2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

how the lnf crank breather system

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
how the lnf crank breather system

well for any of u who want to know how the lnf crank case vent system works, here it is. started tearing my engine apart to test some things, like if there is a block in the breather system. this is how it works.

ok if u take off rocker cover u have 4 ports in the head for the vent system. 1 on the back, 3 in the front. the one on the back is connected to fresh air intake from the air intake. the hose with check valve, this port goes all the way to the crank case. that's how it gets fresh air. then u go to the 3 in the front. the 2 on either side and one in the middle. the sides ones come up from the crank case, so it seems, and directly into the valve cover. the one in the middle goes directly to the pcv valve in the intake manifold and nowhere else. so how it works. when ur in boost fresh air comes in to the back one to the crank case, and back up to the rocker cover where it exits the port in the rocker cover that goes to the turbo, and the air goes back into the intake system and reburned. the pcv valve in the intake manifold is held closed by boost so nothing goes that way. the sucktion of the turbo provides the vacuum for the system to work under boost. when engine is in vacuum and not boosting there isn't enough suction from turbo to make it vent, so the pcv takes over, it is open in vacuum so all the venting of the crank case goes through that middle port on the head that leads to the pcv valve and back into intake manifold to be burned in combustion.

so hope that explains it, that's how I can see it works.
The following users liked this post:
Balento18 (10-24-2018)
Old 05-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

sorry for spelling mistakes I know are in there, to lazy to look
Old 05-07-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Were you high when you made this? Cause this is GENIUS!!!!!. Jk.

The PCV hose connected to the intake tube is just for fresh air to the crankcase. The one on the back on the valve cover goes to the turbo and it sucks in the Positive pressure then sends it into your intercooler and engine.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sl0wbaltSS
Were you high when you made this? Cause this is GENIUS!!!!!. Jk.

The PCV hose connected to the intake tube is just for fresh air to the crankcase. The one on the back on the valve cover goes to the turbo and it sucks in the Positive pressure then sends it into your intercooler and engine.
ya that's what I said. but there is more to it than that.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

but like I said, I think, I could be wrong on some of this, this is just what I'm observing how its all routed and because of how its routed how it works
Old 05-14-2016, 10:12 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Look how many ports are on the valve cover. May need to rethink your route
Old 05-15-2016, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
Look how many ports are on the valve cover. May need to rethink your route
??

Their are 2 port on valve cover that have hoses going to intake and turbo. Their are 4 ports, or passages I guess under the cover in the head, all 4 of those are part of the system. One goes down to crank case from the port on valve cover, 2 come up from crank case into valve cover which vent to turbo, one goes to intake manifold. Did I not explain this using the correct words or are u guys just not following ?
Old 05-15-2016, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Maybe I should take a pic and label so u guys understand what I'm saying here lol
Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomj77
well for any of u who want to know how the lnf crank case vent system works, here it is. started tearing my engine apart to test some things, like if there is a block in the breather system. this is how it works.

ok if u take off rocker cover u have 4 ports in the head for the vent system. 1 on the back, 3 in the front. the one on the back is connected to fresh air intake from the air intake. the hose with check valve, this port goes all the way to the crank case. that's how it gets fresh air. then u go to the 3 in the front. the 2 on either side and one in the middle. the sides ones come up from the crank case, so it seems, and directly into the valve cover. the one in the middle goes directly to the pcv valve in the intake manifold and nowhere else. so how it works. when ur in boost fresh air comes in to the back one to the crank case, and back up to the rocker cover where it exits the port in the rocker cover that goes to the turbo, and the air goes back into the intake system and reburned. the pcv valve in the intake manifold is held closed by boost so nothing goes that way. the sucktion of the turbo provides the vacuum for the system to work under boost. when engine is in vacuum and not boosting there isn't enough suction from turbo to make it vent, so the pcv takes over, it is open in vacuum so all the venting of the crank case goes through that middle port on the head that leads to the pcv valve and back into intake manifold to be burned in combustion.

so hope that explains it, that's how I can see it works.
Thank you for this info! I am working on proper oil catch can system for my LNF. Any suggestions on inlet size/install route for the oil catch can?
Old 10-26-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Well this is old. I'm also working on one. Tested it this morning...needs some work. Will chime in later