2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Hahn VS HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHN is the way to go. I've had two friends that are at dlrs play with the ECM, the guys are experts when it comes to ECMs and they could not tell I had taken off or installed anything. the BSR as it's properly called that Hahn sells is a company that has had 20+ yewars experience with nothing but turbo powered cars, and many high dollar turbocharged cars too. HP has not. HP cars here in my area are having oil blow-back in the air filter and rich issues as well, My PPC\BSR from Hanhn has been nothing short of excellent.

Also, when you do take your car in, and they do need to check your ECM, with HP the dlr will find it unless you take it to your tuner and have it de-tuned which costs more $$$, then when you get your car back, yet another re-tune to put her back into power overdrive.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

man thats a good point. I never thought of it like that. With the tuning and retuning to go to the dealer and then retuning again. I really want to try that Hahn PPC
Old 09-28-2008, 09:01 PM

The Hahn PPC pays for itself, especially considering when a dlr does check the compter, you need to take your tune off and with HP that means going back to the tuner and forking over $$ to take the tune off then yet back again to re-tune the car again, and over, and over. It'll cost more with HP in 4 visits to the dlr if they check the computer. Plus software updates occur and the dlr will need to tap the ECM for this.

I'd trust a company >>> BSR (Hahn PPC) for their tuning knowledge and experience over a company that, for the most part has tuning experience for mornally aspirated engines and that's where most of HP's tuning is, whereas BSR is nothing but TURBOS. BSR knows the LNF as it's been in other cars around the world for 6 years.
They just know the business of tuning far, far better then HP when it comes to turbocharged applications, and as I stated, lots of guys are getting rich running issues and oil blow-back in the air filter with HP, my car has had the Hahn tune for 4500 miles and not one issue or any oil blow-back. I'm not saying HP is not good, as I had their tune on my 600hp 2006 GTO and it was nothing short of fantastic!!, but in this case I went with a trusted source. I also have a 2002 Volvo S70R (the old 850T5-R) and had a turbo 2000 jetta GLS so I have experience with turbo applications I know of three guys that had a HP tune, came acorss the issues I listed and now have a PPC and will not look back.

YES, THE HAHN RETURNS THE CAR BACK TO NORMAL. THE SOFTWARE MARRIES ITSELF TO THE CARS ECM. PLUG'N'PLAY, it's that simple. I've had it looked at by very trusting personal friends that work with ECMs on GM cars, they've been doing this kind of work for 16 years each, so they know their stuff. Plus on an inside note: GM and BSR have a silent relationship.

Last edited by SportredSS; 09-28-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahn PPC would make more sense for some people. It gives them the flexibility to have a little extra power for DE's and can revert it back to stock after the event and enjoy the fuel economy.

I guess for most people, the steep entry price and the fact that it locks the device to your specific PCM is the major reason why some people have second thoughts.

Last edited by rocketpunch1221; 09-30-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SportredSS
The Hahn PPC pays for itself, especially considering when a dlr does check the compter, you need to take your tune off and with HP that means going back to the tuner and forking over $$ to take the tune off then yet back again to re-tune the car again, and over, and over. It'll cost more with HP in 4 visits to the dlr if they check the computer. Plus software updates occur and the dlr will need to tap the ECM for this.
So what if I get a spare ecu and use HP ? Just pop in the original ECU for service ..

How do you get it tuned with hahn after you add performance parts? shell out more money to them..

Cool
Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 PM

You wait for them to release a new tune that supports the mods you have. As it stands HP tuners is the only way to get a custom tune that will get the most out of your set up. All of the canned tunes will only be able to do so much.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Hahn's has options... how it will work I don't know.

But being that the PPC connects to the internet and can be updated.. if a tune needed adjustment for an intake for example. They could do lots of things like offer a free downloadable tune adjustment if you buy their intake or charge a relatively small fee if you don't opt for their intake but need the tune...

I haven't heard crap... but I can't see Hahn's trying to rip everyone off to update a tune for a mod....

But my point was if they need to update, it can be done right over the internet.... pretty easy. Easier than taking back to a tuner.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

Red face

Originally Posted by Zander916
Hahn's has options... how it will work I don't know.

But being that the PPC connects to the internet and can be updated.. if a tune needed adjustment for an intake for example. They could do lots of things like offer a free downloadable tune adjustment if you buy their intake or charge a relatively small fee if you don't opt for their intake but need the tune...

I haven't heard crap... but I can't see Hahn's trying to rip everyone off to update a tune for a mod....

