2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

HELP PLEASE!? - Cant seem to get a definitive answer!! (BPV/Solenoid/Spool)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP PLEASE!? - Cant seem to get a definitive answer!! (BPV/Solenoid/Spool)

I believe I had found my Bypass Solenoid to be faulty/gone bad. Reason being is I am experiencing a very heavy spool sound when building pressure. (Loud like a diesel semi-truck type spool sound) … Also, even the slightest press of the gas pedal while in vacuum results in a full release of pressure. Even if only a ¼ pedal push to -10 vacuum results in a full discharge of pressure sounds from the BPV. You would think from how loud the 'blow off' sound is that I had a Vent-to-Atmosphere setup, but I do not.

I was able to get a new Solenoid from a Chevy Dealership. I put it on and the spool sound calmed down quite a lot. So much to the point where it was nearly not loud enough for my personal sound preference tastes anymore... Regardless, it seemed to fix the heavy spool sound. Being that it did make it quieter though, I wanted to look into it all more and do some testing. So, I swapped the old Solenoid back onto the car took a drive to make some notes and then swapped the new solenoid back on to the car. BUT, to my surprise at this point, the ‘new solenoid’ now once put back onto the car a 2nd time, no longer functioned like it did the 1st time. Instead, it functions literally exactly like the original solenoid, as if it was now also faulty/functioning incorrectly too. So, at this point, now I’m just completely confused.

*I was able to get the dealership to swap me a new solenoid for the one that had seemly become 'broken' randomly during my testing. That said, I have yet to install this 3rd and final new solenoid on to the car as I do not want to somehow cause it to break again or damage it/go bad.

Thoughts anyone??
Old 10-31-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
The easiest thing to do is bypass the selenoid altogether for your testing.

To do this:
Hook the vacuum line from the BPV directly to the manifold
Remove the vacuum line from the selenoid that goes to the lower charge pipe and cap that off.

I don't know if you need to disconnect the electrical connector.

Doing this will tell you if the BPV or selenoid is the culprit.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Based on Ur description of the issues there is literally nothing wrong with anything. That's how it is. Even in vac it will release the air. The bpv will open when u let go of the gas no matter that. And why u complain about loud spool? U have a new intake? That will make it loud, colder temps will make it louder. Nothing to worry about. If u want the bpv not to open so easily put a stiffer spring in