but I dunno I just never liked doing it. I was always taught (in school, and in practice) that it puts extra strain on the bearings and it puts increased leverage on the lugs... I know, I know but teaching me something different is like trying a tennis ball through a brick wall.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 PM

My bad... finger slip... ZZPerformance - LNF Ported Head, Cams, Tune Combo #17-02-01466

Definitely drop for the 4.45 gears on the trans though, since its gong to be a track car.

I know running spacers are safe and all... but I dunno I just never liked doing it. I was always taught (in school, and in practice) that it puts extra strain on the bearings and it puts increased leverage on the lugs... I know, I know but teaching me something different is like trying a tennis ball through a brick wall.
It's ok, I have the longer studs on all 4 wheels, 54mm of the Corvette C6.
The 4.45 tranny ratio is shorter than stock right? It should also help the turbo kicking in faster?
But the main thing is: do you know anything either good or bad about boring the block? That's what I'm really looking into it
Old 11-16-2011, 10:20 PM

It's ok, I have the longer studs on all 4 wheels, 54mm of the Corvette C6.
The 4.45 tranny ratio is shorter than stock right? It should also help the turbo kicking in faster?
But the main thing is: do you know anything either good or bad about boring the block? That's what I'm really looking into it
I know nothing about boring the block on the LNF you should email ZZP about that. I think the intention behind the 4.45 ratio is that it puts less stress on the trans case, along with the revise grinds on gears 1-5. 4.45 will give you better accel out of the corners and unless your running the nurburgring I really don't see you maxing that car on a track... hell that would be like 170mph even with the 4.45 gears.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:06 AM

I know nothing about boring the block on the LNF you should email ZZP about that. I think the intention behind the 4.45 ratio is that it puts less stress on the trans case, along with the revise grinds on gears 1-5. 4.45 will give you better accel out of the corners and unless your running the nurburgring I really don't see you maxing that car on a track... hell that would be like 170mph even with the 4.45 gears.
Thank you for all the advices (and don't worry, this time I won't say that you're a nice guy lol. Actually I have to get my ex wife whacked. Can you do it? For how much? Ahahahahahahahaha). I've spoken to Tim at ZZP today and pretty much I made up my mind.
- Stage 2 tranny with 4.45 ratio
- gridled 2.1 block (so I've dropped the Darton's idea)
- Wisecos 88mm
- Carrillos
- ZZP neutral balance shaft
- ATI SFI turbo balancer
- head/cam combo
- Probably (or maybe for sure) I will need a Meth kit
- Also thinking to get stronger axles from driveshaftshop. Don't know if level 2 are enough or I need level 5

My only doubt now is: staying with the stock valves that come with the combo or put the Supertech inconel? And eventually, stock size or .5mm oversized?

I know it is a hell of a job as far as price, probably around 10k all together, but at least now I know what to get and I hope to be able to do it by the end of 2012 (if the world doesn't end lol)
Old 11-19-2011, 12:50 AM

I'd recommend a ZZP or Ky clutch over any other personally... just my 2 cents.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:06 AM

But I have the Clutchmaster already, it is new. Until it dies, I don't have any intention to spend money on something I already have, and 1 month old.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 AM

Thank you for all the advices (and don't worry, this time I won't say that you're a nice guy lol. Actually I have to get my ex wife whacked. Can you do it? For how much? Ahahahahahahahaha). I've spoken to Tim at ZZP today and pretty much I made up my mind.
- Stage 2 tranny with 4.45 ratio
- gridled 2.1 block (so I've dropped the Darton's idea)
- Wisecos 88mm
- Carrillos
- ZZP neutral balance shaft
- ATI SFI turbo balancer
- head/cam combo
- Probably (or maybe for sure) I will need a Meth kit
- Also thinking to get stronger axles from driveshaftshop. Don't know if level 2 are enough or I need level 5

My only doubt now is: staying with the stock valves that come with the combo or put the Supertech inconel? And eventually, stock size or .5mm oversized?

I know it is a hell of a job as far as price, probably around 10k all together, but at least now I know what to get and I hope to be able to do it by the end of 2012 (if the world doesn't end lol)
So you are going to run sleeveless in the motor? I don't really like that idea but if ZZP says its cool I guess go for it. They know more than me. The reason why you put sleeves in is to protect the block in case you eat a ring... if you don't have sleeves and your car eats a ring you will need to bore it out more of get a new block, which would be spendy. That's just my .02 so don't take my word for it over ZZP's, they do know ALOT more than I do about this thing so they are the ones to ask. I would say get the strongest axles you can but in all honestly the transmission in this car is going to be a weak link... and replacing a broken axle is alot easier that a new trans... I would get axles that can take a little less power than the trans before they snap, but again just my opinion. I hate 'building something to fail' but in this case I think the axle snap vs a trans case cracking is a no brainer.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:24 AM

