2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Flywheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flywheel Question

Since we didnt have enough interest in the billet flywheels, only the clutches are going to be made. My question is should I put in a lightweight flywheel or resurface the stocker?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know what to tell you, facing the same debate right now. I have a Spec clutch ready to install but if I use the stock flywheel the holes for the dowel pins in the stocker need to be drilled out. Local shop that I found willing to install the clutch doesn't want any part of that as they are afraid of complications. Thinking about buying the lightweight flywheel to match once I get a response from Spec on the right one.

Still waiting on my new TO bearing ass'y to ship, so I have some time.

I'm leaning towards the lightweight flywheel so I can get it done locally around here. I'd do it myself but I think it's more than I can handle.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:22 PM

yea, but with these clutches you can use the stocker with only having to resurface.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Then that's the route I would have taken. Term2 doesn't think the lightweight flywheel will hurt the turbo spool up time though the way ours are geared. I'm running the pill mod & catless so I get boost almost immediately anyway.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a lightweight cromoly steel flywheel on mine at one point.

Didn't hurt spool up time at all.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by steddy2112
I've had a lightweight cromoly steel flywheel on mine at one point.

Didn't hurt spool up time at all.
Was there any negatives. Someone told me there might be idle and cruising issues.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an LNF but my Eclipse had a 9lb fidanza in it and it hurt low end slightly but the car loved to rev and felt so much more willing at any speed to accelerate. Idle and cruising was stock like. I loved it and its going back in with the next clutch (mitsubishi took it out and wouldnt warranty their clutch with it so a stocker went in...)
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cmiller8006
Was there any negatives. Someone told me there might be idle and cruising issues.
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

No issues.

At all.

A little harder to take off, that's it...
Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Just raise the idle a bit with HPT then, should take off fine from idle. Thanks for the info Steddy.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Personally.... I kept the stocker. Didn't bother resurfacing mine since the car had 3400 miles on it at the time of swap. I've owned a million lightweight (both lightened stockers and aluminum) and I think its mostly placebo on a street car.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gimpster
Personally.... I kept the stocker. Didn't bother resurfacing mine since the car had 3400 miles on it at the time of swap. I've owned a million lightweight (both lightened stockers and aluminum) and I think its mostly placebo on a street car.
Depends on the weight of the flywheel and the clutch used. But anytime you remove rotational mass it will free up horsepower. However it will also cause the engine to accelerate and decelerate quicker. So if you think its a placebo affect then you were either running heavier aluminum flywheels or have never actually ran an aluminum flywheel. Because trust me there is a large difference.

The vehicle is easier to kill from a stop it requires a bit more throttle and clutch control but nothing bad usually even when going with a massively lighter flywheel.

when I had the fidanza in my eclipse if you didnt know the car it would catch people off guard. It made it more difficult for friends who werent into cars to be able to drive it.

So like I said you either have never had a truly lightweight flywheel or are totally numb to your vehicle.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:02 AM

im running the clutchmasters flywheel... pretty flywheel, but one thing i have noticed, it feels like the car will stall easier...

im running it with teh factory clutch
Old 02-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have more traction than power, a heavy flwheel can help you launch harder. More rotating mass will store more energy. It will also make your shifts hit harder for the same reason. Since most turbo Cobalts easily lose traction off the line and the transmissions are not bulletproof, I prefer to run a light-weight flywheel. Side effects to the light flywheel include less engine speed stability, which make the idle a little more rough or inconsistent. Taking off requires more throttle initially as already pointed out. Downshifting is not as effective to slow the car down because the engine changes speeds much quicker. All in all, it is just personal preference.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
If you have more traction than power, a heavy flwheel can help you launch harder. More rotating mass will store more energy. It will also make your shifts hit harder for the same reason. Since most turbo Cobalts easily lose traction off the line and the transmissions are not bulletproof, I prefer to run a light-weight flywheel. Side effects to the light flywheel include less engine speed stability, which make the idle a little more rough or inconsistent. Taking off requires more throttle initially as already pointed out. Downshifting is not as effective to slow the car down because the engine changes speeds much quicker. All in all, it is just personal preference.
Thanks for the input. Do you guys run a lightweight flywheel?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cmiller8006
Thanks for the input. Do you guys run a lightweight flywheel?
Yes, we run Fidanza aluminum flywheels- https://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt...=990&catid=146
Old 02-14-2010, 08:55 PM

First of all, I'm surprised someone even replied to me on this site!