But my point was if they need to update, it can be done right over the internet.... pretty easy. Easier than taking back to a tuner.
I do not have a problem paying Hahn for the updated tune or custom tune but they can really only have few options for performance parts that are out right now so if they could just say in bold how much it would be to change the tune/ add upgrades I would be leaning towards the Hahn solution. I am sure they are marketing to the right people because it is hard to trust some one elses tune if they aren't a professional or trusted in the tuning community.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by BowTieTillIdie
I do not have a problem paying Hahn for the updated tune or custom tune but they can really only have few options for performance parts that are out right now so if they could just say in bold how much it would be to change the tune/ add upgrades I would be leaning towards the Hahn solution. I am sure they are marketing to the right people because it is hard to trust some one elses tune if they aren't a professional or trusted in the tuning community.
Does anyone tune the 09's yet havent heard anything thought there were some changes or something? I'm sure they are working on it if not.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:01 AM

beta for hptuners is going to be out in a lil bit... i am not sure if the bsr/hahn tune is compatable with the 09's or not though

Originally Posted by jarhead
Yes the BSR is the way to go in the long run and the power is intense also good to know it was undetectable also the back to stock option was why I chose it also. So much for the dozen posts saying it was detectable,just a little bias there i would say And I think the dealership would kinda be clued in when I brought a spare ecm in for clutch relearn with the other tunes any updates were 75.00 and up plus sending in the pcm over and over the Bsr was a bargain in the long run. If GM's stage 1 tune is superior I may go with it we have yet to see that,It doesn't make sense they need three sensorsand a tune to do what just a tune does now but time will tell.

Yes the BSR is the way to go in the long run and the power is intense also good to know it was undetectable also the back to stock option was why I chose it also. So much for the dozen posts saying it was detectable,just a little bias there i would say And I think the dealership would kinda be clued in when I brought a spare ecm in for clutch relearn with the other tunes any updates were 75.00 and up plus sending in the pcm over and over the Bsr was a bargain in the long run. If GM's stage 1 tune is superior I may go with it we have yet to see that,It doesn't make sense they need three sensors and a tune to do what just a tune does now but time will tell.

so ur saying it doesn't matter if u do the hahn because as long as u put it back to stock with the hahn they can't tell?? i thought the past 10 changes done to the ecu are saved? this is getting confusing lol

Last edited by lecznar1; 09-29-2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lecznar1
beta for hptuners is going to be out in a lil bit... i am not sure if the bsr/hahn tune is compatable with the 09's or not though

so ur saying it doesn't matter if u do the hahn because as long as u put it back to stock with the hahn they can't tell?? i thought the past 10 changes done to the ecu are saved? this is getting confusing lol
They don't know . Frankly I think half of em are talking out their asses.

Smart People will-

Buy an ECU - Put it in the safe

Mod your car

Install New ecu

Get the clutch etc retrained in the new ecu

Find reliable tuning

IF IT BLOWS UP-
Take off all mods keep stock parts if she goes south you and shrug your shoulders with original ecu back in the car and take it to chevy . I'd like to see how the hahn guys can do that .. LOL sets it back to factory. BIG DEAL your busted anyway if you flash it it will show I am pretty sure the HASH file etc in the ecu will show with HAHN.

Or

Buy Hahn system

Void warranty

Cry about it. Fix it Yourself ....

HMMMMMMMM

This post is DONE.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 AM

HAHN is the way to go. I've had two friends that are at dlrs play with the ECM, the guys are experts when it comes to ECMs and they could not tell I had taken off or installed anything. the BSR as it's properly called that Hahn sells is a company that has had 20+ yewars experience with nothing but turbo powered cars, and many high dollar turbocharged cars too. HP has not. HP cars here in my area are having oil blow-back in the air filter and rich issues as well, My PPC\BSR from Hanhn has been nothing short of excellent.

Also, when you do take your car in, and they do need to check your ECM, with HP the dlr will find it unless you take it to your tuner and have it de-tuned which costs more $$$, then when you get your car back, yet another re-tune to put her back into power overdrive.
Well it seems that it's not detected that's what I've been reading also last ten were detectable maybe people don't know for a fact what is detectable I have heard the 09's have a different operating system maybe they will be harder to crack a tune for and would have to be physically present for warranty work I would be more worried if my car was an 09 instead of an 08.

Last edited by jarhead; 09-29-2008 at 01:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 AM

What kind of gains will the Hahn tune give to you?

Stock [Per Road & Track Road tests]
0-60 5.5 seconds
0-100 12.9 seconds
1/4 mile 14.0 seconds @ 101.8

So has anyone tested just a tune and what gains [other than dyno hp/tq] that you see?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Smallywood
What kind of gains will the Hahn tune give to you?