So you are going to run sleeveless in the motor? I don't really like that idea but if ZZP says its cool I guess go for it. They know more than me. The reason why you put sleeves in is to protect the block in case you eat a ring... if you don't have sleeves and your car eats a ring you will need to bore it out more of get a new block, which would be spendy. That's just my .02 so don't take my word for it over ZZP's, they do know ALOT more than I do about this thing so they are the ones to ask. I would say get the strongest axles you can but in all honestly the transmission in this car is going to be a weak link... and replacing a broken axle is alot easier that a new trans... I would get axles that can take a little less power than the trans before they snap, but again just my opinion. I hate 'building something to fail' but in this case I think the axle snap vs a trans case cracking is a no brainer.
I'm going with the stock sleeves because they are telling me that the gridle works the same, and if they don't install the sleeves correctly the block will brake. I don't want it to happen after spending that kind of money. I wonder if I can sleeve it and also gridle it.
Yes their stage 2 tranny will go in at the same time of the motor build. And the axles will be level 5 driveshaftshop
Old 11-19-2011, 10:36 AM

I'm going with the stock sleeves because they are telling me that the gridle works the same, and if they don't install the sleeves correctly the block will brake. I don't want it to happen after spending that kind of money. I wonder if I can sleeve it and also gridle it.
Yes their stage 2 tranny will go in at the same time of the motor build. And the axles will be level 5 driveshaftshop
Ok I was gonna say lol, the only engine I know of that runs sleeveless is the porsche V-8 from the 80s... And that thing is horrible. Good luck with the build dude, sounds like its going to be fun.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock axles work just fine. You are making the correct decision on going with the ZZP block.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
Stock axles work just fine. You are making the correct decision on going with the ZZP block.
Are you still running stock Axles?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:57 PM

I'm still on stock axles, but with the turbo upgrade and a fully engine build, I'm sure they won't be recommended, and I will go with the level 5
Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you still running stock Axles?
Yep, as is Matt at ZZP
Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have broke one stock axle, but that was after dozens of launches on slicks dumping the clutch at 6500, sometimes 7000rpm. Ryan never broke an LNF axle even with his race clutch, slicks, and wheelie bar. He was hitting 1.5 sixty foots.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
I have broke one stock axle, but that was after dozens of launches on slicks dumping the clutch at 6500, sometimes 7000rpm. Ryan never broke an LNF axle even with his race clutch, slicks, and wheelie bar. He was hitting 1.5 sixty foots.
I will just get them to be safe. I rather do things all together.
Btw, what do you think of the build that I'm planning, considering the turbo kit that I already have?
Thanks in advance Matt
Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this car is a monster already, prob on of the most powerful lnf's on here! good luck with the build and o want a pull in it once this is all said and done, gunna be amazing! ill pm you my phone died i have to get new one lost everyonesnumber
Old 11-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I will just get them to be safe. I rather do things all together.
Btw, what do you think of the build that I'm planning, considering the turbo kit that I already have?
Thanks in advance Matt
I would give you higher odds of having the aftermarket axles fail than having the stock axles fail. Its the same situation that I was talking about with the sleeves. A lot of people want to sleeve their block "just to be safe", but the design and the process involved multiply the chance of failure to a much greater level.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tcobalt421
this car is a monster already, prob on of the most powerful lnf's on here! good luck with the build and o want a pull in it once this is all said and done, gunna be amazing! ill pm you my phone died i have to get new one lost everyonesnumber
Ok no prob
Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
I would give you higher odds of having the aftermarket axles fail than having the stock axles fail. Its the same situation that I was talking about with the sleeves. A lot of people want to sleeve their block "just to be safe", but the design and the process involved multiply the chance of failure to a much greater level.
The thing is that I don't have time to drop off my car a lot of times because of my job, so I rather do it together at once. Just a question: is it possible to sleeve the motor with the Dartons and still get the girdled block that you guys make?
Thank you
Christian
Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty much at the same point. Did an extensive build and now need to build the bottom end for mine. Already have a need ported head built from zzp sitting here.

Kind of funy just sent matt a email asking questons about my build.

Anyways Best of luck on the build, looking for advice myself.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ULWiz Cobalt SS/SC
Pretty much at the same point. Did an extensive build and now need to build the bottom end for mine. Already have a need ported head built from zzp sitting here.

Kind of funy just sent matt a email asking questons about my build.

Anyways Best of luck on the build, looking for advice myself.
You will get all the answers you're looking for from ZZP, you can bet on it. This week they called be back regarding by build, and Tim was so outstanding that he stayed with me on the phone for about half hour, answering all my questions and he was so nice and supportive the all time. That's why my motor will be built by them, because I know that I will get all the help I need in case of a problem
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 PM

I made up my mind because of their incredible support. My only doubt is regarding the valves, I hope they will answer my question soon about it, and I'm sure they will

Quick Reply: Engine Build