I've had Fidanza's in my old 1995 Mustang GT (SPEC actually on it), 2G FWD, AWD and Toyota MR2. Later on the 2G AWD I switched to an ACT light steel flywheel. After that one I went with one of the RRE lightened stockers. After that I parted it out and cut it up with a sawzall, but thats another story. You are right, it was very easy to stall the Mustang in particular after installing.

The MR2 Fidanza particularly pissed me off because they sent a batch of them out with ring gear issues. Nothing like GRRIIIIIIIIND on most starts. That son bitch came back out really fast.

You may very well be right, I might be numb to my cars ... but in the end I felt the money I spent on them didn't seem.... well spent. My ET's were the same before/after and I'm a shitty driver anyway. Putting damn near $1100 of clutch and flywheel into my econoshitbox Cobalt just wasn't going to happen hehe. If theres one quality my car doesnt need.. its to be able to rev faster. This thing already plasters it on the highway in 3rd.

Those flywheels I bought were mostly one of those mods I did when I was out of mods to do, if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
Depends on the weight of the flywheel and the clutch used. But anytime you remove rotational mass it will free up horsepower. However it will also cause the engine to accelerate and decelerate quicker. So if you think its a placebo affect then you were either running heavier aluminum flywheels or have never actually ran an aluminum flywheel. Because trust me there is a large difference.

The vehicle is easier to kill from a stop it requires a bit more throttle and clutch control but nothing bad usually even when going with a massively lighter flywheel.

when I had the fidanza in my eclipse if you didnt know the car it would catch people off guard. It made it more difficult for friends who werent into cars to be able to drive it.

So like I said you either have never had a truly lightweight flywheel or are totally numb to your vehicle.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
Yes, we run Fidanza aluminum flywheels- https://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt...=990&catid=146
I looked at your site and it doesnt have one listed for the tc, I take it they dont have one? If not whats the next best, spec or clutchmasters?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM

People generally badrap Clutchmasters, The SPEC seem to have a better rep, some prefer Exedy.

I went with the Spec stage 2+ and lightweight flywheel since it's a DD and I didn't want to do the stop & go traffic on the 3+ since the 2+ has enough holding power from Specs specs. I'm old & my leg gets tired. lol.

If you keep the stock flywheel with the Spec, be ready to have the dowel pin holes drilled out in it for the new clutch. Between getting the stock flywheel faced & drilled I chose to just replace it with the mate to the clutch. A local shop wasn't too keen on getting the flywheel work done, too many places to screw it up I suppose.
Just a personal choice over paying a machinist I don't know to do the work on the stocker. You pay your $$$ and take your chances no matter what.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
People generally badrap Clutchmasters, The SPEC seem to have a better rep, some prefer Exedy.

I went with the Spec stage 2+ and lightweight flywheel since it's a DD and I didn't want to do the stop & go traffic on the 3+ since the 2+ has enough holding power from Specs specs. I'm old & my leg gets tired. lol.

If you keep the stock flywheel with the Spec, be ready to have the dowel pin holes drilled out in it for the new clutch. Between getting the stock flywheel faced & drilled I chose to just replace it with the mate to the clutch. A local shop wasn't too keen on getting the flywheel work done, too many places to screw it up I suppose.
Just a personal choice over paying a machinist I don't know to do the work on the stocker. You pay your $$$ and take your chances no matter what.
Good to know about the clutchmasters. Yea I am not going with a spec or clutchmasters clutch. Just have to find a good flywheel
Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM

Good call on the 2+ though, wish I had gone that route.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gimpster
Good call on the 2+ though, wish I had gone that route.
I read a post or two that the Stage 2+ had some separation issues in the past on the disc with the different layers, but I'll let the group know how it works out. 437 ft/lbs rated should be more tq than I need anyway. One side of the disc is puck-ish and the other side is almost solid. Hopefully it'll be chatter free on the daily commute.

I'll snap some pix of the clutch & disc & put them in my gallery, the flywheel isn't here yet.

Sorry for the thread-jack.