Stock [Per Road & Track Road tests]
0-60 5.5 seconds
0-100 12.9 seconds
1/4 mile 14.0 seconds @ 101.8

So has anyone tested just a tune and what gains [other than dyno hp/tq] that you see?
I believe Hahn did a 13.2 with his tune and 3" catback - but expect to be a lil slower than his times. He's quite the driver.
http://www.turbosystem.com/ProjectVe...obaltSS-TC.htm
Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Zander916

Problem is there hasnt been any updates to the hahn/bsr tune since it was released, ask the solstice guys. They've been waiting for a stage 2 tune but nothing has been released.
Remember its not hahn making the adjustments to the ppc, its bsr in sweden.
Unless hahn confirms there will be an updated tune i wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a easy way to solve this guys. someone bring you car or send your pcm to me and I'll let you know if its detectable. I have the tech2 and the same access a dealer has.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by fast98
There is a easy way to solve this guys. someone bring you car or send your pcm to me and I'll let you know if its detectable. I have the tech2 and the same access a dealer has.
somebody give this man their ecu!! lol
Old 09-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Ah he has already had two techs at dealership test it and they couldn't tell it was there thats good enough for me.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
love me some HP Tuners!
Old 09-29-2008, 03:49 PM

^^ ditto
Old 09-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah he has already had two techs at dealership test it and they couldn't tell it was there thats good enough for me.
Not every tech is a good tech. You would be suprised at how little some of the techs at the dealers know. They could have missed it
Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by fast98
Not every tech is a good tech. You would be suprised at how little some of the techs at the dealers know. They could have missed it
Yes maybe but it may be possible they cannot see that particular tune, Everyone has been saying that it definitely will show up without even knowing it for a fact. I'm just going to stay in a good relationship with my dealership service and hope it doesn't become an issue, also I'm sure they want to sell my wife and I vehicles in the future.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:57 AM

i just wanna know if they can detect it and then void ur warranty if something happens to go south and they blame it on the tune. If they can I MUST find a way to get around it lol
Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 AM

Yes maybe but it may be possible they cannot see that particular tune, Everyone has been saying that it definitely will show up without even knowing it for a fact. I'm just going to stay in a good relationship with my dealership service and hope it doesn't become an issue, also I'm sure they want to sell my wife and I vehicles in the future.
Originally Posted by lecznar1
i just wanna know if they can detect it and then void ur warranty if something happens to go south and they blame it on the tune. If they can I MUST find a way to get around it lol
It won't be an issue until you are trying to claim warranty work.

Dealer is all about making money and believe me they make much more with service than selling cars. There is absolutely no financial gain for them to call you out for simply because they found you mess with the ECU, and risk you not going back to them for service. As a matter of fact they actually wanted to suggest they give lieniency on your car so you will actually want go back to them for any work. As long as you pay for the service, honestly they don't care.

However, if you have some kind of a problem and tries to claim warranty work. They will suddently have an entire log of every mod you have done. All dealer HATE warranty work, cause they don't get dime for the work.

If you have a problem that costs a few grand to fix, between the choice of doing it for free or getting paid for it. What do think they will do?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BowTieTillIdie
Not really but I am a network engineer so I am sure after getting the right input from others I will be able to understand the air to fuel ratios etc...... I hope I am really not into the canned thing. I have overclocked PC's so it can't be much more difficult ...
Get HP Tuners Pro and you will be all set. Also get a spare ECU just in case something happens because the dealer CAN tell that you have data logged. That is what I'm doing/did. If you need any help tuning the LNF just shoot me a PM, glad to help you out!

Also forgot to mention that they haven't released the software update (2.24) yet that will include the 09, so far 08 works only. They should be releasing it within the next few weeks tho.

Originally Posted by rocketpunch1221
It won't be an issue until you are trying to claim warranty work.

Dealer is all about making money and believe me they make much more with service than selling cars. There is absolutely no financial gain for them to call you out for simply because they found you mess with the ECU, and risk you not going back to them for service. As a matter of fact they actually wanted to suggest they give lieniency on your car so you will actually want go back to them for any work. As long as you pay for the service, honestly they don't care.

However, if you have some kind of a problem and tries to claim warranty work. They will suddently have an entire log of every mod you have done. All dealer HATE warranty work, cause they don't get dime for the work.

If you have a problem that costs a few grand to fix, between the choice of doing it for free or getting paid for it. What do think they will do?
dealers dont hate warranty work, they actually make the most money off of warranty work, trust me I know because i'm VERY close with my dealer

Last edited by 08BlackSS/TC; 09-30-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Hahn VS HP Tuners