2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

help with ttr poly trans bushing

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with ttr poly trans bushing

well like title says i can not find out how to install the ttr poly trans bushing. if anybody has any advice or a link it would be greatly appreciated. as i will continue to look for a thread on this
Old 08-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
press the old one out, then press the new one in. What exactly are you having trouble with?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 PM

press the new one in. we even dropped my friends dodge ram 1500 on it and it wont go in
Old 08-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to drop 2 dodge rams on it...
You need to go to a shop to press them out.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:34 PM

we got it out just neede to get the new one in. ha ha ha no **** right i was asking him if he knew someone with a dually.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Put it in a vise or press and do it, should pop right in.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i did mine using a rock, 2 flat head screw drivers, and some lotion for lubbing the TTR mount to make it slide in easier...
Old 08-21-2009, 09:07 PM

well we had a successful night of not completly putting the bushing in. so we put the old one back in and it drives good. so tomorrow mornig im going to an auto hobby shop where they have a hydrualic press. but it was tougher than **** to do this. idk y.the bushing is significantly( or however you spell that) larger than the opening of the mount. yall make it sound so easy i dont understand it?i could only get like 1/2 of the bushing in it was a total PITA.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 AM

Good luck... I went to a local shop and a GM tech shop (both with hydraulic presses) and never got mine in. The bushing is actually 1/4" larger (measured with caliper) than the stock bushing (have read reports of bulging afterwards) . I even shaved the sides of mine with no success...

Ended up selling them to a guy with a ss/sc since that is what they were spec'd for.... don't know if the ss/tc tranny bushings are smaller but based on my experienced I wouldn't be surprised if they were...

Btw... I will warn you that I received no help from TTR even after everything I went through... they insisted that they have sold "hundreds of the TTR bushings" for the sstc with "absolutely no installation problems before". They also admitted that they have never spec'd the sstc to see if the specs are different or installed them themselves on a sstc to see if they were different....

I will never buy from TTR again!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:46 AM

Good Luck.That's just nuts not spec'ing to fit what could easily be different,and then selling it.I'm sure with the proper amount of force,a square peg could be fit into a round hole.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:57 AM

well thats just ******* great.looks like tomorrow will be full of dissa pointment.oh a failed to mention thats we fucked up the stock bushing and am now driving with that one. but it drives good.but maybe in the mornig i will just shave the **** out of it. this is just complete bs. i emaild ttr for directions and they said to look here as there are many write up on here. wack as hell.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM

Yep...sounds like you got the same run around as me... I was lucky in that I had only one of my stock bushings pressed out so they were able to get it back in without issue....

Right now I am saving for OTT rotated tranny mounts - they may be expensive, but you might want to look into them. They were on sale at the beginning of July and you can buy only the front one if that is the one you need....

The biggest thing that pissed me off was that TTR was not willing to accept the fact that they could possibly have a problem that they need to look into.... They basically made it to be my fault for not getting them in (i.e. It is only a tranny bushing - how hard could it be for you to actually get it in? - or - Its pretty obvious that you need a stronger press - or - Others have done it - why can't you?)... While it is true that there are certain parts that are interchangeable between the tc and the sc, I really think that the specs in this case may be different. I wish you the best and I hope you got these as part of a deal of theirs, because in my case they never seemed to want to refund my money or take the part back (probably because I shaved the corners after they told me to)... you probably will be in the same boat....
Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 PM

I did mine, just have to shave the lip off one side of the bushing, use lots and lots of oil (synthetic motor oil would be best), and a good amount of force.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ManTFresh
press the new one in. we even dropped my friends dodge ram 1500 on it and it wont go in
Even a truck weighing in at 7,000 lbs placing 1 wheel on it is only 1/4 that wieght or about 1750 lbs, NOT even a ton of pressure... You need A LOT more than that...

You need an actual press, if you have a good press and a good operator you will push them in there. You want them tight, as you do not want them coming out...

Originally Posted by mkriebs
I did mine, just have to shave the lip off one side of the bushing, use lots and lots of oil (synthetic motor oil would be best), and a good amount of force.
Exactly this is what we have been hearing. Poly is flexible and will go in there, again they fit, very tight, as they should.

Last edited by TurboTechRacing; 08-22-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Oh, and TTR was greatly helpful to me in the process. I had taken pictures to make a How to, but my camera is a disfunctional POS and ruined them, otherwise I would post how I did it. I did it with 2 people and a vise, so if you have a press, it HAS GOT to be easier.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:01 PM

well i went tp press them in today and had no luck what so ever. i understand that they are suppose to fit tight. but i press so much that i started to tear the bushing a lil bit from it always going in crooked. i understand that i could always put a shitload of pressure on in but would not want my mounts to crack in the process.but yeah they are giving my the run around like they did you. bigger press blah blah blah. well not even that i asked them if they spec'd them to the ss/sc and did not answer me. so yeah. and as you can see here 2 out of 4 ppl have and have not been able to get them on. i really like ttr their engine mount is the **** and would recommend it to anyone. i might try shaving off one side but do not know what to do. i ship my car wednesday to the UK. so might just chunk it up as a loss and sell them to the ss/sc down the street
Old 08-23-2009, 01:43 PM

Sell them if you can... I look at it this way - If two shops (one that does suspension work and one that is a GM tech shop) that have experience doing this type of work can not get them in then there is an issue... I even have the measurement difference to prove it... 1/4" difference is a lot to ask for in poly compression (especially when the poly is as dense as it is in this case).... I can understand how everyone is having to shave the sides... Something tells me that there is a lot of shaving going on... would really need to see a picture for me to believe otherwise...

One point I tried to make with TTR is that I shouldn't have to modify a component that they are selling for my car if they tell me it works on my vehicle...

I am sorry for the loss... I would check the stock mount one more time to see how it is holding up and pack it up... Save up for those rotated mounts and see if OTT will ship them overseas to you...

I have also had success with the TTR upper engine mount, but the way I was treated over two silly poly bushings ruined it for me.... All they had to do was say "Hey, 1/4" difference? Well, if you weren't able to install them and you haven't shaved them yet, just send them back and we will be happy to refund your purchase" You see, at the time I had gotten mine as part of a special and was only out $10 (that is all they had to eat), but instead I went through two weeks of crap (yep, should have probably hung in the towel - but I tend to work off of principles)... Ended up shaving them after they told me to and sold them them to a sc owner as a last resort....

Sorry for the rant, but it is nice to know I am not the only one out there... I hope that I can also save someone else the hassle in the future....
Old 08-23-2009, 02:17 PM

ya you have to shave one side lip off, lube it up good and press it in. i used my buddies press, it was a PITA but it can be done. you will like them i also have the motor mount to
Old 08-23-2009, 10:33 PM

well i will make one more attemp. shaving is not an opiton. im going to put them in a -100 deg.Farehiet
freezer and measur them at three diff time points. 2hr,4hr,6hr,. to see what is the best secrease in size for the time allotted.( its like im doing a science prject or something). im hoping for 1/8" decrease then if so i will put them on the following day tuesday. and when i do i will load them with artillery grease and see what happends. if all else fails. i see ottp stage 2 in the foreseeable feature.(well thats what CLEO said.)
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 PM

i brought mine to sears and they did it for 90 bucks. didnt even say they had a problem *shrugs* took maybe 45 minutes from start to finish and installation
Old 08-23-2009, 11:21 PM

I just installed my ttr bushings yesterday.

Started with the front one, took the whole plastic mount off used 2 big flat head screw drivers and wd40 for lube and worked the old bushing out. Then used the back of my mom's avalanche 2 blocks of wood and a jack and pressed the bushing up in like a press using the jack against the hitch of the truck. Worked like a charm.

Did the same steps for the rear bushing.

Also installed ttr solid engine mount

Me and a buddy total time while bull shitting 1 hour.

Love the bushings and mount.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 AM

well i dont know what the hell is oging on with mine then. but i added this link and that how my stock ones look. https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/drivetrain-79/question-gmpp-trans-mounts-183333/ ( i really don't know how to do it correctly but copy and paste seems ok to me) and i believe the guy is saying that thoes are the upgraded gmpp mounts. do your stock mounts look like this? i hope so cause if that is the case, i got a front bushing to replace due to the beating it took to get it out.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 PM

well i finally got that damn bushing in. holy **** man what a task. the freezing method did not work at all. it shrank .05. so i grabbed an unfrozen bushing, put assembly fluid on int insed of the mount and around the lip of the bushing. put it in a lever press with a tool that went around it and a lil bit of 2 manpower later, it went in. holy **** was i excited. but i still got one more to go. so got like a 50% yay going on here